2002 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 267 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Hope you have money!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, when it actually ran"

Cons: "constant pricey repairs"

"I bought this car 3 years ago after my 1995 4 door Golf was totaled thinking it would be a good replacement. Boy was I wrong. I spent way more money in redundant repairs in 3 years than I did on my older, higher mileage Golf I drove for 6. The electrical problems were absolute nightmares, and I spent over $1750 in 2 years just replacing ignition coils that seemed to go bad monthly, (replaced 1 twice, and 2 more once each) and got progressively more expensive each time. (the first time was around $160, every time after that was hundreds more even after going to the same trusted mechanic I've always gone too. I was informed there was such a demand for the part, they were hard to find and got more expensive) After putting more money than I paid into it after just 2 and a half years, I'm junking it because I couldn't in good conscience sell this car to anyone."

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

Had to sue...

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "Stable on the road, side airbags"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I had to sue VW to uphold a warrantee issue. Transmission started to fail at 80K; door locks failed at about 90K; fan for heating an cooling system cost a bundle now. I maintained this car meticulously but it is cheaply constructed. Also, the OEM tires lasted less than 20K and I drive like an old lady. Plastic components are brittle and the electrical shorts out (like a BMW I once had) regularly. Since this was THE most expensive compact on the market when I bought it, I think that it is a ripoff. Only good part is the paint finish. Never again!"

no rattles, no squeaks,very reliable

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"never had any problems with the car, since I bought it new in 2004. Consistent great gas mileage (TDI). Should I really sell it?"

Good car for its day and class.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value at the time."

"Simple styling reasonable performance and reliability. That pretty much sums up my experience with the 04 Golf. Purchased certified pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles, now have 75,000 with only routine maintenance cost since purchased."

Great Value! Fun to Drive!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. Great price."

Cons: "Cup holder design poor."

"I bought this car new in December of 2000 and it has been a great vehicle for me both in the city and in the country. Its great on gas, handles well and has required minimal repairs over the last 11 years. In fact, the car is so much fun, I'm trading it in for its higher performance, power loving cousin, the Golf R, next month."

Absolutly love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"I have been a chevy man for the last 6 years then i started looking in to vw cause of the gas milage they get i dont think i will ever get away from the vw line of cars there great for different types of people there still easy to work on not to expencive to repair and they are easy to get aftermarket parts for"

VW = FUN

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holders"

"There is something special about a Volkswagen, they drive like nothing else on the road. The handling of this car is no exception, it sticks to the road like glue and goes exactly where you point it. The Golf can be either sporty or economic and a little bit of both. I get about 30mpg on average with the 2.0L automatic, and other then some normal expected issues the car is very reliable. We've taken it on long trips with no issues. If I could afford a new one, I'd buy it... but even buying a used one has been a great experience."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good value for the money"

Cons: "Not enough storage space"

"The little things that Volkswagen has done to this car makes this a great value, such as the Telescoping steering wheel and center sun visor. My one complaint is there is no storage in the vehicle. NO center console and minimal compartments, and the trunk is to small to fit my golf clubs without lowering the back seat"

Awful car.

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "handles fine"

Cons: "unreliable, slow, inefficient, costly to maintain"

"I drove this car for 3 years during college. My experience was not a happy one. Handling was decent in the dry, ok in snow and slush, but horrible in the rain. The car is woefully underpowered and the transmission is horribly clunky. Seats are poor in both comfort and ease of discoloration. Fuel economy is merely so-so, while oil consumption is a very real issue. And repair parts are extremely expensive. Nor has it been reliable. It was purchased in 2007 with 30000 on the odo. At 45000 it stranded me, coolant impeller went haywire and shredded a coolant line. At 60000, it was down for the count again, victim of a shot ignition coil, bad plugs, and toasted plug wires. All in all, I used this car in hopes of it being a reliable, inexpensive-to-maintain first car. It was none of these things. I will never buy another VW, based on the experiences with my Golf."