2001 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 268 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

EXCELLENT COMMUTER

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Best car I have owned. Consistently good gas mileage (not excellent, 32 mpg), solid power band makes up for loss of outright horsepower, good ride/handling balance, great off the pavement even, love the stereo, hvac, sunroof, and seat heaters. Perfect car for 2 people and their stuff and animals, but 3, 4 and 5 is a bit too snug for a 6 footer. Rear seat can be removed completely within 1 minute for extra space, rather than just folded down, which allows me to carry a weed eater, pitchfork, shovel, etc. Liked it so much I ordered a 2008 GTI."

Best Car in its class

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought my car 2004 with 60k and it has now 100k. Besides the normal scheduled maintenance (timing belt/water pump/brakes), I had no issues with the car whatsoever. The interior is classy, the handling/brakes are great, engine could have more HP despite the torque in low RPM. The car is way better than comparable Civics/Corollas."

GET A GOOD MECHANIC

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"this is the most expensive car for maintenance I have ever owned. I have put 40k in 3 years and have spent almost half of my purchase price fixing non-maintenance items like 2 catalytic converters, 3 sets of plug wires, 2 sets of plugs, 2 front o2 sensors, 1 rear o2 sensor, electric door lock, seat release cables, air bag system, and finally the ignition coil which probably caused all the other issues earlier with the wires plugs catalytic converter and o2 sensors. I hate to say it but the service advisor knows me on a first name basis. Before finally finding a good dealer, the other mechanics must subscribe to replace enough stuff and we might just find the problem. Also the VW customer service line is worthless!"

Let down

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have 120,000 miles on my 2000 Golf. It has never broken down or stalled on me but has had some malfunctions (some expensive-transimission, power steering...) that HAD to be repaired in order to keep the car safely driveable. A minor issue I have with my vehicle is the interior finish. The dash is gorgeous & looks new but the material used around the fixtures/buttons/door handles is some kind of soft plastic? that scratches/chips away easily and leaves an UGLY look. On the plus side, I really like the handling and performance. I still find the car fun to drive."