1997 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 126 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

This has been a great, safe reliable vehicle for m

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "fast, safe,smooth,tight, handling,great stereo"

Cons: "paint is ionized after 12 years"

"Loved this car from the start. Always felt safe. Size was deceiving. Moved a ton of items. 2 queen size headboards one time. For many years had another vehicle and husband had a work truck. This just sat. After 2 years thought we'd better do something with it and it just started right up. Never broke down and it just won't die. We just had to keep it.Its been a 3rd vehicle untill now and it just keeps going. Best feature to me is that I love that style has not changed. It does not look like a 20 year old car. I have had no major problems with this car. From consumer reports etc I would not have bought another one from what I have read..until now. I went the other day to kill time and sat in the 2015. Wow. Will research further and just possible be another golf owner."

Best Car Ive ever owned

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "Ole Reliable, great AC and heater."

Cons: "Pho cup holders"

"The ole VW has 250,000 miles on it and is still going strong. No rust, the seats and interior are good and it drives like new. True I have had to periodically replace parts but its a keeper. We never add oil, when its down a quart we change it with Mobil 1 high mileage and we get 7000 miles between changes. !!! Its still our road trip car and gets 33mpg highway."

i love my little car..

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "dependable, fun and economical.."

Cons: "expensive parts..."

"My little vw golf is the best car I have ever owned, the parts are expensive but it's so easy to work on yourself that a child can repair anything that ever goes wrong with it. If you keep up regular maintenance , this little car will stay as dependable as if it were new.... best car ever"

Safe car, fun to drive -- but expensive to fix

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"I bought the 1997 VW Golf GI 4-door hatchback used from first owner in 2011. Within 4 months, it began a regular pattern of breaking down. Clutch and fly wheel were biggest repairs. It has never gone more than 6 months without a major repair. Parts are getting expensive, but the unique arrangement of the transmission.motor means mechanics often have to lift transmission out to fix. Parts -- $200. Labor -- $400. I don't recommend buying this car unless you have a good mechanic thoroughly check it out. However, it's probably well known that as VW's age, parts & repair will be more than the average car. Buyer beware."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Parts can get expensive."

"I have owned this car going on 6 years now. When I first purchased the vehicle it already had 203,000 miles on it and the previous owner had severely neglected it. But if you fix them up right it goes to show you how reliable these vehicles are. Just hit 318000 miles on it last week and she's still kicking."