2001 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 265 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

GET A GOOD MECHANIC

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"this is the most expensive car for maintenance I have ever owned. I have put 40k in 3 years and have spent almost half of my purchase price fixing non-maintenance items like 2 catalytic converters, 3 sets of plug wires, 2 sets of plugs, 2 front o2 sensors, 1 rear o2 sensor, electric door lock, seat release cables, air bag system, and finally the ignition coil which probably caused all the other issues earlier with the wires plugs catalytic converter and o2 sensors. I hate to say it but the service advisor knows me on a first name basis. Before finally finding a good dealer, the other mechanics must subscribe to replace enough stuff and we might just find the problem. Also the VW customer service line is worthless!"

Let down

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have 120,000 miles on my 2000 Golf. It has never broken down or stalled on me but has had some malfunctions (some expensive-transimission, power steering...) that HAD to be repaired in order to keep the car safely driveable. A minor issue I have with my vehicle is the interior finish. The dash is gorgeous & looks new but the material used around the fixtures/buttons/door handles is some kind of soft plastic? that scratches/chips away easily and leaves an UGLY look. On the plus side, I really like the handling and performance. I still find the car fun to drive."

Good enough car, but should be better

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Nice small hatchback. Looks great, especially the interior finish ... as good as an Audi. Had several warranty issues, so a bit annoying. One warranty issue led to premature break replacement at my own cost after warranty expired. Needs more power (the '07 Rabbit should have this problem fixed). Seems to hold its value well. I just hope that the electronics don't start failing me. So far, so good. Fingers crossed."

Great little car

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I bought my 2000 Golf brand new. I have put 117000 trouble free miles on it. Not sure why these cars get a bad reliability rap; I just make sure that I keep up on oil changes and it never lets me down. I have used it for just about everything imaginable. From carrying a dishwasher home from the store inside the car, to carrying a fullsize 3 cushion couch on Thule roof racks. Very good handling coupled with outstanding brakes. My only complaint; underpowered with the 2 liter gas engine."

Great car

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"This has been the best car I have owned. Routinely gets 50mph with good power. I drive over a mountain every day and this car does not waiver from speed while climbing the hill. Good comfort inside. Comes with pretty much everything standard. Hugs the road nicely. I currently have 136000miles and plan to get at least 300k out of this one before buying another."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25