2002 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 273 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Worst seat material ever

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Purchased car new, covered 58,000 miles in 5 years, Handling very good, average 33 mpg overall, best was 42 mpg in hot weather. Rear brake pads wear out twice as fast as fronts there is no warning light for the rear pads, only the front. My model had cloth seats without a doubt the worst material ever (a static magnet for dust and cat hair) High sulphur diesel fuel presents a major problem of carbon build-up in the turbo, only recently can you buy low sulphur fuel here in USA. Strong engine the best ever traction in snow. Twice the car was towed into VW dealer because it wouldn't start in zero degees. Tires only 60% worn after 58,000 miles. The AC unit is pushed to the limits in mid 90 degree weather."

I love my Golf

By on Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I bought my Golf new and have put almost 90,000 miles on it in ten years of mixed city and highway driving. It has had very few problems along the way and always gets a clean bill of health at oil changes and tune-ups. Like other VWs I've owned, it came with far more standard features than comparably-priced Toyotas, Hondas, etc., with the additional benefit of being great fun to drive. It's peppy, goes from zero to 60 without even blinking, and handles like a much more expensive car. The fuel economy isn't great--I get about 23-24 miles in city driving and less than 30 on the highway--but it's acceptable. My only complaint is that the interior hasn't held up all that well: the straps on the hatch cover broke; the back seat no longer locks in the normal position; the knob for the side-view mirror adjustment broke long ago, so mirrors have to be adjusted manually. But those minor complaints aside, my Golf has been a joy to drive."

the art of German engineering!

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Until I got my 2002 Golf, my favorite car had been my 82 Honda Accord hatchback, but this has outdone that car! Almost as reliable (but not quite), and endless fun to drive, handles wonderfully, stable, holds corners and curves to give a thrill to driving. Up to 112,000 miles now, and my Golf still runs like a much newer car, is still stylish and fresh looking, although gas mileage has dropped 4-5 mpg with age. I keep up with all scheduled maintenance at VW dealer (a bit pricey), but it seems worth it, since the car is running so well. I love that it runs like a peppy, sporty car, is very responsive, yet hauls all sorts of large objects, e.g. camping gear, two bikes inside, or even a dishwasher, and fits in tight city parking spaces easily. Minor annoyances are plastic parts that break off, not being able to change a headlight without taking to the dealer, and the frequency with which rear lights burn out-at least I can get to them to change them myself! Love the Golf, would highly recommend it to others. Works great as an only car for two person household, but my friends love me to swap with them if I need to borrow a minivan or truck to move really big stuff, or take 6 or 7 folks somewhere!"

Best Car in its class

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought my car 2004 with 60k and it has now 100k. Besides the normal scheduled maintenance (timing belt/water pump/brakes), I had no issues with the car whatsoever. The interior is classy, the handling/brakes are great, engine could have more HP despite the torque in low RPM. The car is way better than comparable Civics/Corollas."

I love this car and the value can't be beat!!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Excellent fuel mileage and has held up very well!"

Cons: "Suspension is mediocre at best."

"I've owned this car since new. Other than normal maintenance it has never needed any unnecessary repairs. Never left me stranded or hating the car. That said the suspension leaves much to be desired. I don't know what VW was thinking because it is borderline terrible. Quick turns are sluggish with a lot of body roll. The engine is awesome and I've never had less that 40mpg average. Highway driving will easily give you over 50mpg. Can't beat that! Fit and finish have been great and the car doesn't really show its age at all. Hate that I'm going to have to sell for something with more room."