2002 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 267 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Love the car

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

"This is a TDI and I get about 46 miles per gallon around town. I get from 53 to 56 miles per gallon when traveling on open highway. Love it"

Not a VW fan, but this is a great car!

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Decent power, ~42MPG, roomy, Power everything."

Cons: "Cup holders, timing belt, lug bolts."

"I bought this car with two things in mind: fuel economy, transportation. Seems reasonable, right? I was recommended this car by a fellow mechanic friend who has one and I bought this particular one seven months prior to me writing this review. Since initial purchase ($3k) and working out of minor things a car with 261k miles would need (wheel bearing $50, 4 Springs $200, timing belt $300, turbo $400 I do my own work) I have had no complaints. I'm at 276k now, on my second oil change ($45 lubro-moly and filter done every 10k if you do it yourself) I know my car is reliable for a very long time. If you live in a northern "salt belt" state, the body doesn't rust, maybe a front fender. For 16,000 miles in travel I've done in 7 months, it has costed me $1,416 in fuel @ an average $4.01 a gallon for diesel. At 42 mpg, it costs me $.10 a mile to travel the 63 miles I travel almost everyday. I know people who spend $1400 in 2 months for less miles traveled. If I had to go to Florida in a weekend with a friend, I would take this car. It is comfortable, automatic windows are sweet, hit the button once, window is up or down. Radio is loud and clear, could use an Aux input. Cruise control is nice. Only has the "diesel smell" when it initially start from cold and is gone as soon as you get in the car. If you don't like the smell, don't stand next to the exhaust pipe while you let your car warm up. I like the mechanical sounds, if you don't, they're not noticeable inside the car. Has decent power, you won't be praying to the "horsepower gods" when facing an interstate on-ramp. Handles great, tank in snow. I'm 6'6" and i'm comfortable, seat still has room to go back. Interior is VERY adjustable and easy to clean, even for tan. Cons: Lug bolts, need 3 hands to put wheel on. Timing belt will only last 80k, less if you are looking into an automatic. Cup holders gladly dump drinks on heavy accelerations and will proudly fill your vents and radio front, make hazards flasher switch sticky with drink splash. Hand brake placed UNDER arm rest. Finding a used golf with a broken arm rest lid, slight tear on backrest of seat are not uncommon. Trunk lid may have problems with wiring causing wiper to work intermittently and some water gets in from the tail light, not enough to mold, but noticeable dampness. That's it."

really reliable car

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Small size car, with good mechanics and almost no maintenance."

Drives great! Rides great! Love the 40 MPG!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "MPG, fuel range, drive, ride, comfort"

Cons: "As w/most diesels: soot, smell, engine noise, etc"

"With MPG close to gasoline hybrids and all the "green" benefits of a diesel, including potential to be converted to a "grease car", this car is a true bargain. Turbo provides strong acceleration. Great secure handling, surprisingly smooth and quiet ride. You don't hear much road noise or diesel clatter inside the car with the windows up. Comfortable interior with lots of room for a small car. Monsoon audio sounds good. A/C is super cold and climate controls easy to use. Some other controls are a bit unusual but work well. Has been a reliable and economical car, returning 40 MPG on B20 biodiesel with a 530 mile fuel range. If you can find one of these, and can live with it being a diesel, buy it. You won't regret it."

Love My TDI

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Excellent Fuel Economy, Extremely Reliable"

Cons: "Small electrical switches failed multiple times"

02 Golf TDI - with Mods

"I always keep the maintenance up to date on my little Golf TDI and it just keeps going and going. Fuel mileage is over 40mph most of the time. It's strong and I've never had drive train problems. The only issued I've experienced is small electrical components like the brake switch and door light switches. Otherwise, it's fantastic! Excellent quality vehicle. I would not sell it for twice what it's valued at here."

02 Golf TDI - with Mods

Best car I've ever had

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

"In 217000 mi had less than 10 problems!"

i love this car

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

"i love the golf. when i got my lisence i was given an 1985 golf and i loved driving it so much i decided to get a newer one. the 05 runs great and gets decent gas milage. i have had the car for about 2 years and use it as my daily commuter to work (300 miles/week) with no problems, all i've done is regular maitence and it's still running flawlessly."

best car Ive ever owned

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "mileage is best you can get for non hybrid"

Cons: "lack of cup holders and monsoon system is weak"

"This car is a perfect example of value and reliability. I have never had it not start and the worst mileage Ive gotten is 43 pulling a trailer, all fuel receipts kept and documented. It has a very basic interior with just over average marks. I traded a ford for this car due to it making me walk home 3 times in 3 months brand new. I get 49 mpg in the winter with the a.c. off. I plan on buying a new one just like it when the time comes"

Worst and last VW ever owned out of 8

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Reason: falling apart

Pros: "32 mpg highway"

Cons: "very cheaply built"

"Has been on the tow truck 4 times due to mechanical failures. Very poorly built, windows freeze shut constantly, front wheel bearings very weak (replaced twice),very underpowered if more than driver is in car."

I love this car

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

"runs great"

Great commuter small family car.

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Pros: "Torque, range, fuel economy, interior finish and fun driving"

Cons: "back seat, draining engine oil, and long throw shifter"

"I have had my 04 TDI 4dr GL since it had 15k miles, after adding 135k I have had no issues, just maintenance. Ride is taunt and handling crisp, I got 70k out of tires, 100k out of brakes, and the original clutch is still there. I have gotten up to 58mpg but average 45mpg summer and 42mpg winter. Winter shifting is stiff until car warms up, oil changes are expensive due to VW requirements for special synthetic,(not your average Mobile 1 oil), and my back seat leg room is lousy (my dogs find it adequate). I plan on driving it for another 5 years 100k miles."

By on Saturday, May 07, 2011

Reliability over looks

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Forget the looks and rely on transportation that is reliable"

Warm ride

By on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Great car. Heated seats are fantastic, work very well. Starts up well, even in coldest conditions in northern New England. Best mileage achieved thus far 52. Average 42- 45. Could have a bit more room in back for adult seating, but for small family this car works well. Plenty of stow room in trunk. Rear seats fold flat and go up and down easily. Great road feel, plenty of pick up. Great lomg term traveller. Don't like the lack of warning when lights are left on. Overall a great value and a very reliable car. Highly recommended car, strong diesel performer."

By on Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Nothing like it back in 01'

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Thinking about a used TDI ? Wondering if they are worth the money ? I would say they are. The 2001 Golf TDI that I have owned now for 7 years is a great car. I have averaged 45 mpg in a 50/50 mix of highway city driving. I have had very few problems other than normal wear and tear / maintenance issues. The car drives like a larger more comfortable car and even with 210,000 miles, it has NO rattles and uses no oil between the 10,000 mile oil change intervals . I would say that the performance is the only negative , as it takes about 13 seconds to get to 60. Cruising at 70 to 80 mph though, is effortless and extremely comfortable. Another big plus is not having to stop for gas much. I regularly hit 700 miles on a tank when driving conservatively. My best was 890 miles, but that was drafting trucks and driving no faster than 55, which simply isn't practical. If you are seeing reports of these cars achieving 60 mpg, it is possible.... but only if you drive extremely conservatively, and I would say wrecklessly, because people coming up on you doing 50 to 55 in a 65 might very well rear end you. A real world MPG of 45 is not hard to average, and actually easy to exceed. My experience on a flat road during the spring (no A/C )showed @60mpg at 50mph, @55mpg at 55mph, @50mpg at 60 to 65 mph, and @48 mpg at 70 to 75mph. Wind , (yes , wind ) time of year (A/C usage and diesel additives for cold weather ) and overall steadiness with the accelerator can move these numbers around a bit, but on highway trips, the turbo direct injected 1.9L ALH is simply a wonderful example of German engineering. I think when it comes to value, this is the best car I have ever owned. I definately have enjoyed it the most. Good luck on finding one ,(as they are kind of rare), and I hope you have the success I found with mine !"

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

Efficient and fun to drive

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"People are totally jealous when I tell them I get 40 miles to the gallon driving around the county. The torque is incredible! I can pass 8 cylinder trucks going up hills like they've run out of gas. Other than a defect in the clutch while under warranty the only problem I had was the hatchback wouldn't open and the dealer had a hard time figuring out how to fix it, but they did a great job. 94,000 miles and many more to go! Over the 7 years I've had this car I have probably saved at least $9,000 in fuel cost compared to my previous car."

Great for traveling

By on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

"Gets 52 if you baby it in summer has a lot of issues if not babied its fast but wouldnt recommend going fast will wear parts out very fast over all great car"

By on Friday, February 04, 2011

2000 VW Golf

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"For 11 years, best car i've owned"

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bought New 200,000 miles

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Car has been a fun vehicle to own, fun to drive, great mpg's, handles good, good in the snow, good storage space, Hard to find someone to work on it. Timing belt has to be changed at proper intervals, expensive to service at the dealer. Starter has gone bad 3 times, Maf has had to be changed 3 times, intake has to be cleaned because of soot buildup. Glow plugs have had to be changed, 3rd battery in 11 years, expensive to replace. I have enjoyed the mileage and fun factor, but finding someone that knows the little quirky things about a VW diesel is hard. I'm not sure I would buy another even though the ride and feel at 150,000 was better than the brand new Chevy's we test drove, Cobalt and Malibu."

BFF

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Small, economic, attractive, comfortable, VW quality. This car is perfectly engineered and utilizes space with the driver in mind. It has a great feel down a long streach or in the mountain curves. I will be driving this one for a long time to come. :)"