2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,177 - $17,082.

10/7.5

9.3

Based on 66 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Great Value

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "German engineered, fun, practical"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"I bought this car new in 11/13 and have 3400 miles. So far the car, despite it's size, has proven to be very capable. We use it as a daily driver, mostly in town (2 mile commute) and it is getting about 23-24 city. We have had the occasion to take a couple of extended trips and can get 30-31 highway with the cruise and "speed limit" (V1 radar detector is always on). Went to Palm Springs loaded with 2 sets of golf clubs w/pull carts intact, luggage, cooler and had plenty of room with the rear seats folded down. The tiptronic transmission is flawless and is actually the mode of choice in our driving patterns. No, the 2.5L isn't the most powerful engine, but has proven itself to be more than adequate. Body integrity, driving comfort, handling, reliability are all consistent with German engineering expectations. There is a reason it's the #1 selling car in Europe. The Golf offers heated seats and a sunroof which were MUST HAVEs for my wife. All in all one of the best cars I have owned."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "small"

"It was my very first car I bought myself and also learned to drive standard. I couldn't ask for a better and more reliable car myself. It is great that the dealership does all maintenance for me and its free!"

This is a Golf I'm proud of!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Torgue, MPG, FUN to drive, Styling."

Cons: "Price, GPS-screen elec NO realtime traffic/Pandora"

"I've had many VW's in my life, including 4 Jetta's, 3 bugs, an old school van and a 4Motion Passat, yet this is my 3rd Golf. I had a 1999 Golf TDI, and a 2005 GTI. Both were fun and nice to drive. Yet the new 2012 style, look, and overall quality is awesome! I'm not so much of fan of the GPS, as it is missing real time traffic and voice commands. To only have Sirius XM radio offered and NO Pandora or other FREE streams is SAD. Overall, this car RULES for MPG, torgue, looks, and styling it's a winner. Pricey overall, yet well worth the investment IF the longevity lasts as most diesels do. I'm shooting for the 1 million mile mark, after all I did get 500,000 miles out of my 1999 Golf diesel before selling it. Just get a Mark 6 instead of a 7 cause they're made in Germany."

best car for the money

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sporty, practical, best MPG"

Cons: "more expensive, warranty could be better"

"While the TDI version of the Golf is more expensive it is SO worth it! I get 39 MPG on average and can reach MPGs of 45-50 on the highway! I can drive a round trip from Seattle to Spokane on one tank of diesel easily. The interior is flawless and beautiful, super well done. I can play my iphone through the bluetooth option, no plug in required, yet still have the option of USB if needed. Touch screen is so fun. The seats are comfortable and sporty. It drives so well, and with a six speed really has some get up and go! My seats fold down for maximum storage and are easy to operate. Safety is in the top of its class with multiple airbags. Having the four door option is great for my passengers and my future children/getting car seats in and out. I just wouldn't choose any other car! I love my Golf! Its practical and hold its value unlike any other hatchback"

best small car!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, reliability"

"Excellent car, sturdy, reliable, love them so much we have two! best value of any small car!"

I have never loved a car like this before;

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "a fun car to drive; still love it with 80,000 mile"

Cons: "DRL can be a problem when asked to turn off"

"Its my everything; very reliable; 43-50 miles to the gallon, Hugs the road; can move; I just love it!!!!"

Great Car!

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Performance, Gas Mileage, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Don't love the electronics (stereo, bluetooth,etc)"

"I have been wanting some form of TDI since 2009 but was always apprehensive to buy a diesel due to the thought process of old school loud, smelly, slow diesel cars of the past. I started doing some research and what convinced me was a couple of road test reviews on Youtube. The build quality of this car is just like a typical German high end product. Solid as a tank. As for the drive this car moves! The torque is amazing I can pass cars with ease even high performance sports cars! Oh and by the way I do this and I still average close to 40 mpg in mixed mostly city driving. Yes diesel gas cost more per gallon than regular gas but think of the extra mpg and fun you get to have with this car! I have owned dozens of cars in my lifetime and this is one of my favorites! I highly recommend any VW/Audi TDI."

Best bang for your buck

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Best German car you can get for ya moneys worth."

Cons: "Air conditioner a bit noisy but overall its great."

"Where else can you buy awesome handling 4 wheel drive vehicle. It can move wide large objects and can handle like a charm in any weather. On top of it all it has the latest technology and does not have that cheap look and feel that the competition offers."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Really handles well"

Cons: "No center armrest or center starage"

"I still look forward to driving it every day after 3 1/2 years!"

great car

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "bluetooth it is horrible sound"

"the only thing I hate in this car is Bluetooth ,it is horrible sound!!!!!"

Alot of fun for the money!

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "power, acceleration, great mpg,"

Cons: "needs all digital gauges, needs standard HIDs"

"I have the 4 door tdi model. It has plenty of power to zoom thru mountain curves and hills. I get around 37 mpg around town with several redlights/stops. This car is economic and will make you feel youthful behind the wheel. Steering is very responsive and acceleration is superb! The interior is quiet and comfy for racing buckets up front. Interior has an upgraded feel compared to a civic or impreza. Does really well ion the hwy for a short wheel base vehicle. Love the car and always makes me smile on a curvy road!"

Expensive to maintain but solid car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"I bought my 2010 VW Golf TDI used with 79K already on it. I put roughly 30K miles a year on my vehicle so I needed something that was reliable and got good gas mileage, which is why I decided to take the diesel plunge. Pros and cons. Pros, with a manual 6spd I get about 45mpg and just over 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank. At 140 hp I get 236 ft. lbs. of torgue...nice! This car is easy to drive, handles well and has all the bells and whistles I need to be comfortable. Also, diesels are notorious for getting very high miles before giving out. I'm hoping for at least 400K but only time will tell. Cons, VW's (especially diesels) are expensive to maintain. Newer VW TDI's require 507 (rated) 5W/30 oil that costs about $9-10 a quart, ouch! Glow plugs are about $90 a piece if you order them on line. Also, these diesels are ULEV so they pass emissions in all 50 states. Only draw back to this is that in order to accomplish this the emissions system is fairly elaborate and has been my biggest maintenance headache so far. So in short, this is a very solid car and I hope to drive it for years to come but be prepared to dole out some $$$ from time to time to keep it in shape. If you get one from a dealer don't be afraid to haggle for an extended warranty even if you have to pay for it. In my opinion VW is not well known for great customer service unless you're already "covered" by warranty."

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Is a fantastic little willing machine.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "refined diesel engine."

Cons: "no rear camera, small roof window."

"I love the TDI engine the technology on this little critter is awesome not to mention the DSG transmission so fast like reading your mind, up shift and down shift electric fast. very nice in the city but is a little beast on country roads it likes to go fast and up hill is like a goat on steroid if that is possible and on freeways you really have to look at your speedometer fun to drive."

Best Car for the Price - Hands down

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "its just a sweet little car - for 20k"

Cons: "wish they did the free oil for more than 30k miles"

"This is the first Brand New care I have had – out of a long line of cars – Acura CL, Honda Civic( I put a Turbo in) Volvo S80, Buick Lasaber, Pontiac Grand AM—ect…. This is by far the best thing I did – have the 2.5 inline 5 (smooth power), with 5 speed, sun roof and cold weather package. It came with the 15 inch steel wheels (I put winter tires on) I got a nice set of 17’s from tire rack and it made a world of difference— almost as Fun as the GTI. It might not be as fast as my Acura 3.0 CL but it can hit a corner at 60 Mph that would barely feel safe at 40 with the Acura. Put the windows down and sunroof open on a nice day and you will forget you’re even headed to work – I look forward to the 60 mile round trip. If you drive like my mom it will get 28 city and 36 hwy – I get about 22 city and 28 Hwy --- I redline almost every red light and go 80+ on hwy… weaving through traffic is a breeze with this little monster… Will look to put a Turbo in it after Warrantee is up !!! "

Ultimate Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, low total cost of ownership"

Cons: "Wish it was AWD :-)"

"Blast to drive, 550 miles per tank, engine will last 200k+. With Dynaudio, sunroof, 4 doors, and an unbelievably smooth DSG transmission..... the car is almost too good to be true. Buy one and be referred to as the wisest car guy in the room."

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

Awesome Car!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

"I am so glad that I took the time to check out the 2012 Golf TDI. It is a fantastic car in so many ways. It is fun to drive, has plenty of power, comfortable (fits like a glove), is easy to maneuver and park, brakes work really well, gets great gas (diesel) mileage, looks great inside and out, more spacious than it looks from the outside, will last a very long time with the diesel engine, and the price is very reasonable for what you get. VW has done a great job on this car and I am thrilled to own it! I can't imagine ever buying an ugly prius when the great looking Golf TDI is available!"

Outstanding buy

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Low cost of ownership, great torque"

Cons: "FWD, speed tease"

"Ton of torque, can burn out or throw you back in your chair if you want it to. Put your foot into the pedal with no worry of fuel consumption. 40 mpg with a lead foot. Very light car yet capable for storage, fold down the rear seats and its like a mini truck. 4 door provides low insurance cost and unbelievably low cost of ownership. Drive 15,000 miles a year for $2,000(gas+insurance). Thats 13 cents per mile of FUN driving!"

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, trunk space, driving/power"

Cons: "Minimalist on interior but what is there well done"

"After relocating from living in a large city on the east coast (without a car) I needed to buy one for my job in California. I knew that I would have a long commute (80 miles roundtrip) and started looking at compact cars within my budget (not more than $19,000). I selected three based on their reviews on this website and others: honda civic, ford focus, and the vw golf. I decided on getting the golf because of the way it handles and drives (due to its engine). It was far superior than the other two vehicles. I appreciate gas economy but driving in LA traffic requires the occasional rapid acceleration/braking and this car delivers. The interior may not be luxurious but it has everything I need and is comfortable on a long drive. The MPG on the car is probably understated and I have found it to be wallet friendly even with the high local gas prices. I have the conv. package because I wanted the bluetooth phone connection. This technology works flawless with my iPhone and automatically connects to the phone anywhere in the car. I have a manual transmission so hands free calling is made easy with the selector button on the window wiper controller with this added feature. VW really thought long and hard on function, style, and comfort when they designed the car. They did not cut any corners and dollar for dollar I am glad I made this purchase and would do so again. The trunk space in the Golf is very large and if the back seat is folded down it has the same capacity as an SUV."

2013 VW Golf-Love <3

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Audio, Comfy interior, nice exterior, fun to drive"

Cons: "No standard USB :("

"I have the 2013 VW Golf in the blue metallic. I LOVE THIS CAR. I had a 2011 Honda Fit that I traded in for it, I loved that car too....until I drove this one. Bought this car got rid of the Honda and I have never looked back. They have practically thought of everything from the little LED lights that shine down on the shifter to the heated side view mirrors, to the climate controlled and lockable glovebox to the comfy seats with lumbar support. The media interface for the stereo is attractive and the speakers and audio sound are top notch. The AC and heat are awesome. The tiptronic transmission is awesome and this car is FUN to drive. I can almost keep up with my boyfriend who owns a GTI. Almost. I highly recommend this car! :)"

My seveth front wheel drive VW and by far the best

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Performance, comfort, economy, handling"

Cons: "few available options"

"The Golf sets the standard for compact cars. The 5 cylinder with six speed automatic is smooth, quiet and strong and for six thousand miles I have averaged 30.2 mpg. With little effort it will exceed the EPA estimates for combined mpg. The Golf's styling inside and out may be understated but quality and small thoughtful touches abound throughout the car. A temperature controlled and lockable glove compartment,full size 195/15 spare tire, additional under floor storage in luggage compartment, soft touch dash and door sills, lined storage compartments, etc. The traditional VW handling, steering and braking with superb highway ride and comfort. This is a car that grows on you and is a keeper."

Fun to drive with plenty of power, no regrets

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "sun roof, blue tooth, horse power, sound sys. ipod"

Cons: "small trunk, every else makes up for it."

"I was looking to replace my wifes work car 2011 nissan Versa, it was a base model cause we thought of cutting costs. No electronic windows or keyless entry.I would get so frustrated when i would open the door for her because i needed to open the drivers side first and then open hers from the inside. Also no electric windows felt like driving in the 1960s. When I looked at the 2011 Golf it was an excellent choice. All 4 automatic windows where standard and remote entry was a must. 17ys of marriage and love to open the door for my Baby. Makes it easier with the remote. The horse power does not compare against the Versa. The ride feels tight and solid, you can hardly feel the road in comparison with the versa you felt every bump on the road."

AWSOME CAR

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, awsome fuel mileage!"

Cons: "wish i had got the sunroof!"

"I purchased this car mostly for fuel mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work daily. I average about 45 MPG. On road trips i have noticed 51 MPG routinely. This is with the cruise control set at 70. The car is quite roomy, I have had 4 adults in the car and no complaints. I have loaded up the car for a weekend trip and had plenty of room. The car handles quite sporty, better then I had anticipated. This is a great car overall Why waste your extra money on a hybrid when Diesel is just as clean and you dont have batteries to dispose of? GREAT CAR!!"

I love this car!

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Great Quality. Fit and finish is excellent"

Cons: "No armrest on the Base Model."

"I have had mostly domestic cars for the past 20 years but this year I decided on the Golf. I loved the fit and finish of the car. It was so much better than the other cars I have owned. I have the base model and I get around 40mg on a trip, but not as well if I put my foot into it. I love the sound of the 2.5L 5 cyl. It reminds me of the Audi my parents owned and that I learned to drive on. The Audi was a great 5cyl engine too. With getting close to 40mg on trips, I don't see the need for the TDI which was much more expensive. The only thing I don't like is that I think the base model should come with an armrest. I am currently looking to buy one and install it. This car was a bit pricier than others I looked at but the quality and driving experience was well worth the money."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25