2003 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 268 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

The way this car handles is amazing

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "5000.00"

Cons: "More speed"

"I bought this took it to vw in McKinney and did what they said to make sure no major break downs they replaced water pump and timing belt 2700.dollars new tires 17"custom rims 1200.00 new ac compressor and I paid 5000.00 so tell what do you offer"

best gas milage of any car out there

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"this car will get you anywhere you want to go while being super easy on the wallet"

Great little car

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Hugs road, easy to drive"

Cons: "Doors that automatically lock"

"Best car I have ever had. Still looks current. Have spent minimal amount on repairs. Both granddaughters want it (21 and 17 years old)"

10 Years of Happy Ownership!

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Reason: Upgraded to New Car

Pros: "Rock solid reliability, cheap to own, handles well"

Cons: "Slow!, Not really a looker, Very small"

"I recently traded this car in simply because I wanted more out of a car. (More power, a little bit of luxury, bigger, more comfortable). After 10 years and 121,000 it just didn't really suit my life style anymore…But, this car served me so well during that time that I feel compelled to give it the recognition it deserves. People can say what they will about VW reliability, and a lot of it may be true regarding the other models, but these little hatchbacks really can't be beat when it comes to practicality, reliability, and utility. This thing never once let me down. I can easily recall every instance of taking it in for non-maintenance repairs. This is easy because it only happened 3 times. The first was in the first week of ownership to replace a part that was causing a knocking sound in the front axel area. Dealer swapped with no fuss. It was a little concerning to have something break that early in ownership, but I was rewarded for not giving up on it. It didn't go back in for a repair until 75,000 miles when the thermal sending unit needed to be replaced for $400. This would've been a lot less had I done it myself or taken it to an independent, but at the time I thought the stealership was the only way to go. Live and learn. The last time was around 95,000 when the O2 sensors went and took out the catalytic converter. Luckily, VW warrantied the Cats for 100,000, so they swapped for free and I replaced the O2 sensors myself for around $200. Other than that, it was just maintenance and wear items. The cost of ownership on this car was just ridiculously low. From a driving standpoint, you aren't likely to have your hair blown back in this car. However, it handles surprisingly well for its class and will be far less boring than most of the Japanese econo-car counterparts. I thought the interior was very classy and simple. Just a great car to knock-around town in, or take cross country…which I did twice. Im sure most people aren't very likely to be considering a Golf this old, but this is more of a testament to the longevity of the Golf line. If you're considering a new one, I say go for it. If you want reliability with a little taste of entry level German engineering, you won't be disappointed."

Great little coupe with lots of interior space

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Good economy, Good appearance, Great use of space."

Cons: "Hard to reach the seatbelt"

"My 05 Golf GL is the automatic w/2.0L engine. It gets 30mpg highway and 20's in town. Very easy to drive, handles well and is quite responsive. The car handles well on snow and ice. The seats pop up out of the way for access to the back and with the back seats folded down it has plenty of room for most duties. I have had no problems since purchased used 2.5 years ago. VW quality assembled in Brazil! Personally I would prefer a bit more ground clearance and increase in height of seating for ease of entry and exit. The oil filter is hard to reach and oil changes are messy. Interior finish is good for a base model and holds up well. Paint is very nice and the tranny shifts great. Do have the tranny flushed around 60K miles and keep up with maintenance (don't forget the timing belt at 90K). A little more expensive to maintain than a Ford or Honda- but a much nicer and better built car is worth the pennies a day."