2014 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,341 - $18,584.

10/7.4

Based on 89 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Excellent all around

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Value, sporty, good on gas, great warranty"

Cons: "Not very pretty"

"Great motor. Now getting 29-34mpg!! (was a lot worse when newer). Had a bunch of warranty problems (upholstery, keys, electronics), and VW took care of all the items under warranty without batting an eye! AMAZING customer service!. And it is very comfortable: I am 6ft4.5 and I have PLENTY of legroom and headroon: VERY difficulto for me to find a truly comfortable small car."

Excellent car. Fun to drive. Great mileage.

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "High quality build in a fun package."

Cons: "No leather seats."

"I bought 2012 Golf TDI manual. Wanted a spirited fun car that got great mileage and could still carry people and guitars when necessary. This car is it! Plenty of go-power, superb handling, averaging over 40 mpg. Almost a sports car feel. Still fit an entire pa system and guitars. Two six-footers told me the back seat had plenty of room. Cabin is well done. Will need good snow tires next winter. I truly love this car. Plenty of tech, plenty of old fashioned fun. I recommend it if you want a hot hatch with super diesel mileage. Pay a few extra bucks. It's worth it."

German engineering and Driving performance

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"I have had four BMW's and am sold on German engineering and driving performance. My Golf gives me both at an unmatched value-for-the-money price."

good car for the price

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,good gas mileage"

Cons: "ride not as smooth as the mini"

"the gas mileage is good.acceleration is better than what some would expect out of a diesel.the usb cord could be longer,but i do like the fact that your ipod is hidden in the center armrest."

best VW yet - I've owned 5 of them

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "All of the above - comfort, performance and safety"

Cons: "Hatchback rear window is constantly dirty."

"The TDI is an exceptional vehicle from every aspect: performance, fuel economy, passenger comfort and HANDLING. Everything works perfectly - nothing to report at 'courtesy check'. Takes 4 passengers (3 on long road trips) in quiet , jewelry box-like interior. Running 38 mpg is mixed use - now that winter is here, diesel takes a long time (20 mins) to warm so fuel economy is down a bit. In warmer weather it was running in 40mpg range. From canyon carving to interstate cruising, handles like a classic BMW 3 series."

42 mpg hi-way, What else to say

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "quick, great handing, good sound system, 42MPG"

Cons: "Interior is a bit rough"

"Great Milage even with added cost of diesel. Fun to drive, very quick when the turbo spools up. Easy to maneuver in traffic. Sound system is awsome. Interior could be dressed up a bit."

Well built car for the money.

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "It makes me smile to drive it hard. Just a fun car"

Cons: "needs more storage in center console"

"Fantastic seats! Best all around driving car I have ever owned. I was originally looking at the TDI model, but didn't want to pay the extra 6 grand. This car has every safety feature of the most expensive cars on the road at the 17K pricepoint. I tested out just about every car in the 17 to 20K price range, and the VW was a real standout in every way. I'm 6'2 and 225 lbs. The cars in this price range were little with small uncomfortable seats. The Golf has large seats which are not too short to support your thighs. I would buy this car again."

Great handling and gas mileage!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Handling and gas milage"

Cons: "No leather seats"

"Exceptional value, handling, and gas mileage - average 36 mpg in town. Love the turbo!"

I LOVE this car

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "engine is a bit noisy"

"This car is so much fun to drive...lots of power, great handling, very responsive. Plus, it gets amazing gas mileage. Exactly what I wanted!"

These cars are designed for the German Autobahns!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "The TDI offers an excellent package!"

"With that said, I have to admit that my 2011 Golf TDI hangs with the best on the German highways. You may think that the autobahns are flat open roads, but in reality compare them to the interstate system in PA. I can go into a hill (speed between 80-90 mph) loaded with passengers and with the air conditioner on, up the hill, and get to the top of the hill without pulling it out of sixth gear; couldn't say that about my Honda Accord. The 2.0 liter turbo matched with the 6 speed manual gear box is a very powerful and economic vehicle that does very well in all driving conditions and environments. The upgrade from it's gasoline companion is well worth the three thousand dollar differnce, not only in fuel economy, but the overall packet in general. Just to name a few... sport suspension, alloy 17" wheels, premium sound system, multi-function steering wheel, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The car is larger than its visual appearance, but still ideal for small roads and tight parking. Don't let the fact of it being a diesel scare you; it's quiet, vibration-less, and produces ultra-low emmissions. My tailpipe looks as clean as when I first bought the car and the car behind me can tell I have a diesel only by looking at the emblem on the rear hatch. I would recommend opting for xenon headlights if you plan on driving very fast at night."

Love my TDI Golf

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

"I have not had a Volkswagen since I had my 66 VW beetle 15 years ago, and wow was I missing out. I love the design and the styling of the Golf. The interior looks better then many of the other cars I have owned. I wanted a hatchback and was looking at the Mazda 3 and this car. I am glad I choose the Volkswagen except the price, but you get what you pay for. The car just feels like it is built to last, all the way down to the cross stiching in the seats for better wear protection. I love the milage that I get in my TDI about 40 avg.Just wish she was more consistent at acceleration but thats a turbo car. At times it feels like she doesnt want to go but other times she throws my head back(She's a moody girl sometimes). Love everything about the car but how the drivers cockpit is tight around my legs. I feel like I have to lean my foot way to the right to reach the gas pedal. All because the consule is rounded wide down by my calfs. Other than that plenty of room for myself the wife and two girls. Both of my girls are in car seats in the back my 2 yr old can touch the back of my seat with her legs though, but thats because the car seat for her pushes her about a 7 inches forward. I love all the options it comes with, like the two ways to shift the auto trans at the shifter or with the steering wheel paddles. The bluetooth is crystal clear, and the touch screen radio is cool and sounds wonderful. Great great great car."

SO worth it.

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "great handling, safe, great first car"

just after a car wash.

"There's not a single bad word that could be said about this car. Everyone who has driven mine says it's a super fun ride, and it handles extremely well on every type of terrain. When slamming on the brakes, this car does everything in its power to stop as soon as possible. I almost was in an accident but this car swerved like it was a everyday driving maneuver. This is my first car and down the road when I'm in need of a new one, I'll be investing in the GTI version."

just after a car wash.

GOLF TDI is so fun to drive and saves from gas sta

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Worth to me to have a great reliable fun car"

Cons: "Most Volks need better door handles"

"The TDI is much more roomy than one wouyld first think. Same wheel base as Jetta. Park them sifde by side and see for yourself. Do not like small trunk or lack of but you get room for passemngers in comfortable roomy back seat. Face it no need for trunck when just commuting - even trips there was enough space to transport luggage. Fun Fun Fun to drive I can say I have never had so much fun just driving- I like 6 speen manual better than Auto Trans. Cheat with clutch and I bet you can get 60 plus miles to gallon - wouldn't do all time but once just to see. I get almost 50 as most driving I do is Highway. If careful driving you should get 40 anyway. Interior is roomy and well laid out - standard features are extra anywhere else. Wish seats were available in leather but not option. Turning radius is best in any I have ever driven. Quick to start or finish- responsive steering - good use of controls - may be a bit high end price range but value holds and when considering having the car go 3 or 400,000 miles rather than the usual 150,000 (if lucky) of other brands before dieing it's worth the extra. I would highly recommend Volks as I have owned 4 (none with less than 190,000 before new car purchase) had a couple other brands in between - wish I never switched to those other brands at all - wasted my money on them not to mention the langue I had to use discribing the quality of those so called highly recommended cars."

Great car goes bad after recall

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reason: Electrica problems after recall

Pros: "sharp looking, gets lots of compliments"

Cons: "Electrical problems after software recall."

"This is / was a great car until I got a recall notice. The recall was a software correction for the stability control, etc from my recolection. The car was flawless until that recall. I drove it back in the dealership repair. Before I even got off the lot, the Blue Tooth no longer worked, they had to reprogram it. Then, after leaving the lot I had trouble with the windows, sunroof and radio. I was so distraught, I didn't even take it back, I just lost money and traded it off with only 1590 miles on it! I've had problems with other cars (not VW) that took 6 or 7 tries and couldn't get fixed. I saw "my" car, I traded at KIA, a few months later at the VW lot. It only had 5,400 miles and now looking for another owner. I guess the new owner didn't like it either(still under warranty). Now, in all fairness, they car was perfect till then. Have any others had this experience?"

Horrible Maintenance Record

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "It has a lot of power and is fun to drive."

Cons: "Too many maintenance issues. Repairs are expensive"

"I have the VW Golf for less than 2 years and it has had nothing but problems with the brakes. So far I have had the entire braking system replaced at 10,000 miles. Then at 20,000 they had to replace the pads again because the brakes were still seizing up. Now at 40,000 my brakes are worn again and need to be replaced ... but guess what, now it's outside of warranty. I thought I would love this car, but so far it's been the worst decision I've ever made."

BEST NEW VEHICLE AVAILABLE!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE, FUEL MILAGE, PRICE, RELIABILITY!!!"

Cons: "DRIVERS CLOTH SEAT TRY TO UNRAVEL, WARRANY REPAIR"

"I LOVE MY VW TDI 6-SPEED MANUAL I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE. FUEL MILAGE IS UNDERESTIMATED I GET BETWEEN 38-42 NORMAL DRIVING AND 48 HIGHWAY DRIVING. ONLY THING I WOULD CHANGE IS I WOULD HAVE GOT LEATHER SEATS. THE TDI VERSION IS THE BEST VALUE OF ANY NEW CAR AVAILABLE! 600 MILES TO A TANK 50 DOLLARS TO FILL UP AVERAGE. I AM A HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNICHAN AND CAN TELL YOU EVERY SYSTEM ON THIS CAR IS SOLID AND WELL BUILT. EXCELLENT POWER AND HANDLING, SMOOTH SHIFTING, WELL DESIGNED ELECTRONICS SYSTEM, AND ERGONOMICS ARE JUST A FEW OF THE CHARACTERISTICS. 9.8 OUT OF 10!!!"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas, good in the snow, very comfortable"

"This is the 4th volswagon I've owned and I am very happy with my car! Good on gas, very comfortable, great in the snow, extras that came with it, ie heated seats are fabulous! I have always had good performance from my Volkswagons and am just as pleased with the Golf! All pros and no cons in my opinion."

Almost perfect

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Good driving, design and quality"

Cons: "Weak seat fabric, door seals not tight"

"I own 2.5 L two door manual, with winter package. Excellent in almost every way except few not major things: Seat fabric is looking great, but is weak and wears out rapidly at the friction points. The driver’s door seal is not thick enough in the latch area, so I could hear some extra road noise. Great ergonomic design in and out. It is very stable at any speed, quiet while cruising at 80 miles/h. With the stock tires I was getting 36 miles per gallon on the freeway easily. With larger tires it dropped to about 33. It is sensitive to the way you drive though, if you push it hard you will get worse quite a bit. Do not get deceived by the small look, it is comfortable enough for 4 regular size persons. Might not be the quickest on the road, but is peppy. It is a little Audi for the price of cheesy car. Recommend!"

one of the best cars i have ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Great buy for what you get"

"Great on gas millage. This car has sold me on Volkswagen's for the rest of my life"

Awesome car.

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage and handling."

Cons: "Not the sexiest looking car"

"Not the biggest interior, but easily fits my 6'5" frame in the drivers seat with 2 clicks left on the seat! Handles like a slot car. Great getup and go. Averages 38mpg, and I don't drive lightly."

Great car

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Saves a lot on fuel, torquey fun, comfortable!"

"I bought a 4-dr TDI Golf last November after wanting a diesel Golf for quite some time. This is my second VW (I still own a 95 VR6 GTI) and we have 3 others in the family including another 2011 TDI Golf. I average 40-45 MPG on my commute which I would not consider highway miles. I do see 50 MPG on days with less traffic during my commute. I easily save $80 plus a month on fuel due to this car. I drive at least 2 hours a day for work (30 miles) and this car is extremely comfortable. It has made my commute more enjoyable with the touchscreen radio, bluetooth, and comfortable seats. I would definitely recommend getting heated seats if you live anywhere with cold winters because diesels do not heat up as quick as a gasoline car. My heated seats heat up fairly quick. The car is roomy and the hatch area offers a good amount of space as well. I haven't had any reliability issues with my car and every trip to the dealer has been a good one. The only thing I'd change with these cars is more color options. I opted for the Blue Graphite which I absolutely love, but VW used to offer a lot more variety. I hope to keep this car at least 10 years and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable small car with excellent fuel mileage."

FUN TO DRIVE ! I love it.

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun, unique, great gas mileage, peppy engine"

Cons: "Would have liked a few more color options to choose from."

"I bought my Golf in June 2010. I've had it now 16mos and love it. It's reliable, economical, and very fun to drive. Everything has worked, with no mechanical issues or fit"

Love This Car!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive, economical, quick, handles well, attractive..."

Cons: "Haven't found any yet."

"I have owned the car for a month now and I moved over from owning several cars from Honda. I felt at home driving the car in just three days, like I have been driving it my whole life. The quality, comfort, handling and gas mileage of the Golf are remarkable. I am averaging 30c - 40h per gallon. It is comfortable on the long haul and handles incredibly around curves and stops on a dime. The hatchback/back seat space opens up to hold an incredible amount of stuff, including furniture. What a great car!"

TDI - Fun, Fun, Fun

By on Monday, August 01, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, comfortable"

Cons: "No cons to report ( I hope it stays that way)"

"So I am a die-hard VWer thanks to my first car, hand-me-down 1969 beetle. Since my first car I have only had domestic cars and trucks. I traded in my H3 for my Golf TDI because I wanted diesel durability and I paired it with a manual transmission. I expect many miles of drivetrain life. I was pleased to find the interior is very comfortable too. So far 4500 miles and averaging @45 mpg - I travel mainly highway miles and it is relatively flat. Also has tons of cargo space for appearing so small."

TDI = :-)

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"I traded in my beloved 2002 Land Rover Discovery for a 2011 VW Golf TDI. I'm on the road for work all the time and you just can't beat the MPG with the feel of actually driving a car vs a hybrid. Yes, the hybrid will give you better MPG's but the over all longevity of the diesel engine over the batter in the golf kart will last you a lot longer. The styling is still very european and its fun fast and enjoyable to drive."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next