1999 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 126 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

most reliable old car

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "gas milage, relability, comfort"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"I bought this car over a year ago just to get around. I haven't had any problems. The diesel engine is the best part. I only fuel up every 3 weeks!"

Great little first car!

By on Monday, April 26, 2010

"Bought this car for my son as his first car, and it's been dependable. Few little issues ie: clips on the carberator broke, ignition coil. But there are so many of them being junked finding parts has been easy and cheap.Since my son likes to tinker, he does his own repairs."

great car

By on Friday, June 05, 2009

"I just sold my beautiful 95 vw golf city. Well worth what I paid. Highly recommend to anyone looking for reliable transportation with lots of room & fuel economy."

1996 Golf GTI VR6 - 5 Speed

By on Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Overall, Volkswagen GTI's sold to the U.S. market since 1991 have been built in Mexico (or Brazil from 1999 - 2005) and thus quality control has been an issue. Hence why current GTI models as of 2006 and newer are built in Germany. As much fun as my car is to drive, I've had ongoing problems since purchasing it as a 2nd owner initially with 95,000 miles. I have invested $$ to keep the car up to par, but to no avail as minor and major issues keep cropping up. Repairs as well as parts can be expensive so beware if you are financially strapped. I understand that as any car gets older and and has more mileage, normal wear and tear is normal. Still, compared to contemporary domestic, Japanese and other European models, most Volkswagen models have lagged behind in quality and reliability when you take into consideration the same mileage and years of ownership. My first car was a 1973 VW Superbeetle and it took me through high school, college and medical school. Superb quality and Superb reliability. It's unfortunate that Volkswagen which wrote the book on quality has now lost that winning formula."

Classic Hatchback Design

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"Bought a '96 with 80k on the clock and 8 years later its turning 200k next tank. Did all the regular maintenance a car would need along the way and its been a great ride. The engine isn't that great in stock form, but very economical. With basic chip, intake, exhaust and lightened flywheel the car really comes alive and achieves a classic peppy hatchback. I recently had the transmission rebuilt and expect to push close to 300k miles before I need another daily driver. Engine is starting to blow a little smoke pulling out of the driveway on some mornings, I'm told new valve stem seals will fix this (easy to reach if you're having a sport cam shaft installed). Makes a great snow car if you get dedicated winter tires, I've never had a problem driving to the local mountain. Average 35mpg on long distance drives and mid 20s mixed driving. Super easy to work on if you want to DIY. The 4cyl GTI is basic car, with little frills or things to go wrong. Great upright driving position, in supportive comfortable seats, life is great in a GTI! In the last year I've replaced ignition switch, shifter bushings, e-brake cable, hoses, heater core. Was the first expensive year, everything else has been scheduled maintenance."