2006 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

VW = FUN

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holders"

"There is something special about a Volkswagen, they drive like nothing else on the road. The handling of this car is no exception, it sticks to the road like glue and goes exactly where you point it. The Golf can be either sporty or economic and a little bit of both. I get about 30mpg on average with the 2.0L automatic, and other then some normal expected issues the car is very reliable. We've taken it on long trips with no issues. If I could afford a new one, I'd buy it... but even buying a used one has been a great experience."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

I love my Golf

By on Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I bought my Golf new and have put almost 90,000 miles on it in ten years of mixed city and highway driving. It has had very few problems along the way and always gets a clean bill of health at oil changes and tune-ups. Like other VWs I've owned, it came with far more standard features than comparably-priced Toyotas, Hondas, etc., with the additional benefit of being great fun to drive. It's peppy, goes from zero to 60 without even blinking, and handles like a much more expensive car. The fuel economy isn't great--I get about 23-24 miles in city driving and less than 30 on the highway--but it's acceptable. My only complaint is that the interior hasn't held up all that well: the straps on the hatch cover broke; the back seat no longer locks in the normal position; the knob for the side-view mirror adjustment broke long ago, so mirrors have to be adjusted manually. But those minor complaints aside, my Golf has been a joy to drive."

the art of German engineering!

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Until I got my 2002 Golf, my favorite car had been my 82 Honda Accord hatchback, but this has outdone that car! Almost as reliable (but not quite), and endless fun to drive, handles wonderfully, stable, holds corners and curves to give a thrill to driving. Up to 112,000 miles now, and my Golf still runs like a much newer car, is still stylish and fresh looking, although gas mileage has dropped 4-5 mpg with age. I keep up with all scheduled maintenance at VW dealer (a bit pricey), but it seems worth it, since the car is running so well. I love that it runs like a peppy, sporty car, is very responsive, yet hauls all sorts of large objects, e.g. camping gear, two bikes inside, or even a dishwasher, and fits in tight city parking spaces easily. Minor annoyances are plastic parts that break off, not being able to change a headlight without taking to the dealer, and the frequency with which rear lights burn out-at least I can get to them to change them myself! Love the Golf, would highly recommend it to others. Works great as an only car for two person household, but my friends love me to swap with them if I need to borrow a minivan or truck to move really big stuff, or take 6 or 7 folks somewhere!"

Worst seat material ever

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Purchased car new, covered 58,000 miles in 5 years, Handling very good, average 33 mpg overall, best was 42 mpg in hot weather. Rear brake pads wear out twice as fast as fronts there is no warning light for the rear pads, only the front. My model had cloth seats without a doubt the worst material ever (a static magnet for dust and cat hair) High sulphur diesel fuel presents a major problem of carbon build-up in the turbo, only recently can you buy low sulphur fuel here in USA. Strong engine the best ever traction in snow. Twice the car was towed into VW dealer because it wouldn't start in zero degees. Tires only 60% worn after 58,000 miles. The AC unit is pushed to the limits in mid 90 degree weather."