2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Is a fantastic little willing machine.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "refined diesel engine."

Cons: "no rear camera, small roof window."

"I love the TDI engine the technology on this little critter is awesome not to mention the DSG transmission so fast like reading your mind, up shift and down shift electric fast. very nice in the city but is a little beast on country roads it likes to go fast and up hill is like a goat on steroid if that is possible and on freeways you really have to look at your speedometer fun to drive."

Best Car for the Price - Hands down

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "its just a sweet little car - for 20k"

Cons: "wish they did the free oil for more than 30k miles"

"This is the first Brand New care I have had – out of a long line of cars – Acura CL, Honda Civic( I put a Turbo in) Volvo S80, Buick Lasaber, Pontiac Grand AM—ect…. This is by far the best thing I did – have the 2.5 inline 5 (smooth power), with 5 speed, sun roof and cold weather package. It came with the 15 inch steel wheels (I put winter tires on) I got a nice set of 17’s from tire rack and it made a world of difference— almost as Fun as the GTI. It might not be as fast as my Acura 3.0 CL but it can hit a corner at 60 Mph that would barely feel safe at 40 with the Acura. Put the windows down and sunroof open on a nice day and you will forget you’re even headed to work – I look forward to the 60 mile round trip. If you drive like my mom it will get 28 city and 36 hwy – I get about 22 city and 28 Hwy --- I redline almost every red light and go 80+ on hwy… weaving through traffic is a breeze with this little monster… Will look to put a Turbo in it after Warrantee is up !!! "

Ultimate Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, low total cost of ownership"

Cons: "Wish it was AWD :-)"

"Blast to drive, 550 miles per tank, engine will last 200k+. With Dynaudio, sunroof, 4 doors, and an unbelievably smooth DSG transmission..... the car is almost too good to be true. Buy one and be referred to as the wisest car guy in the room."

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

Awesome Car!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

"I am so glad that I took the time to check out the 2012 Golf TDI. It is a fantastic car in so many ways. It is fun to drive, has plenty of power, comfortable (fits like a glove), is easy to maneuver and park, brakes work really well, gets great gas (diesel) mileage, looks great inside and out, more spacious than it looks from the outside, will last a very long time with the diesel engine, and the price is very reasonable for what you get. VW has done a great job on this car and I am thrilled to own it! I can't imagine ever buying an ugly prius when the great looking Golf TDI is available!"

Outstanding buy

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Low cost of ownership, great torque"

Cons: "FWD, speed tease"

"Ton of torque, can burn out or throw you back in your chair if you want it to. Put your foot into the pedal with no worry of fuel consumption. 40 mpg with a lead foot. Very light car yet capable for storage, fold down the rear seats and its like a mini truck. 4 door provides low insurance cost and unbelievably low cost of ownership. Drive 15,000 miles a year for $2,000(gas+insurance). Thats 13 cents per mile of FUN driving!"

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, trunk space, driving/power"

Cons: "Minimalist on interior but what is there well done"

"After relocating from living in a large city on the east coast (without a car) I needed to buy one for my job in California. I knew that I would have a long commute (80 miles roundtrip) and started looking at compact cars within my budget (not more than $19,000). I selected three based on their reviews on this website and others: honda civic, ford focus, and the vw golf. I decided on getting the golf because of the way it handles and drives (due to its engine). It was far superior than the other two vehicles. I appreciate gas economy but driving in LA traffic requires the occasional rapid acceleration/braking and this car delivers. The interior may not be luxurious but it has everything I need and is comfortable on a long drive. The MPG on the car is probably understated and I have found it to be wallet friendly even with the high local gas prices. I have the conv. package because I wanted the bluetooth phone connection. This technology works flawless with my iPhone and automatically connects to the phone anywhere in the car. I have a manual transmission so hands free calling is made easy with the selector button on the window wiper controller with this added feature. VW really thought long and hard on function, style, and comfort when they designed the car. They did not cut any corners and dollar for dollar I am glad I made this purchase and would do so again. The trunk space in the Golf is very large and if the back seat is folded down it has the same capacity as an SUV."

2013 VW Golf-Love <3

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Audio, Comfy interior, nice exterior, fun to drive"

Cons: "No standard USB :("

"I have the 2013 VW Golf in the blue metallic. I LOVE THIS CAR. I had a 2011 Honda Fit that I traded in for it, I loved that car too....until I drove this one. Bought this car got rid of the Honda and I have never looked back. They have practically thought of everything from the little LED lights that shine down on the shifter to the heated side view mirrors, to the climate controlled and lockable glovebox to the comfy seats with lumbar support. The media interface for the stereo is attractive and the speakers and audio sound are top notch. The AC and heat are awesome. The tiptronic transmission is awesome and this car is FUN to drive. I can almost keep up with my boyfriend who owns a GTI. Almost. I highly recommend this car! :)"

My seveth front wheel drive VW and by far the best

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Performance, comfort, economy, handling"

Cons: "few available options"

"The Golf sets the standard for compact cars. The 5 cylinder with six speed automatic is smooth, quiet and strong and for six thousand miles I have averaged 30.2 mpg. With little effort it will exceed the EPA estimates for combined mpg. The Golf's styling inside and out may be understated but quality and small thoughtful touches abound throughout the car. A temperature controlled and lockable glove compartment,full size 195/15 spare tire, additional under floor storage in luggage compartment, soft touch dash and door sills, lined storage compartments, etc. The traditional VW handling, steering and braking with superb highway ride and comfort. This is a car that grows on you and is a keeper."

Fun to drive with plenty of power, no regrets

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "sun roof, blue tooth, horse power, sound sys. ipod"

Cons: "small trunk, every else makes up for it."

"I was looking to replace my wifes work car 2011 nissan Versa, it was a base model cause we thought of cutting costs. No electronic windows or keyless entry.I would get so frustrated when i would open the door for her because i needed to open the drivers side first and then open hers from the inside. Also no electric windows felt like driving in the 1960s. When I looked at the 2011 Golf it was an excellent choice. All 4 automatic windows where standard and remote entry was a must. 17ys of marriage and love to open the door for my Baby. Makes it easier with the remote. The horse power does not compare against the Versa. The ride feels tight and solid, you can hardly feel the road in comparison with the versa you felt every bump on the road."

AWSOME CAR

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, awsome fuel mileage!"

Cons: "wish i had got the sunroof!"

"I purchased this car mostly for fuel mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work daily. I average about 45 MPG. On road trips i have noticed 51 MPG routinely. This is with the cruise control set at 70. The car is quite roomy, I have had 4 adults in the car and no complaints. I have loaded up the car for a weekend trip and had plenty of room. The car handles quite sporty, better then I had anticipated. This is a great car overall Why waste your extra money on a hybrid when Diesel is just as clean and you dont have batteries to dispose of? GREAT CAR!!"

I love this car!

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Great Quality. Fit and finish is excellent"

Cons: "No armrest on the Base Model."

"I have had mostly domestic cars for the past 20 years but this year I decided on the Golf. I loved the fit and finish of the car. It was so much better than the other cars I have owned. I have the base model and I get around 40mg on a trip, but not as well if I put my foot into it. I love the sound of the 2.5L 5 cyl. It reminds me of the Audi my parents owned and that I learned to drive on. The Audi was a great 5cyl engine too. With getting close to 40mg on trips, I don't see the need for the TDI which was much more expensive. The only thing I don't like is that I think the base model should come with an armrest. I am currently looking to buy one and install it. This car was a bit pricier than others I looked at but the quality and driving experience was well worth the money."

Severe problems

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"I purchased two 2-dr 2010 Golfs and have had problems with both of them, but significantly more with one in particular. Since the second month I had it, the driver's side window has leaked water inside the car. I took it in three times already for this problem and they still have not been able to fix it completely. It is now still leaking and has three water stains on the ceiling above the driver's side door. In addition, had trouble with brakes and pads and had to have them replaced at my cost. There is also black residue on the back hubcaps that seems to come from above the tires inside the body. This residue is VERY difficult to remove. No idea yet what it is."

I love my golf

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "economy, fun to drive, room for road trips"

Cons: "road trips with 4/5 people a little tight."

"I get much better mileage than that! a best of 50MPG, average of 39-42MPG back and forth to work 38-48 Highway MPG. I love this car."

Excellent all around

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Value, sporty, good on gas, great warranty"

Cons: "Not very pretty"

"Great motor. Now getting 29-34mpg!! (was a lot worse when newer). Had a bunch of warranty problems (upholstery, keys, electronics), and VW took care of all the items under warranty without batting an eye! AMAZING customer service!. And it is very comfortable: I am 6ft4.5 and I have PLENTY of legroom and headroon: VERY difficulto for me to find a truly comfortable small car."

Excellent car. Fun to drive. Great mileage.

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "High quality build in a fun package."

Cons: "No leather seats."

"I bought 2012 Golf TDI manual. Wanted a spirited fun car that got great mileage and could still carry people and guitars when necessary. This car is it! Plenty of go-power, superb handling, averaging over 40 mpg. Almost a sports car feel. Still fit an entire pa system and guitars. Two six-footers told me the back seat had plenty of room. Cabin is well done. Will need good snow tires next winter. I truly love this car. Plenty of tech, plenty of old fashioned fun. I recommend it if you want a hot hatch with super diesel mileage. Pay a few extra bucks. It's worth it."

German engineering and Driving performance

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"I have had four BMW's and am sold on German engineering and driving performance. My Golf gives me both at an unmatched value-for-the-money price."

good car for the price

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,good gas mileage"

Cons: "ride not as smooth as the mini"

"the gas mileage is good.acceleration is better than what some would expect out of a diesel.the usb cord could be longer,but i do like the fact that your ipod is hidden in the center armrest."

best VW yet - I've owned 5 of them

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "All of the above - comfort, performance and safety"

Cons: "Hatchback rear window is constantly dirty."

"The TDI is an exceptional vehicle from every aspect: performance, fuel economy, passenger comfort and HANDLING. Everything works perfectly - nothing to report at 'courtesy check'. Takes 4 passengers (3 on long road trips) in quiet , jewelry box-like interior. Running 38 mpg is mixed use - now that winter is here, diesel takes a long time (20 mins) to warm so fuel economy is down a bit. In warmer weather it was running in 40mpg range. From canyon carving to interstate cruising, handles like a classic BMW 3 series."

42 mpg hi-way, What else to say

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "quick, great handing, good sound system, 42MPG"

Cons: "Interior is a bit rough"

"Great Milage even with added cost of diesel. Fun to drive, very quick when the turbo spools up. Easy to maneuver in traffic. Sound system is awsome. Interior could be dressed up a bit."

Well built car for the money.

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "It makes me smile to drive it hard. Just a fun car"

Cons: "needs more storage in center console"

"Fantastic seats! Best all around driving car I have ever owned. I was originally looking at the TDI model, but didn't want to pay the extra 6 grand. This car has every safety feature of the most expensive cars on the road at the 17K pricepoint. I tested out just about every car in the 17 to 20K price range, and the VW was a real standout in every way. I'm 6'2 and 225 lbs. The cars in this price range were little with small uncomfortable seats. The Golf has large seats which are not too short to support your thighs. I would buy this car again."

Great handling and gas mileage!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Handling and gas milage"

Cons: "No leather seats"

"Exceptional value, handling, and gas mileage - average 36 mpg in town. Love the turbo!"

I LOVE this car

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "engine is a bit noisy"

"This car is so much fun to drive...lots of power, great handling, very responsive. Plus, it gets amazing gas mileage. Exactly what I wanted!"

These cars are designed for the German Autobahns!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "The TDI offers an excellent package!"

"With that said, I have to admit that my 2011 Golf TDI hangs with the best on the German highways. You may think that the autobahns are flat open roads, but in reality compare them to the interstate system in PA. I can go into a hill (speed between 80-90 mph) loaded with passengers and with the air conditioner on, up the hill, and get to the top of the hill without pulling it out of sixth gear; couldn't say that about my Honda Accord. The 2.0 liter turbo matched with the 6 speed manual gear box is a very powerful and economic vehicle that does very well in all driving conditions and environments. The upgrade from it's gasoline companion is well worth the three thousand dollar differnce, not only in fuel economy, but the overall packet in general. Just to name a few... sport suspension, alloy 17" wheels, premium sound system, multi-function steering wheel, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The car is larger than its visual appearance, but still ideal for small roads and tight parking. Don't let the fact of it being a diesel scare you; it's quiet, vibration-less, and produces ultra-low emmissions. My tailpipe looks as clean as when I first bought the car and the car behind me can tell I have a diesel only by looking at the emblem on the rear hatch. I would recommend opting for xenon headlights if you plan on driving very fast at night."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next