2003 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 267 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Love hate relationship

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Open windows with key great in hot weather."

Cons: "Overall quality not as expected."

"I love some things about this car and hate others. Cons: Passenger door leaks. Radio controls. Constant dampness in car. Cargo area light s/b in hatch. Mileage same as my 1969 Triumph. Adjusting tilt on seats. Valet key useless because has trunk latch in door. Brazil car. Moonroof drains leaked. Stalk controls easily hit by mistake. Key left door only. Very limited passenger space. Pros: Key opens/closes all windows. Rear hatch handle. Hood safety lock. Paint. Dash lights. Headlights. Visor mirrors. Auto windows in front."

One of the best I have owned

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "fuel economy,reliability, comfortable seats"

Cons: "rear seat ok for kids not adults."

"Great ride for a small car,good handling & braking. Fuel mileage excellent.Seats are very comfortable even on long trips. Have owned since new, 9 years now & other than scheduled service nothing else needed."

Great car experience

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Great Transmission and reliable car."

Cons: "Interior parts broke. Quality should be better."

"Have owned this car for over 12 years. AC still good and no major drivetrain issues. Just tires and brakes in that time. Clutch is perfect, engine and turbo are great. I have never owned a car this long before. It has fairly low mileage but have not owned a car with such few problems."

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Little war horse. Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Safe, never broke down, mpg, affordable maint."

Cons: "I got emotionally attached."

"Hands down, I absolutely love this car. That's saying a lot, being that I am a car buff. I bought it used from a certified VW dealer in 2008 with 27k miles. It NEVER broke down. The only thing I needed the warranty for was to replace a wheel barring (~$1k job). The oil is easy to change yourself, as is all other routine maintenance (also affordable at an honest garage). I was in love. It was as fun to drive as a loaded rally car, but not crazy enough to be targeted by police. 4 doors = a must. When the back seats are put down, there's tons of cargo space. Oh, and great speakers. The dash displays are nice too (blue and red color scheme). If you are worried about driving a small car because of safety, I hear you. However, I commuted 60 miles (hwy) in this car a day and it kept me safe. No blind spots, too. Last month, I got rear ended at a stop light by a big Toyota pickup going 50mph. The kid was texting or something. My Golf was pushed into the Volvo in front of me... and it was totaled. I was well enough to get myself out of the car, but did go to the hospital. If i was in a Civic hatchback, it would have been another story. I miss this car terribly and am grateful it kept me safe (perhaps even saved my life). Those Germans know how to design a good frame and crumple zones..."