2003 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 265 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Great car experience

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Great Transmission and reliable car."

Cons: "Interior parts broke. Quality should be better."

"Have owned this car for over 12 years. AC still good and no major drivetrain issues. Just tires and brakes in that time. Clutch is perfect, engine and turbo are great. I have never owned a car this long before. It has fairly low mileage but have not owned a car with such few problems."

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Little war horse. Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Safe, never broke down, mpg, affordable maint."

Cons: "I got emotionally attached."

"Hands down, I absolutely love this car. That's saying a lot, being that I am a car buff. I bought it used from a certified VW dealer in 2008 with 27k miles. It NEVER broke down. The only thing I needed the warranty for was to replace a wheel barring (~$1k job). The oil is easy to change yourself, as is all other routine maintenance (also affordable at an honest garage). I was in love. It was as fun to drive as a loaded rally car, but not crazy enough to be targeted by police. 4 doors = a must. When the back seats are put down, there's tons of cargo space. Oh, and great speakers. The dash displays are nice too (blue and red color scheme). If you are worried about driving a small car because of safety, I hear you. However, I commuted 60 miles (hwy) in this car a day and it kept me safe. No blind spots, too. Last month, I got rear ended at a stop light by a big Toyota pickup going 50mph. The kid was texting or something. My Golf was pushed into the Volvo in front of me... and it was totaled. I was well enough to get myself out of the car, but did go to the hospital. If i was in a Civic hatchback, it would have been another story. I miss this car terribly and am grateful it kept me safe (perhaps even saved my life). Those Germans know how to design a good frame and crumple zones..."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "suspension too soft, quality of the interior"

"The car is fun to drive and handles well. The GL model has a softly sprung suspension and it does not do well over roads with pot holes. The gas mileage is good, I seldom have to fill it up. I had to replace the cooling fan and coolant sensor as well as the front strut mounts and left front wheel bearing. Other than that, I've had no other problems. The cooling fan seems to be a common problem based on other reviews that I've read. The beige interior is hard to keep clean and the fabric is pulling away from the front door panels and the head liner is starting to pull away in the front. The estimate for a new headliner and to re upholster the door panels is $300. The battery fails without warning consistently every 4 years as I am on the third battery."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

It is what it is...

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, agile handling, styling is unique."

Cons: "poor electrics/electronics. buttons are cheap"

"On the plus side, the car is lots of fun to drive and it's very agile. Parts are relitively inexpensive and repairs are fairly straight forward. The car has plenty of power for interstate driving, visibility is good all round. Fit and finish are above average. The electrics/electronics are clunky, and troublesome. Headlamps are only barely acceptable for night driving. Fuel economy is 23mpg average. I like and dislike the car at the same time, so overall, I think it's an OK vehicle, but not sure if I'd buy another vw anytime soon. I bought the car used and use it for commuting only."

Best Investestment i ever made!

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Pros: "MPG's, comfert and reliability"

Cons: "can be hard to find some one to work on it"

"I BOUGHT THE TDI NEW IN 2002 AND STILL ENJOY DRIVING IT."

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Drives well, European interiors, compact"

Cons: "No arm rest, poor gas consumption"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and I am still driving it daily after almost 9 years. The car drives well, takes regular gasoline, and has been fairly inexpensive to keep running. I still get lots of compliments on its looks. Its a fun car to drive and zips around well."

Hope you have money!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, when it actually ran"

Cons: "constant pricey repairs"

"I bought this car 3 years ago after my 1995 4 door Golf was totaled thinking it would be a good replacement. Boy was I wrong. I spent way more money in redundant repairs in 3 years than I did on my older, higher mileage Golf I drove for 6. The electrical problems were absolute nightmares, and I spent over $1750 in 2 years just replacing ignition coils that seemed to go bad monthly, (replaced 1 twice, and 2 more once each) and got progressively more expensive each time. (the first time was around $160, every time after that was hundreds more even after going to the same trusted mechanic I've always gone too. I was informed there was such a demand for the part, they were hard to find and got more expensive) After putting more money than I paid into it after just 2 and a half years, I'm junking it because I couldn't in good conscience sell this car to anyone."

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25