2000 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

A Supurb Vehicle if Wel Maintained

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"2001 VW Golf 2.0 GLS 5-speed 89,500 miles I have shared this vehicle with my wife for the past 5 years and have virtually no complaints. Have I had to replace parts? Of course. Were some of them a tad pricey? Sure. Have some of the Bosche sensors dies prematurely? Yup. This car is not without it's quirks and if you're looking for a maintenance-free vehicle that will cost you almost nothing to keep on the road, then buy Japanese. It's simple. However, if you enjoy the act of driving: coming into corners a little hot, a feeling of being connected to the road through both the steering and drivetrain and enjoy a massive amount of utility all at 30+ mpg than this is the car to buy. There's nothing else on the market that offers this level of fun, economy and utilty even for twice the money. Find yourself an independent mechanic whom you trust and fix issues when they arise. Become his best friend and he'll save you money on parts. If properly maintained, this car should provide you with many, many years of reliable, fun and utilitarian-packed enjoyment. Issues I've found: - MAF (mass air flow meter) will not last. Since the cars are manufactured in Brazil, these parts are more money and NOT interchangeable with the Jetta or Beetle engines. - ABS wheel-speed sensor/brake wire sensor - Window regulators (can buy on eBay or form your local pick-n'-pull - Catalytic converter may rust from the outside in. Keep clean in winter... road salt will kill this vehicle. - Shocks will go around 60-80k (especially rear if you haul stuff a lot...which you should since you bought a Golf) - Lights will blow out... brakelight, headlights, blinkers. All are easy to replace. Do an internet search and you'll be surprised how easy it is. - I advise against using a reusable air filter like K&N. VW finally admitted that using them is bad... the oil on the cotton filter will foul the MAF ($220 actual cost) - These engines (2.0L only) eat oil. Top off at 1,500 miles and get regular oil changes at 3,000. The car will run rough and let you know when it needs an oil change. Pay attention to the vehicle, keep it well-maintained and it will be a wonderful car. After a few years, you'll begin to think about which VW model you'll want next. I personally own a 1999 BMW 328i convertible and get as much enjoyment out of the Golf as I do out of the Bahn-stomper BMW."

Little war horse. Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Safe, never broke down, mpg, affordable maint."

Cons: "I got emotionally attached."

"Hands down, I absolutely love this car. That's saying a lot, being that I am a car buff. I bought it used from a certified VW dealer in 2008 with 27k miles. It NEVER broke down. The only thing I needed the warranty for was to replace a wheel barring (~$1k job). The oil is easy to change yourself, as is all other routine maintenance (also affordable at an honest garage). I was in love. It was as fun to drive as a loaded rally car, but not crazy enough to be targeted by police. 4 doors = a must. When the back seats are put down, there's tons of cargo space. Oh, and great speakers. The dash displays are nice too (blue and red color scheme). If you are worried about driving a small car because of safety, I hear you. However, I commuted 60 miles (hwy) in this car a day and it kept me safe. No blind spots, too. Last month, I got rear ended at a stop light by a big Toyota pickup going 50mph. The kid was texting or something. My Golf was pushed into the Volvo in front of me... and it was totaled. I was well enough to get myself out of the car, but did go to the hospital. If i was in a Civic hatchback, it would have been another story. I miss this car terribly and am grateful it kept me safe (perhaps even saved my life). Those Germans know how to design a good frame and crumple zones..."

great car!!

By on Friday, October 09, 2009

"Bought this car in 2003 was 2 years old had 35k miles. 225,000 miles now no major problems other than regular maintenance, front axle broke because of a road hazard.first timing belt change at 190k miles and it still looked like new also replaced the water pump w/the timing belt but it wasnt leaking yet.I did have to replace the front struts but that was after 180k miles, the front wheel bearings went twice so far, and the front doors power windows kept breaking but VW fixed them for free everytime even after the warranty expired because they had a recall on them. Besides that nothing else still original clutch and no signs of going soon, the engine runs quiet and very smooth, chck engine light came on on humid or rainy days because the ignition wires needed replacing. Great car if maintained properly and not abused. I think I'll be good for at least another 100 to 150 K miles.a couple of annoying small problems besides the power windows regulator is the head lights frequent burning, they wont last more than 6 months."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "suspension too soft, quality of the interior"

"The car is fun to drive and handles well. The GL model has a softly sprung suspension and it does not do well over roads with pot holes. The gas mileage is good, I seldom have to fill it up. I had to replace the cooling fan and coolant sensor as well as the front strut mounts and left front wheel bearing. Other than that, I've had no other problems. The cooling fan seems to be a common problem based on other reviews that I've read. The beige interior is hard to keep clean and the fabric is pulling away from the front door panels and the head liner is starting to pull away in the front. The estimate for a new headliner and to re upholster the door panels is $300. The battery fails without warning consistently every 4 years as I am on the third battery."

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

VW = FUN

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holders"

"There is something special about a Volkswagen, they drive like nothing else on the road. The handling of this car is no exception, it sticks to the road like glue and goes exactly where you point it. The Golf can be either sporty or economic and a little bit of both. I get about 30mpg on average with the 2.0L automatic, and other then some normal expected issues the car is very reliable. We've taken it on long trips with no issues. If I could afford a new one, I'd buy it... but even buying a used one has been a great experience."

1/2 pint says it all

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "great all around"

"After driving and loving my 1986 VW Golf 4dr hatchback, manual transmission I decided that it was time for some air conditioning. So I went and found one as close to my 1st love as possible. Finally found one, 2005 VW Golf TDI 4dr hatchback, manual transmission. The only differance was that this one came with a sunroof, power everything and the color. Just as was expected, the mileage was the same. It will cost you just about a "1/2 pint" of gas/diesel to go any where. New, on the highway on a 12 gallon tank, I went 513 miles with the A/C blowing as fast and as cold as it would blow. City on that same tank, I went 445 miles. Very satisfied. After 8 years of driving, still very satisfied. Highway, is about 455 miles and city is 395 miles. I fill up about every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I drive. It now costs me about $43.00 to fill up, as compared to 8 years ago at about $28.00. The worst part about my car is that my interior is tan in color. With 8 years of driving and 2 kids, the interior could use a good steam cleaning. So for all of you who have had poor service from your VW, rest assured that every manufacturer has a "lemon" in the line up. Don't give up yet, there are definately great serving vehicles out there."

I love my Golf

By on Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I bought my Golf new and have put almost 90,000 miles on it in ten years of mixed city and highway driving. It has had very few problems along the way and always gets a clean bill of health at oil changes and tune-ups. Like other VWs I've owned, it came with far more standard features than comparably-priced Toyotas, Hondas, etc., with the additional benefit of being great fun to drive. It's peppy, goes from zero to 60 without even blinking, and handles like a much more expensive car. The fuel economy isn't great--I get about 23-24 miles in city driving and less than 30 on the highway--but it's acceptable. My only complaint is that the interior hasn't held up all that well: the straps on the hatch cover broke; the back seat no longer locks in the normal position; the knob for the side-view mirror adjustment broke long ago, so mirrors have to be adjusted manually. But those minor complaints aside, my Golf has been a joy to drive."

the art of German engineering!

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Until I got my 2002 Golf, my favorite car had been my 82 Honda Accord hatchback, but this has outdone that car! Almost as reliable (but not quite), and endless fun to drive, handles wonderfully, stable, holds corners and curves to give a thrill to driving. Up to 112,000 miles now, and my Golf still runs like a much newer car, is still stylish and fresh looking, although gas mileage has dropped 4-5 mpg with age. I keep up with all scheduled maintenance at VW dealer (a bit pricey), but it seems worth it, since the car is running so well. I love that it runs like a peppy, sporty car, is very responsive, yet hauls all sorts of large objects, e.g. camping gear, two bikes inside, or even a dishwasher, and fits in tight city parking spaces easily. Minor annoyances are plastic parts that break off, not being able to change a headlight without taking to the dealer, and the frequency with which rear lights burn out-at least I can get to them to change them myself! Love the Golf, would highly recommend it to others. Works great as an only car for two person household, but my friends love me to swap with them if I need to borrow a minivan or truck to move really big stuff, or take 6 or 7 folks somewhere!"

Worst seat material ever

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Purchased car new, covered 58,000 miles in 5 years, Handling very good, average 33 mpg overall, best was 42 mpg in hot weather. Rear brake pads wear out twice as fast as fronts there is no warning light for the rear pads, only the front. My model had cloth seats without a doubt the worst material ever (a static magnet for dust and cat hair) High sulphur diesel fuel presents a major problem of carbon build-up in the turbo, only recently can you buy low sulphur fuel here in USA. Strong engine the best ever traction in snow. Twice the car was towed into VW dealer because it wouldn't start in zero degees. Tires only 60% worn after 58,000 miles. The AC unit is pushed to the limits in mid 90 degree weather."

Best Car in its class

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought my car 2004 with 60k and it has now 100k. Besides the normal scheduled maintenance (timing belt/water pump/brakes), I had no issues with the car whatsoever. The interior is classy, the handling/brakes are great, engine could have more HP despite the torque in low RPM. The car is way better than comparable Civics/Corollas."

50MPG's. Doesn't get recalled every week....

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

"I've owned this vehicle for 5 years now, buying it used with just under 100,000 miles. Previous owner took great care of it, as have I. People say that VW's are unreliable and expensive to fix. I would use my car as Exibit A to the contrary. During the following 106,000 miles, I have serviced the car at the recommended intervals of 10,000 miles. Which means 10 oil changes, 5 air filters(20,000 miles), 5 cabin filters(20,000 miles), and 5 diesel fuel filters(20,000 miles). I do all of the work myself, which helps with the costs, but none-the-less I have done little else to this car. The timing belt/water pump/accessory belt replacement was done at 77,000 miles by the previous owner and I had it done at 160,000(due evey 80,000) at a local dealer. That can be a little pricey($700-$1,000 depending on the dealer), but the rest of the ownership experience makes up for it. Other than that I will be putting my 3rd set of tires on this within a few weeks. The set that was on this car from the previous owner lasted me to about 115,000. The first set I put on were a sportier tire that lasted to about 145,000. I currently have Hankook Optimo H727 on it and they are the BEST tires I've ever owned. I also replaced the front brakes myself at around 150,000 miles. There was one recall open when i bought it for a Stop Lamp Switch(common to many makes/models) which the service writer took care of on the spot himself in the parking lot. Over the last 106,000 miles i have averaged 46 mpg, with several tanks of 50-52 mpg, and as low as 44mpg on winter diesel. The car has avery comfortable ride. It rides better than most others in its size class and handles better as well. VW's are known for having great ride and handling. It's a european thing. The interior is well designed. Comfortable seats. Ergonomic design. Quality materials that have worn well. More standard features than many of its competitors in this size class. Things like an 8 speaker stereo, side and head curtain air bags, alloy wheels, abs, power"

I love this car and the value can't be beat!!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Excellent fuel mileage and has held up very well!"

Cons: "Suspension is mediocre at best."

"I've owned this car since new. Other than normal maintenance it has never needed any unnecessary repairs. Never left me stranded or hating the car. That said the suspension leaves much to be desired. I don't know what VW was thinking because it is borderline terrible. Quick turns are sluggish with a lot of body roll. The engine is awesome and I've never had less that 40mpg average. Highway driving will easily give you over 50mpg. Can't beat that! Fit and finish have been great and the car doesn't really show its age at all. Hate that I'm going to have to sell for something with more room."

last year of the mk4 golf

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"this is my wifes car and after driving it a few time im in love with the car.(i love trucks only) this car broke my hate for FWD cars. i love to drive it. the only bad thing i can think of is its under powerd. but the trans shifts very very well making it so u never have to really step on the gas hard. get really great gas milage and the VW servis center is great compaired to any other i have been to. i gave 5 stars on every thing but performance,it got 4. but this is a all around 5 star car."

Reliable and solid ride

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my 2001 VW Golf TDI new near the end of 2000. At the time I was commuting 150 miles a day for work and the mileage of the diesel was the reason I settled for this car. It now has 218,000 miles on it and shows no sign of fading. I tend to the minor maintenance myself, things like oil changes, brake replacement, lights, etc. The diesel engine has always started for me. It seems to struggle to stay running when the temperatures are below -10 degrees or when I park it overnight in the high elevations of Western Colorado. But it has never failed me. Because of it's inherent effeciency, the diesel engine doesn't warm up quickly, in fact it has electric heaters to warm up the engine coolant when it's cold. This car drives well, rides well and handles well. It's not for the races but has ample power for most situations. But what sets this car apart from all others,including Toyota Prius's is it's fuel economy. My normal driving habits result in fuel mileage of 50 to 52 MPG on the newer ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. When I burn B99 bio-diesel it gets slighly less, maybe 49 MPG. My best tank of fuel at 774 miles was 57.6 MPG but that was in the days of low sulphur diesel fuel. Driving between Denver and Knoxville I fill up once in western Missouri. Overall, I like this car but I probably won't try to keep it beyond 350,000 miles unless it's running really strong. I highly recommend this car to people like me who are DIY'ers and don't like spending limited resources on fuel."

Great deal.

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Bought my VW Golf 2000 6 years ago with about 38k miles, car has over 140k miles now. Never broke down and left me on the side of the road. Fun to drive in town, but not real comfortable for long trips. Although I drive it from Phoenix to Vegas regularly. Unless you can afford a BMW or Benz, still with a VW. Better than an Audi and a lot less expensive to repair."

Great mileage!

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"I've never gotten less than 42mpg in my Golf TDI...and that's in town! I've owned it for 3yrs now, and so far, so good on the electricals and integrity, but I've heard some horrow stories. I only have 17,000 miles on it, so we'll see. The performance leaves a bit to be desired, but with the max torque being produced at 1800rpm, downshifting is never a necessity. I can cruise around at 35mph in 5th gear with no problems. It's a small car and although roomy for a small hatchback, the backseat is almost useless for people. If you have kids, only 1 seat will realistically fit in the back (in the middle) and it's a pain to get them in/out. We always use my wife's minivan to go anywhere, even though it gets less than half the mileage. Overall, a satisfying car with unbeatable gas mileage. I hope my good luck with reliablility continues. If not, the resale value (due to gas prices I assume) is almost what I paid for it!"

150,000 and strong

By on Monday, October 01, 2007

"bought the car new in '03'. replaced only the water pump and a battery. lacks horsepower but the gas mileage makes up for it. sounds great with intake on it and looks fantastic after 4 years. i would recommend a vw to anyone looking to buy a new car."

Good enough car, but should be better

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Nice small hatchback. Looks great, especially the interior finish ... as good as an Audi. Had several warranty issues, so a bit annoying. One warranty issue led to premature break replacement at my own cost after warranty expired. Needs more power (the '07 Rabbit should have this problem fixed). Seems to hold its value well. I just hope that the electronics don't start failing me. So far, so good. Fingers crossed."

Awesome Car

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"This car is awesome. Super fast and a blast to drive. Test drive one and you'll buy it. I've owned mine since 50k and is now at 80k with no problems. Definately suggest this car to anyone interested in it."

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Absolutly love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"I have been a chevy man for the last 6 years then i started looking in to vw cause of the gas milage they get i dont think i will ever get away from the vw line of cars there great for different types of people there still easy to work on not to expencive to repair and they are easy to get aftermarket parts for"

LOVE my car!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, reliable car!"

Cons: "No heated seats. Not fancy looking. Big deal!"

"I have been driving this car for almost 7 years, and I absolutely love it. I just dropped it off for routine maintenance, and driving a 2012 Nissan has me missing my baby like crazy. It's 11 years old now, but has never left me stranded on the side of the road, has never had anything under the hood go out, hugs the road like crazy (I commute over California's notorious, winding Highway 17 daily) with the body of the GTI racecar, gets 40-45 miles per gallon, and is just the best car ever. People keep asking when I plan to upgrade to a newer car... I tell them when my car finally dies - considering most of these cars get 300-500,000 miles and I'm at 146,000, providing I don't get in an accident, it will be a while. The best car ever. When it is time to say goodbye, I will be so upset!"

You can't beat a TDI for fuel economy

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "drives well, plenty of space for small car, 49MPG"

Cons: "Interior plastic falls apart after a few years"

"49 miles per gallon on diesel and US Specs. This car goes over 100 MPH on the autobahn. After 10 years and 135000 miles it still drives smooth. The torque of the TDI engine makes all the difference. Forget about horsepower unless you are racing. Plenty of interior room. Plenty of trunk space. The only problems we had were: 1. replaced the water pump at 100,000, transmission and clutch at 130,000 miles. The only thing I don't like about the car is that the interior plastic parts got brittle after 5 years in the florida sun and the break easily. GLove box handle, parking break button, and center console all broken. But the car is like a tank. It just keeps going and getting great efficiency. Drives great!"

Not a VW fan, but this is a great car!

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Decent power, ~42MPG, roomy, Power everything."

Cons: "Cup holders, timing belt, lug bolts."

"I bought this car with two things in mind: fuel economy, transportation. Seems reasonable, right? I was recommended this car by a fellow mechanic friend who has one and I bought this particular one seven months prior to me writing this review. Since initial purchase ($3k) and working out of minor things a car with 261k miles would need (wheel bearing $50, 4 Springs $200, timing belt $300, turbo $400 I do my own work) I have had no complaints. I'm at 276k now, on my second oil change ($45 lubro-moly and filter done every 10k if you do it yourself) I know my car is reliable for a very long time. If you live in a northern "salt belt" state, the body doesn't rust, maybe a front fender. For 16,000 miles in travel I've done in 7 months, it has costed me $1,416 in fuel @ an average $4.01 a gallon for diesel. At 42 mpg, it costs me $.10 a mile to travel the 63 miles I travel almost everyday. I know people who spend $1400 in 2 months for less miles traveled. If I had to go to Florida in a weekend with a friend, I would take this car. It is comfortable, automatic windows are sweet, hit the button once, window is up or down. Radio is loud and clear, could use an Aux input. Cruise control is nice. Only has the "diesel smell" when it initially start from cold and is gone as soon as you get in the car. If you don't like the smell, don't stand next to the exhaust pipe while you let your car warm up. I like the mechanical sounds, if you don't, they're not noticeable inside the car. Has decent power, you won't be praying to the "horsepower gods" when facing an interstate on-ramp. Handles great, tank in snow. I'm 6'6" and i'm comfortable, seat still has room to go back. Interior is VERY adjustable and easy to clean, even for tan. Cons: Lug bolts, need 3 hands to put wheel on. Timing belt will only last 80k, less if you are looking into an automatic. Cup holders gladly dump drinks on heavy accelerations and will proudly fill your vents and radio front, make hazards flasher switch sticky with drink splash. Hand brake placed UNDER arm rest. Finding a used golf with a broken arm rest lid, slight tear on backrest of seat are not uncommon. Trunk lid may have problems with wiring causing wiper to work intermittently and some water gets in from the tail light, not enough to mold, but noticeable dampness. That's it."