2014 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,581 - $24,816.

10/7.4

Based on 88 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Car is much better than I expected from a VW Golf.

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pros: "Fuel efficient, sporty suspension, a lot of torque"

Cons: "Road noise, expensive"

Trip to the White Sands NM

"The car has been great since I got it new in October 2011 (2012 model) EGR valve went bad during the waranty period but no onther malfunction since then. I have got from 68 MPGs downhill (Ruidoso to Roswell NM) and 58 MPGs at constant 65 mph (Austin to Dallas TX) all the way down to 26 MPGs during an enthusiasts run (we were constantly going over 100 MPH and then back down to speed limits) The nav system had a feature of a stopover destination before your final destination but I used it once and when I turned the car back on the NAV didnt work properly. It insisted that I never reached the stopover destination, so it didnt want to tell me how to get to my final destination. I never used that feature again and I never had another problem with the nav. Other than that the nav was very good, and fast. I liked the speed limit information. While the car is moving, the nav has a very anoying warning saying that you should not operate the keyboard while in motion. You can just OK that and continue. The materials inside feel upscale. Buttons feel properly put toguether. I really like the cabin. This car feels well planted to the ground and speed becomes decieving. It is very stable at high speeds and confortable at low speeds. Well balanced stock suspension. Even by closing the door you can immediately tell how well built this car is. I love cars and I really wish I could afford to keep this car while buying something else at the same time. Almost forgot, road noise is so bad on some roads that you cant use the bluetooth for calls. That is my major complain with the car."

Trip to the White Sands NM

A fine, snug little car.

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "engineering, build, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "slow derfroster, heater controls"

"Reliable, fun to drive, excellent fit and finish. A bit tight inside, especially in winter attire. Radio and CD have fine sound. Good snow handling with winter tires. Downside: Diesel takes 10 minutes to warm up in winter, so slow defroster. Heat controls are tiny, hard to read and not intuitive. Diesel fuel costs can cancel out higher mileage ratings."

fun to drive!

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "awesome mileage"

Cons: "only black as an interior option"

"great on road trips and popping around the city"

Base Golf suited my needs perfectly

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Base model has everything you need"

Cons: "2.5 I5 engine not so frugal with gas"

"I found a dealer demo 2011 Golf with 6k miles on it in the spring of 2012. It was priced about $5,0000 below original sticker price of $21k. The base model lacks interior features like center armrest storage bins and the plastic wheel covers look cheap. It still had bluetooth, heated mirrors and power everything, however. I last owned a VW about 20 years ago and I missed the handling it had. Something about their combination of steering, braking, suspension and acceleration just wasn't there in the Ford, Dodge or Hondas I've owned more recently. This Golf has only left me stranded once. The factory battery died in the oppressive August heat of Texas, but it was 3 years old. Thanks to a short commute, I drive less than 10k miles per year and it is mostly city driving. My combined mileage is usually around 22 MPG which I wish was a higher number. The weird 5 cylinder 2.5 engine is no longer offered on new VW's and I think that is a good thing. If I had a long commute I would probably gotten something like a Honda Fit. The service/oil change intervals are 10k miles and the first three were free. When I hit 40k miles this fall, the dealer says to expect to pay around $500. There is an independent Audi-VW shop near me that charges about $325 for that service. My car is out of warranty (36 month/30k miles) so I may opt to take it there. Overall, I am still happy with the driving experience and the fact that I have paid zero for anything except a battery, a tire damaged by road debris, and new wipers. This car is roomy and practical enough for me and I expect with proper maintenance I could keep driving it without major problems at least until it is a decade old."

bang for your buck!

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"I bought my golf in 2010 brand new. Never had any issues after 45000 miles. Low cost to maintain the car as well. I will try to keep it as long as i can. If you are looking for a low budget car with no headaches, this is the one!"