2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

I LOVE this car

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "engine is a bit noisy"

"This car is so much fun to drive...lots of power, great handling, very responsive. Plus, it gets amazing gas mileage. Exactly what I wanted!"

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Exceptional value

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"I have a VERY long commute to/from work and was looking for a fuel efficent, comfortable but sporty car. I have owned the car only about a month and I am pleased with the performance and the sporty feel. I am getting use to watching the speedometer c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y and trying to keep the speed down. Easily cruises at 80mph for hours without any problems. The fuel mileage at this speed is still in the 40's!! Unbelieveable! I've cut my fuel stops in half with this car. I love it!! Go VW!"

VW Got it Right With the 2010 Golf TDI!

By on Thursday, July 01, 2010

"VW definitly exceeded expectations with the 2010 Golf TDI. I purchased the vehicle about 6 weeks ago and every aspect of the Golf has been great. First off, if you are considering the 2010 Golf I would highly recommend the diesel TDI option. The performance of the diesel engine blows away the gas model and the fuel economy is second to none and consisently performs above 40 mpg. Prior to purchasing the VW golf I owned a Toyota Pruis hybrid and the VW golf diesel (which is not a hybrid) easily gets better fuel economy than the Prius without sacrificing performance. The Golf provides amazing power, speed, and torque- it's really amazing that VW engineered a great combination of performance and economy in the TDi engine. The vehicle exterior is greatly improved over prior Golf models in that it stands out from the prototypical VW model. Often VW shared many body similarities to Audi (also part of the VW group), but if I wanted a car that looked like an Audi- then I would buy an Audi. The Golf has updated modern, european style with a shape and seamless curves that fit the size and style of the vehicle. The headlights stand out in style and provide exceptional visibility. The fog lamps finish off and complete the design enhancements in the front. The rear hatchback combined with a hidden handle inside the rear VW logo highlight the rear along with dual exhausts. Two other notes on the exterior are the 17" performance tires and a key free exterior (the VW golf wouldn't function with a regular key anyway as the anti-theft system is deactivated only by the remote keychain). The interior of Golf TDI provides an above average amount of standard equipment with modern technology that rivals many luxury models. The dashboard is centered with a multifunction lcd screen, premium radio and sound system with 6 disc in dash cd changer and controls for a well performing hvac system. The drivers dash panel contains traditional tachometer and spedometer, but goes above expectation with an lcd screen centered between the gauges that is controlled from the steering wheel. The screen offers the driver a multitude of options for display- a few of which are digital spedometer, trip data, and several different fuel economy calculators that will provide you with more information about your fuel consumption and economy/performance than most people even realize. The steering wheel is well sized, contains multifunction controls, and has independant tilt and telescoping adjustment capability. The interior is highlighted with a brushed chrome that does not show fingerprints and is easy to keep clean. The seating is spacious and comfortable. The front seats have several comfort and position adjustments and a premium cloth with detailing is present and gives the interior a premium and unique look. The rear is more than adequate with very comfortable seating and is functional with 60/40 folding seats to access the cargo area. The cargo area is spacious with ample room and practical enhancements for securing cargo. In summary- I'm thrilled with my new car. It has everything and more than I would expect or need. The info I provided only touches on some of the features of the vehicle, if I tried to describe them all this review would be 10 x longer than it already is! I do hope this info does help anyone who is researching new cars!"

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, trunk space, driving/power"

Cons: "Minimalist on interior but what is there well done"

"After relocating from living in a large city on the east coast (without a car) I needed to buy one for my job in California. I knew that I would have a long commute (80 miles roundtrip) and started looking at compact cars within my budget (not more than $19,000). I selected three based on their reviews on this website and others: honda civic, ford focus, and the vw golf. I decided on getting the golf because of the way it handles and drives (due to its engine). It was far superior than the other two vehicles. I appreciate gas economy but driving in LA traffic requires the occasional rapid acceleration/braking and this car delivers. The interior may not be luxurious but it has everything I need and is comfortable on a long drive. The MPG on the car is probably understated and I have found it to be wallet friendly even with the high local gas prices. I have the conv. package because I wanted the bluetooth phone connection. This technology works flawless with my iPhone and automatically connects to the phone anywhere in the car. I have a manual transmission so hands free calling is made easy with the selector button on the window wiper controller with this added feature. VW really thought long and hard on function, style, and comfort when they designed the car. They did not cut any corners and dollar for dollar I am glad I made this purchase and would do so again. The trunk space in the Golf is very large and if the back seat is folded down it has the same capacity as an SUV."

My seveth front wheel drive VW and by far the best

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Performance, comfort, economy, handling"

Cons: "few available options"

"The Golf sets the standard for compact cars. The 5 cylinder with six speed automatic is smooth, quiet and strong and for six thousand miles I have averaged 30.2 mpg. With little effort it will exceed the EPA estimates for combined mpg. The Golf's styling inside and out may be understated but quality and small thoughtful touches abound throughout the car. A temperature controlled and lockable glove compartment,full size 195/15 spare tire, additional under floor storage in luggage compartment, soft touch dash and door sills, lined storage compartments, etc. The traditional VW handling, steering and braking with superb highway ride and comfort. This is a car that grows on you and is a keeper."

golf tdi

By on Saturday, February 05, 2011

"i have 8800 miles on my 2010 golf tdi and i love it. I get amazing gas milage and it rides great. i have zero complaints so far.i would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a good mix of everything( speed/comfort/fuel economy."

Fun to drive with plenty of power, no regrets

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "sun roof, blue tooth, horse power, sound sys. ipod"

Cons: "small trunk, every else makes up for it."

"I was looking to replace my wifes work car 2011 nissan Versa, it was a base model cause we thought of cutting costs. No electronic windows or keyless entry.I would get so frustrated when i would open the door for her because i needed to open the drivers side first and then open hers from the inside. Also no electric windows felt like driving in the 1960s. When I looked at the 2011 Golf it was an excellent choice. All 4 automatic windows where standard and remote entry was a must. 17ys of marriage and love to open the door for my Baby. Makes it easier with the remote. The horse power does not compare against the Versa. The ride feels tight and solid, you can hardly feel the road in comparison with the versa you felt every bump on the road."

best VW yet - I've owned 5 of them

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "All of the above - comfort, performance and safety"

Cons: "Hatchback rear window is constantly dirty."

"The TDI is an exceptional vehicle from every aspect: performance, fuel economy, passenger comfort and HANDLING. Everything works perfectly - nothing to report at 'courtesy check'. Takes 4 passengers (3 on long road trips) in quiet , jewelry box-like interior. Running 38 mpg is mixed use - now that winter is here, diesel takes a long time (20 mins) to warm so fuel economy is down a bit. In warmer weather it was running in 40mpg range. From canyon carving to interstate cruising, handles like a classic BMW 3 series."

BEST NEW VEHICLE AVAILABLE!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE, FUEL MILAGE, PRICE, RELIABILITY!!!"

Cons: "DRIVERS CLOTH SEAT TRY TO UNRAVEL, WARRANY REPAIR"

"I LOVE MY VW TDI 6-SPEED MANUAL I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE. FUEL MILAGE IS UNDERESTIMATED I GET BETWEEN 38-42 NORMAL DRIVING AND 48 HIGHWAY DRIVING. ONLY THING I WOULD CHANGE IS I WOULD HAVE GOT LEATHER SEATS. THE TDI VERSION IS THE BEST VALUE OF ANY NEW CAR AVAILABLE! 600 MILES TO A TANK 50 DOLLARS TO FILL UP AVERAGE. I AM A HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNICHAN AND CAN TELL YOU EVERY SYSTEM ON THIS CAR IS SOLID AND WELL BUILT. EXCELLENT POWER AND HANDLING, SMOOTH SHIFTING, WELL DESIGNED ELECTRONICS SYSTEM, AND ERGONOMICS ARE JUST A FEW OF THE CHARACTERISTICS. 9.8 OUT OF 10!!!"

Love This Car!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive, economical, quick, handles well, attractive..."

Cons: "Haven't found any yet."

"I have owned the car for a month now and I moved over from owning several cars from Honda. I felt at home driving the car in just three days, like I have been driving it my whole life. The quality, comfort, handling and gas mileage of the Golf are remarkable. I am averaging 30c - 40h per gallon. It is comfortable on the long haul and handles incredibly around curves and stops on a dime. The hatchback/back seat space opens up to hold an incredible amount of stuff, including furniture. What a great car!"

2013 VW Golf-Love <3

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Audio, Comfy interior, nice exterior, fun to drive"

Cons: "No standard USB :("

"I have the 2013 VW Golf in the blue metallic. I LOVE THIS CAR. I had a 2011 Honda Fit that I traded in for it, I loved that car too....until I drove this one. Bought this car got rid of the Honda and I have never looked back. They have practically thought of everything from the little LED lights that shine down on the shifter to the heated side view mirrors, to the climate controlled and lockable glovebox to the comfy seats with lumbar support. The media interface for the stereo is attractive and the speakers and audio sound are top notch. The AC and heat are awesome. The tiptronic transmission is awesome and this car is FUN to drive. I can almost keep up with my boyfriend who owns a GTI. Almost. I highly recommend this car! :)"

Excellent all around

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Value, sporty, good on gas, great warranty"

Cons: "Not very pretty"

"Great motor. Now getting 29-34mpg!! (was a lot worse when newer). Had a bunch of warranty problems (upholstery, keys, electronics), and VW took care of all the items under warranty without batting an eye! AMAZING customer service!. And it is very comfortable: I am 6ft4.5 and I have PLENTY of legroom and headroon: VERY difficulto for me to find a truly comfortable small car."

These cars are designed for the German Autobahns!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "The TDI offers an excellent package!"

"With that said, I have to admit that my 2011 Golf TDI hangs with the best on the German highways. You may think that the autobahns are flat open roads, but in reality compare them to the interstate system in PA. I can go into a hill (speed between 80-90 mph) loaded with passengers and with the air conditioner on, up the hill, and get to the top of the hill without pulling it out of sixth gear; couldn't say that about my Honda Accord. The 2.0 liter turbo matched with the 6 speed manual gear box is a very powerful and economic vehicle that does very well in all driving conditions and environments. The upgrade from it's gasoline companion is well worth the three thousand dollar differnce, not only in fuel economy, but the overall packet in general. Just to name a few... sport suspension, alloy 17" wheels, premium sound system, multi-function steering wheel, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The car is larger than its visual appearance, but still ideal for small roads and tight parking. Don't let the fact of it being a diesel scare you; it's quiet, vibration-less, and produces ultra-low emmissions. My tailpipe looks as clean as when I first bought the car and the car behind me can tell I have a diesel only by looking at the emblem on the rear hatch. I would recommend opting for xenon headlights if you plan on driving very fast at night."

2010 Golf

By on Saturday, July 03, 2010

"I have been a VW fan for years. Best value for the money in it's class. I just purchased a 2010 Golf and it is a great value, good options, nice styling and fun to drive. It also gets decent gas mileage. Only bad is a big blind spot on the drivers left shoulder. I wish they had kept the old body style."

Excellent car. Fun to drive. Great mileage.

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "High quality build in a fun package."

Cons: "No leather seats."

"I bought 2012 Golf TDI manual. Wanted a spirited fun car that got great mileage and could still carry people and guitars when necessary. This car is it! Plenty of go-power, superb handling, averaging over 40 mpg. Almost a sports car feel. Still fit an entire pa system and guitars. Two six-footers told me the back seat had plenty of room. Cabin is well done. Will need good snow tires next winter. I truly love this car. Plenty of tech, plenty of old fashioned fun. I recommend it if you want a hot hatch with super diesel mileage. Pay a few extra bucks. It's worth it."

Well built car for the money.

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "It makes me smile to drive it hard. Just a fun car"

Cons: "needs more storage in center console"

"Fantastic seats! Best all around driving car I have ever owned. I was originally looking at the TDI model, but didn't want to pay the extra 6 grand. This car has every safety feature of the most expensive cars on the road at the 17K pricepoint. I tested out just about every car in the 17 to 20K price range, and the VW was a real standout in every way. I'm 6'2 and 225 lbs. The cars in this price range were little with small uncomfortable seats. The Golf has large seats which are not too short to support your thighs. I would buy this car again."

Great car

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Saves a lot on fuel, torquey fun, comfortable!"

"I bought a 4-dr TDI Golf last November after wanting a diesel Golf for quite some time. This is my second VW (I still own a 95 VR6 GTI) and we have 3 others in the family including another 2011 TDI Golf. I average 40-45 MPG on my commute which I would not consider highway miles. I do see 50 MPG on days with less traffic during my commute. I easily save $80 plus a month on fuel due to this car. I drive at least 2 hours a day for work (30 miles) and this car is extremely comfortable. It has made my commute more enjoyable with the touchscreen radio, bluetooth, and comfortable seats. I would definitely recommend getting heated seats if you live anywhere with cold winters because diesels do not heat up as quick as a gasoline car. My heated seats heat up fairly quick. The car is roomy and the hatch area offers a good amount of space as well. I haven't had any reliability issues with my car and every trip to the dealer has been a good one. The only thing I'd change with these cars is more color options. I opted for the Blue Graphite which I absolutely love, but VW used to offer a lot more variety. I hope to keep this car at least 10 years and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable small car with excellent fuel mileage."

I loved this car!!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great value, super fun to drive"

Cons: "Would have preferred 8 way adjustable seat."

"Great car. Never once stuck in the worst winter of my life even when 4WD cars couldnt make it up the hilly roads. Super comfortable and totally 100% reliable all of the time."

German engineering and Driving performance

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"I have had four BMW's and am sold on German engineering and driving performance. My Golf gives me both at an unmatched value-for-the-money price."

Love this car!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas, good in the snow, very comfortable"

"This is the 4th volswagon I've owned and I am very happy with my car! Good on gas, very comfortable, great in the snow, extras that came with it, ie heated seats are fabulous! I have always had good performance from my Volkswagons and am just as pleased with the Golf! All pros and no cons in my opinion."

Awesome car.

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage and handling."

Cons: "Not the sexiest looking car"

"Not the biggest interior, but easily fits my 6'5" frame in the drivers seat with 2 clicks left on the seat! Handles like a slot car. Great getup and go. Averages 38mpg, and I don't drive lightly."

AWSOME CAR

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, awsome fuel mileage!"

Cons: "wish i had got the sunroof!"

"I purchased this car mostly for fuel mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work daily. I average about 45 MPG. On road trips i have noticed 51 MPG routinely. This is with the cruise control set at 70. The car is quite roomy, I have had 4 adults in the car and no complaints. I have loaded up the car for a weekend trip and had plenty of room. The car handles quite sporty, better then I had anticipated. This is a great car overall Why waste your extra money on a hybrid when Diesel is just as clean and you dont have batteries to dispose of? GREAT CAR!!"

good car for the price

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,good gas mileage"

Cons: "ride not as smooth as the mini"

"the gas mileage is good.acceleration is better than what some would expect out of a diesel.the usb cord could be longer,but i do like the fact that your ipod is hidden in the center armrest."