2005 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Great mileage!

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"I've never gotten less than 42mpg in my Golf TDI...and that's in town! I've owned it for 3yrs now, and so far, so good on the electricals and integrity, but I've heard some horrow stories. I only have 17,000 miles on it, so we'll see. The performance leaves a bit to be desired, but with the max torque being produced at 1800rpm, downshifting is never a necessity. I can cruise around at 35mph in 5th gear with no problems. It's a small car and although roomy for a small hatchback, the backseat is almost useless for people. If you have kids, only 1 seat will realistically fit in the back (in the middle) and it's a pain to get them in/out. We always use my wife's minivan to go anywhere, even though it gets less than half the mileage. Overall, a satisfying car with unbeatable gas mileage. I hope my good luck with reliablility continues. If not, the resale value (due to gas prices I assume) is almost what I paid for it!"

150,000 and strong

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"bought the car new in '03'. replaced only the water pump and a battery. lacks horsepower but the gas mileage makes up for it. sounds great with intake on it and looks fantastic after 4 years. i would recommend a vw to anyone looking to buy a new car."

Good enough car, but should be better

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Nice small hatchback. Looks great, especially the interior finish ... as good as an Audi. Had several warranty issues, so a bit annoying. One warranty issue led to premature break replacement at my own cost after warranty expired. Needs more power (the '07 Rabbit should have this problem fixed). Seems to hold its value well. I just hope that the electronics don't start failing me. So far, so good. Fingers crossed."

Awesome Car

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"This car is awesome. Super fast and a blast to drive. Test drive one and you'll buy it. I've owned mine since 50k and is now at 80k with no problems. Definately suggest this car to anyone interested in it."

Two owner vehicle just had a major service

By on Sunday, August 23, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy with performance"

Cons: "Higher mileage but in very good condition no rust"

"Just had major service performed Timing belt and tensioner serpentine belt and tensioner"

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Absolutly love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"I have been a chevy man for the last 6 years then i started looking in to vw cause of the gas milage they get i dont think i will ever get away from the vw line of cars there great for different types of people there still easy to work on not to expencive to repair and they are easy to get aftermarket parts for"

LOVE my car!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, reliable car!"

Cons: "No heated seats. Not fancy looking. Big deal!"

"I have been driving this car for almost 7 years, and I absolutely love it. I just dropped it off for routine maintenance, and driving a 2012 Nissan has me missing my baby like crazy. It's 11 years old now, but has never left me stranded on the side of the road, has never had anything under the hood go out, hugs the road like crazy (I commute over California's notorious, winding Highway 17 daily) with the body of the GTI racecar, gets 40-45 miles per gallon, and is just the best car ever. People keep asking when I plan to upgrade to a newer car... I tell them when my car finally dies - considering most of these cars get 300-500,000 miles and I'm at 146,000, providing I don't get in an accident, it will be a while. The best car ever. When it is time to say goodbye, I will be so upset!"

You can't beat a TDI for fuel economy

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "drives well, plenty of space for small car, 49MPG"

Cons: "Interior plastic falls apart after a few years"

"49 miles per gallon on diesel and US Specs. This car goes over 100 MPH on the autobahn. After 10 years and 135000 miles it still drives smooth. The torque of the TDI engine makes all the difference. Forget about horsepower unless you are racing. Plenty of interior room. Plenty of trunk space. The only problems we had were: 1. replaced the water pump at 100,000, transmission and clutch at 130,000 miles. The only thing I don't like about the car is that the interior plastic parts got brittle after 5 years in the florida sun and the break easily. GLove box handle, parking break button, and center console all broken. But the car is like a tank. It just keeps going and getting great efficiency. Drives great!"

Not a VW fan, but this is a great car!

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Decent power, ~42MPG, roomy, Power everything."

Cons: "Cup holders, timing belt, lug bolts."

"I bought this car with two things in mind: fuel economy, transportation. Seems reasonable, right? I was recommended this car by a fellow mechanic friend who has one and I bought this particular one seven months prior to me writing this review. Since initial purchase ($3k) and working out of minor things a car with 261k miles would need (wheel bearing $50, 4 Springs $200, timing belt $300, turbo $400 I do my own work) I have had no complaints. I'm at 276k now, on my second oil change ($45 lubro-moly and filter done every 10k if you do it yourself) I know my car is reliable for a very long time. If you live in a northern "salt belt" state, the body doesn't rust, maybe a front fender. For 16,000 miles in travel I've done in 7 months, it has costed me $1,416 in fuel @ an average $4.01 a gallon for diesel. At 42 mpg, it costs me $.10 a mile to travel the 63 miles I travel almost everyday. I know people who spend $1400 in 2 months for less miles traveled. If I had to go to Florida in a weekend with a friend, I would take this car. It is comfortable, automatic windows are sweet, hit the button once, window is up or down. Radio is loud and clear, could use an Aux input. Cruise control is nice. Only has the "diesel smell" when it initially start from cold and is gone as soon as you get in the car. If you don't like the smell, don't stand next to the exhaust pipe while you let your car warm up. I like the mechanical sounds, if you don't, they're not noticeable inside the car. Has decent power, you won't be praying to the "horsepower gods" when facing an interstate on-ramp. Handles great, tank in snow. I'm 6'6" and i'm comfortable, seat still has room to go back. Interior is VERY adjustable and easy to clean, even for tan. Cons: Lug bolts, need 3 hands to put wheel on. Timing belt will only last 80k, less if you are looking into an automatic. Cup holders gladly dump drinks on heavy accelerations and will proudly fill your vents and radio front, make hazards flasher switch sticky with drink splash. Hand brake placed UNDER arm rest. Finding a used golf with a broken arm rest lid, slight tear on backrest of seat are not uncommon. Trunk lid may have problems with wiring causing wiper to work intermittently and some water gets in from the tail light, not enough to mold, but noticeable dampness. That's it."