2004 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 270 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Excellent car for the most part

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "MILEAGE still getting 38 MPG after 11 yrs"

Cons: "lower part of front bumper comes off easily"

"Pros: MILEAGE still getting 38 MPG after 11 yrs of driving it; front-wheel drive good for snow; stable to drive; has good pickup, though after 160,000 it is getting tired. Has cover to hide stuff behind rear seat; rear seats fold down almost flat, has tie-downs embedded in frame for cargo area. Had ABS standard, one of the reasons I bought it. Cons: transmission had to be replaced at 60,000 (get insurance!); lower part of front bumper comes off easily when hangs up on some curbs where u park, had to replace it; no good for off-road, big blind spot back corner, low not so good for seniors, to recline seat had to turn a wheel."

NEVER regretted buying my Golf. No problems.

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "Good mileage; comfortable; cute; worth the price"

Cons: "turn knob vs leaver to make the front recline"

"My first new car purchase was a 4 door VW Golf. I've loved it ever since. Driving Golfs seems to run in our family with 3 of us owning one. All the girls are on the tall side and the guys shoot right up there at 6ft, 6'4" and 6'7" so you'd expect they wouldn't be able to fold into a little Golf. Worry not. No folding required. They all love their Golfs too. And this car works for all of us. We shop at Swedish very large bright yellow and blue colored store (no advertising, right?) a lot and have been able to get all our purchases into our Golfs. The first long drive I took in my then new car was a 5 hour run up the Calif. coast. I thought I'd be screaming with back pain, but, nope. Not a squeak. I've never had any mechanical problems which I'm guessing is because I've made sure the oil and service was up to date . And I love the stick shift! Even driving in San Francisco."

Great car

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "High MPG and a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Interior quality could be better"

"Other than some minor complaints about quality, This car has been great to own. Minimum of 46 MPG city and up to 54 MPG highway is no meager feat. I wish it was still new."

Super wonderful car

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "Everything about the car!"

Cons: "Tight space betw. seats hard to get dropped keys"

"I bought this car new in July 2010 and got a fabulous deal on the color and all equipment I wanted. I have meticulously maintained it, and even though I live in a very hilly area, I still have 60% of my original brakes left according to my mechanics. I also still have the original manual transmission and it is in good condition. I have replaced the timing belt as a safety precaution, because the car does have an interference engine. All original equipment on the car works well even after 10 years! The only flaws were caused by me, like forgetting to close windows and having rain spots on my blond upholstery, and hitting the garage door and having to touch up paint. I hope I never have to part with my cute little Golf!"

Amazing fuel economy, super fun to drive!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy"

Cons: "expensive to fix when breaks"

"Very good car model- has great fuel economy (51 mpg on highway). Solid engine- no repairs ever needed and my car has over 210K on it. Great handling during normal driving conditions and good handling in snow and sleet with good snow tires. High resale value. Can be expensive to repair, but that's the case for most European vehicles."