2011 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

I LOVE this car

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "engine is a bit noisy"

"This car is so much fun to drive...lots of power, great handling, very responsive. Plus, it gets amazing gas mileage. Exactly what I wanted!"

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Exceptional value

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"I have a VERY long commute to/from work and was looking for a fuel efficent, comfortable but sporty car. I have owned the car only about a month and I am pleased with the performance and the sporty feel. I am getting use to watching the speedometer c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y and trying to keep the speed down. Easily cruises at 80mph for hours without any problems. The fuel mileage at this speed is still in the 40's!! Unbelieveable! I've cut my fuel stops in half with this car. I love it!! Go VW!"

VW Got it Right With the 2010 Golf TDI!

By on Thursday, July 01, 2010

"VW definitly exceeded expectations with the 2010 Golf TDI. I purchased the vehicle about 6 weeks ago and every aspect of the Golf has been great. First off, if you are considering the 2010 Golf I would highly recommend the diesel TDI option. The performance of the diesel engine blows away the gas model and the fuel economy is second to none and consisently performs above 40 mpg. Prior to purchasing the VW golf I owned a Toyota Pruis hybrid and the VW golf diesel (which is not a hybrid) easily gets better fuel economy than the Prius without sacrificing performance. The Golf provides amazing power, speed, and torque- it's really amazing that VW engineered a great combination of performance and economy in the TDi engine. The vehicle exterior is greatly improved over prior Golf models in that it stands out from the prototypical VW model. Often VW shared many body similarities to Audi (also part of the VW group), but if I wanted a car that looked like an Audi- then I would buy an Audi. The Golf has updated modern, european style with a shape and seamless curves that fit the size and style of the vehicle. The headlights stand out in style and provide exceptional visibility. The fog lamps finish off and complete the design enhancements in the front. The rear hatchback combined with a hidden handle inside the rear VW logo highlight the rear along with dual exhausts. Two other notes on the exterior are the 17" performance tires and a key free exterior (the VW golf wouldn't function with a regular key anyway as the anti-theft system is deactivated only by the remote keychain). The interior of Golf TDI provides an above average amount of standard equipment with modern technology that rivals many luxury models. The dashboard is centered with a multifunction lcd screen, premium radio and sound system with 6 disc in dash cd changer and controls for a well performing hvac system. The drivers dash panel contains traditional tachometer and spedometer, but goes above expectation with an lcd screen centered between the gauges that is controlled from the steering wheel. The screen offers the driver a multitude of options for display- a few of which are digital spedometer, trip data, and several different fuel economy calculators that will provide you with more information about your fuel consumption and economy/performance than most people even realize. The steering wheel is well sized, contains multifunction controls, and has independant tilt and telescoping adjustment capability. The interior is highlighted with a brushed chrome that does not show fingerprints and is easy to keep clean. The seating is spacious and comfortable. The front seats have several comfort and position adjustments and a premium cloth with detailing is present and gives the interior a premium and unique look. The rear is more than adequate with very comfortable seating and is functional with 60/40 folding seats to access the cargo area. The cargo area is spacious with ample room and practical enhancements for securing cargo. In summary- I'm thrilled with my new car. It has everything and more than I would expect or need. The info I provided only touches on some of the features of the vehicle, if I tried to describe them all this review would be 10 x longer than it already is! I do hope this info does help anyone who is researching new cars!"

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, trunk space, driving/power"

Cons: "Minimalist on interior but what is there well done"

"After relocating from living in a large city on the east coast (without a car) I needed to buy one for my job in California. I knew that I would have a long commute (80 miles roundtrip) and started looking at compact cars within my budget (not more than $19,000). I selected three based on their reviews on this website and others: honda civic, ford focus, and the vw golf. I decided on getting the golf because of the way it handles and drives (due to its engine). It was far superior than the other two vehicles. I appreciate gas economy but driving in LA traffic requires the occasional rapid acceleration/braking and this car delivers. The interior may not be luxurious but it has everything I need and is comfortable on a long drive. The MPG on the car is probably understated and I have found it to be wallet friendly even with the high local gas prices. I have the conv. package because I wanted the bluetooth phone connection. This technology works flawless with my iPhone and automatically connects to the phone anywhere in the car. I have a manual transmission so hands free calling is made easy with the selector button on the window wiper controller with this added feature. VW really thought long and hard on function, style, and comfort when they designed the car. They did not cut any corners and dollar for dollar I am glad I made this purchase and would do so again. The trunk space in the Golf is very large and if the back seat is folded down it has the same capacity as an SUV."

My seveth front wheel drive VW and by far the best

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Performance, comfort, economy, handling"

Cons: "few available options"

"The Golf sets the standard for compact cars. The 5 cylinder with six speed automatic is smooth, quiet and strong and for six thousand miles I have averaged 30.2 mpg. With little effort it will exceed the EPA estimates for combined mpg. The Golf's styling inside and out may be understated but quality and small thoughtful touches abound throughout the car. A temperature controlled and lockable glove compartment,full size 195/15 spare tire, additional under floor storage in luggage compartment, soft touch dash and door sills, lined storage compartments, etc. The traditional VW handling, steering and braking with superb highway ride and comfort. This is a car that grows on you and is a keeper."

golf tdi

By on Saturday, February 05, 2011

"i have 8800 miles on my 2010 golf tdi and i love it. I get amazing gas milage and it rides great. i have zero complaints so far.i would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a good mix of everything( speed/comfort/fuel economy."

Fun to drive with plenty of power, no regrets

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "sun roof, blue tooth, horse power, sound sys. ipod"

Cons: "small trunk, every else makes up for it."

"I was looking to replace my wifes work car 2011 nissan Versa, it was a base model cause we thought of cutting costs. No electronic windows or keyless entry.I would get so frustrated when i would open the door for her because i needed to open the drivers side first and then open hers from the inside. Also no electric windows felt like driving in the 1960s. When I looked at the 2011 Golf it was an excellent choice. All 4 automatic windows where standard and remote entry was a must. 17ys of marriage and love to open the door for my Baby. Makes it easier with the remote. The horse power does not compare against the Versa. The ride feels tight and solid, you can hardly feel the road in comparison with the versa you felt every bump on the road."

best VW yet - I've owned 5 of them

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "All of the above - comfort, performance and safety"

Cons: "Hatchback rear window is constantly dirty."

"The TDI is an exceptional vehicle from every aspect: performance, fuel economy, passenger comfort and HANDLING. Everything works perfectly - nothing to report at 'courtesy check'. Takes 4 passengers (3 on long road trips) in quiet , jewelry box-like interior. Running 38 mpg is mixed use - now that winter is here, diesel takes a long time (20 mins) to warm so fuel economy is down a bit. In warmer weather it was running in 40mpg range. From canyon carving to interstate cruising, handles like a classic BMW 3 series."