2011 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 88 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Car is much better than I expected from a VW Golf.

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pros: "Fuel efficient, sporty suspension, a lot of torque"

Cons: "Road noise, expensive"

Trip to the White Sands NM

"The car has been great since I got it new in October 2011 (2012 model) EGR valve went bad during the waranty period but no onther malfunction since then. I have got from 68 MPGs downhill (Ruidoso to Roswell NM) and 58 MPGs at constant 65 mph (Austin to Dallas TX) all the way down to 26 MPGs during an enthusiasts run (we were constantly going over 100 MPH and then back down to speed limits) The nav system had a feature of a stopover destination before your final destination but I used it once and when I turned the car back on the NAV didnt work properly. It insisted that I never reached the stopover destination, so it didnt want to tell me how to get to my final destination. I never used that feature again and I never had another problem with the nav. Other than that the nav was very good, and fast. I liked the speed limit information. While the car is moving, the nav has a very anoying warning saying that you should not operate the keyboard while in motion. You can just OK that and continue. The materials inside feel upscale. Buttons feel properly put toguether. I really like the cabin. This car feels well planted to the ground and speed becomes decieving. It is very stable at high speeds and confortable at low speeds. Well balanced stock suspension. Even by closing the door you can immediately tell how well built this car is. I love cars and I really wish I could afford to keep this car while buying something else at the same time. Almost forgot, road noise is so bad on some roads that you cant use the bluetooth for calls. That is my major complain with the car."

Trip to the White Sands NM

A fine, snug little car.

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "engineering, build, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "slow derfroster, heater controls"

"Reliable, fun to drive, excellent fit and finish. A bit tight inside, especially in winter attire. Radio and CD have fine sound. Good snow handling with winter tires. Downside: Diesel takes 10 minutes to warm up in winter, so slow defroster. Heat controls are tiny, hard to read and not intuitive. Diesel fuel costs can cancel out higher mileage ratings."

fun to drive!

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "awesome mileage"

Cons: "only black as an interior option"

"great on road trips and popping around the city"

Base Golf suited my needs perfectly

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Base model has everything you need"

Cons: "2.5 I5 engine not so frugal with gas"

"I found a dealer demo 2011 Golf with 6k miles on it in the spring of 2012. It was priced about $5,0000 below original sticker price of $21k. The base model lacks interior features like center armrest storage bins and the plastic wheel covers look cheap. It still had bluetooth, heated mirrors and power everything, however. I last owned a VW about 20 years ago and I missed the handling it had. Something about their combination of steering, braking, suspension and acceleration just wasn't there in the Ford, Dodge or Hondas I've owned more recently. This Golf has only left me stranded once. The factory battery died in the oppressive August heat of Texas, but it was 3 years old. Thanks to a short commute, I drive less than 10k miles per year and it is mostly city driving. My combined mileage is usually around 22 MPG which I wish was a higher number. The weird 5 cylinder 2.5 engine is no longer offered on new VW's and I think that is a good thing. If I had a long commute I would probably gotten something like a Honda Fit. The service/oil change intervals are 10k miles and the first three were free. When I hit 40k miles this fall, the dealer says to expect to pay around $500. There is an independent Audi-VW shop near me that charges about $325 for that service. My car is out of warranty (36 month/30k miles) so I may opt to take it there. Overall, I am still happy with the driving experience and the fact that I have paid zero for anything except a battery, a tire damaged by road debris, and new wipers. This car is roomy and practical enough for me and I expect with proper maintenance I could keep driving it without major problems at least until it is a decade old."

bang for your buck!

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"I bought my golf in 2010 brand new. Never had any issues after 45000 miles. Low cost to maintain the car as well. I will try to keep it as long as i can. If you are looking for a low budget car with no headaches, this is the one!"

Best car ever?

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "Driving the Golf TDI is so much fun"

Cons: "Navigation data requires $99 update every 2 years."

"Fun to drive. Plenty of power. Solid feel grips twisty mountain roads in worst weather conditions. Love the touchscreen and hands off bluetooth. Plays well with iPhone. Exudes high quality and feel of much higher priced German road cars. Outstanding cabin materials and construction; fuel-efficient diesel engine; spacious hatchback body style; refined driving dynamics."

Super fun to drive - great value for money

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "Should buy arm rest"

"The driving experience is a lot of fun. While it feels secure, you do get the dynamic of a small fast car. Great MPG too. I use the VW Golf as a daily commuter to work, and I haven't had any problems with it ever."

Great value, well built

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Reason: wanted a new car

Pros: "quality, great customer care, very well built"

Cons: "Plethora of small things went wrong under warranty"

"Fun to drive with a truly well built interior. I had a lot of warranty items needing attention, so it was inconvenient. The car is truly comfortable. Gas mileage was consistently 30mpg which for the 2.5L 5 cylinder was really good, and with the 5 speed manual. I really recommend the golf as a superiorly well conceived and designed car, top of its class NO DOUBT"

Great, reliable and made for drivers

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Great Gas Mileage, Brilliant Handling"

"This is my second Golf. My first was a 1996 CL, gas model. This is my first diesel powered car. I have been quite impressed with how well this car handles and corners, it's extremely tight and responsive. I also love the turbo engine, it really kicks in and the power is great. The tech package makes it really comfortable, navigation, sunroof, bluetooth, iphone charger, heated seats....really comfortable. I also noticed how quiet the interior cabin is as well. Any of my friends or family that drive this car tell me how much the love it. I love this car too and never want to sell it!"

Good Little Car

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "fuel milage, reliable, fun to drive,"

Cons: "parts expense, no bi xenon's missing euro goodies"

"I have no real qualms about my Golf TDi other than the parts can be expensive off warranty, but if you are competent enough to do your own work its not to bad. To be honest for what you pay you get a pretty basic car, which in a way isn't too bad for what you get. In would of love to have seen bi-xenon headlamps standard on this high level of a car, along with real leather, and some other little things like chrome switch accents standard. I have added a bunch of European only options to mine just to make it different, but in all seriousness for what I paid to do it myself VW should of shipped them with these options. Ride is very firm, and at times rough with the tires inflated tonspex or above for max mpgs, wind noise is tolerable, road noise is not, I added about 100 pounds in sound deadener products to aid it and made a huge difference, again why not standard, when you have high end tires on it and cannot hear the radio at a comfortable level at 60-70 mph something's not right in a nearly $30 grand car new. I average 42-44 mpgs overall, even with spirited driving. I hope to have this little car for a long time coming."

good size, great milage drives like sports car

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "gas miliage is great, is fast and looks sharp"

"Great value"

It started out perfect...

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

Pros: "Not too expensive, fun to drive"

Cons: "Difficult to get in back seats"

"I'm a high school student and my parents bought this car for me used to share with my brother and two other younger siblings (once they get their licenses). It terms of value and quality, the car seems top notch. The reliability is usually pretty good, but when it's raining it is difficult to accelerate through turns, which is partially the tires fault but it still is kind of frustrating. It is a super fun car to drive and the speakers are nice for long rides. In regards to the design: I'm not a huge fan. It's really cute from the outside, but the inside just does not work as well for me. Specifically, the touchscreen for the radio is dangerous to work while driving because you actually have to read it. THIS CAR DOES NOT HAVE AUTOMATIC LIGHTS. This seems like something that would be intuitive in a 2012 vehicle. Also, I got the car in the winter and every time I would drive it a random ding noise would go off and I was worried something was wrong with the car. After about a month, I realized that every time that it goes below 40 degrees outside (which is pretty much every day from November to march) the car makes this noise. My least favorite part about the car is the comfort and convenience. Being extremely short, the small height of the car is not that big of a deal. But my brother and dad are constantly complaining about how there is not enough room, especially if either has the misfortune to sit in the backseat. Although the car is able to fold the seats down for extra space, I have to leave them up and I am left with a too small trunk that, ironically, can only barely fit my golf clubs and pull cart without obstructing my rear window. Overall, if you have any tall family members or need more space go for the 4 door instead of the 2 door, you will thank yourself in time."

2015 VW Golf TSI SE- Best in class!

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Economical, powerful, fun to drive"

Cons: "none so far"

"I was looking for an economy hatch (around $25K) that was extremely comfortable for long trips, quiet at hwy speeds, gave great hwy mpgs and had decent tech. The choice came down to 3 cars- Mazda3 2.5GT, Kia Forte5 and the 2015 Golf TSI SE. The Kia has the best technology and creature comforts including heated and cooled driver seat, heated steering wheel etc... But I did not enjoy how it drove and the interior felt sort of lower tier. The Mazda3 was extremely impressive in just about every area but a lack of storage around the driver and no option for a lighter blue had me look toward the Golf. When I finally test drove it I felt like I was home. Just perfect in every area. Quieter and more comfortable than the other cars on the road, great storage everywhere including a large door pocket, storage under the seat and on the left of the steering wheel in addition to the center console and center stack. The infotainment system sounds incredible (since it's made by Fender- 400W sub woofer located inside the spare tire) and has a nice 5.8 inch color touch screen that works like a smart phone screen with swipes and pinches. Plus the Blue Silk Metallic is a beautiful blue. I bought the SE model with the lighting package which includes bi-Xenon lights with Adaptive front lighting and LED DRls (Adds $995). Including Chrome exhaust tips, mud flaps and monster mats I paid $26K including destination. I have only driven it around 700 miles so far but it's a dream. I am averaging around 30mpg but that's 90% city. I've seen MFD show between 38 and 40 mpg during the brief hwy driving at around 70mph. I expect it should easily get 40mpg on long trips. The 1.8T is a really powerful engine for this class and pulls the car extremely well - 0-60 in about 7.5 sec with the automatic. The low end torque 200 lbs/ft starts around 1500 rpm so the car shoots out of a stop light with amazing quickness. Hwy passing is cinch. It doesn't feel like it's laboring at all and there is almost no turbo lag. I think this is the best car I could have bought that fit my specifications and plus the German dynamics is just an added bonus."

best car ever

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "all good"

Cons: "maintenance is costly"

"An excellent car. Besides the miles per gallon. Handles so well, like a really expensive german car. Top notch quality inside, seat material a little on the economical side. Also somethings over engineered but for me that's great. Have put almost 50,000 miles on the car and it sti;; drives like a 50,000 car. All i do is the maintenance which is expensive at VW. LOve the car!"

The Golf TDi is a fantastic car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great Highway MPG, torque, fun!"

Cons: "Not for Toyota Camry drivers"

"I have loved VW Golfs for quite a while now and I have had the privilege to own two of them, a MkIV (2002 gas) and my current MkVI (2011 TDi). The MkVI is a very comfortable and agile car that makes driving fun while sipping diesel. This car excels on the highway, returning 44-45 MPG on long trips. Tons of torque is available at low RPMs, so if you encounter a steep hill, just drop it into 3rd or 4th and it powers up the incline like it's not even there. If you are a city driver, this might not be the car for you if you're mainly looking for high MPGs. It's probably better to go with a Prius or other hybrid or even an electric Leaf since those cars excel in town, but you will have more fun with the Golf. The Golf is also one of the best looking cars on the road under $30k, classic with well defined lines and curves. No crazy bubbles, swoopes or oversized grilles. Plus, at 31k miles, I have had zero problems with this vehicle, which is to be expected. Ultimately, the Golf is a drivers car; so if you enjoy driving and think of it as more than just getting from point A to point B, you will really appreciate this car."

I loved this car!!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great value, super fun to drive"

Cons: "Would have preferred 8 way adjustable seat."

"Great car. Never once stuck in the worst winter of my life even when 4WD cars couldnt make it up the hilly roads. Super comfortable and totally 100% reliable all of the time."

Dull, dull and brilliantly dull

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Dull, but brilliantly so"

Cons: "Dull, but that's the biggest con I can think of."

"The Golf 2.5 Base is my wife's car. It replaced her 12 year old Miata. Everything about this car is sensible or reasonable or both. Dependable, predictable, solid, reasonably economical, sensible price, sensible size, reasonably comfortable, reasonable stereo, reasonable servicing costs, reasonable looks, better than reasonable built quality. Reasonable performance if you can be bothered to go and find it. Just does everything it says in the brochure without any fuss or excitement. She hates buttons and it has the minimum. For example, Lights: on or off. That's it, 2 positions. She hates complexity, and there isn't any. Absolute wysiwyg,(the car and her) and she loves it. Dull but brilliantly so (only the car this time - not her). Probably everything she looked for in her spouse, and at least the car came through."

I love driving this car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Torque! MPG! Handling!"

Cons: "Cup holders suck."

"Kickass torque! Terrific mileage: average 40 mpg doing 70-75 on highways and often pushing it in town. Handling is fantastic: takes curves on the Taconic like a champ. Only quibble: mechanics. Several early problems, including a cylinder issue were covered by VW even well after warrantee expired. But no issues for over a year now.... In sum: I put on a lot of miles and I love that diesel!"

Great Diesel Sipper

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Fuel up less often, lots of power."

Cons: "Price too high, Blue motion not available in USA"

"Compared to other cars I have driven among a fleet of cars, the handling of the 2011 VW Golf TDi is sporty and loads of fun to drive. As a daily driver in-town the MPG is not as high as hybrid but you will be passing those hybrids on the road. Out on the highway is where the fuel economy kicks in. It lost only one point for reliability because it required road-side assistance to jump the car 3 times, which was covered under warranty for the first 3yrs/36K miles which was all due to a faulty battery. Related to quality after service was conducted to replace a faulty cruise control switch the horn was put back in improperly. It is really embarrassing having your car involuntarily honk. The dealer rapidly repaired the issue and provided a loaner during the process. The interior surfaces are firm but the seats are a bit rough to the touch and could be softened up a bit. The road noise was a bit more than I'd like for a VW. Only thing related to convenience is the service location is rather far away and requires taking off during the work week for anything more than an oil change. More dealerships would be nice. The interior finishes are great but the seats are rough to the touch. I would have rather had leatherette as an option in this car. I do love this car!"

Great commuter and highway cruiser

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, great on local 2-lane roads"

Cons: "Nearest dealer 50 miles away"

"Really a great little car. I've put 70,000 miles on mine and only had a check engine light come on once for a faulty oxygen sensor. Can consistently returns 35+mpg in town and 40-45 on the highway depending on how heavy your right foot is. Comfortable, quiet, and pretty good room all things considered."

Expensive car to own long term.

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Solid body, great handling, loads of torque."

Cons: "Engine explodes"

"97,000 meticulously maintained miles. Turbo failed pumping engine oil into intake and exhaust systems. $4000.00 and counting. Wheel bearing failed at 80,000. The repair costs are 50% of what the car is currently worth. I have a timing belt due for replacement-$1000.00 dealer cost. Three of my co workers drive VW Diesels. All have had a catastrophic engine event. My first and last VW."

Rented one and fell in love

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Great economy and fun to drive"

Cons: "I need to lose 20 lbs to be really comfortable"

"I rented a 2012 Golf TDI in Europe and fell in love with it. When I returned to the US, I bought one six months later, same car, same color, same six speed. I've had it for two years and still love it!"

Great Value

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "German engineered, fun, practical"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"I bought this car new in 11/13 and have 3400 miles. So far the car, despite it's size, has proven to be very capable. We use it as a daily driver, mostly in town (2 mile commute) and it is getting about 23-24 city. We have had the occasion to take a couple of extended trips and can get 30-31 highway with the cruise and "speed limit" (V1 radar detector is always on). Went to Palm Springs loaded with 2 sets of golf clubs w/pull carts intact, luggage, cooler and had plenty of room with the rear seats folded down. The tiptronic transmission is flawless and is actually the mode of choice in our driving patterns. No, the 2.5L isn't the most powerful engine, but has proven itself to be more than adequate. Body integrity, driving comfort, handling, reliability are all consistent with German engineering expectations. There is a reason it's the #1 selling car in Europe. The Golf offers heated seats and a sunroof which were MUST HAVEs for my wife. All in all one of the best cars I have owned."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "small"

"It was my very first car I bought myself and also learned to drive standard. I couldn't ask for a better and more reliable car myself. It is great that the dealership does all maintenance for me and its free!"

This is a Golf I'm proud of!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Torgue, MPG, FUN to drive, Styling."

Cons: "Price, GPS-screen elec NO realtime traffic/Pandora"

"I've had many VW's in my life, including 4 Jetta's, 3 bugs, an old school van and a 4Motion Passat, yet this is my 3rd Golf. I had a 1999 Golf TDI, and a 2005 GTI. Both were fun and nice to drive. Yet the new 2012 style, look, and overall quality is awesome! I'm not so much of fan of the GPS, as it is missing real time traffic and voice commands. To only have Sirius XM radio offered and NO Pandora or other FREE streams is SAD. Overall, this car RULES for MPG, torgue, looks, and styling it's a winner. Pricey overall, yet well worth the investment IF the longevity lasts as most diesels do. I'm shooting for the 1 million mile mark, after all I did get 500,000 miles out of my 1999 Golf diesel before selling it. Just get a Mark 6 instead of a 7 cause they're made in Germany."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next