2005 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 267 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "suspension too soft, quality of the interior"

"The car is fun to drive and handles well. The GL model has a softly sprung suspension and it does not do well over roads with pot holes. The gas mileage is good, I seldom have to fill it up. I had to replace the cooling fan and coolant sensor as well as the front strut mounts and left front wheel bearing. Other than that, I've had no other problems. The cooling fan seems to be a common problem based on other reviews that I've read. The beige interior is hard to keep clean and the fabric is pulling away from the front door panels and the head liner is starting to pull away in the front. The estimate for a new headliner and to re upholster the door panels is $300. The battery fails without warning consistently every 4 years as I am on the third battery."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

It is what it is...

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, agile handling, styling is unique."

Cons: "poor electrics/electronics. buttons are cheap"

"On the plus side, the car is lots of fun to drive and it's very agile. Parts are relitively inexpensive and repairs are fairly straight forward. The car has plenty of power for interstate driving, visibility is good all round. Fit and finish are above average. The electrics/electronics are clunky, and troublesome. Headlamps are only barely acceptable for night driving. Fuel economy is 23mpg average. I like and dislike the car at the same time, so overall, I think it's an OK vehicle, but not sure if I'd buy another vw anytime soon. I bought the car used and use it for commuting only."

Best Investestment i ever made!

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Pros: "MPG's, comfert and reliability"

Cons: "can be hard to find some one to work on it"

"I BOUGHT THE TDI NEW IN 2002 AND STILL ENJOY DRIVING IT."

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Drives well, European interiors, compact"

Cons: "No arm rest, poor gas consumption"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and I am still driving it daily after almost 9 years. The car drives well, takes regular gasoline, and has been fairly inexpensive to keep running. I still get lots of compliments on its looks. Its a fun car to drive and zips around well."