2014 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,390 - $18,643.

10/7.4

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Good Little Car

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "fuel milage, reliable, fun to drive,"

Cons: "parts expense, no bi xenon's missing euro goodies"

"I have no real qualms about my Golf TDi other than the parts can be expensive off warranty, but if you are competent enough to do your own work its not to bad. To be honest for what you pay you get a pretty basic car, which in a way isn't too bad for what you get. In would of love to have seen bi-xenon headlamps standard on this high level of a car, along with real leather, and some other little things like chrome switch accents standard. I have added a bunch of European only options to mine just to make it different, but in all seriousness for what I paid to do it myself VW should of shipped them with these options. Ride is very firm, and at times rough with the tires inflated tonspex or above for max mpgs, wind noise is tolerable, road noise is not, I added about 100 pounds in sound deadener products to aid it and made a huge difference, again why not standard, when you have high end tires on it and cannot hear the radio at a comfortable level at 60-70 mph something's not right in a nearly $30 grand car new. I average 42-44 mpgs overall, even with spirited driving. I hope to have this little car for a long time coming."

Is a fantastic little willing machine.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "refined diesel engine."

Cons: "no rear camera, small roof window."

"I love the TDI engine the technology on this little critter is awesome not to mention the DSG transmission so fast like reading your mind, up shift and down shift electric fast. very nice in the city but is a little beast on country roads it likes to go fast and up hill is like a goat on steroid if that is possible and on freeways you really have to look at your speedometer fun to drive."

Base Golf suited my needs perfectly

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Base model has everything you need"

Cons: "2.5 I5 engine not so frugal with gas"

"I found a dealer demo 2011 Golf with 6k miles on it in the spring of 2012. It was priced about $5,0000 below original sticker price of $21k. The base model lacks interior features like center armrest storage bins and the plastic wheel covers look cheap. It still had bluetooth, heated mirrors and power everything, however. I last owned a VW about 20 years ago and I missed the handling it had. Something about their combination of steering, braking, suspension and acceleration just wasn't there in the Ford, Dodge or Hondas I've owned more recently. This Golf has only left me stranded once. The factory battery died in the oppressive August heat of Texas, but it was 3 years old. Thanks to a short commute, I drive less than 10k miles per year and it is mostly city driving. My combined mileage is usually around 22 MPG which I wish was a higher number. The weird 5 cylinder 2.5 engine is no longer offered on new VW's and I think that is a good thing. If I had a long commute I would probably gotten something like a Honda Fit. The service/oil change intervals are 10k miles and the first three were free. When I hit 40k miles this fall, the dealer says to expect to pay around $500. There is an independent Audi-VW shop near me that charges about $325 for that service. My car is out of warranty (36 month/30k miles) so I may opt to take it there. Overall, I am still happy with the driving experience and the fact that I have paid zero for anything except a battery, a tire damaged by road debris, and new wipers. This car is roomy and practical enough for me and I expect with proper maintenance I could keep driving it without major problems at least until it is a decade old."

Best Car for the Price - Hands down

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "its just a sweet little car - for 20k"

Cons: "wish they did the free oil for more than 30k miles"

"This is the first Brand New care I have had – out of a long line of cars – Acura CL, Honda Civic( I put a Turbo in) Volvo S80, Buick Lasaber, Pontiac Grand AM—ect…. This is by far the best thing I did – have the 2.5 inline 5 (smooth power), with 5 speed, sun roof and cold weather package. It came with the 15 inch steel wheels (I put winter tires on) I got a nice set of 17’s from tire rack and it made a world of difference— almost as Fun as the GTI. It might not be as fast as my Acura 3.0 CL but it can hit a corner at 60 Mph that would barely feel safe at 40 with the Acura. Put the windows down and sunroof open on a nice day and you will forget you’re even headed to work – I look forward to the 60 mile round trip. If you drive like my mom it will get 28 city and 36 hwy – I get about 22 city and 28 Hwy --- I redline almost every red light and go 80+ on hwy… weaving through traffic is a breeze with this little monster… Will look to put a Turbo in it after Warrantee is up !!! "

Great Car!

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Performance, Gas Mileage, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Don't love the electronics (stereo, bluetooth,etc)"

"I have been wanting some form of TDI since 2009 but was always apprehensive to buy a diesel due to the thought process of old school loud, smelly, slow diesel cars of the past. I started doing some research and what convinced me was a couple of road test reviews on Youtube. The build quality of this car is just like a typical German high end product. Solid as a tank. As for the drive this car moves! The torque is amazing I can pass cars with ease even high performance sports cars! Oh and by the way I do this and I still average close to 40 mpg in mixed mostly city driving. Yes diesel gas cost more per gallon than regular gas but think of the extra mpg and fun you get to have with this car! I have owned dozens of cars in my lifetime and this is one of my favorites! I highly recommend any VW/Audi TDI."