1999 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 126 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

Best Car Ive ever owned

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "Ole Reliable, great AC and heater."

Cons: "Pho cup holders"

"The ole VW has 250,000 miles on it and is still going strong. No rust, the seats and interior are good and it drives like new. True I have had to periodically replace parts but its a keeper. We never add oil, when its down a quart we change it with Mobil 1 high mileage and we get 7000 miles between changes. !!! Its still our road trip car and gets 33mpg highway."

Very functional and reliable vehicle!

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and very functional; great value"

Cons: "Road noise, ugly car"

"I bought this car used from an ex-girlfriend. I hate it from a sytle point but it is one heck of a vehicle. The aluminum roof rack is very strong; I've stacked multiple ladders on top of it with no worries at all. The rear seats fold down in a snap and open up a very large cargo space. It gets good gas mileage for its period. It's never failed to get me where I need to go; just minor stuff to keep her going. I just replaced all of the plugs, filters, and O2 sensors and the brakes were overhauled last year, and she has years of service left in her. The interior is in great shape due to the durability of the materials VW built it with. The 2.0 liter engine is not strong but this is not a sports car anyway; it is certainly adequate. The moonroof is a great feature. About my only complaint is a lot of road and air flow noise at highway speeds, but that is expected on such an economy car of this period."

Runs well, Quiet, Comfortable...XLNT MPG 30-38

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive even long distance, a little wagon"

Cons: "room for 4 occasionally 5"

"Though aging this little car is a true gem. Excellent mileage. Ample comfort. Fun to drive.It can haul goods like a small station wagon."

:D

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Fun reliable car gets you to where you need to go with great mpg."

Safe car, fun to drive -- but expensive to fix

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"I bought the 1997 VW Golf GI 4-door hatchback used from first owner in 2011. Within 4 months, it began a regular pattern of breaking down. Clutch and fly wheel were biggest repairs. It has never gone more than 6 months without a major repair. Parts are getting expensive, but the unique arrangement of the transmission.motor means mechanics often have to lift transmission out to fix. Parts -- $200. Labor -- $400. I don't recommend buying this car unless you have a good mechanic thoroughly check it out. However, it's probably well known that as VW's age, parts & repair will be more than the average car. Buyer beware."

Excellent, reliable, fun to drive car.

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "peppy, good handling, fun to drive, roomy interior"

Cons: "rear cupholder broke; gas mileage fair"

"I bought my Golf GL in March 1998 and still have it as of October 2013. I thought I would buy a Japanese car but test drove the Golf as part of thorough research and was instantly converted. It is very peppy and maneuverable and fun to drive (I have a manual transmission--don't know about the automatic version). It has been very reliable, the clutch has had to be replaced but after 208,000 miles I expect to wear that out. Other than that it did develop an oil leak last year. I have heard VW cars have electrical problems and this one did have the Service Engine light come on twice for no reason when it was fairly new but I took it into the dealership and they figured out nothing was wrong and got it to turn off. I love the handling and it has headroom for my six-foot tall husband and plenty of room for two kids in the backseat. My only wish is that it got better gas mileage (I am able to get about 30 mpg which is not bad, but not as good as some other small cars). I would highly recommend this car and have been very happy with it."

Not a bad little car

By on Friday, July 23, 2010

"First off I would not recommend it simply because of its age. Buying a car thats 15 years old is just asking for trouble. Ive had my car for about 5 years now. Bought it at 87,000 miles and shes up to 123,000 now. The exhaust has fallen off completely, cat and all. The radiator mount has rusted out and is now held up by wires, the floorboard behind drivers seat is rusting out, ABS light has been on for years, leaked oil and coolant, and the trunk wont open anymore. All dealable problems and to be expected for a car this old but I love my car. Its comfortable, sporty, great gas mileage (drive 60mi round trip 3-4 days a week and olny put $20 in) and just all around fun. I wish I could have gotten it new. Oh yeah the speedometer stopped working too lol"

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"I've driven my Golf A LOT, with only a couple of minor problems. The timing belt broke. And I've noticed that sometimes the airbag light comes on randomly. Any problems were/are expected considering the car was 13 years old when I got it. I love my Golf, and plan on driving it until it drives no more."

This has been a great, safe reliable vehicle for m

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "fast, safe,smooth,tight, handling,great stereo"

Cons: "paint is ionized after 12 years"

"Loved this car from the start. Always felt safe. Size was deceiving. Moved a ton of items. 2 queen size headboards one time. For many years had another vehicle and husband had a work truck. This just sat. After 2 years thought we'd better do something with it and it just started right up. Never broke down and it just won't die. We just had to keep it.Its been a 3rd vehicle untill now and it just keeps going. Best feature to me is that I love that style has not changed. It does not look like a 20 year old car. I have had no major problems with this car. From consumer reports etc I would not have bought another one from what I have read..until now. I went the other day to kill time and sat in the 2015. Wow. Will research further and just possible be another golf owner."

i love my little car..

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "dependable, fun and economical.."

Cons: "expensive parts..."

"My little vw golf is the best car I have ever owned, the parts are expensive but it's so easy to work on yourself that a child can repair anything that ever goes wrong with it. If you keep up regular maintenance , this little car will stay as dependable as if it were new.... best car ever"

COOL CAR!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"BEST 6CYL ENGINE EVER PRODUCED IN MY OPINION. THE SHIFTING IS SILKY SMOOTH AND VERY RELIABLE OVERALL. THE INTERIOR DESIGN IS TIMELESS AS WITH THE EXTERIOR STYLING."

horrible car

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Reason: stopped working

Pros: "good gas milage, comftable, and big space inside"

Cons: "parts expensive, breaks down easily"

"I fell in love with the car when I saw it but after 6 months of nothing but problems I hated that car. The parts are expensive, its very hard to find a good mechanic for it and once it has a problem it will break down every chance it gets. Horrible horrible car"

Terrible Car

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"I have owned 4 VW Golf's and you would think I would have learned. This is like driving a 1979 Chevy. All I do is order very very expensive parts. Just replaced a $600 window regulator and motor!. OH YEAH this was the 5TH one!!! Just to give you and idea what kind of build quality we are talking here. Every week it is something. Now the coolant sensor is bad and blinks at me constantly. So unless you are a person who works on cars yourself don't ever buy one. You can't afford to own it. And that goes for Audi too. It's the same company same build quality. They are the best looking cars on the road but that is only skin deep."

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"This a really nice car i have it and put lambo doors on it. it is faster than my Honda Civic"

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

Poor vehicle

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Mechanically unsafe. Poor engineering. Keeps falling apart"

best vehicle I've owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "there's no cup holders"

"i think the car is fun to drive and i like the way it handles and the performance of the car. it looks sharp when you look at it i told my self for years i'm never going to buy one of those cars. I bought one and i love the car."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Parts can get expensive."

"I have owned this car going on 6 years now. When I first purchased the vehicle it already had 203,000 miles on it and the previous owner had severely neglected it. But if you fix them up right it goes to show you how reliable these vehicles are. Just hit 318000 miles on it last week and she's still kicking."

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

undependable

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"This car has more problems than my 1971 AMC Eagle. The oil leaks a little. The anti-freeze also leaks. The blinkers don't work. some of the exhuast fell out. the tumblers (where you put the key in to unlock the car) doesnt work. Instead of turning they just slide right out of the door. The oil pump quit working about a week ago so it doesn't start at all. The starter doesn't work, so i had to put in a push button start and that still doesn't work very well either. the back hatch doesnt open when you push the button, and last but not least the left wind sheild wiper doesn't work. If i would have known what kind of car I was buying I would have started running in the other direction. It only has 167,000 miles on it and it currently has seven or eight problems."

By on Monday, September 27, 2010

Can get your from a to b

By on Saturday, September 05, 2009

"there are a few dings and scratches in the paint. new transmission in it."