1997 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 126 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

1995 VWGOLFIII

By on Saturday, May 30, 2009

"I am the original owner of this vehicle and can't tell you how great the past 15 years have been. It's awesome in the snow, great for city driving as well as out of the city. I've hit gas mileage of up to 34mpg (and recently too). If it didn't live with me in the northeast, it could've gone on forever. Rust will be its demise as was my father's '74 bug after 20 years. We can't all be lucky enough to have a garage for the entire lifespan of the car. Highly recommend the mid-90's golfs!!!"

I Love This Car!!!

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"This has got to be the best car i ave ever owned. Its fun, affordable, comfortable, great on gas, and looks good too. I would recomend this car to anyone!"

Best Car Ive ever owned

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "Ole Reliable, great AC and heater."

Cons: "Pho cup holders"

"The ole VW has 250,000 miles on it and is still going strong. No rust, the seats and interior are good and it drives like new. True I have had to periodically replace parts but its a keeper. We never add oil, when its down a quart we change it with Mobil 1 high mileage and we get 7000 miles between changes. !!! Its still our road trip car and gets 33mpg highway."

Very functional and reliable vehicle!

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and very functional; great value"

Cons: "Road noise, ugly car"

"I bought this car used from an ex-girlfriend. I hate it from a sytle point but it is one heck of a vehicle. The aluminum roof rack is very strong; I've stacked multiple ladders on top of it with no worries at all. The rear seats fold down in a snap and open up a very large cargo space. It gets good gas mileage for its period. It's never failed to get me where I need to go; just minor stuff to keep her going. I just replaced all of the plugs, filters, and O2 sensors and the brakes were overhauled last year, and she has years of service left in her. The interior is in great shape due to the durability of the materials VW built it with. The 2.0 liter engine is not strong but this is not a sports car anyway; it is certainly adequate. The moonroof is a great feature. About my only complaint is a lot of road and air flow noise at highway speeds, but that is expected on such an economy car of this period."

Can't kill it.

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"i'm still in love with my '96 GTi, even with 190,000 miles, some rust, and a slowly failing transmission. she starts up every morning and easily gobbles the 90 miles one way into and from work, all while doing 27mpg. i wish she wasn't automatic, but luckily, she is still holding up, and i hope that she will continue to do so. known affectionately as "the li'l blue bucket," i've put half the miles this car has on her in only 31 months. in that 100k miles, i have sunk $750 into repairs, INCLUDING maintenance. someday i will upgrade, but it will be another, lower-mileage gti...just like this one."