2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 74 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

The Golf TDi is a fantastic car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great Highway MPG, torque, fun!"

Cons: "Not for Toyota Camry drivers"

"I have loved VW Golfs for quite a while now and I have had the privilege to own two of them, a MkIV (2002 gas) and my current MkVI (2011 TDi). The MkVI is a very comfortable and agile car that makes driving fun while sipping diesel. This car excels on the highway, returning 44-45 MPG on long trips. Tons of torque is available at low RPMs, so if you encounter a steep hill, just drop it into 3rd or 4th and it powers up the incline like it's not even there. If you are a city driver, this might not be the car for you if you're mainly looking for high MPGs. It's probably better to go with a Prius or other hybrid or even an electric Leaf since those cars excel in town, but you will have more fun with the Golf. The Golf is also one of the best looking cars on the road under $30k, classic with well defined lines and curves. No crazy bubbles, swoopes or oversized grilles. Plus, at 31k miles, I have had zero problems with this vehicle, which is to be expected. Ultimately, the Golf is a drivers car; so if you enjoy driving and think of it as more than just getting from point A to point B, you will really appreciate this car."

I loved this car!!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great value, super fun to drive"

Cons: "Would have preferred 8 way adjustable seat."

"Great car. Never once stuck in the worst winter of my life even when 4WD cars couldnt make it up the hilly roads. Super comfortable and totally 100% reliable all of the time."

Dull, dull and brilliantly dull

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Dull, but brilliantly so"

Cons: "Dull, but that's the biggest con I can think of."

"The Golf 2.5 Base is my wife's car. It replaced her 12 year old Miata. Everything about this car is sensible or reasonable or both. Dependable, predictable, solid, reasonably economical, sensible price, sensible size, reasonably comfortable, reasonable stereo, reasonable servicing costs, reasonable looks, better than reasonable built quality. Reasonable performance if you can be bothered to go and find it. Just does everything it says in the brochure without any fuss or excitement. She hates buttons and it has the minimum. For example, Lights: on or off. That's it, 2 positions. She hates complexity, and there isn't any. Absolute wysiwyg,(the car and her) and she loves it. Dull but brilliantly so (only the car this time - not her). Probably everything she looked for in her spouse, and at least the car came through."

I love driving this car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Torque! MPG! Handling!"

Cons: "Cup holders suck."

"Kickass torque! Terrific mileage: average 40 mpg doing 70-75 on highways and often pushing it in town. Handling is fantastic: takes curves on the Taconic like a champ. Only quibble: mechanics. Several early problems, including a cylinder issue were covered by VW even well after warrantee expired. But no issues for over a year now.... In sum: I put on a lot of miles and I love that diesel!"

Great Diesel Sipper

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Fuel up less often, lots of power."

Cons: "Price too high, Blue motion not available in USA"

"Compared to other cars I have driven among a fleet of cars, the handling of the 2011 VW Golf TDi is sporty and loads of fun to drive. As a daily driver in-town the MPG is not as high as hybrid but you will be passing those hybrids on the road. Out on the highway is where the fuel economy kicks in. It lost only one point for reliability because it required road-side assistance to jump the car 3 times, which was covered under warranty for the first 3yrs/36K miles which was all due to a faulty battery. Related to quality after service was conducted to replace a faulty cruise control switch the horn was put back in improperly. It is really embarrassing having your car involuntarily honk. The dealer rapidly repaired the issue and provided a loaner during the process. The interior surfaces are firm but the seats are a bit rough to the touch and could be softened up a bit. The road noise was a bit more than I'd like for a VW. Only thing related to convenience is the service location is rather far away and requires taking off during the work week for anything more than an oil change. More dealerships would be nice. The interior finishes are great but the seats are rough to the touch. I would have rather had leatherette as an option in this car. I do love this car!"

Great commuter and highway cruiser

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, great on local 2-lane roads"

Cons: "Nearest dealer 50 miles away"

"Really a great little car. I've put 70,000 miles on mine and only had a check engine light come on once for a faulty oxygen sensor. Can consistently returns 35+mpg in town and 40-45 on the highway depending on how heavy your right foot is. Comfortable, quiet, and pretty good room all things considered."

Expensive car to own long term.

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Solid body, great handling, loads of torque."

Cons: "Engine explodes"

"97,000 meticulously maintained miles. Turbo failed pumping engine oil into intake and exhaust systems. $4000.00 and counting. Wheel bearing failed at 80,000. The repair costs are 50% of what the car is currently worth. I have a timing belt due for replacement-$1000.00 dealer cost. Three of my co workers drive VW Diesels. All have had a catastrophic engine event. My first and last VW."

Rented one and fell in love

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Great economy and fun to drive"

Cons: "I need to lose 20 lbs to be really comfortable"

"I rented a 2012 Golf TDI in Europe and fell in love with it. When I returned to the US, I bought one six months later, same car, same color, same six speed. I've had it for two years and still love it!"

Great Value

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "German engineered, fun, practical"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"I bought this car new in 11/13 and have 3400 miles. So far the car, despite it's size, has proven to be very capable. We use it as a daily driver, mostly in town (2 mile commute) and it is getting about 23-24 city. We have had the occasion to take a couple of extended trips and can get 30-31 highway with the cruise and "speed limit" (V1 radar detector is always on). Went to Palm Springs loaded with 2 sets of golf clubs w/pull carts intact, luggage, cooler and had plenty of room with the rear seats folded down. The tiptronic transmission is flawless and is actually the mode of choice in our driving patterns. No, the 2.5L isn't the most powerful engine, but has proven itself to be more than adequate. Body integrity, driving comfort, handling, reliability are all consistent with German engineering expectations. There is a reason it's the #1 selling car in Europe. The Golf offers heated seats and a sunroof which were MUST HAVEs for my wife. All in all one of the best cars I have owned."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "small"

"It was my very first car I bought myself and also learned to drive standard. I couldn't ask for a better and more reliable car myself. It is great that the dealership does all maintenance for me and its free!"

This is a Golf I'm proud of!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Torgue, MPG, FUN to drive, Styling."

Cons: "Price, GPS-screen elec NO realtime traffic/Pandora"

"I've had many VW's in my life, including 4 Jetta's, 3 bugs, an old school van and a 4Motion Passat, yet this is my 3rd Golf. I had a 1999 Golf TDI, and a 2005 GTI. Both were fun and nice to drive. Yet the new 2012 style, look, and overall quality is awesome! I'm not so much of fan of the GPS, as it is missing real time traffic and voice commands. To only have Sirius XM radio offered and NO Pandora or other FREE streams is SAD. Overall, this car RULES for MPG, torgue, looks, and styling it's a winner. Pricey overall, yet well worth the investment IF the longevity lasts as most diesels do. I'm shooting for the 1 million mile mark, after all I did get 500,000 miles out of my 1999 Golf diesel before selling it. Just get a Mark 6 instead of a 7 cause they're made in Germany."

best car for the money

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sporty, practical, best MPG"

Cons: "more expensive, warranty could be better"

"While the TDI version of the Golf is more expensive it is SO worth it! I get 39 MPG on average and can reach MPGs of 45-50 on the highway! I can drive a round trip from Seattle to Spokane on one tank of diesel easily. The interior is flawless and beautiful, super well done. I can play my iphone through the bluetooth option, no plug in required, yet still have the option of USB if needed. Touch screen is so fun. The seats are comfortable and sporty. It drives so well, and with a six speed really has some get up and go! My seats fold down for maximum storage and are easy to operate. Safety is in the top of its class with multiple airbags. Having the four door option is great for my passengers and my future children/getting car seats in and out. I just wouldn't choose any other car! I love my Golf! Its practical and hold its value unlike any other hatchback"

best small car!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, reliability"

"Excellent car, sturdy, reliable, love them so much we have two! best value of any small car!"

I have never loved a car like this before;

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "a fun car to drive; still love it with 80,000 mile"

Cons: "DRL can be a problem when asked to turn off"

"Its my everything; very reliable; 43-50 miles to the gallon, Hugs the road; can move; I just love it!!!!"

Great Car!

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Performance, Gas Mileage, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Don't love the electronics (stereo, bluetooth,etc)"

"I have been wanting some form of TDI since 2009 but was always apprehensive to buy a diesel due to the thought process of old school loud, smelly, slow diesel cars of the past. I started doing some research and what convinced me was a couple of road test reviews on Youtube. The build quality of this car is just like a typical German high end product. Solid as a tank. As for the drive this car moves! The torque is amazing I can pass cars with ease even high performance sports cars! Oh and by the way I do this and I still average close to 40 mpg in mixed mostly city driving. Yes diesel gas cost more per gallon than regular gas but think of the extra mpg and fun you get to have with this car! I have owned dozens of cars in my lifetime and this is one of my favorites! I highly recommend any VW/Audi TDI."

Best bang for your buck

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Best German car you can get for ya moneys worth."

Cons: "Air conditioner a bit noisy but overall its great."

"Where else can you buy awesome handling 4 wheel drive vehicle. It can move wide large objects and can handle like a charm in any weather. On top of it all it has the latest technology and does not have that cheap look and feel that the competition offers."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Really handles well"

Cons: "No center armrest or center starage"

"I still look forward to driving it every day after 3 1/2 years!"

great car

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "bluetooth it is horrible sound"

"the only thing I hate in this car is Bluetooth ,it is horrible sound!!!!!"

Alot of fun for the money!

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "power, acceleration, great mpg,"

Cons: "needs all digital gauges, needs standard HIDs"

"I have the 4 door tdi model. It has plenty of power to zoom thru mountain curves and hills. I get around 37 mpg around town with several redlights/stops. This car is economic and will make you feel youthful behind the wheel. Steering is very responsive and acceleration is superb! The interior is quiet and comfy for racing buckets up front. Interior has an upgraded feel compared to a civic or impreza. Does really well ion the hwy for a short wheel base vehicle. Love the car and always makes me smile on a curvy road!"

Expensive to maintain but solid car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"I bought my 2010 VW Golf TDI used with 79K already on it. I put roughly 30K miles a year on my vehicle so I needed something that was reliable and got good gas mileage, which is why I decided to take the diesel plunge. Pros and cons. Pros, with a manual 6spd I get about 45mpg and just over 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank. At 140 hp I get 236 ft. lbs. of torgue...nice! This car is easy to drive, handles well and has all the bells and whistles I need to be comfortable. Also, diesels are notorious for getting very high miles before giving out. I'm hoping for at least 400K but only time will tell. Cons, VW's (especially diesels) are expensive to maintain. Newer VW TDI's require 507 (rated) 5W/30 oil that costs about $9-10 a quart, ouch! Glow plugs are about $90 a piece if you order them on line. Also, these diesels are ULEV so they pass emissions in all 50 states. Only draw back to this is that in order to accomplish this the emissions system is fairly elaborate and has been my biggest maintenance headache so far. So in short, this is a very solid car and I hope to drive it for years to come but be prepared to dole out some $$$ from time to time to keep it in shape. If you get one from a dealer don't be afraid to haggle for an extended warranty even if you have to pay for it. In my opinion VW is not well known for great customer service unless you're already "covered" by warranty."

A case of Serendipity

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Solid highway driving, good mpg, handles well"

Cons: "A little slow off the line, engine growls"

"My VW Golf TDI is remarkably comfortable and fast for me as it turns in great mpg in mixed city/highway driving. As I am 6'3", I enjoy the novel headroom and I enjoy the little things I find it does for me without telling me. For instance, I found the excellent night vision was enhanced when I make a turn because the fog lights turn on to illuminate the side the car is going to. I also like finding the radio interacting with my cell phone, even if the phone is in the trunk or back seat. What I find a little odd is the momentary slowness off the line in regular driving. The car needs to be moving for the turbo to kick in or one can switch to the "S" driving mode for the car to kick in instantly. Be warned, the "S" (for sport driving) is no friend of good gas mileage and will make the good numbers disappear, if used regularly. "S" makes the car dig in for ferocious torque and high rpm's. As for the space, the TDI is okay for putting people in the back, but it does look like a clown car when I load up with furniture. The other small thing is the engine growl of the diesel kind. I jokingly parked it next to a cow field in South Carolina and then turned it on. The cows looked at me for a moment, but were not scared as if a lion was nearby. Overall, I like the Golf TDI very much for getting around the city as it has a quiet and comfortable look to it. While it is more expensive than many cars in its league, I believe the car will show more of its value in the long run, and long after its competitors have been traded in or scrapped."

Is a fantastic little willing machine.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "refined diesel engine."

Cons: "no rear camera, small roof window."

"I love the TDI engine the technology on this little critter is awesome not to mention the DSG transmission so fast like reading your mind, up shift and down shift electric fast. very nice in the city but is a little beast on country roads it likes to go fast and up hill is like a goat on steroid if that is possible and on freeways you really have to look at your speedometer fun to drive."

Best Car for the Price - Hands down

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "its just a sweet little car - for 20k"

Cons: "wish they did the free oil for more than 30k miles"

"This is the first Brand New care I have had – out of a long line of cars – Acura CL, Honda Civic( I put a Turbo in) Volvo S80, Buick Lasaber, Pontiac Grand AM—ect…. This is by far the best thing I did – have the 2.5 inline 5 (smooth power), with 5 speed, sun roof and cold weather package. It came with the 15 inch steel wheels (I put winter tires on) I got a nice set of 17’s from tire rack and it made a world of difference— almost as Fun as the GTI. It might not be as fast as my Acura 3.0 CL but it can hit a corner at 60 Mph that would barely feel safe at 40 with the Acura. Put the windows down and sunroof open on a nice day and you will forget you’re even headed to work – I look forward to the 60 mile round trip. If you drive like my mom it will get 28 city and 36 hwy – I get about 22 city and 28 Hwy --- I redline almost every red light and go 80+ on hwy… weaving through traffic is a breeze with this little monster… Will look to put a Turbo in it after Warrantee is up !!! "

Ultimate Daily Driver

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, low total cost of ownership"

Cons: "Wish it was AWD :-)"

"Blast to drive, 550 miles per tank, engine will last 200k+. With Dynaudio, sunroof, 4 doors, and an unbelievably smooth DSG transmission..... the car is almost too good to be true. Buy one and be referred to as the wisest car guy in the room."

TDI = High quality, great mileage & power

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Big torque down low, unbelievable mileage, fun"

Cons: "Service on a diesel costs more than gas"

"I bought a TDI 6-speed Manuel 4-door for 24,000 inc. extra rubber mats and window tinting . This car amazes me every time I drive it because of the power (236 lbs torque at 1750-2500 rpm) available and the milage it is getting. Rated at 30 city and 40 hwy, I am getting about 35 city and 46+ hwy. Ex: I set cruise control at 70 MPH today and it indicated 46 MPG. I didn't really buy his car to be a hyper miler, but I find myself trying to improve my average mileage. Compared to my Honda Si, this car is by far a better daily driver. Although the SI had 200 Hp, I had to rev to 7000 rpm to use it. Who drives at 7000 rpm daily? The TDI has a lot more torque, and torque is what makes this car feel fast. Interior is high quality. The drivers info display is full of useful pages. The 8 speaker stereo gets high approval from my teenager. The DSG was cool, but I went with the six speed and love it. It just doesn't seem possible to have so much power and such great mileage."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next