2011 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 86 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

fun to drive!

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "awesome mileage"

Cons: "only black as an interior option"

"great on road trips and popping around the city"

Base Golf suited my needs perfectly

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Base model has everything you need"

Cons: "2.5 I5 engine not so frugal with gas"

"I found a dealer demo 2011 Golf with 6k miles on it in the spring of 2012. It was priced about $5,0000 below original sticker price of $21k. The base model lacks interior features like center armrest storage bins and the plastic wheel covers look cheap. It still had bluetooth, heated mirrors and power everything, however. I last owned a VW about 20 years ago and I missed the handling it had. Something about their combination of steering, braking, suspension and acceleration just wasn't there in the Ford, Dodge or Hondas I've owned more recently. This Golf has only left me stranded once. The factory battery died in the oppressive August heat of Texas, but it was 3 years old. Thanks to a short commute, I drive less than 10k miles per year and it is mostly city driving. My combined mileage is usually around 22 MPG which I wish was a higher number. The weird 5 cylinder 2.5 engine is no longer offered on new VW's and I think that is a good thing. If I had a long commute I would probably gotten something like a Honda Fit. The service/oil change intervals are 10k miles and the first three were free. When I hit 40k miles this fall, the dealer says to expect to pay around $500. There is an independent Audi-VW shop near me that charges about $325 for that service. My car is out of warranty (36 month/30k miles) so I may opt to take it there. Overall, I am still happy with the driving experience and the fact that I have paid zero for anything except a battery, a tire damaged by road debris, and new wipers. This car is roomy and practical enough for me and I expect with proper maintenance I could keep driving it without major problems at least until it is a decade old."

bang for your buck!

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"I bought my golf in 2010 brand new. Never had any issues after 45000 miles. Low cost to maintain the car as well. I will try to keep it as long as i can. If you are looking for a low budget car with no headaches, this is the one!"

Best car ever?

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "Driving the Golf TDI is so much fun"

Cons: "Navigation data requires $99 update every 2 years."

"Fun to drive. Plenty of power. Solid feel grips twisty mountain roads in worst weather conditions. Love the touchscreen and hands off bluetooth. Plays well with iPhone. Exudes high quality and feel of much higher priced German road cars. Outstanding cabin materials and construction; fuel-efficient diesel engine; spacious hatchback body style; refined driving dynamics."

Super fun to drive - great value for money

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "Should buy arm rest"

"The driving experience is a lot of fun. While it feels secure, you do get the dynamic of a small fast car. Great MPG too. I use the VW Golf as a daily commuter to work, and I haven't had any problems with it ever."

Great value, well built

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Reason: wanted a new car

Pros: "quality, great customer care, very well built"

Cons: "Plethora of small things went wrong under warranty"

"Fun to drive with a truly well built interior. I had a lot of warranty items needing attention, so it was inconvenient. The car is truly comfortable. Gas mileage was consistently 30mpg which for the 2.5L 5 cylinder was really good, and with the 5 speed manual. I really recommend the golf as a superiorly well conceived and designed car, top of its class NO DOUBT"

Great, reliable and made for drivers

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Great Gas Mileage, Brilliant Handling"

"This is my second Golf. My first was a 1996 CL, gas model. This is my first diesel powered car. I have been quite impressed with how well this car handles and corners, it's extremely tight and responsive. I also love the turbo engine, it really kicks in and the power is great. The tech package makes it really comfortable, navigation, sunroof, bluetooth, iphone charger, heated seats....really comfortable. I also noticed how quiet the interior cabin is as well. Any of my friends or family that drive this car tell me how much the love it. I love this car too and never want to sell it!"

Good Little Car

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "fuel milage, reliable, fun to drive,"

Cons: "parts expense, no bi xenon's missing euro goodies"

"I have no real qualms about my Golf TDi other than the parts can be expensive off warranty, but if you are competent enough to do your own work its not to bad. To be honest for what you pay you get a pretty basic car, which in a way isn't too bad for what you get. In would of love to have seen bi-xenon headlamps standard on this high level of a car, along with real leather, and some other little things like chrome switch accents standard. I have added a bunch of European only options to mine just to make it different, but in all seriousness for what I paid to do it myself VW should of shipped them with these options. Ride is very firm, and at times rough with the tires inflated tonspex or above for max mpgs, wind noise is tolerable, road noise is not, I added about 100 pounds in sound deadener products to aid it and made a huge difference, again why not standard, when you have high end tires on it and cannot hear the radio at a comfortable level at 60-70 mph something's not right in a nearly $30 grand car new. I average 42-44 mpgs overall, even with spirited driving. I hope to have this little car for a long time coming."

good size, great milage drives like sports car

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "gas miliage is great, is fast and looks sharp"

"Great value"

It started out perfect...

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

Pros: "Not too expensive, fun to drive"

Cons: "Difficult to get in back seats"

"I'm a high school student and my parents bought this car for me used to share with my brother and two other younger siblings (once they get their licenses). It terms of value and quality, the car seems top notch. The reliability is usually pretty good, but when it's raining it is difficult to accelerate through turns, which is partially the tires fault but it still is kind of frustrating. It is a super fun car to drive and the speakers are nice for long rides. In regards to the design: I'm not a huge fan. It's really cute from the outside, but the inside just does not work as well for me. Specifically, the touchscreen for the radio is dangerous to work while driving because you actually have to read it. THIS CAR DOES NOT HAVE AUTOMATIC LIGHTS. This seems like something that would be intuitive in a 2012 vehicle. Also, I got the car in the winter and every time I would drive it a random ding noise would go off and I was worried something was wrong with the car. After about a month, I realized that every time that it goes below 40 degrees outside (which is pretty much every day from November to march) the car makes this noise. My least favorite part about the car is the comfort and convenience. Being extremely short, the small height of the car is not that big of a deal. But my brother and dad are constantly complaining about how there is not enough room, especially if either has the misfortune to sit in the backseat. Although the car is able to fold the seats down for extra space, I have to leave them up and I am left with a too small trunk that, ironically, can only barely fit my golf clubs and pull cart without obstructing my rear window. Overall, if you have any tall family members or need more space go for the 4 door instead of the 2 door, you will thank yourself in time."