2005 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Warm ride

By on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Great car. Heated seats are fantastic, work very well. Starts up well, even in coldest conditions in northern New England. Best mileage achieved thus far 52. Average 42- 45. Could have a bit more room in back for adult seating, but for small family this car works well. Plenty of stow room in trunk. Rear seats fold flat and go up and down easily. Great road feel, plenty of pick up. Great lomg term traveller. Don't like the lack of warning when lights are left on. Overall a great value and a very reliable car. Highly recommended car, strong diesel performer."

Reliable, Comfortable, and Fun

By on Monday, November 22, 2010

"This vehicle runs well and looks great. It's easy to drive and people always complement on it and say how nice it looks. Comfy to ride and and drive. I drove mine over 200,000 miles and with routine maintenance it lasted well beyond my mechanics estimations."

Great Mileage

By on Sunday, January 03, 2010

"I have a 2003 GLS TDI with 186,000 mils on it. I just completed a mileage check and got 43 mpg driving in town and 54mpg on a long run. Little things keep going wrong and the parts are very expensive, more than the Mercedes i have. Other than that the car is fun to drive and the 1.9L turbo diesel has great torque so you can keep up with traffic, not like the early VW diesels where acceleration was poor and black smoke followed you!!"

2002 Golf TDI

By on Thursday, August 06, 2009

"This car was purchased new in 2001. I've put on 120,000 with only one problem, a clogged fuel filter. There is NO way I can complain about that since it was my fault it wasn't changed. There are 2 filters, I was unaware of the 2nd. The car feels very solid, shifts like a dream and is fun to drive. The car is 3000 lbs which is good to drive thru snow too. AND ...I regularly get over 50 mpg and have gotten many tanks with 58 mpg... and I'm a heavy footed driver doing jack rabbit starts etc. I wish everyone drove this car!"

Too much trouble

By on Monday, July 20, 2009

"I purchased my 1999 Volkswagen Golf in 2000. So far, I have had both the side trim and the piece that holds in the license plate simply deteriorate and fall off as well as about 3 of the hubcaps over the years. The muffler and heat shield had to be replaced within my first year owning it. I have replaced the ignition, wheel bearings and numerous other little things over the years. I have put $1500 into it in the last 6 months alone and it still needs a new throttle body. I have heard good things about the Golf. Maybe '99 just wasn't a good year. Maybe its just this individual car... Fun to drive when it was still only a few years old. Now its just an albatross."

By on Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Full of electrical problems and other things. the second my car hit 50,000 miles is turned on me. I hate it and will never buy another VW again."

4 water pumps

By on Saturday, May 02, 2009

"I've put 3 water pumps in this car since i bought it with 40k miles. Something breaks costing roughly 600 dollars every 2-3 months.(ECU,sensors,waterpump,belts) I will never buy a vw or audi again."

2000 golf TDI

By on Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Well loved styling and performance. living in the cold though vehicle will not warm up unless driven. Plagued by electrical problems ..8 dealer visists for drivers airbag light never fixed. rear disc brake decided to lock on and eat itself rotor caliper and all. silly expensive timing belt change price and schedual. rear tail light bulbs on driver side burn out every 3 or 4 thousand miles (hint change oil and bulbs). turbo went at 68000 miles convient for warrenty purposes(sarcasism). when new drove in a winter storm ..handled very well untill the airintake froze over and whole intake manifold gummed up. overall wanted to love the car but unless ur independantly weathy type who just send car to dealer and use platinum/gold card and never look at bill never ever buy this car. VW has horrible national support as they couldnt care less about the dealers and the dealers will make you pay instead of trying to get VW to cover anything. PLEASE Heed the bad reviews!!!!!!!!"

Fantastic!

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"Don't believe everything you hear about VW reliability. Most of those ratings are for car reliability in the first 3 months. This is by far the most solid and reliable car I have ever owned (at 97K, so far). I bought it on the recommendation of a friend, who owned his 1986 Golf for 12 years, without problems. You can drive these cars well past 175K with ease!"

So much fun!

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"Love my 2001 golf! So fun to drive, and looks great too. The body style is so classic people can't tell what year it is, especially when you stick to the basic colors not something trendy. Gas mileage is good. Easy to park and feels real solid to drive. Not like a lightweight honda or toyota. Lots of head room and leg room an plenty of room in the hatch back for groceries & stuff. I had a rack put on mine for ski stuff. there's nothing like a German car. Get one!"

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"I HAVE THIS CAR NOW FOR 116.000 THOUSAND MILES. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT OTHER THE THE LIGHT BULBS WHICH SEEM S TO BE A PROBLEM WITH VW. VERY HAPPY WITH IT."

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I reviewed my car recently here, but just thought I'd post an update...I noticed that some people have posted about the lights going out, and I wanted to ditto that, I just had to replace the driver side headlight and running light, it's only a 2004 but I have had to replace all of the lights. It's not expensive, just annoying (in light of repair costs with my previous car, a 1994 Mazda 626, not a problem). My doors freeze shut when it snows or there is freezing rain too (have had to get in through my trunk before). I don't know if anyone else has had this problem too, but it's annoying if you live in a colder climate...and if you open your door if there is any precipitation it lands right on the driver seat...embarassing, little things a girl would notice! If I lived someplace warmer I wouldn't trade it in, it's great and economical, but I am looking to upgrade to an AWD, now if only I could afford a Toureg..."

Wonderful Car

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Drove my daughter back to college in her's from Upstate NY to NC. Love it so much I bought one for myself. I've got 63K and it's been wonderful. At 6'2' no problems with comfort and in&out. Handles winters with ease, love the ABS , 30+MPG and room for stuff! Great sound system, A/C a little light but I'm in upstate NY no big deal."

Awesome Ride

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I've had my 2001 VW Golf for over 1 1/2 years. Bought it with 39,000miles and just hitting 54K now. Not one issue. I've spent a bit moding it though, but who couldn't with an awesome car like this. Perfect for anyone! Plus you can do just about anything to these motors and they'll still run like a champ. I love VW!!"

Best Car I have owned.

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"The Golf TDI has excellent handling traits, very good acceleration, is comfortable for me at 6' 250 lbs and.... GETS 45 MPG! That is combined city and highway real life millage. The audio system is first rate. The 1.9L diesel engine is proven technology with a large base of users in Europe. I have had no difficulty with it and don't expect any. If you want durable, economical, comfortable, functional transportation you should give the Golf TDI every consideration."

Let down

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have 120,000 miles on my 2000 Golf. It has never broken down or stalled on me but has had some malfunctions (some expensive-transimission, power steering...) that HAD to be repaired in order to keep the car safely driveable. A minor issue I have with my vehicle is the interior finish. The dash is gorgeous & looks new but the material used around the fixtures/buttons/door handles is some kind of soft plastic? that scratches/chips away easily and leaves an UGLY look. On the plus side, I really like the handling and performance. I still find the car fun to drive."

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Would never recommend a VW to anybody. If you want a reliable car, drive a Toyota. Even my mechanic says VWs are not that great and have a tendency to break down after 4-5 years."

Good car for its day and class.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value at the time."

"Simple styling reasonable performance and reliability. That pretty much sums up my experience with the 04 Golf. Purchased certified pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles, now have 75,000 with only routine maintenance cost since purchased."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good value for the money"

Cons: "Not enough storage space"

"The little things that Volkswagen has done to this car makes this a great value, such as the Telescoping steering wheel and center sun visor. My one complaint is there is no storage in the vehicle. NO center console and minimal compartments, and the trunk is to small to fit my golf clubs without lowering the back seat"

Ready to buy my third TDI Golf

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, peppy acceleration for a small car."

Cons: "Cold starts (less than -10F) a bit iffy."

"This is my second TDI Golf. I bought my first one new in 2000. It was a 2D base model. I drove it for almost 250,000 miles with nothing but standard maintenance. The car still ran beautifully, but the body was showing some rust. The mileage is phenomenal. I averaged 46 mpg, but I do a lot of freeway driving. My second TDI was bought used. It has a lot more bells and whistles, but has been a trooper for 171,000 miles. I find VWs to be well designed from the inside out. Very comfortable seats; simple, intuitive dash controls; very peppy ride. The torque on a diesel is amazing. I will likely buy a third Golf TDI, although I'm toying with getting a Paasat TDI wagon."

a spendy little lemon.

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Zippy turbo, fun to drive"

Cons: "expensive and unreliable."

"I'm not too satisfied with this car. If you've ever owned a old air cooled VW you know they are quirky.. well the apples don't fall far from the tree and this apple isn't cheap!! This car has had some problems that could have been avoided all together if they would have just made quality components.. I like the concept of the 1.9 tdi engine and cam driven fuel injection system but bad rings and seals in the fuel pump, a breaking serpentine belt tensioner, and a seized fuel injector that required us to rebuild the top end of the engine (not at the same time mind you) This little hipster mobile is a great choice if your into spending lots of money for no reason."

My first car, and it's awesome

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, attractive, practical"

Cons: "Slow"

"One of the best-built cars around, no question. The 2.0L is super reliable but obviously lacking on power (great on gas though). The 5-speed transmission is a must because VW makes great transmissions. Interior is refined without being over-complex. Exterior is plain when stock but gorgeous when you lower it and put some nice wheels on. Very easy to work on and modify as well."

Love VW Rabbit/Golf

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive, can haul a boat"

Cons: "2 door can't have moon roof"

"I have owned 7; 5 being diesels. Current car is Golf TDI with 212000 miles. Maintenance is absolutely NOT a problem. Every 60,000 miles new timing belt and oil changes every 5000 miles. No problem. Can decide this minute to go to Florida and drive this car without any special planning. Love the hatchback. With seats down I got a full size dishwasher still in the box in the car."

Expencisive Lesson

By on Friday, December 31, 2010

"When I purchaced this car "I had to have it". It was used...I bought it in 2005 with 1200miles on it. Now it is 2010, it has 88,000 miles on it. With the 88,000 miles it has two sets of wheel bearings, axel pilot bearings, new fuel pump. I am afraid to drive it because it cost money every time I turn the key. The dealer acts like I owe them and should bow down in their pressence. I received a recall for the glow plugs. They want the car all day....which is over an hour away and then they do not know if my car is the one that needs the glow plugs untill they are removed. I replaced one of the glow plugs, but will not be reimbursed for my expence. It would be less expensive for me to purchace the glow plugs and replace them myself. The car has been a headach from about 50,000 miles, and dealing with the dealership makes it worse."

My One and Only Ever!

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"I bought my 2004 Golf new to replace my 1989 Golf which I bought to replace my ___ Golf -- well you get the idea! This is the only car I will ever want and hope it lasts a lifetime! I have a 5-speed manual transmission which can get a bit tricky on San Francisco's hills but it allows me to totally control my speed and handling and gets me superb 35 mpg plus gas mileage. I love to coast too on the hills and my dream is to get all the way across SF without going into gear at all! In a city where parking spaces are almost nonexistent, I can usually find a spot even where homeowners have sneakily widened driveways to keep people from parking in front of their houses. I love the way my wide and low slung little car hugs the road and handles on sharp curves (unlike my husband's giant Toyota SUV). I love my Golf's indigo blue body still looking good after all these years! Because it's a little car my Golf's sunroof and windows keep the interior cool on even the hottest days. I recently took my Golf in for servicing and it only cost a small amount. I was told the transmission, brakes and tires were still in like new condition and I was in no way ready for an engine tuneup! One of the few things I would like upgrade is my sound system (AM reception is not so hot). Also, I have the pale blond interior but did not discover until after I had the car for awhile and my dealer had gone out of business that my seats hadn't been Scotchgarded which means my driver's seat is now the denim blue of my jeans (no seatcovers should be used because of airbags -- something else I didn't know until too late to change upholstery color!). But all this is just to say my 2004 Golf is a fabulous car and if you are looking to buy one -- go for it but know that it's a love that could last forever!!"