2000 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Best Car in its class

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought my car 2004 with 60k and it has now 100k. Besides the normal scheduled maintenance (timing belt/water pump/brakes), I had no issues with the car whatsoever. The interior is classy, the handling/brakes are great, engine could have more HP despite the torque in low RPM. The car is way better than comparable Civics/Corollas."

50MPG's. Doesn't get recalled every week....

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

"I've owned this vehicle for 5 years now, buying it used with just under 100,000 miles. Previous owner took great care of it, as have I. People say that VW's are unreliable and expensive to fix. I would use my car as Exibit A to the contrary. During the following 106,000 miles, I have serviced the car at the recommended intervals of 10,000 miles. Which means 10 oil changes, 5 air filters(20,000 miles), 5 cabin filters(20,000 miles), and 5 diesel fuel filters(20,000 miles). I do all of the work myself, which helps with the costs, but none-the-less I have done little else to this car. The timing belt/water pump/accessory belt replacement was done at 77,000 miles by the previous owner and I had it done at 160,000(due evey 80,000) at a local dealer. That can be a little pricey($700-$1,000 depending on the dealer), but the rest of the ownership experience makes up for it. Other than that I will be putting my 3rd set of tires on this within a few weeks. The set that was on this car from the previous owner lasted me to about 115,000. The first set I put on were a sportier tire that lasted to about 145,000. I currently have Hankook Optimo H727 on it and they are the BEST tires I've ever owned. I also replaced the front brakes myself at around 150,000 miles. There was one recall open when i bought it for a Stop Lamp Switch(common to many makes/models) which the service writer took care of on the spot himself in the parking lot. Over the last 106,000 miles i have averaged 46 mpg, with several tanks of 50-52 mpg, and as low as 44mpg on winter diesel. The car has avery comfortable ride. It rides better than most others in its size class and handles better as well. VW's are known for having great ride and handling. It's a european thing. The interior is well designed. Comfortable seats. Ergonomic design. Quality materials that have worn well. More standard features than many of its competitors in this size class. Things like an 8 speaker stereo, side and head curtain air bags, alloy wheels, abs, power"

I love this car and the value can't be beat!!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Excellent fuel mileage and has held up very well!"

Cons: "Suspension is mediocre at best."

"I've owned this car since new. Other than normal maintenance it has never needed any unnecessary repairs. Never left me stranded or hating the car. That said the suspension leaves much to be desired. I don't know what VW was thinking because it is borderline terrible. Quick turns are sluggish with a lot of body roll. The engine is awesome and I've never had less that 40mpg average. Highway driving will easily give you over 50mpg. Can't beat that! Fit and finish have been great and the car doesn't really show its age at all. Hate that I'm going to have to sell for something with more room."

last year of the mk4 golf

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"this is my wifes car and after driving it a few time im in love with the car.(i love trucks only) this car broke my hate for FWD cars. i love to drive it. the only bad thing i can think of is its under powerd. but the trans shifts very very well making it so u never have to really step on the gas hard. get really great gas milage and the VW servis center is great compaired to any other i have been to. i gave 5 stars on every thing but performance,it got 4. but this is a all around 5 star car."

Reliable and solid ride

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my 2001 VW Golf TDI new near the end of 2000. At the time I was commuting 150 miles a day for work and the mileage of the diesel was the reason I settled for this car. It now has 218,000 miles on it and shows no sign of fading. I tend to the minor maintenance myself, things like oil changes, brake replacement, lights, etc. The diesel engine has always started for me. It seems to struggle to stay running when the temperatures are below -10 degrees or when I park it overnight in the high elevations of Western Colorado. But it has never failed me. Because of it's inherent effeciency, the diesel engine doesn't warm up quickly, in fact it has electric heaters to warm up the engine coolant when it's cold. This car drives well, rides well and handles well. It's not for the races but has ample power for most situations. But what sets this car apart from all others,including Toyota Prius's is it's fuel economy. My normal driving habits result in fuel mileage of 50 to 52 MPG on the newer ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. When I burn B99 bio-diesel it gets slighly less, maybe 49 MPG. My best tank of fuel at 774 miles was 57.6 MPG but that was in the days of low sulphur diesel fuel. Driving between Denver and Knoxville I fill up once in western Missouri. Overall, I like this car but I probably won't try to keep it beyond 350,000 miles unless it's running really strong. I highly recommend this car to people like me who are DIY'ers and don't like spending limited resources on fuel."