2005 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 273 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "suspension too soft, quality of the interior"

"The car is fun to drive and handles well. The GL model has a softly sprung suspension and it does not do well over roads with pot holes. The gas mileage is good, I seldom have to fill it up. I had to replace the cooling fan and coolant sensor as well as the front strut mounts and left front wheel bearing. Other than that, I've had no other problems. The cooling fan seems to be a common problem based on other reviews that I've read. The beige interior is hard to keep clean and the fabric is pulling away from the front door panels and the head liner is starting to pull away in the front. The estimate for a new headliner and to re upholster the door panels is $300. The battery fails without warning consistently every 4 years as I am on the third battery."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

VW = FUN

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holders"

"There is something special about a Volkswagen, they drive like nothing else on the road. The handling of this car is no exception, it sticks to the road like glue and goes exactly where you point it. The Golf can be either sporty or economic and a little bit of both. I get about 30mpg on average with the 2.0L automatic, and other then some normal expected issues the car is very reliable. We've taken it on long trips with no issues. If I could afford a new one, I'd buy it... but even buying a used one has been a great experience."

Worst seat material ever

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Purchased car new, covered 58,000 miles in 5 years, Handling very good, average 33 mpg overall, best was 42 mpg in hot weather. Rear brake pads wear out twice as fast as fronts there is no warning light for the rear pads, only the front. My model had cloth seats without a doubt the worst material ever (a static magnet for dust and cat hair) High sulphur diesel fuel presents a major problem of carbon build-up in the turbo, only recently can you buy low sulphur fuel here in USA. Strong engine the best ever traction in snow. Twice the car was towed into VW dealer because it wouldn't start in zero degees. Tires only 60% worn after 58,000 miles. The AC unit is pushed to the limits in mid 90 degree weather."