2004 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Happy owner from day 1

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I've owned my 5-speed manual 2-door TDI since it had 17 miles and this little car just keeps going. It's fun to drive the standard shift (I thing the automatic version feels sluggish) and after 115,000 miles, I'm getting over 48mpg with mixed street/freeway driving. The only downside is the glowplugs. They are very expensive to replace and seem to go out every 60,000 miles. Luckily, I live in a warm climate where this isn't an issue, but if you're in a cold climate, this is definitely a concern. Overall, I love my little dub and have gotten unsolicited offers to buy it.... but I'm not selling!"

VW golf

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"The VW Golf its and awsome car to own very confortable and reliable , i would deff recomend this vehicle to everyone."

Best Vehicle

By on Monday, October 05, 2009

"This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I've owned over 500 different ones! TDI rocks, the only drawback is biodiesel is not available everywhere."

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"This has been a very reliable car, never breaks down. It's got good power and is fun to drive. Good gas mileage. For a small car, it has fit everything from 8 foot lumbar to several pieces of assembled furniture."

Good, not great

By on Saturday, February 28, 2009

"I've had a bunch of problems with this car - bad oxygen sensors, mysteriously cracked oil pan, interior components falling apart, bad fuel pump. The check engine light is on more than not. And I am on top of scheduled service and maintenance. When it's problem free, it's a great city car - zippy, responsive, and hugs the road. I'm 6'3" and can't fit comfortably in much else, which I like about this car. But I will try and avoid VWs in the future. Too quirky and overpriced for the quality."

Best Commuting Car

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"This car has never let me down (*knock on wood*). It grips the road, it has get up and go, it's sporty yet very fuel efficient. I get between 45-50 mpg when on the highway...even at speeds of 75-80 mph. We bought it brand new, for a reasonable price and have never complained since. It is the only car I have ever owned that I do not want to sell. I plan on driving this car until it refuses to drive any further."

Golf TDI GLS

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Nice car great german engineering but at about 70K miles things started going bad and costing alot to fix- great car good pickup and 47 MPG go along way but high repair costs can put a damper on farfegnugen."

Outstanding!

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have had my Golf for 4 trouble-free years, and it's been the best car I've owned, even better than my BMW."

horrible car!!!!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2008

"never ever buy a volkswagon golf!!! expensive to fix and always in the shop"

More pwer than any 4 cyl gas car &40+mpg!

By on Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Sporty, corners well, fun to drive and economical.Long road trips are not quite as comfortable as they should be, but not unbearable either.It even makes a great tow vehicle with a small utility trailer.I love to drive A LOT so this car was a must!"

it's OK

By on Saturday, June 21, 2008

"I really enjoy it's european handling. I like VW's maintenance schedule--oil change every 5000 miles. It is sporty to drive esp. 5 speed. 4cyl non-turbo can do 1/4 mi. at 119mph. Gets about 28mpg in city and 32 hwy. Little things go wrong with it, like vent air direction controls break off-even though the car has been well cared for. The 3rd gear has started grinding after 22,000 mi. Back seat on 4 dr is too small for adults. This car gets good gas mileage because it is so light, however, if there is 1/2" of snow on the ground the car can barely go. My model does not have the VW version of traction control because it's the very base model."

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"I only go for gas once a week and it runs like a baby"

Great little car would do it again

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"I have owned this car for around two months now and love every bit of it. The 2.0L engine gives you some fun while still have fuel aconomy in the mid 30's This little car handles the smokey mountains very nicely and loves to run on the highway. Only complaint I have is that they should have had either a taller fifth gear or a sixth gear on them. Otherwise love it. Will be doing it again."

a reliable automobile

By on Monday, June 09, 2008

"The latest model golf (not the rabbit) comes with only 115HP, little under powered. But for the price you receive a presentable little car, with more room than you would expect it to have (bigger than BMW 3series or MB C-class). It gets an average 29 Miles to the gallon. A good Reliable, safe, simple car. A lot of fun to drive, (cornering). Its a good car for the city, at the same time it has plenty of tourque for the freeway (get the manual transmission , more responsive). Maintain the car well, and it will run 200K, easy...!"

By on Saturday, April 05, 2008

Great little car for price

By on Friday, April 04, 2008

"This car was 2 years old when I bought it. It gets pretty good gas mileage and decent performance considering the low-power engine. It is not a fast car, but a very good driving car and handles curvy roads very well. I had a couple electronic issues when I first purchased this car. The Check Engine light came on a few times for a few different things, which was annoying, but nothing major. Where this car really shines is its versatility, the hatchback trunk area is very roomy for a car of its size, and when you fold down the seats you can carry quite a bit of stuff. Pros: cargo space, handling, gas mileage Cons: Underpowered, a few electrical problems"

great milage!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I love my 2003 TDI Golf, I have only had a few problems(knock on wood!) , I drive fast and spirited ,I am amazed how I can run the A/C all the time drive up hills and still 38mpg! ,believe me all German cars have problems because of over engineering! To sum it all up : if you buy a VW TDI get a friggen stick ,the sticks are better , but depending on the year replace the clutch ,maintain the car and the car will maintain you! The car does maintain there price the TDI's that is! ,I will say I would buy a new car ,but I would hate the gas milage! and I refuse to buy an ugly toyota prius! VW/Audi are going to release the new TDI ,but only in the Jetta for now in middle of spring 08, that is the projected date for the release of the TDI"

Smooth Sporty ride!

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I've been always a big fan of volks, but my golf is just amazing. Confortable ride, smooth when it drives. One thing. Always take your volks to a volks dealer for maintance! it is a little more expensive, but its worthwhile. I never had any problems so far. 1 year of use."

Cash Cow

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"Bought as a one owner car, 23K miles...by 60K I'd replaced the transmission and both cv joints (4000.00 bucks and I bought a used replacement transmission.) Reoccuring electrical issues (warning lights), seem to fix themselves after a couple days. A/C went out last month...compressor...trading it off now. Not worth the additional money. The Good? Smooth ride, fairly comfortable, nice options and a great sound system."

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I rolled my 2003 Golf GL last night and walked away with only a scratch on my arm, this car saved my life and I loved it while it was fully functional as well. I don't know how I am alive except for this car saving my life. It made the drive from CT to GA relaxing to go to school for and I truly miss it."

Another Keeper

By on Thursday, October 18, 2007

"My First Car was a 1979 VW Rabbit and I've been hooked ever since. The SECOND I pulled out of the VW Dealer and pressed the the Fuel Pedal I knew the 2004 Golf TDI was my car. With an automatic trans it averages 38 to 43 mpg and I hammer this thing. My kid (4yrs old) loves it because sitting in the center of the back seat gives him excellent visability. I love letting people try my car, because they are ALWAYS surprised that a Diesel could be so snappy and so quiet driving down the road. This is NOT the diesel of the past. Excellent driving in inclement weather too. Maintenance Wise: 1 Set of tires @ 50k, Rear Brakes @ 65k and Regular Oil Changes of course. The only issue I've had was a check engine light which was an $11.45 coolant sensor; after 75k... I'd call that a bargain."

Reliable Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"had the car since 2002, barely any problems what so ever, just change the oil when needed, and runs great."

Great car

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"This has been the best car I have owned. Routinely gets 50mph with good power. I drive over a mountain every day and this car does not waiver from speed while climbing the hill. Good comfort inside. Comes with pretty much everything standard. Hugs the road nicely. I currently have 136000miles and plan to get at least 300k out of this one before buying another."

A Supurb Vehicle if Wel Maintained

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"2001 VW Golf 2.0 GLS 5-speed 89,500 miles I have shared this vehicle with my wife for the past 5 years and have virtually no complaints. Have I had to replace parts? Of course. Were some of them a tad pricey? Sure. Have some of the Bosche sensors dies prematurely? Yup. This car is not without it's quirks and if you're looking for a maintenance-free vehicle that will cost you almost nothing to keep on the road, then buy Japanese. It's simple. However, if you enjoy the act of driving: coming into corners a little hot, a feeling of being connected to the road through both the steering and drivetrain and enjoy a massive amount of utility all at 30+ mpg than this is the car to buy. There's nothing else on the market that offers this level of fun, economy and utilty even for twice the money. Find yourself an independent mechanic whom you trust and fix issues when they arise. Become his best friend and he'll save you money on parts. If properly maintained, this car should provide you with many, many years of reliable, fun and utilitarian-packed enjoyment. Issues I've found: - MAF (mass air flow meter) will not last. Since the cars are manufactured in Brazil, these parts are more money and NOT interchangeable with the Jetta or Beetle engines. - ABS wheel-speed sensor/brake wire sensor - Window regulators (can buy on eBay or form your local pick-n'-pull - Catalytic converter may rust from the outside in. Keep clean in winter... road salt will kill this vehicle. - Shocks will go around 60-80k (especially rear if you haul stuff a lot...which you should since you bought a Golf) - Lights will blow out... brakelight, headlights, blinkers. All are easy to replace. Do an internet search and you'll be surprised how easy it is. - I advise against using a reusable air filter like K&N. VW finally admitted that using them is bad... the oil on the cotton filter will foul the MAF ($220 actual cost) - These engines (2.0L only) eat oil. Top off at 1,500 miles and get regular oil changes at 3,000. The car will run rough and let you know when it needs an oil change. Pay attention to the vehicle, keep it well-maintained and it will be a wonderful car. After a few years, you'll begin to think about which VW model you'll want next. I personally own a 1999 BMW 328i convertible and get as much enjoyment out of the Golf as I do out of the Bahn-stomper BMW."

Excellent car for the most part

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "MILEAGE still getting 38 MPG after 11 yrs"

Cons: "lower part of front bumper comes off easily"

"Pros: MILEAGE still getting 38 MPG after 11 yrs of driving it; front-wheel drive good for snow; stable to drive; has good pickup, though after 160,000 it is getting tired. Has cover to hide stuff behind rear seat; rear seats fold down almost flat, has tie-downs embedded in frame for cargo area. Had ABS standard, one of the reasons I bought it. Cons: transmission had to be replaced at 60,000 (get insurance!); lower part of front bumper comes off easily when hangs up on some curbs where u park, had to replace it; no good for off-road, big blind spot back corner, low not so good for seniors, to recline seat had to turn a wheel."