1998 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 124 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

most reliable old car

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "gas milage, relability, comfort"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"I bought this car over a year ago just to get around. I haven't had any problems. The diesel engine is the best part. I only fuel up every 3 weeks!"

my kids car, ran rough til new plugs, runs great!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "engineering"

Cons: "small, quirky german engineering"

"car has 109k, ran very rough, replaced original plugs, cap, rotor, now runs great. Had my doubts, but now am very impressed. Plugs were all worn down to nubs-evenly!"

Very functional and reliable vehicle!

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and very functional; great value"

Cons: "Road noise, ugly car"

"I bought this car used from an ex-girlfriend. I hate it from a sytle point but it is one heck of a vehicle. The aluminum roof rack is very strong; I've stacked multiple ladders on top of it with no worries at all. The rear seats fold down in a snap and open up a very large cargo space. It gets good gas mileage for its period. It's never failed to get me where I need to go; just minor stuff to keep her going. I just replaced all of the plugs, filters, and O2 sensors and the brakes were overhauled last year, and she has years of service left in her. The interior is in great shape due to the durability of the materials VW built it with. The 2.0 liter engine is not strong but this is not a sports car anyway; it is certainly adequate. The moonroof is a great feature. About my only complaint is a lot of road and air flow noise at highway speeds, but that is expected on such an economy car of this period."

Runs well, Quiet, Comfortable...XLNT MPG 30-38

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive even long distance, a little wagon"

Cons: "room for 4 occasionally 5"

"Though aging this little car is a true gem. Excellent mileage. Ample comfort. Fun to drive.It can haul goods like a small station wagon."

98 vw gti

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"awesome vehicle., i bought mine used with 97,000 miles on it, i have 205,000 miles now and it still gets atleast 27 mpg. the 2.0l engine runs great and has good pick up in any gear. parking is easy in any parking lot, even the smallest. great car, i have had this car for 7 years and i hope i never have to get rid of mine."

By on Saturday, April 02, 2011

I'm going to miss it so much!!!

By on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"This was the best purchase I have ever made. I bought this one used with 135,000 miles on it for $2,700. I got 7 years out of this car. It has 187,000 miles on it and runs as well as it did on the day in which it was purchased. A DUI crashed into it while I was at work a few weeks ago...The insurance decided to scrap the car. They said the repairs would cost more than just giving me money. There going to give me $1,750. This car is so awesome. I only filled up my tank once in a blue moon and it never broke down on me. Most of the repair work is easy to do yourself and the 5 speed has some pretty fun pick up. I am going to miss this car soooo much!!! I'm probably going to have to get another one. I might even get the same year b/c the mileage isn't as good on the newer ones. GET THIS CAR! The seats even fold down and it turns into a couch so you can watch movies at the drive-in when the hatch is up!!! So many good memories with this car! It's also incredible for city driving...I could fit into every spot that was passed up."

Can't kill it.

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"i'm still in love with my '96 GTi, even with 190,000 miles, some rust, and a slowly failing transmission. she starts up every morning and easily gobbles the 90 miles one way into and from work, all while doing 27mpg. i wish she wasn't automatic, but luckily, she is still holding up, and i hope that she will continue to do so. known affectionately as "the li'l blue bucket," i've put half the miles this car has on her in only 31 months. in that 100k miles, i have sunk $750 into repairs, INCLUDING maintenance. someday i will upgrade, but it will be another, lower-mileage gti...just like this one."

My Not So New Car

By on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"I love my not so new Golf!!! It is so much better than any other car I have ever owned, and I owned a brand new Kia. VW has a customer for life!!!"

By on Monday, September 27, 2010