1999 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 124 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

Great Road Trip Car

By on Sunday, April 05, 2009

"In the past, I've owned sporty little cars, but this Golf has been the most pleasing. I love it for it's spaciousness, great gas mileage, and of course its reliability. I recommend this car to anyone!"

1998 GL 2.0

By on Monday, March 23, 2009

"I drove this car like it was an autocrosser. having an upgraded clutch and flywheel really help the car. Overall, the car was really reliable. Great in the snow. Never hesitated to take it up to 130mph. I loved my Golf, im currently looking for another!"

By on Friday, March 20, 2009

270,000 miles so far.....

By on Thursday, February 05, 2009

"1995 Golf Sport 2.0L: I bought mine with 50k miles on it in '99 and drive it for work every day. The only way you can tell its age is by the many rust spots on the rear hatch. Common problem with the Mexican 95 and 96 cars. Sure, I've had my share of repairs (ignition coil, power steering pump, belts, valve cover and oil pan seals, 4 mufflers, 3 sets of brakes, water pump, shocks, tie rods, wires, shifter fork, door latch, dipstick stalk, etc.) and some options are too expensive to repair (Moonroof, dealer installed cruise) but it still goes!!! Gonna sell this to a friend for $500. I got my money's worth out of it!! I put a Neuspeed strut brace on and it is STILL fun to whip around corners. ANd it still has the ORIGINAL CLUTCH!!! wow."

Above Average

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I purchased this car (1998 VR6 Driver's Edition) to replace my 1995 Civic EX. I hadn't thought the V-Dub would be as good as the Civic, but it surprised me. The only problem I had with mine (which was apparently a common problem) was the power windows had to be replaced as the motors stripped their gears. My passenger side window had to be replaced twice. It took my aggressive driving well, and even forgave me for hill-topping it. It finally was conquered by sliding on the ice and hitting another car. (apparently air-bags are a pain to fix). Before it was totalled, I had managed to put over 160K miles of hard driving into it without it having any major mechanical failure. It had surprisingly good performance considering the price you pay. While it won't keep up with a 350z, or an M3, it'll take your average Honda any day. If you're looking to buy one, it's definitely worth the trouble of finding one."

Most reliable car I've owned

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"I am reluctantly offering my 1997 Golf for sale. I am the original owner and it has been the most reliable car I've owned. It has never broken down. It has been very economical to maintain. Seats are comfortable. There is ample room in the back seat. Visibility is excellent compared to other cars I've driven."

awesome

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"great car, not may probles, a few minor problems but nothing serious, trunk and glovebox lights dont work and my ignition coil just went but $18 on eBay and its up and running again, mine is lowered with a cat-back exhaust on it so the engine noise is pretty loud but i wouldnt have it any other way! the ride is bumpy but thats what happens when you have cut springs (haha) this is my 3rd vw in 4 years and its my favorite so far!! also with the notorious "2.sl0w" motor in it its allot faster then i ever expected!! i love it!! VW FOR LIFE!!!"

Good Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I have owned this car for almost 2 years now, and i have very little things go wrong with it. the last thing that went wrong was the starter, which will go on anything really, i have 152000 miles on it now and it still gets up and goes. I have done some work to it, and everything i do to it just makes it better and better. i would tell a friend to get one."

undependable

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"This car has more problems than my 1971 AMC Eagle. The oil leaks a little. The anti-freeze also leaks. The blinkers don't work. some of the exhuast fell out. the tumblers (where you put the key in to unlock the car) doesnt work. Instead of turning they just slide right out of the door. The oil pump quit working about a week ago so it doesn't start at all. The starter doesn't work, so i had to put in a push button start and that still doesn't work very well either. the back hatch doesnt open when you push the button, and last but not least the left wind sheild wiper doesn't work. If i would have known what kind of car I was buying I would have started running in the other direction. It only has 167,000 miles on it and it currently has seven or eight problems."

My car

By on Monday, December 01, 2008

"Definitely reliable, Very -Uncomfortable- when trying to sit in the back seat, but it gets from a- to- b"

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

1996 Golf GTI VR6 - 5 Speed

By on Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Overall, Volkswagen GTI's sold to the U.S. market since 1991 have been built in Mexico (or Brazil from 1999 - 2005) and thus quality control has been an issue. Hence why current GTI models as of 2006 and newer are built in Germany. As much fun as my car is to drive, I've had ongoing problems since purchasing it as a 2nd owner initially with 95,000 miles. I have invested $$ to keep the car up to par, but to no avail as minor and major issues keep cropping up. Repairs as well as parts can be expensive so beware if you are financially strapped. I understand that as any car gets older and and has more mileage, normal wear and tear is normal. Still, compared to contemporary domestic, Japanese and other European models, most Volkswagen models have lagged behind in quality and reliability when you take into consideration the same mileage and years of ownership. My first car was a 1973 VW Superbeetle and it took me through high school, college and medical school. Superb quality and Superb reliability. It's unfortunate that Volkswagen which wrote the book on quality has now lost that winning formula."

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Classic Hatchback Design

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"Bought a '96 with 80k on the clock and 8 years later its turning 200k next tank. Did all the regular maintenance a car would need along the way and its been a great ride. The engine isn't that great in stock form, but very economical. With basic chip, intake, exhaust and lightened flywheel the car really comes alive and achieves a classic peppy hatchback. I recently had the transmission rebuilt and expect to push close to 300k miles before I need another daily driver. Engine is starting to blow a little smoke pulling out of the driveway on some mornings, I'm told new valve stem seals will fix this (easy to reach if you're having a sport cam shaft installed). Makes a great snow car if you get dedicated winter tires, I've never had a problem driving to the local mountain. Average 35mpg on long distance drives and mid 20s mixed driving. Super easy to work on if you want to DIY. The 4cyl GTI is basic car, with little frills or things to go wrong. Great upright driving position, in supportive comfortable seats, life is great in a GTI! In the last year I've replaced ignition switch, shifter bushings, e-brake cable, hoses, heater core. Was the first expensive year, everything else has been scheduled maintenance."

Definately worth it

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"This car is great and lasts a long time. A lot of fun to drive with exceptional "pep". The 5 speed manual is the way to go if you're looking for a fun drive. This car is definately with looking at when deciding on a new car"

Would buy again without a second thought

By on Friday, September 05, 2008

"I got this car with a little under 40K on it and at 48K I had to do some basic repairs because it as is per the norm. Other than that this car has been outstanding. Have only had to do your basic repairs without any major issues. I had to replace the clutch cable about 3 years ago and at 10 years old it needs a new gear shifter and bushings, but that has been the only issue in the 6 years I have owned it. Repairs would be expensive, but going to VW ONLY shops helps a lot. They aren't the cheapest for parts, but since they don't need many repairs it isn't an issue. This car handles like it was glued to the ground (believe me, I have run it like a rally car and it takes whatever I give it). While I would like a little more power out of it, for what it does have it is a little bullet! I love this car and will drive it until I have to push it and then I will buy a new one!"

Great value - fun to drive

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"I've driven this car 100K fun miles in past 8 years. Needed typical wear & tear repairs (muffler, struts, brakes, etc.) but nothing major and car never stranded me. Parts & repairs generally cheap compared to other vehicles. Zippy car to drive. I average 30mpg and have amazed people with what can fit in the back when seats are down. Would buy again in a heartbeat!"

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

great little guy

By on Monday, June 30, 2008

"i traded my 98 jetta gt for my 96 golf and never looked back. it's been awesome and have taken it up to the mountains, in to the deserts and everywhere in between. besides some small stuff it's been holding up great. the small frame gets in to the tightest parking spots and fairly good fuel economy too. it's not fast but gets around quickly."

Extremely Versatile, High MPG

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"Since our daughter arrived and we bought a Forrester, our 97 Golf has been downgraded to secondary vehicle. Still a great car though after 117K miles. I took on road trip about a month ago and clocked 36 mpg driving about 65 mph - better than its rating! With a sunroof, you can haul almost anything - 10ft lumber, large area rugs, whatever. Who needs a truck when you can stick it through the sunroof? Bought it new 11 years ago; kept up with regular maintenance and never had a major problem."

Good Gas Saver

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"I have had my 97 Golf for over a year and it has paid for itself with the gas savings. I did have some problems with the drivers side CVU axile. Be careful ordering parts on line, they don't always match up. Good fun car though with plenty of pep."