1999 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 124 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

i love my little car..

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "dependable, fun and economical.."

Cons: "expensive parts..."

"My little vw golf is the best car I have ever owned, the parts are expensive but it's so easy to work on yourself that a child can repair anything that ever goes wrong with it. If you keep up regular maintenance , this little car will stay as dependable as if it were new.... best car ever"

Safe car, fun to drive -- but expensive to fix

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"I bought the 1997 VW Golf GI 4-door hatchback used from first owner in 2011. Within 4 months, it began a regular pattern of breaking down. Clutch and fly wheel were biggest repairs. It has never gone more than 6 months without a major repair. Parts are getting expensive, but the unique arrangement of the transmission.motor means mechanics often have to lift transmission out to fix. Parts -- $200. Labor -- $400. I don't recommend buying this car unless you have a good mechanic thoroughly check it out. However, it's probably well known that as VW's age, parts & repair will be more than the average car. Buyer beware."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Parts can get expensive."

"I have owned this car going on 6 years now. When I first purchased the vehicle it already had 203,000 miles on it and the previous owner had severely neglected it. But if you fix them up right it goes to show you how reliable these vehicles are. Just hit 318000 miles on it last week and she's still kicking."

Excellent, reliable, fun to drive car.

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "peppy, good handling, fun to drive, roomy interior"

Cons: "rear cupholder broke; gas mileage fair"

"I bought my Golf GL in March 1998 and still have it as of October 2013. I thought I would buy a Japanese car but test drove the Golf as part of thorough research and was instantly converted. It is very peppy and maneuverable and fun to drive (I have a manual transmission--don't know about the automatic version). It has been very reliable, the clutch has had to be replaced but after 208,000 miles I expect to wear that out. Other than that it did develop an oil leak last year. I have heard VW cars have electrical problems and this one did have the Service Engine light come on twice for no reason when it was fairly new but I took it into the dealership and they figured out nothing was wrong and got it to turn off. I love the handling and it has headroom for my six-foot tall husband and plenty of room for two kids in the backseat. My only wish is that it got better gas mileage (I am able to get about 30 mpg which is not bad, but not as good as some other small cars). I would highly recommend this car and have been very happy with it."

horrible car

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Reason: stopped working

Pros: "good gas milage, comftable, and big space inside"

Cons: "parts expensive, breaks down easily"

"I fell in love with the car when I saw it but after 6 months of nothing but problems I hated that car. The parts are expensive, its very hard to find a good mechanic for it and once it has a problem it will break down every chance it gets. Horrible horrible car"

Excellent economic manufactured vehicle.

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Best gas economy, safe for family, very roomy."

Cons: "No 4 wheel drive, not very powerful."

"Very reliable, best fuel economy ever! Very easy to manuever, very safe passenger vehicle. Very convienant when I needed to haul things in the trunk or with the seats folded down, and still have 3 passengers safely secured and drive long trips without any worrys. Excellent from the factory vehicle alarm system. Volkswagon German manufacturing is all around very useful in my opinion. I only wish it didnt get rear ended and totaled I would still be driving it now, and manual 4 wheel drive would have been the only option to make it a perfect vehicle in my opinion."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Monday, April 16, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage!"

Cons: "small cup holders"

"This has been a very trustworthy, sporty, fun car. I have never experienced any major problems in the 13 years I have owned it. I have taken excellent care of it though. I call it my "little champ" because it's been so good to me. I get amazing gas mileage, still to this day."

COOL CAR!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"BEST 6CYL ENGINE EVER PRODUCED IN MY OPINION. THE SHIFTING IS SILKY SMOOTH AND VERY RELIABLE OVERALL. THE INTERIOR DESIGN IS TIMELESS AS WITH THE EXTERIOR STYLING."

best vehicle I've owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "there's no cup holders"

"i think the car is fun to drive and i like the way it handles and the performance of the car. it looks sharp when you look at it i told my self for years i'm never going to buy one of those cars. I bought one and i love the car."

Best overall car I've owned

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, reliability, fun to drive manual tranny"

Cons: "Small cupholders."

"After 215,000 miles, this car still consistently gets 35 mpg on highway. I bought it new in 1995. The only major work it needed was a new A/C compressor at about 198K miles. Otherwise, only routine stuff. It's got THE MOST comfortable seats I've ever sat in (though I wish at times for heated seats....) and I could ride for hours in them. Excellent set of foglights."

most reliable old car

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "gas milage, relability, comfort"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"I bought this car over a year ago just to get around. I haven't had any problems. The diesel engine is the best part. I only fuel up every 3 weeks!"

my kids car, ran rough til new plugs, runs great!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "engineering"

Cons: "small, quirky german engineering"

"car has 109k, ran very rough, replaced original plugs, cap, rotor, now runs great. Had my doubts, but now am very impressed. Plugs were all worn down to nubs-evenly!"

Very functional and reliable vehicle!

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and very functional; great value"

Cons: "Road noise, ugly car"

"I bought this car used from an ex-girlfriend. I hate it from a sytle point but it is one heck of a vehicle. The aluminum roof rack is very strong; I've stacked multiple ladders on top of it with no worries at all. The rear seats fold down in a snap and open up a very large cargo space. It gets good gas mileage for its period. It's never failed to get me where I need to go; just minor stuff to keep her going. I just replaced all of the plugs, filters, and O2 sensors and the brakes were overhauled last year, and she has years of service left in her. The interior is in great shape due to the durability of the materials VW built it with. The 2.0 liter engine is not strong but this is not a sports car anyway; it is certainly adequate. The moonroof is a great feature. About my only complaint is a lot of road and air flow noise at highway speeds, but that is expected on such an economy car of this period."

Runs well, Quiet, Comfortable...XLNT MPG 30-38

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive even long distance, a little wagon"

Cons: "room for 4 occasionally 5"

"Though aging this little car is a true gem. Excellent mileage. Ample comfort. Fun to drive.It can haul goods like a small station wagon."

98 vw gti

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"awesome vehicle., i bought mine used with 97,000 miles on it, i have 205,000 miles now and it still gets atleast 27 mpg. the 2.0l engine runs great and has good pick up in any gear. parking is easy in any parking lot, even the smallest. great car, i have had this car for 7 years and i hope i never have to get rid of mine."

By on Saturday, April 02, 2011

I'm going to miss it so much!!!

By on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"This was the best purchase I have ever made. I bought this one used with 135,000 miles on it for $2,700. I got 7 years out of this car. It has 187,000 miles on it and runs as well as it did on the day in which it was purchased. A DUI crashed into it while I was at work a few weeks ago...The insurance decided to scrap the car. They said the repairs would cost more than just giving me money. There going to give me $1,750. This car is so awesome. I only filled up my tank once in a blue moon and it never broke down on me. Most of the repair work is easy to do yourself and the 5 speed has some pretty fun pick up. I am going to miss this car soooo much!!! I'm probably going to have to get another one. I might even get the same year b/c the mileage isn't as good on the newer ones. GET THIS CAR! The seats even fold down and it turns into a couch so you can watch movies at the drive-in when the hatch is up!!! So many good memories with this car! It's also incredible for city driving...I could fit into every spot that was passed up."

Can't kill it.

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"i'm still in love with my '96 GTi, even with 190,000 miles, some rust, and a slowly failing transmission. she starts up every morning and easily gobbles the 90 miles one way into and from work, all while doing 27mpg. i wish she wasn't automatic, but luckily, she is still holding up, and i hope that she will continue to do so. known affectionately as "the li'l blue bucket," i've put half the miles this car has on her in only 31 months. in that 100k miles, i have sunk $750 into repairs, INCLUDING maintenance. someday i will upgrade, but it will be another, lower-mileage gti...just like this one."

My Not So New Car

By on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"I love my not so new Golf!!! It is so much better than any other car I have ever owned, and I owned a brand new Kia. VW has a customer for life!!!"

By on Monday, September 27, 2010

really reliable

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"motor is tough car will run forever with regualar matinece and gets great gas milage 30+"

By on Thursday, August 19, 2010

"over all good running car. Transmissions are to expensive to repair, dealers charge to much for diagnostics. I would not buy another ever again."

Not a bad little car

By on Friday, July 23, 2010

"First off I would not recommend it simply because of its age. Buying a car thats 15 years old is just asking for trouble. Ive had my car for about 5 years now. Bought it at 87,000 miles and shes up to 123,000 now. The exhaust has fallen off completely, cat and all. The radiator mount has rusted out and is now held up by wires, the floorboard behind drivers seat is rusting out, ABS light has been on for years, leaked oil and coolant, and the trunk wont open anymore. All dealable problems and to be expected for a car this old but I love my car. Its comfortable, sporty, great gas mileage (drive 60mi round trip 3-4 days a week and olny put $20 in) and just all around fun. I wish I could have gotten it new. Oh yeah the speedometer stopped working too lol"

:D

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Fun reliable car gets you to where you need to go with great mpg."

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010