2001 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

LOVE my car!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, reliable car!"

Cons: "No heated seats. Not fancy looking. Big deal!"

"I have been driving this car for almost 7 years, and I absolutely love it. I just dropped it off for routine maintenance, and driving a 2012 Nissan has me missing my baby like crazy. It's 11 years old now, but has never left me stranded on the side of the road, has never had anything under the hood go out, hugs the road like crazy (I commute over California's notorious, winding Highway 17 daily) with the body of the GTI racecar, gets 40-45 miles per gallon, and is just the best car ever. People keep asking when I plan to upgrade to a newer car... I tell them when my car finally dies - considering most of these cars get 300-500,000 miles and I'm at 146,000, providing I don't get in an accident, it will be a while. The best car ever. When it is time to say goodbye, I will be so upset!"

You can't beat a TDI for fuel economy

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "drives well, plenty of space for small car, 49MPG"

Cons: "Interior plastic falls apart after a few years"

"49 miles per gallon on diesel and US Specs. This car goes over 100 MPH on the autobahn. After 10 years and 135000 miles it still drives smooth. The torque of the TDI engine makes all the difference. Forget about horsepower unless you are racing. Plenty of interior room. Plenty of trunk space. The only problems we had were: 1. replaced the water pump at 100,000, transmission and clutch at 130,000 miles. The only thing I don't like about the car is that the interior plastic parts got brittle after 5 years in the florida sun and the break easily. GLove box handle, parking break button, and center console all broken. But the car is like a tank. It just keeps going and getting great efficiency. Drives great!"

Not a VW fan, but this is a great car!

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Decent power, ~42MPG, roomy, Power everything."

Cons: "Cup holders, timing belt, lug bolts."

"I bought this car with two things in mind: fuel economy, transportation. Seems reasonable, right? I was recommended this car by a fellow mechanic friend who has one and I bought this particular one seven months prior to me writing this review. Since initial purchase ($3k) and working out of minor things a car with 261k miles would need (wheel bearing $50, 4 Springs $200, timing belt $300, turbo $400 I do my own work) I have had no complaints. I'm at 276k now, on my second oil change ($45 lubro-moly and filter done every 10k if you do it yourself) I know my car is reliable for a very long time. If you live in a northern "salt belt" state, the body doesn't rust, maybe a front fender. For 16,000 miles in travel I've done in 7 months, it has costed me $1,416 in fuel @ an average $4.01 a gallon for diesel. At 42 mpg, it costs me $.10 a mile to travel the 63 miles I travel almost everyday. I know people who spend $1400 in 2 months for less miles traveled. If I had to go to Florida in a weekend with a friend, I would take this car. It is comfortable, automatic windows are sweet, hit the button once, window is up or down. Radio is loud and clear, could use an Aux input. Cruise control is nice. Only has the "diesel smell" when it initially start from cold and is gone as soon as you get in the car. If you don't like the smell, don't stand next to the exhaust pipe while you let your car warm up. I like the mechanical sounds, if you don't, they're not noticeable inside the car. Has decent power, you won't be praying to the "horsepower gods" when facing an interstate on-ramp. Handles great, tank in snow. I'm 6'6" and i'm comfortable, seat still has room to go back. Interior is VERY adjustable and easy to clean, even for tan. Cons: Lug bolts, need 3 hands to put wheel on. Timing belt will only last 80k, less if you are looking into an automatic. Cup holders gladly dump drinks on heavy accelerations and will proudly fill your vents and radio front, make hazards flasher switch sticky with drink splash. Hand brake placed UNDER arm rest. Finding a used golf with a broken arm rest lid, slight tear on backrest of seat are not uncommon. Trunk lid may have problems with wiring causing wiper to work intermittently and some water gets in from the tail light, not enough to mold, but noticeable dampness. That's it."

Drives great! Rides great! Love the 40 MPG!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "MPG, fuel range, drive, ride, comfort"

Cons: "As w/most diesels: soot, smell, engine noise, etc"

"With MPG close to gasoline hybrids and all the "green" benefits of a diesel, including potential to be converted to a "grease car", this car is a true bargain. Turbo provides strong acceleration. Great secure handling, surprisingly smooth and quiet ride. You don't hear much road noise or diesel clatter inside the car with the windows up. Comfortable interior with lots of room for a small car. Monsoon audio sounds good. A/C is super cold and climate controls easy to use. Some other controls are a bit unusual but work well. Has been a reliable and economical car, returning 40 MPG on B20 biodiesel with a 530 mile fuel range. If you can find one of these, and can live with it being a diesel, buy it. You won't regret it."

Warm ride

By on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Great car. Heated seats are fantastic, work very well. Starts up well, even in coldest conditions in northern New England. Best mileage achieved thus far 52. Average 42- 45. Could have a bit more room in back for adult seating, but for small family this car works well. Plenty of stow room in trunk. Rear seats fold flat and go up and down easily. Great road feel, plenty of pick up. Great lomg term traveller. Don't like the lack of warning when lights are left on. Overall a great value and a very reliable car. Highly recommended car, strong diesel performer."

Reliable, Comfortable, and Fun

By on Monday, November 22, 2010

"This vehicle runs well and looks great. It's easy to drive and people always complement on it and say how nice it looks. Comfy to ride and and drive. I drove mine over 200,000 miles and with routine maintenance it lasted well beyond my mechanics estimations."

Great Mileage

By on Sunday, January 03, 2010

"I have a 2003 GLS TDI with 186,000 mils on it. I just completed a mileage check and got 43 mpg driving in town and 54mpg on a long run. Little things keep going wrong and the parts are very expensive, more than the Mercedes i have. Other than that the car is fun to drive and the 1.9L turbo diesel has great torque so you can keep up with traffic, not like the early VW diesels where acceleration was poor and black smoke followed you!!"

2002 Golf TDI

By on Thursday, August 06, 2009

"This car was purchased new in 2001. I've put on 120,000 with only one problem, a clogged fuel filter. There is NO way I can complain about that since it was my fault it wasn't changed. There are 2 filters, I was unaware of the 2nd. The car feels very solid, shifts like a dream and is fun to drive. The car is 3000 lbs which is good to drive thru snow too. AND ...I regularly get over 50 mpg and have gotten many tanks with 58 mpg... and I'm a heavy footed driver doing jack rabbit starts etc. I wish everyone drove this car!"

Too much trouble

By on Monday, July 20, 2009

"I purchased my 1999 Volkswagen Golf in 2000. So far, I have had both the side trim and the piece that holds in the license plate simply deteriorate and fall off as well as about 3 of the hubcaps over the years. The muffler and heat shield had to be replaced within my first year owning it. I have replaced the ignition, wheel bearings and numerous other little things over the years. I have put $1500 into it in the last 6 months alone and it still needs a new throttle body. I have heard good things about the Golf. Maybe '99 just wasn't a good year. Maybe its just this individual car... Fun to drive when it was still only a few years old. Now its just an albatross."

By on Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Full of electrical problems and other things. the second my car hit 50,000 miles is turned on me. I hate it and will never buy another VW again."