2011 Volkswagen Golf

9.3

Based on 66 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Alot of fun for the money!

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "power, acceleration, great mpg,"

Cons: "needs all digital gauges, needs standard HIDs"

"I have the 4 door tdi model. It has plenty of power to zoom thru mountain curves and hills. I get around 37 mpg around town with several redlights/stops. This car is economic and will make you feel youthful behind the wheel. Steering is very responsive and acceleration is superb! The interior is quiet and comfy for racing buckets up front. Interior has an upgraded feel compared to a civic or impreza. Does really well ion the hwy for a short wheel base vehicle. Love the car and always makes me smile on a curvy road!"

Expensive to maintain but solid car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"I bought my 2010 VW Golf TDI used with 79K already on it. I put roughly 30K miles a year on my vehicle so I needed something that was reliable and got good gas mileage, which is why I decided to take the diesel plunge. Pros and cons. Pros, with a manual 6spd I get about 45mpg and just over 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank. At 140 hp I get 236 ft. lbs. of torgue...nice! This car is easy to drive, handles well and has all the bells and whistles I need to be comfortable. Also, diesels are notorious for getting very high miles before giving out. I'm hoping for at least 400K but only time will tell. Cons, VW's (especially diesels) are expensive to maintain. Newer VW TDI's require 507 (rated) 5W/30 oil that costs about $9-10 a quart, ouch! Glow plugs are about $90 a piece if you order them on line. Also, these diesels are ULEV so they pass emissions in all 50 states. Only draw back to this is that in order to accomplish this the emissions system is fairly elaborate and has been my biggest maintenance headache so far. So in short, this is a very solid car and I hope to drive it for years to come but be prepared to dole out some $$$ from time to time to keep it in shape. If you get one from a dealer don't be afraid to haggle for an extended warranty even if you have to pay for it. In my opinion VW is not well known for great customer service unless you're already "covered" by warranty."

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Is a fantastic little willing machine.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "refined diesel engine."

Cons: "no rear camera, small roof window."

"I love the TDI engine the technology on this little critter is awesome not to mention the DSG transmission so fast like reading your mind, up shift and down shift electric fast. very nice in the city but is a little beast on country roads it likes to go fast and up hill is like a goat on steroid if that is possible and on freeways you really have to look at your speedometer fun to drive."

Best Car for the Price - Hands down

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "its just a sweet little car - for 20k"

Cons: "wish they did the free oil for more than 30k miles"

"This is the first Brand New care I have had – out of a long line of cars – Acura CL, Honda Civic( I put a Turbo in) Volvo S80, Buick Lasaber, Pontiac Grand AM—ect…. This is by far the best thing I did – have the 2.5 inline 5 (smooth power), with 5 speed, sun roof and cold weather package. It came with the 15 inch steel wheels (I put winter tires on) I got a nice set of 17’s from tire rack and it made a world of difference— almost as Fun as the GTI. It might not be as fast as my Acura 3.0 CL but it can hit a corner at 60 Mph that would barely feel safe at 40 with the Acura. Put the windows down and sunroof open on a nice day and you will forget you’re even headed to work – I look forward to the 60 mile round trip. If you drive like my mom it will get 28 city and 36 hwy – I get about 22 city and 28 Hwy --- I redline almost every red light and go 80+ on hwy… weaving through traffic is a breeze with this little monster… Will look to put a Turbo in it after Warrantee is up !!! "

Ultimate Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, low total cost of ownership"

Cons: "Wish it was AWD :-)"

"Blast to drive, 550 miles per tank, engine will last 200k+. With Dynaudio, sunroof, 4 doors, and an unbelievably smooth DSG transmission..... the car is almost too good to be true. Buy one and be referred to as the wisest car guy in the room."

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

Awesome Car!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

"I am so glad that I took the time to check out the 2012 Golf TDI. It is a fantastic car in so many ways. It is fun to drive, has plenty of power, comfortable (fits like a glove), is easy to maneuver and park, brakes work really well, gets great gas (diesel) mileage, looks great inside and out, more spacious than it looks from the outside, will last a very long time with the diesel engine, and the price is very reasonable for what you get. VW has done a great job on this car and I am thrilled to own it! I can't imagine ever buying an ugly prius when the great looking Golf TDI is available!"

Outstanding buy

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Low cost of ownership, great torque"

Cons: "FWD, speed tease"

"Ton of torque, can burn out or throw you back in your chair if you want it to. Put your foot into the pedal with no worry of fuel consumption. 40 mpg with a lead foot. Very light car yet capable for storage, fold down the rear seats and its like a mini truck. 4 door provides low insurance cost and unbelievably low cost of ownership. Drive 15,000 miles a year for $2,000(gas+insurance). Thats 13 cents per mile of FUN driving!"

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, trunk space, driving/power"

Cons: "Minimalist on interior but what is there well done"

"After relocating from living in a large city on the east coast (without a car) I needed to buy one for my job in California. I knew that I would have a long commute (80 miles roundtrip) and started looking at compact cars within my budget (not more than $19,000). I selected three based on their reviews on this website and others: honda civic, ford focus, and the vw golf. I decided on getting the golf because of the way it handles and drives (due to its engine). It was far superior than the other two vehicles. I appreciate gas economy but driving in LA traffic requires the occasional rapid acceleration/braking and this car delivers. The interior may not be luxurious but it has everything I need and is comfortable on a long drive. The MPG on the car is probably understated and I have found it to be wallet friendly even with the high local gas prices. I have the conv. package because I wanted the bluetooth phone connection. This technology works flawless with my iPhone and automatically connects to the phone anywhere in the car. I have a manual transmission so hands free calling is made easy with the selector button on the window wiper controller with this added feature. VW really thought long and hard on function, style, and comfort when they designed the car. They did not cut any corners and dollar for dollar I am glad I made this purchase and would do so again. The trunk space in the Golf is very large and if the back seat is folded down it has the same capacity as an SUV."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25