2001 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Aside from one or two things...

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

"It has been good. I buy it used with 55,000 miles. Now with twice that number, I've only had a major issue with the car, can't even remember the details but it cost about $600 and a small link. Over all, I'm happy with it."

Good Purchase

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

"I have had this car for almost five years, and nothing too serious has ever gone wrong. It does have some occasionial electrical issues, but very reliable otherwise."

Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"What can I say? I nearly started a lemon law return on this vehicle after I had it a month. It was in and out of the shop and then was in the shop for a whole month until they finally found the problem - which was in the wiring. It's a love/hate relationship. I love the car and love driving it, but the quality needs to be drastically improved. The check engine light comes on and off repeatedly...I don't pay any attention to it any longer as what the dealer did to "fix" it under warranty...never fixed it. The car is fun to drive and gets great fuel mileage - it is a diesel. It's not all that comfortable as far as the seats are concerned...they could have put a little more padding in them...they are hard. Would I recommend someone else buying this car? Probably not, and I am sure I will not buy another VW. Too bad, love the car, don't love the quality or the treatment I received from VW when I was having so many problems. I called them repeatedly and told them I wanted the car replaced or I was going to make them replace it through the lemon law. I decided not to go through with the lemon law suit even though a lawyer I contacted assured me it would definitely qualify. I really wanted the car and so decided to keep it when VW offered to make my car payment for the month it was in the shop."

Dependable

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I bought my 2003 Golf brand new and haven't had any major issues. I've kept up on my maintenence and haven't driven it hard. The only complaint is the check engine light seems to want to be on no matter what. It goes off usually one month after I get it checked and fixed. The only other issue is clearance, but if you don't drive crazy, it's not a problem. Also break/tail lights go out quickly. BUT, this car never lets me down and is VERY reliable."

Lemon

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I used to love Volkswagon, but I have had this new car for three years and it has broken down three times. The bearings had to be replaced after one month. The brake timer was replaced after one year. Now it needs a new fuel pump. Don't buy this car unless you love to spend time at the auto shop."