2003 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 267 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Super wonderful car

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "Everything about the car!"

Cons: "Tight space betw. seats hard to get dropped keys"

"I bought this car new in July 2010 and got a fabulous deal on the color and all equipment I wanted. I have meticulously maintained it, and even though I live in a very hilly area, I still have 60% of my original brakes left according to my mechanics. I also still have the original manual transmission and it is in good condition. I have replaced the timing belt as a safety precaution, because the car does have an interference engine. All original equipment on the car works well even after 10 years! The only flaws were caused by me, like forgetting to close windows and having rain spots on my blond upholstery, and hitting the garage door and having to touch up paint. I hope I never have to part with my cute little Golf!"

Amazing fuel economy, super fun to drive!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy"

Cons: "expensive to fix when breaks"

"Very good car model- has great fuel economy (51 mpg on highway). Solid engine- no repairs ever needed and my car has over 210K on it. Great handling during normal driving conditions and good handling in snow and sleet with good snow tires. High resale value. Can be expensive to repair, but that's the case for most European vehicles."

I have all my life owned volkswagens They're best

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage especially after tunedbyF1TUNING"

Cons: "has none"

"I have all my life owned volkswagens They're the best in my opinion ... I first took my road test in a 5 speed Volkswagen .... and have owed them ever since but the best one I have owned is this TDI great on MPG and very reliable you even forget that It runs on fuel ..."

I have all my life owned volkswagens They're best

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage especially after tunedbyF1TUNING"

Cons: "has none"

The way this car handles is amazing

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "5000.00"

Cons: "More speed"

"I bought this took it to vw in McKinney and did what they said to make sure no major break downs they replaced water pump and timing belt 2700.dollars new tires 17"custom rims 1200.00 new ac compressor and I paid 5000.00 so tell what do you offer"

best gas milage of any car out there

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"this car will get you anywhere you want to go while being super easy on the wallet"

Great little car

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Hugs road, easy to drive"

Cons: "Doors that automatically lock"

"Best car I have ever had. Still looks current. Have spent minimal amount on repairs. Both granddaughters want it (21 and 17 years old)"

10 Years of Happy Ownership!

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Reason: Upgraded to New Car

Pros: "Rock solid reliability, cheap to own, handles well"

Cons: "Slow!, Not really a looker, Very small"

"I recently traded this car in simply because I wanted more out of a car. (More power, a little bit of luxury, bigger, more comfortable). After 10 years and 121,000 it just didn't really suit my life style anymore…But, this car served me so well during that time that I feel compelled to give it the recognition it deserves. People can say what they will about VW reliability, and a lot of it may be true regarding the other models, but these little hatchbacks really can't be beat when it comes to practicality, reliability, and utility. This thing never once let me down. I can easily recall every instance of taking it in for non-maintenance repairs. This is easy because it only happened 3 times. The first was in the first week of ownership to replace a part that was causing a knocking sound in the front axel area. Dealer swapped with no fuss. It was a little concerning to have something break that early in ownership, but I was rewarded for not giving up on it. It didn't go back in for a repair until 75,000 miles when the thermal sending unit needed to be replaced for $400. This would've been a lot less had I done it myself or taken it to an independent, but at the time I thought the stealership was the only way to go. Live and learn. The last time was around 95,000 when the O2 sensors went and took out the catalytic converter. Luckily, VW warrantied the Cats for 100,000, so they swapped for free and I replaced the O2 sensors myself for around $200. Other than that, it was just maintenance and wear items. The cost of ownership on this car was just ridiculously low. From a driving standpoint, you aren't likely to have your hair blown back in this car. However, it handles surprisingly well for its class and will be far less boring than most of the Japanese econo-car counterparts. I thought the interior was very classy and simple. Just a great car to knock-around town in, or take cross country…which I did twice. Im sure most people aren't very likely to be considering a Golf this old, but this is more of a testament to the longevity of the Golf line. If you're considering a new one, I say go for it. If you want reliability with a little taste of entry level German engineering, you won't be disappointed."

Great little coupe with lots of interior space

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Good economy, Good appearance, Great use of space."

Cons: "Hard to reach the seatbelt"

"My 05 Golf GL is the automatic w/2.0L engine. It gets 30mpg highway and 20's in town. Very easy to drive, handles well and is quite responsive. The car handles well on snow and ice. The seats pop up out of the way for access to the back and with the back seats folded down it has plenty of room for most duties. I have had no problems since purchased used 2.5 years ago. VW quality assembled in Brazil! Personally I would prefer a bit more ground clearance and increase in height of seating for ease of entry and exit. The oil filter is hard to reach and oil changes are messy. Interior finish is good for a base model and holds up well. Paint is very nice and the tranny shifts great. Do have the tranny flushed around 60K miles and keep up with maintenance (don't forget the timing belt at 90K). A little more expensive to maintain than a Ford or Honda- but a much nicer and better built car is worth the pennies a day."

Be afraid, VERY afraid

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "expensive to keep running. Undependable"

"The car was driven just over 120,000 miles. It was well cared for. ALL REQUIRED SERVICES WERE PERFORMED ON TIME AND BY QUALIFIED, CERTIFIED PERSONS. When driving from Columbia Missouri to St. Louis Missouri the diesel engine "imploded". That was several years ago. We still own the car hoping against hope that VW will come clean and make things right. It still decorates our barn yard, but not for long. The "skinny" from the internet and mechanics I've interviewed - Volkswagen produced a faulty design for their TDI diesel engine used in the Golf for that year (as well as others). After approaching VW via snail mail, email, and in person we just get the "brush off". CONCLUSION: After the poor performance of the vehicle, and the totally rude, and unprofessional attitude of ALL Volkswagen representatives, I highly recommend *AGAINST* buying any Volkswagen products. Period."

Love hate relationship

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Open windows with key great in hot weather."

Cons: "Overall quality not as expected."

"I love some things about this car and hate others. Cons: Passenger door leaks. Radio controls. Constant dampness in car. Cargo area light s/b in hatch. Mileage same as my 1969 Triumph. Adjusting tilt on seats. Valet key useless because has trunk latch in door. Brazil car. Moonroof drains leaked. Stalk controls easily hit by mistake. Key left door only. Very limited passenger space. Pros: Key opens/closes all windows. Rear hatch handle. Hood safety lock. Paint. Dash lights. Headlights. Visor mirrors. Auto windows in front."

One of the best I have owned

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "fuel economy,reliability, comfortable seats"

Cons: "rear seat ok for kids not adults."

"Great ride for a small car,good handling & braking. Fuel mileage excellent.Seats are very comfortable even on long trips. Have owned since new, 9 years now & other than scheduled service nothing else needed."

Great car experience

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Great Transmission and reliable car."

Cons: "Interior parts broke. Quality should be better."

"Have owned this car for over 12 years. AC still good and no major drivetrain issues. Just tires and brakes in that time. Clutch is perfect, engine and turbo are great. I have never owned a car this long before. It has fairly low mileage but have not owned a car with such few problems."

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Little war horse. Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Safe, never broke down, mpg, affordable maint."

Cons: "I got emotionally attached."

"Hands down, I absolutely love this car. That's saying a lot, being that I am a car buff. I bought it used from a certified VW dealer in 2008 with 27k miles. It NEVER broke down. The only thing I needed the warranty for was to replace a wheel barring (~$1k job). The oil is easy to change yourself, as is all other routine maintenance (also affordable at an honest garage). I was in love. It was as fun to drive as a loaded rally car, but not crazy enough to be targeted by police. 4 doors = a must. When the back seats are put down, there's tons of cargo space. Oh, and great speakers. The dash displays are nice too (blue and red color scheme). If you are worried about driving a small car because of safety, I hear you. However, I commuted 60 miles (hwy) in this car a day and it kept me safe. No blind spots, too. Last month, I got rear ended at a stop light by a big Toyota pickup going 50mph. The kid was texting or something. My Golf was pushed into the Volvo in front of me... and it was totaled. I was well enough to get myself out of the car, but did go to the hospital. If i was in a Civic hatchback, it would have been another story. I miss this car terribly and am grateful it kept me safe (perhaps even saved my life). Those Germans know how to design a good frame and crumple zones..."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "suspension too soft, quality of the interior"

"The car is fun to drive and handles well. The GL model has a softly sprung suspension and it does not do well over roads with pot holes. The gas mileage is good, I seldom have to fill it up. I had to replace the cooling fan and coolant sensor as well as the front strut mounts and left front wheel bearing. Other than that, I've had no other problems. The cooling fan seems to be a common problem based on other reviews that I've read. The beige interior is hard to keep clean and the fabric is pulling away from the front door panels and the head liner is starting to pull away in the front. The estimate for a new headliner and to re upholster the door panels is $300. The battery fails without warning consistently every 4 years as I am on the third battery."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

It is what it is...

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, agile handling, styling is unique."

Cons: "poor electrics/electronics. buttons are cheap"

"On the plus side, the car is lots of fun to drive and it's very agile. Parts are relitively inexpensive and repairs are fairly straight forward. The car has plenty of power for interstate driving, visibility is good all round. Fit and finish are above average. The electrics/electronics are clunky, and troublesome. Headlamps are only barely acceptable for night driving. Fuel economy is 23mpg average. I like and dislike the car at the same time, so overall, I think it's an OK vehicle, but not sure if I'd buy another vw anytime soon. I bought the car used and use it for commuting only."

Best Investestment i ever made!

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Pros: "MPG's, comfert and reliability"

Cons: "can be hard to find some one to work on it"

"I BOUGHT THE TDI NEW IN 2002 AND STILL ENJOY DRIVING IT."

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Drives well, European interiors, compact"

Cons: "No arm rest, poor gas consumption"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and I am still driving it daily after almost 9 years. The car drives well, takes regular gasoline, and has been fairly inexpensive to keep running. I still get lots of compliments on its looks. Its a fun car to drive and zips around well."

Hope you have money!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, when it actually ran"

Cons: "constant pricey repairs"

"I bought this car 3 years ago after my 1995 4 door Golf was totaled thinking it would be a good replacement. Boy was I wrong. I spent way more money in redundant repairs in 3 years than I did on my older, higher mileage Golf I drove for 6. The electrical problems were absolute nightmares, and I spent over $1750 in 2 years just replacing ignition coils that seemed to go bad monthly, (replaced 1 twice, and 2 more once each) and got progressively more expensive each time. (the first time was around $160, every time after that was hundreds more even after going to the same trusted mechanic I've always gone too. I was informed there was such a demand for the part, they were hard to find and got more expensive) After putting more money than I paid into it after just 2 and a half years, I'm junking it because I couldn't in good conscience sell this car to anyone."

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

Had to sue...

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "Stable on the road, side airbags"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I had to sue VW to uphold a warrantee issue. Transmission started to fail at 80K; door locks failed at about 90K; fan for heating an cooling system cost a bundle now. I maintained this car meticulously but it is cheaply constructed. Also, the OEM tires lasted less than 20K and I drive like an old lady. Plastic components are brittle and the electrical shorts out (like a BMW I once had) regularly. Since this was THE most expensive compact on the market when I bought it, I think that it is a ripoff. Only good part is the paint finish. Never again!"

no rattles, no squeaks,very reliable

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"never had any problems with the car, since I bought it new in 2004. Consistent great gas mileage (TDI). Should I really sell it?"

Good car for its day and class.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value at the time."

"Simple styling reasonable performance and reliability. That pretty much sums up my experience with the 04 Golf. Purchased certified pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles, now have 75,000 with only routine maintenance cost since purchased."