2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 101 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

I love this car.

By on Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, fit & finish, engineering."

Cons: "Small car ride, although better than most."

"I drive the two door, 2.5 liter gasoline Golf with a five speed manual transmission. It drives and handles very well in all sorts of conditions. After 120000 miles, it's still a bunch of fun every day."

2010 2.5L 6speed Auto

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Super Quality built in Germany Auto, Great Performance from the 2.5L, Decent MPG's, averaging 28 MPG : ). Triptronic transmission extracts copious torque through all the RPM range. Great in the City & a super ride on the highways...Comfortable seats/interior. Hatchback design is useful for large items. Great room in rear seats for passengers. Great standard 8 speakers sounds system. Great handling & controls. Great investment for the $'s You get what you pay for & the Golf is a great investment & super fun to drive... It's like a little Mercedes : ) @ half the price. I love my Golf, and I don't Golf : ) Best small car that I've owned 4-Sure."

I love driving this car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Torque! MPG! Handling!"

Cons: "Cup holders suck."

"Kickass torque! Terrific mileage: average 40 mpg doing 70-75 on highways and often pushing it in town. Handling is fantastic: takes curves on the Taconic like a champ. Only quibble: mechanics. Several early problems, including a cylinder issue were covered by VW even well after warrantee expired. But no issues for over a year now.... In sum: I put on a lot of miles and I love that diesel!"

best car for the money

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sporty, practical, best MPG"

Cons: "more expensive, warranty could be better"

"While the TDI version of the Golf is more expensive it is SO worth it! I get 39 MPG on average and can reach MPGs of 45-50 on the highway! I can drive a round trip from Seattle to Spokane on one tank of diesel easily. The interior is flawless and beautiful, super well done. I can play my iphone through the bluetooth option, no plug in required, yet still have the option of USB if needed. Touch screen is so fun. The seats are comfortable and sporty. It drives so well, and with a six speed really has some get up and go! My seats fold down for maximum storage and are easy to operate. Safety is in the top of its class with multiple airbags. Having the four door option is great for my passengers and my future children/getting car seats in and out. I just wouldn't choose any other car! I love my Golf! Its practical and hold its value unlike any other hatchback"

2015 VW Golf TSI SE- Best in class!

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Economical, powerful, fun to drive"

Cons: "none so far"

"I was looking for an economy hatch (around $25K) that was extremely comfortable for long trips, quiet at hwy speeds, gave great hwy mpgs and had decent tech. The choice came down to 3 cars- Mazda3 2.5GT, Kia Forte5 and the 2015 Golf TSI SE. The Kia has the best technology and creature comforts including heated and cooled driver seat, heated steering wheel etc... But I did not enjoy how it drove and the interior felt sort of lower tier. The Mazda3 was extremely impressive in just about every area but a lack of storage around the driver and no option for a lighter blue had me look toward the Golf. When I finally test drove it I felt like I was home. Just perfect in every area. Quieter and more comfortable than the other cars on the road, great storage everywhere including a large door pocket, storage under the seat and on the left of the steering wheel in addition to the center console and center stack. The infotainment system sounds incredible (since it's made by Fender- 400W sub woofer located inside the spare tire) and has a nice 5.8 inch color touch screen that works like a smart phone screen with swipes and pinches. Plus the Blue Silk Metallic is a beautiful blue. I bought the SE model with the lighting package which includes bi-Xenon lights with Adaptive front lighting and LED DRls (Adds $995). Including Chrome exhaust tips, mud flaps and monster mats I paid $26K including destination. I have only driven it around 700 miles so far but it's a dream. I am averaging around 30mpg but that's 90% city. I've seen MFD show between 38 and 40 mpg during the brief hwy driving at around 70mph. I expect it should easily get 40mpg on long trips. The 1.8T is a really powerful engine for this class and pulls the car extremely well - 0-60 in about 7.5 sec with the automatic. The low end torque 200 lbs/ft starts around 1500 rpm so the car shoots out of a stop light with amazing quickness. Hwy passing is cinch. It doesn't feel like it's laboring at all and there is almost no turbo lag. I think this is the best car I could have bought that fit my specifications and plus the German dynamics is just an added bonus."

A Practical, Fun To Drive, and Safe Car.

By on Saturday, May 9, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, premium interior, fast"

Cons: "No USB ports, Better transmision feel/shifts"

My 2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI S Four Door

"I've had my 2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI Four door with a six speed automatic for almost three weeks now, so I can't say too much as far as reliability goes yet. What I can say is that as someone who has driven almost every car in the compact car segment as part of my job (I work for a rental car company), I can say that my Golf smokes the base models of those cars in driving experience, ride quality, practicality, and looks. The driving dynamics about the Golf are what drew me to it the most. It handles better than most of the "hot" versions of other compact cars, and its the base models. The handling is neutral with very composed body roll, so you can chuck it into corners and cruise back-roads in it and have an absolutely great time. This is all while having a suspension setup that simultaneously soaks up all but the most jarring and wide pavement cracks while providing great cornering feel and stability. The back end is also very planted for such a light rear, and can easily dance around any corner it wants to. It's not a sporty car, but it sure behaves like one when thrown into a turn. The power-train is second to none. The 1.8L Turbo has all the power you want to pass anything you want on the highway, and the engine note is only apparent when you really push the accelerator. The rest of the time the engine is relatively quiet. The six speed automatic is a near perfect transmission, my only complaint being my preference for it to perhaps be a bit more soft at lower speeds. Sport mode doesn't seem to make a much noticeable difference so I just shift with the paddles when I get a chance. So far I'm averaging 30 MPG combined on 87 Octane regular, which is just what I was expecting and am very happy to meet. Practicality is awesome. My 6'2" stepfather was able to sit in the back seat without issues. The leatherette seats are so good you won't notice they're fake, an opinion seconded by a longtime German car mechanic in my family who has driven several generations (including the most recent) of Mercedes-Benz S class. The air conditioning system gets perfect air blasts and is very flexible, and defrosts the mirrors fast enough. The movable trunk floor is a great feature. I've already moved two beach chairs in the Golf without having to put the seat down, and I had no rear visibility issues. The technology in the Golf is second to none. Volkswagen's touch screen is not the largest I've seen in a compact, but it is hands down the best as far as responsiveness and graphics. Syncing my phone took very little time whatsoever, the sound system is amazing, and the number of buttons and dials is helpful when the touch screen is finnicky. My only gripe with the technology package is the lack of a proper USB port, which is rather irritating but not a deal breaker. Perhaps make the transmission a bit better at slow speeds and add some USB ports. But other than those issues, I could not be happier with my 2015 Volkswagen Golf. There is no car out there that I would consider buying for the money."

My 2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI S Four Door

Great, reliable and made for drivers

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Great Gas Mileage, Brilliant Handling"

"This is my second Golf. My first was a 1996 CL, gas model. This is my first diesel powered car. I have been quite impressed with how well this car handles and corners, it's extremely tight and responsive. I also love the turbo engine, it really kicks in and the power is great. The tech package makes it really comfortable, navigation, sunroof, bluetooth, iphone charger, heated seats....really comfortable. I also noticed how quiet the interior cabin is as well. Any of my friends or family that drive this car tell me how much the love it. I love this car too and never want to sell it!"

The Golf TDi is a fantastic car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great Highway MPG, torque, fun!"

Cons: "Not for Toyota Camry drivers"

"I have loved VW Golfs for quite a while now and I have had the privilege to own two of them, a MkIV (2002 gas) and my current MkVI (2011 TDi). The MkVI is a very comfortable and agile car that makes driving fun while sipping diesel. This car excels on the highway, returning 44-45 MPG on long trips. Tons of torque is available at low RPMs, so if you encounter a steep hill, just drop it into 3rd or 4th and it powers up the incline like it's not even there. If you are a city driver, this might not be the car for you if you're mainly looking for high MPGs. It's probably better to go with a Prius or other hybrid or even an electric Leaf since those cars excel in town, but you will have more fun with the Golf. The Golf is also one of the best looking cars on the road under $30k, classic with well defined lines and curves. No crazy bubbles, swoopes or oversized grilles. Plus, at 31k miles, I have had zero problems with this vehicle, which is to be expected. Ultimately, the Golf is a drivers car; so if you enjoy driving and think of it as more than just getting from point A to point B, you will really appreciate this car."

Horrible Maintenance Record

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "It has a lot of power and is fun to drive."

Cons: "Too many maintenance issues. Repairs are expensive"

"I have the VW Golf for less than 2 years and it has had nothing but problems with the brakes. So far I have had the entire braking system replaced at 10,000 miles. Then at 20,000 they had to replace the pads again because the brakes were still seizing up. Now at 40,000 my brakes are worn again and need to be replaced ... but guess what, now it's outside of warranty. I thought I would love this car, but so far it's been the worst decision I've ever made."

Safe, Reliable, holds Value!

By on Friday, April 3, 2015

Pros: "Everything about this car is wonderful"

Cons: "Nothing"

"This car was my first new car purchase as a young professional. I did my research and thank goodness for that! This car has always been reliable, I now have a child and feel confident it is safe for her and my family. Best decision. Plus it has a great sporty appearance."

I love it so far!

By on Friday, August 21, 2015

Pros: "Great mileage, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "break in period education"

"I think the new TDI's rock! I have had mine for almost 4 months, wanted to wait until I had driven it enough to write a review. I absolutely LOVE it. I get awesome mileage, I fill up 1/2 as much as my previous car. I have owned my fair share of different makes of vehicles, and this by FAR is the best I have ever owned.... I traded in a Cruze that I honestly really didn't care for one bit. This car makes me excited to drive! I have the Manual, I can't complain about power because it def. has enough... just a bit slow off the bat. But, not a deal breaker by any means. It's got some torque, the first time someone rides in it with me, that is one of the first things that they mention. It is comfortable to drive, handles great. I haven't driven it in the snow yet, but I can't see it being a problem. For the money I spent I think that it is a great value. The only advice I can give is, be sure to do the 10,000 mile maintenance as advised. Don't use the cruse control until the break in period is over, and be sure you educate yourself on the break in process to ensure your TDI will last you a lifetime. I love it. love it love it."

Great car goes bad after recall

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reason: Electrica problems after recall

Pros: "sharp looking, gets lots of compliments"

Cons: "Electrical problems after software recall."

"This is / was a great car until I got a recall notice. The recall was a software correction for the stability control, etc from my recolection. The car was flawless until that recall. I drove it back in the dealership repair. Before I even got off the lot, the Blue Tooth no longer worked, they had to reprogram it. Then, after leaving the lot I had trouble with the windows, sunroof and radio. I was so distraught, I didn't even take it back, I just lost money and traded it off with only 1590 miles on it! I've had problems with other cars (not VW) that took 6 or 7 tries and couldn't get fixed. I saw "my" car, I traded at KIA, a few months later at the VW lot. It only had 5,400 miles and now looking for another owner. I guess the new owner didn't like it either(still under warranty). Now, in all fairness, they car was perfect till then. Have any others had this experience?"

Great Genes

By on Sunday, September 27, 2015

"We bought the TSI model with sunroof, leatherette, fender stereo,17 inch wheels and lighting package. has the paddle shifters but rarely use. turbo lag very apparent in first gear, you have to learn to put your foot into it a bit otherwise very sluggish starting from stop, but after that it's a little autobahn rocket. Had a 83 GTI and reminds me a lot of that when driving. Not perfect though. poor rearward visibility, the rear back up lights do not illuminate very well at night, the backup camera does not have the turning guides that other cars like Mazda has and VW cheaped out by not also installing back up sensors that beep as you are nearing an obstacle behind you. I have that system on my ford pickup and can get within an inch of whatever is behind me without hitting. As you can probably guess, my wife was backing out at night and hit my truck. Light damage to both but could have been avoided with the sensors that beep. Otherwise, love driving this car."

Great value, well built

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Reason: wanted a new car

Pros: "quality, great customer care, very well built"

Cons: "Plethora of small things went wrong under warranty"

"Fun to drive with a truly well built interior. I had a lot of warranty items needing attention, so it was inconvenient. The car is truly comfortable. Gas mileage was consistently 30mpg which for the 2.5L 5 cylinder was really good, and with the 5 speed manual. I really recommend the golf as a superiorly well conceived and designed car, top of its class NO DOUBT"

It's a great drive! But......

By on Saturday, April 18, 2015

Pros: "Like being in a roller coaster around turns!"

Cons: "Quality control"

"I've had quality control issues. Hatchback opener has broken. Gas flap has snapped off. Leather seat bolster wearing through after 2 years. Little things that make a difference."

A fine, snug little car.

By on Saturday, March 7, 2015

Pros: "engineering, build, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "slow derfroster, heater controls"

"Reliable, fun to drive, excellent fit and finish. A bit tight inside, especially in winter attire. Radio and CD have fine sound. Good snow handling with winter tires. Downside: Diesel takes 10 minutes to warm up in winter, so slow defroster. Heat controls are tiny, hard to read and not intuitive. Diesel fuel costs can cancel out higher mileage ratings."

Super fun to drive - great value for money

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "Should buy arm rest"

"The driving experience is a lot of fun. While it feels secure, you do get the dynamic of a small fast car. Great MPG too. I use the VW Golf as a daily commuter to work, and I haven't had any problems with it ever."

Dull, dull and brilliantly dull

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Dull, but brilliantly so"

Cons: "Dull, but that's the biggest con I can think of."

"The Golf 2.5 Base is my wife's car. It replaced her 12 year old Miata. Everything about this car is sensible or reasonable or both. Dependable, predictable, solid, reasonably economical, sensible price, sensible size, reasonably comfortable, reasonable stereo, reasonable servicing costs, reasonable looks, better than reasonable built quality. Reasonable performance if you can be bothered to go and find it. Just does everything it says in the brochure without any fuss or excitement. She hates buttons and it has the minimum. For example, Lights: on or off. That's it, 2 positions. She hates complexity, and there isn't any. Absolute wysiwyg,(the car and her) and she loves it. Dull but brilliantly so (only the car this time - not her). Probably everything she looked for in her spouse, and at least the car came through."

never had such value, mileage and performance

By on Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"mileage over 44000 miles has averaged 35 in town and 42 on long trips and the power of a V6 it is simply amazing."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pros: "Really handles well"

Cons: "No center armrest or center starage"

"I still look forward to driving it every day after 3 1/2 years!"

best car ever

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "all good"

Cons: "maintenance is costly"

"An excellent car. Besides the miles per gallon. Handles so well, like a really expensive german car. Top notch quality inside, seat material a little on the economical side. Also somethings over engineered but for me that's great. Have put almost 50,000 miles on the car and it sti;; drives like a 50,000 car. All i do is the maintenance which is expensive at VW. LOve the car!"

Not met expectations

By on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"owned vehicle for six months, already having issues with TPMS light on. Replace two tires leaking air. Miles per gallon not to expectations around 24 miles per gallon."

Everything That I Wanted

By on Friday, May 8, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage, good styling, comfortable"

Cons: "Manual Day/Night rearview mirror"

My car & the Battleship North Carolina

"I was researching for a new car that was small, comfortable, drives well, and fuel efficient I didn't think that I could find them all in one car. VW invented the hatchback and this new model shows the experience. The inside is comfortable and gives the feeling of a luxury car . The outside is sporty and is very pleasing to the eye. I didn't know what to expect with a diesel. I waited until the coldest morning of the year (15F) and asked to start the car cold. It turned over w/o any problems and drove well. I love my diesel! It's responsive, smooth and is getting a little over 50 mpg. The only thing I found different is that the diesel is more efficient then a gas engine, so it takes about 4 times the distance to warm up to a point where the heater is issuing heat in the winter. The heated seats, that I didn't think I needed, feel great on those days. It's everything I was looking for and I am enjoying everything about it."

My car & the Battleship North Carolina

Alot of fun for the money!

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "power, acceleration, great mpg,"

Cons: "needs all digital gauges, needs standard HIDs"

"I have the 4 door tdi model. It has plenty of power to zoom thru mountain curves and hills. I get around 37 mpg around town with several redlights/stops. This car is economic and will make you feel youthful behind the wheel. Steering is very responsive and acceleration is superb! The interior is quiet and comfy for racing buckets up front. Interior has an upgraded feel compared to a civic or impreza. Does really well ion the hwy for a short wheel base vehicle. Love the car and always makes me smile on a curvy road!"

Best car ever?

By on Saturday, January 3, 2015

Pros: "Driving the Golf TDI is so much fun"

Cons: "Navigation data requires $99 update every 2 years."

"Fun to drive. Plenty of power. Solid feel grips twisty mountain roads in worst weather conditions. Love the touchscreen and hands off bluetooth. Plays well with iPhone. Exudes high quality and feel of much higher priced German road cars. Outstanding cabin materials and construction; fuel-efficient diesel engine; spacious hatchback body style; refined driving dynamics."