2011 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 101 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Love This Car!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive, economical, quick, handles well, attractive..."

Cons: "Haven't found any yet."

"I have owned the car for a month now and I moved over from owning several cars from Honda. I felt at home driving the car in just three days, like I have been driving it my whole life. The quality, comfort, handling and gas mileage of the Golf are remarkable. I am averaging 30c - 40h per gallon. It is comfortable on the long haul and handles incredibly around curves and stops on a dime. The hatchback/back seat space opens up to hold an incredible amount of stuff, including furniture. What a great car!"

2013 VW Golf-Love <3

By on Monday, October 1, 2012

Pros: "Audio, Comfy interior, nice exterior, fun to drive"

Cons: "No standard USB :("

"I have the 2013 VW Golf in the blue metallic. I LOVE THIS CAR. I had a 2011 Honda Fit that I traded in for it, I loved that car too....until I drove this one. Bought this car got rid of the Honda and I have never looked back. They have practically thought of everything from the little LED lights that shine down on the shifter to the heated side view mirrors, to the climate controlled and lockable glovebox to the comfy seats with lumbar support. The media interface for the stereo is attractive and the speakers and audio sound are top notch. The AC and heat are awesome. The tiptronic transmission is awesome and this car is FUN to drive. I can almost keep up with my boyfriend who owns a GTI. Almost. I highly recommend this car! :)"

Excellent all around

By on Monday, June 4, 2012

Pros: "Value, sporty, good on gas, great warranty"

Cons: "Not very pretty"

"Great motor. Now getting 29-34mpg!! (was a lot worse when newer). Had a bunch of warranty problems (upholstery, keys, electronics), and VW took care of all the items under warranty without batting an eye! AMAZING customer service!. And it is very comfortable: I am 6ft4.5 and I have PLENTY of legroom and headroon: VERY difficulto for me to find a truly comfortable small car."

These cars are designed for the German Autobahns!

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pros: "The TDI offers an excellent package!"

"With that said, I have to admit that my 2011 Golf TDI hangs with the best on the German highways. You may think that the autobahns are flat open roads, but in reality compare them to the interstate system in PA. I can go into a hill (speed between 80-90 mph) loaded with passengers and with the air conditioner on, up the hill, and get to the top of the hill without pulling it out of sixth gear; couldn't say that about my Honda Accord. The 2.0 liter turbo matched with the 6 speed manual gear box is a very powerful and economic vehicle that does very well in all driving conditions and environments. The upgrade from it's gasoline companion is well worth the three thousand dollar differnce, not only in fuel economy, but the overall packet in general. Just to name a few... sport suspension, alloy 17" wheels, premium sound system, multi-function steering wheel, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The car is larger than its visual appearance, but still ideal for small roads and tight parking. Don't let the fact of it being a diesel scare you; it's quiet, vibration-less, and produces ultra-low emmissions. My tailpipe looks as clean as when I first bought the car and the car behind me can tell I have a diesel only by looking at the emblem on the rear hatch. I would recommend opting for xenon headlights if you plan on driving very fast at night."

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."