2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

AWSOME CAR

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, awsome fuel mileage!"

Cons: "wish i had got the sunroof!"

"I purchased this car mostly for fuel mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work daily. I average about 45 MPG. On road trips i have noticed 51 MPG routinely. This is with the cruise control set at 70. The car is quite roomy, I have had 4 adults in the car and no complaints. I have loaded up the car for a weekend trip and had plenty of room. The car handles quite sporty, better then I had anticipated. This is a great car overall Why waste your extra money on a hybrid when Diesel is just as clean and you dont have batteries to dispose of? GREAT CAR!!"

good car for the price

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,good gas mileage"

Cons: "ride not as smooth as the mini"

"the gas mileage is good.acceleration is better than what some would expect out of a diesel.the usb cord could be longer,but i do like the fact that your ipod is hidden in the center armrest."

Almost perfect

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Good driving, design and quality"

Cons: "Weak seat fabric, door seals not tight"

"I own 2.5 L two door manual, with winter package. Excellent in almost every way except few not major things: Seat fabric is looking great, but is weak and wears out rapidly at the friction points. The driver’s door seal is not thick enough in the latch area, so I could hear some extra road noise. Great ergonomic design in and out. It is very stable at any speed, quiet while cruising at 80 miles/h. With the stock tires I was getting 36 miles per gallon on the freeway easily. With larger tires it dropped to about 33. It is sensitive to the way you drive though, if you push it hard you will get worse quite a bit. Do not get deceived by the small look, it is comfortable enough for 4 regular size persons. Might not be the quickest on the road, but is peppy. It is a little Audi for the price of cheesy car. Recommend!"

FUN TO DRIVE ! I love it.

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun, unique, great gas mileage, peppy engine"

Cons: "Would have liked a few more color options to choose from."

"I bought my Golf in June 2010. I've had it now 16mos and love it. It's reliable, economical, and very fun to drive. Everything has worked, with no mechanical issues or fit"

Love it

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"This car is great: the power of the diesel engine, the gas mileage, the internal and external styling, the way the seats hold you in, the environmental ratings, the attention to detail... I love it. I am a tiny person (5'1") and the only issue I have is that I need to pull my seat forward every time I get in to be able to fully depress the clutch and then move it back to get out of the car. A small price to pay for a seriously fun and surprisingly roomy car (e.g., me, my brother, three of his friends and all of our stuff driving around for three days). I put 12k miles on it in 6 months and it has served me well. Best mileage I've gotten to date was 50mpg, it meets California's new emission standards, takes biodiesel and qualified for a 'green' tax credit. It obviously doesn't perform like a WRX or other sportscars, but it can definitely hold its own and is pretty powerful. I highly recommend this car."

Perfect long commuter

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"Like most TDIers, I have a 100 mile commute every day. The diesel gets great gas mileage in the summer, and better than most in the winter. Interior is typical great ergonomic VW stuff. Acceleration is acceptable, and handling is phenomenal. I like the tuner-tude of VW's too."

great diesel

By on Saturday, November 06, 2010

"The 2010 Golf TDI is an excellent car. Great fuel mileage, great performance. For a diesel, it has a lot of torque, and keeps up with traffic. The only complaint are the seats. They are uncomfortable."

Awesome Car!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

"I am so glad that I took the time to check out the 2012 Golf TDI. It is a fantastic car in so many ways. It is fun to drive, has plenty of power, comfortable (fits like a glove), is easy to maneuver and park, brakes work really well, gets great gas (diesel) mileage, looks great inside and out, more spacious than it looks from the outside, will last a very long time with the diesel engine, and the price is very reasonable for what you get. VW has done a great job on this car and I am thrilled to own it! I can't imagine ever buying an ugly prius when the great looking Golf TDI is available!"

best small car!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, reliability"

"Excellent car, sturdy, reliable, love them so much we have two! best value of any small car!"

Love my TDI Golf

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

"I have not had a Volkswagen since I had my 66 VW beetle 15 years ago, and wow was I missing out. I love the design and the styling of the Golf. The interior looks better then many of the other cars I have owned. I wanted a hatchback and was looking at the Mazda 3 and this car. I am glad I choose the Volkswagen except the price, but you get what you pay for. The car just feels like it is built to last, all the way down to the cross stiching in the seats for better wear protection. I love the milage that I get in my TDI about 40 avg.Just wish she was more consistent at acceleration but thats a turbo car. At times it feels like she doesnt want to go but other times she throws my head back(She's a moody girl sometimes). Love everything about the car but how the drivers cockpit is tight around my legs. I feel like I have to lean my foot way to the right to reach the gas pedal. All because the consule is rounded wide down by my calfs. Other than that plenty of room for myself the wife and two girls. Both of my girls are in car seats in the back my 2 yr old can touch the back of my seat with her legs though, but thats because the car seat for her pushes her about a 7 inches forward. I love all the options it comes with, like the two ways to shift the auto trans at the shifter or with the steering wheel paddles. The bluetooth is crystal clear, and the touch screen radio is cool and sounds wonderful. Great great great car."

SO worth it.

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "great handling, safe, great first car"

just after a car wash.

"There's not a single bad word that could be said about this car. Everyone who has driven mine says it's a super fun ride, and it handles extremely well on every type of terrain. When slamming on the brakes, this car does everything in its power to stop as soon as possible. I almost was in an accident but this car swerved like it was a everyday driving maneuver. This is my first car and down the road when I'm in need of a new one, I'll be investing in the GTI version."

just after a car wash.

TDI - Fun, Fun, Fun

By on Monday, August 01, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, comfortable"

Cons: "No cons to report ( I hope it stays that way)"

"So I am a die-hard VWer thanks to my first car, hand-me-down 1969 beetle. Since my first car I have only had domestic cars and trucks. I traded in my H3 for my Golf TDI because I wanted diesel durability and I paired it with a manual transmission. I expect many miles of drivetrain life. I was pleased to find the interior is very comfortable too. So far 4500 miles and averaging @45 mpg - I travel mainly highway miles and it is relatively flat. Also has tons of cargo space for appearing so small."

Imagine a Prius...Now Make it FUN

By on Saturday, January 08, 2011

"I bought this car because I wanted something that was fun to drive and also sipped fuel. I drove tons of cars - Focus, Prius, Mazda 3, and even a Golf GTI (still reasonably fuel-efficient given the extra horsepower). This car blew them all away. Performance: I've seen some reviews that say this is almost as fun to drive as the GTI and they aren't exaggerating! My boss who drives a BMW 3-series was impressed with how this thing handles around corners, and the low-pitched rumble of the engine is awesome when accelerating out of a corner. Fuel Efficiency: I drive about 1500 miles a month, mostly highway, and I end up getting about 42mpg on average in the summer and am getting about 40 in the winter (that's for a tank) despite some "spirited" driving. The fuel efficiency definitely drops off during city driving but is still respectable. For the type of driving I do, this is about even with the Prius's 48mpg highway (higher MPG numbers yield diminishing returns because of the way it is calculated) Cabin: This car definitely feels more upscale than the other cars I drove. It's definitely no Audi or BMW, but it isn't that far off and you definitely won't feel embarrassed to show it off to your friends and co-workers. The touchscreen radio seemed a bit excessive when I bought the car but now that I've been using it for almost a year I don't know if I could go back - it's nice seeing all the information about a song at once! Cons: There aren't a whole lot of storage compartments in this car. There is a pocket in each of the doors, a glove compartment, and a bit of space between the driver and passenger front seat and that's pretty much it. It was a big change from the Honda Accord I had owned previously, and definitely less space than some of the other compacts I drove. Also, be prepared to be second-class citizen at fueling stations - many gas stations don't have diesel and those that do usually have only 1-2 stations that also do normal fuel so are often occupied by cars that don't need the diesel. That being said, the car has about a 600 mile range for me, so having to wait a couple more exits to refuel isn't bad. Also, don't expect to get any discounts on fuel when you wash your car - that's apparently for gasoline users only!"

Expensive to maintain but solid car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"I bought my 2010 VW Golf TDI used with 79K already on it. I put roughly 30K miles a year on my vehicle so I needed something that was reliable and got good gas mileage, which is why I decided to take the diesel plunge. Pros and cons. Pros, with a manual 6spd I get about 45mpg and just over 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank. At 140 hp I get 236 ft. lbs. of torgue...nice! This car is easy to drive, handles well and has all the bells and whistles I need to be comfortable. Also, diesels are notorious for getting very high miles before giving out. I'm hoping for at least 400K but only time will tell. Cons, VW's (especially diesels) are expensive to maintain. Newer VW TDI's require 507 (rated) 5W/30 oil that costs about $9-10 a quart, ouch! Glow plugs are about $90 a piece if you order them on line. Also, these diesels are ULEV so they pass emissions in all 50 states. Only draw back to this is that in order to accomplish this the emissions system is fairly elaborate and has been my biggest maintenance headache so far. So in short, this is a very solid car and I hope to drive it for years to come but be prepared to dole out some $$$ from time to time to keep it in shape. If you get one from a dealer don't be afraid to haggle for an extended warranty even if you have to pay for it. In my opinion VW is not well known for great customer service unless you're already "covered" by warranty."

Ultimate Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, low total cost of ownership"

Cons: "Wish it was AWD :-)"

"Blast to drive, 550 miles per tank, engine will last 200k+. With Dynaudio, sunroof, 4 doors, and an unbelievably smooth DSG transmission..... the car is almost too good to be true. Buy one and be referred to as the wisest car guy in the room."

Everything That I Wanted

By on Friday, May 08, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage, good styling, comfortable"

Cons: "Manual Day/Night rearview mirror"

My car & the Battleship North Carolina

"I was researching for a new car that was small, comfortable, drives well, and fuel efficient I didn't think that I could find them all in one car. VW invented the hatchback and this new model shows the experience. The inside is comfortable and gives the feeling of a luxury car . The outside is sporty and is very pleasing to the eye. I didn't know what to expect with a diesel. I waited until the coldest morning of the year (15F) and asked to start the car cold. It turned over w/o any problems and drove well. I love my diesel! It's responsive, smooth and is getting a little over 50 mpg. The only thing I found different is that the diesel is more efficient then a gas engine, so it takes about 4 times the distance to warm up to a point where the heater is issuing heat in the winter. The heated seats, that I didn't think I needed, feel great on those days. It's everything I was looking for and I am enjoying everything about it."

My car & the Battleship North Carolina

I love this car!

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Great Quality. Fit and finish is excellent"

Cons: "No armrest on the Base Model."

"I have had mostly domestic cars for the past 20 years but this year I decided on the Golf. I loved the fit and finish of the car. It was so much better than the other cars I have owned. I have the base model and I get around 40mg on a trip, but not as well if I put my foot into it. I love the sound of the 2.5L 5 cyl. It reminds me of the Audi my parents owned and that I learned to drive on. The Audi was a great 5cyl engine too. With getting close to 40mg on trips, I don't see the need for the TDI which was much more expensive. The only thing I don't like is that I think the base model should come with an armrest. I am currently looking to buy one and install it. This car was a bit pricier than others I looked at but the quality and driving experience was well worth the money."

Great Diesel Sipper

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Fuel up less often, lots of power."

Cons: "Price too high, Blue motion not available in USA"

"Compared to other cars I have driven among a fleet of cars, the handling of the 2011 VW Golf TDi is sporty and loads of fun to drive. As a daily driver in-town the MPG is not as high as hybrid but you will be passing those hybrids on the road. Out on the highway is where the fuel economy kicks in. It lost only one point for reliability because it required road-side assistance to jump the car 3 times, which was covered under warranty for the first 3yrs/36K miles which was all due to a faulty battery. Related to quality after service was conducted to replace a faulty cruise control switch the horn was put back in improperly. It is really embarrassing having your car involuntarily honk. The dealer rapidly repaired the issue and provided a loaner during the process. The interior surfaces are firm but the seats are a bit rough to the touch and could be softened up a bit. The road noise was a bit more than I'd like for a VW. Only thing related to convenience is the service location is rather far away and requires taking off during the work week for anything more than an oil change. More dealerships would be nice. The interior finishes are great but the seats are rough to the touch. I would have rather had leatherette as an option in this car. I do love this car!"

Outstanding buy

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Low cost of ownership, great torque"

Cons: "FWD, speed tease"

"Ton of torque, can burn out or throw you back in your chair if you want it to. Put your foot into the pedal with no worry of fuel consumption. 40 mpg with a lead foot. Very light car yet capable for storage, fold down the rear seats and its like a mini truck. 4 door provides low insurance cost and unbelievably low cost of ownership. Drive 15,000 miles a year for $2,000(gas+insurance). Thats 13 cents per mile of FUN driving!"

TDI = :-)

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"I traded in my beloved 2002 Land Rover Discovery for a 2011 VW Golf TDI. I'm on the road for work all the time and you just can't beat the MPG with the feel of actually driving a car vs a hybrid. Yes, the hybrid will give you better MPG's but the over all longevity of the diesel engine over the batter in the golf kart will last you a lot longer. The styling is still very european and its fun fast and enjoyable to drive."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "small"

"It was my very first car I bought myself and also learned to drive standard. I couldn't ask for a better and more reliable car myself. It is great that the dealership does all maintenance for me and its free!"

Great commuter and highway cruiser

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, great on local 2-lane roads"

Cons: "Nearest dealer 50 miles away"

"Really a great little car. I've put 70,000 miles on mine and only had a check engine light come on once for a faulty oxygen sensor. Can consistently returns 35+mpg in town and 40-45 on the highway depending on how heavy your right foot is. Comfortable, quiet, and pretty good room all things considered."

2010 2.5L 6speed Auto

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Super Quality built in Germany Auto, Great Performance from the 2.5L, Decent MPG's, averaging 28 MPG : ). Triptronic transmission extracts copious torque through all the RPM range. Great in the City & a super ride on the highways...Comfortable seats/interior. Hatchback design is useful for large items. Great room in rear seats for passengers. Great standard 8 speakers sounds system. Great handling & controls. Great investment for the $'s You get what you pay for & the Golf is a great investment & super fun to drive... It's like a little Mercedes : ) @ half the price. I love my Golf, and I don't Golf : ) Best small car that I've owned 4-Sure."

I love driving this car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Torque! MPG! Handling!"

Cons: "Cup holders suck."

"Kickass torque! Terrific mileage: average 40 mpg doing 70-75 on highways and often pushing it in town. Handling is fantastic: takes curves on the Taconic like a champ. Only quibble: mechanics. Several early problems, including a cylinder issue were covered by VW even well after warrantee expired. But no issues for over a year now.... In sum: I put on a lot of miles and I love that diesel!"

Great car goes bad after recall

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reason: Electrica problems after recall

Pros: "sharp looking, gets lots of compliments"

Cons: "Electrical problems after software recall."

"This is / was a great car until I got a recall notice. The recall was a software correction for the stability control, etc from my recolection. The car was flawless until that recall. I drove it back in the dealership repair. Before I even got off the lot, the Blue Tooth no longer worked, they had to reprogram it. Then, after leaving the lot I had trouble with the windows, sunroof and radio. I was so distraught, I didn't even take it back, I just lost money and traded it off with only 1590 miles on it! I've had problems with other cars (not VW) that took 6 or 7 tries and couldn't get fixed. I saw "my" car, I traded at KIA, a few months later at the VW lot. It only had 5,400 miles and now looking for another owner. I guess the new owner didn't like it either(still under warranty). Now, in all fairness, they car was perfect till then. Have any others had this experience?"

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next