2009 Volkswagen Eos

Based on 173 Ratings for the 2007 - 2016 models.

Hardtop great; turbo terrrific

By on Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pros: "great price; gotta love the hardtop; great turbo"

Cons: "it's not summer year round here."

"The convertible hardtop is hard to beat; with the supplied noise baffles, it's surprisingly quiet on the highway. And with the turbo, the pick up and handling is terrific. It's what you'd expect from a more expensive sports car."

A really sporty, peppy, fun car.

By on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pros: "Best in class."

Cons: "Throttle brake interlock."

"2008 Lux model bought it new. Averages 30 MPG in mixed driving, using premium fuel. Fun to drive, comfortable to drive on long trips. Trouble free in 4 years of ownership. Two recalls and no major failures or loss of use. I love the top down driving and the sun roof for really short trips and errands. The six speed auto transmission is the smoothest shifting I have ever driven. For my part, overall well worth the money as there is little I would change."

Nice but Problematic

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

"I have had this car for about 1.5 years and over 17k miles. The price was right for a hardtop convertible. And it is the only one on the market with a sunroof, so there is no comparision there. Pros: Sunroof AND convertible, fun and snappy to drive, nice fuel mileage, gets tons of looks. Decent trunk room for a hard top convertible. It is not a sports car, but handles nicely. The DSG transmission is great and the stero sounds nice. Cons: I have returned to the dealer 5 times for warrantly repairs. My faults include SIX different check engine lights, a broke A/C compressor, windows acting wrong, windows freeze in the winter (bad situation for framless windows), screws falling out of the trunk, two different radio problems, a rattle in the dash, emergency brake handle cover fell off and the worst part is the speedo is off. The seats are uncomfortable. They are really stiff on the sides and dig into your legs. ***Make note, VW calibrates their speedo off by upto 10%. I drive 70 mph on the speedo and it is actually going 63. VW knows about this and says that is standard. They will not change it. With all of the problems above, I realize why VW was rated in the upper 30s out of nearly 40 car manufacturer's for reliability. Just because it is a new car does not mean much these days. It has the same engine as almost 10 other cars and the same transmission, a/c, radio, etc as others, not sure why it would work in a differnt model and not this one."

Great set of wheels

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Only have had the car for 3 weeks now but so far it has performed without a single problem....I am concerned about care for the top seals, getting the right stuff & doing it often enough so will never be leak!! But the EOS is fun to drive, has plenty of power, and the top is a real watcher!! & the DSG 6 sp auto trans is super smooth. Well done VW."

FUN FUN FUN

By on Monday, May 5, 2008

"I have the wonderful pleasure of leasing this car. This is a blast to drive. The only down fall is the fact I can only put 15000 miles on a year. This car can turn heads just sitting down. The neighbor children will come running the first few times they see the top go down or up while nick naming the car ‘transformer”. I average around 27 miles to the gallon. There is nothing like putting in a stressful day, dropping the top and opening the car up for your drive home. What do I love – The push of a button and the roof is up or down. I can drive with the top down. Park at the mall with the top up and feel secure. Trunk space is fabulous. I can carry a case of water and my brief case along with other items in the trunk with the top down. The only complaint (s) – Sirius satellite vs XM. That and I can only drive 15000 miles a year. I have only put on 9000 miles but have had ZERO problems or concerns."

Buy It

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Good styling, good economy, good performance. Trunk space and rear seat cramped but to be expected in a compact coupe. I have the 2008, LUX model and was dissappointed that it didn't have Homelink or that Bluetooth wasn't offered without the Nav system like in other cars in its price range"

Fabulous

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Great performance, great looks -- this car looks rich and acts rich. The huge sunroof makes you feel as if you are driving with the top down all the time. The car handles like a dream and the tranmission and engine are smooth and quiet. Very good gas mileage. Interior is luxurious, gorgeous, roomy and comfortable. Front seat wind control is excellent with the deflector. The back seat is very windy, however, as deflector cannot be used (obviously) with back seat passengers. We are delighted with this car and wish we had 2 of them."

2013 Eos Executive

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "hard top plus sunroof plus convertible all in one"

Cons: "somewhat generic looking with top up."

"I just bought this car a few days ago. It's a blast to drive and has many wonderful options. It's got great pickup and gas mileage. With the top up, from the outside it looks pretty much like your run-of-the-mill coupe. But when the top comes down (and it looks like a transformer when you operate the top)it becomes much more elegant looking. This is a great option for those who want a convertible yet also live in a cold climate where in the winter, a convertible is not practical. This is the best of both worlds. Can hardly wait til the summer to really have fun in this car."

One Great Car

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "Great all around car! Never a problem or concern"

Cons: "Premium Gas"

My Buddy At The Beach!

"I have had this car since new and have taken it on several trips to Florida, Atlanta, Chicago, Milwaukee, Toronto, New York. It is my daily driver and love this car in Winter, Spring, SUMMER"

My Buddy At The Beach!

Looking forward to a long relationship

By on Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Just bought the Eos Komfort having downsized from A Mountaineer. I love this car! It's well equipped at the base model. It's fun to drive, head turning and has way more pick up than I expected. I do wish there was more storage up front. The glove compartment is small and there's no storage between the seats. I'm making the pocket on the door work but it's definitely an adjustment coming from an SUV. On the upside, the trunk actually holds quite a bit, even with the top down. The sunroof is awesome!!! My favorite thing is telling people it's a convertible with a sunroof. Most people have no idea this car even exists. And, I've been in it about a week and have yet to see another one on the road and I really like that."

Disappointed

By on Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"We've had this car just over 2 years now. At first I loved it and would have given 5 stars, so it's lucky I've waited to review it. First the bad news. We've had some minor issues - cold weather windows not going down so if the door is opened you cannot get it to close completely because of the window; leaks in heavy rains on the driver side; making an annoying clicking noise when sitting still in traffic. There is also the maintenance costs - very expensive oil changes and even the wiper blades cost a bit more (and that is 3rd party not through the dealership). I'm thankful the car is still under warranty but am real concerned about the future and will hate to be making payments and paying for expensive repairs due to poor quality! The good news - it's fun during the summer. There is an "Aux" in the console you can use to hook up your music devices (I bought a cheap adapter for my iPhone instead of paying the dealer to install their iPod adapter). The fuel economy is decent. Other than that, it's your typical vehicle. In winter driving it's been okay, not outstanding but not terrible. The performance is a bit lack luster and you sometimes wish for a bit more power, especially pulling out into traffic. That being said, it does get moving and can give you a bit of fun driving. There were a few reviews that mentioned the transmission problem - we've just had that fixed as VW has sent out "recall" notices to have a part replaced. We have another car that is the main "family car" since the car seat is in it, although we have used the Eos at times for family outings. The back seats can be a bit tight depending on how much room is needed for the driver & front passenger. In conclusion, I still like the car but am just concerned about the quality and reliability. I just have a feeling that once the warranty runs out, things are going to get expensive! Being in Chicago where it can get a bit cold during the winters, I am concerned about the leaks and windows not shutting. Last year with my 1.5 yr old son in the back, the passenger window went back up prior to us closing the door and it wouldn't go back down, so we had to close the door best we could and drive with a small gap between window and car frame allowing the cold air into the car (while we were on the expressway). I kept trying to get the window to work on the way home (even pulling off to see if I could get it to work after the car warmed up) but it refused to budge. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong so we'll see how this winter goes."

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Great car, expensive to maintain though, my fault for not researching prior to purchase. Fun to drive and love the hardtop convertible. Small back seat, but that is expected with a car of this size. Head turner and I get a lot of compliments on it."

FUN CAR

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"LOVE MY CAR! ONLY COMPLAIN IS THEAT IT DOES NOT HAVE A REARSENSOR WHEN I BACK UP."

Great idea.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Fun, GREAT GAS MILAGE! Turbo!"

Cons: "Few cup holders Small baskseat, Carseats DO NO FIT"

"I currently own A VW EOS, I have had it for almost a year. I lived in Portland Oregon for a majority of the time and was looking for a convertible I could use once we moved to a warmer climate. After a crime spree in the area I was nervous to get a convertible due to cut ins in the top. This was the perfect fit for what I needed. PROS: This is an amazing car. Drives great. Love the Turbo. And when the top is down the stereo is amazing. Looks pretty cool putting the top down. Transformer... Fantastic gas milage CONS: like all convertibles small back seat. Cannot fit a carseat properly. And after driving from Portland to Phoenix I will never sit in the back seat again... not meant for long drives with passengers in the back seat."

DEFECTIVE DRG TRANSMISSION

By on Sunday, November 21, 2010

"I bought my EOS new in 2009 and at 1400 miles the transmission blew and was replaced under warranty with a previously defective unit VW calls refurbished. At 11,000 the transmission blew again and was replaced with a formerly defective unit again. I am a normal driver using the car to and from work and around town and am appalled that this DRG has failed twice in one year. Overall, the EOS is a fun car to drive and good value, but I think that anyone contemplaintg purchasing any car with the DRG transmission should not buy it. I think that the incidences of DSG transmission failures is vastly underreported since VW 'cheerully' replaces them and extends the warranty. I urge anyone who has had this problem to register transmission failure problems to the NHTSB as I have done so that the true extent is known. While these two failures cost me nothing, the aggravation, hassle and danger of having frequent transmission failure far out weighs the other good features of this car."

Love my eos

By on Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Got my car August 2006, I have been through 2 new england winters, and a beautiful summer. I love this car. no complaints"

Love it!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Peformance, fun to drive, solid car"

Cons: "Only one: needs premium gas."

"I'm over 6 ft tall and was looking for a convertible that I could fit in, would handle the snow in our NY winters, and that I could afford to replace my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. I came across a 2012 EOS with 16,000 miles and bought it. I love the car, it's a joy to drive, has enough power for me (definitely faster than the Eclipse)."

Great for all seasons

By on Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pros: "beautiful, fun car"

Cons: "small space to climb in and out of the back seat"

"Love the Eos. I live in the wintery hilly country of NY and drive it thru all seasons. It is very good on the hills in snow and ice. The comfort is great for shorter people (I am 5'1"), but not for you who are tall. Large people would have difficulty getting into the back seat with the top up. The trunk area is limited, but still very usable.That said, love this car! It drives very well and great visability even with the top up. It definately feels like a "me" car. The handling is smooth and the stereo rocks! Definately glad I purchased this car"

FUN in the Summer - Solid in the Winter

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "FUN, FUN, FUN to drive."

Cons: "Rear vision is not the best but better than most."

"I've owned my 2008 Eos since 2008. It's everything I want. There's back seat for my grand daughter, convertible top that goes up/down in 20 seconds, sunroof, hard top for winter weather and to hold the heat. It's heavy enough for highway driving and light enough for easy manuvering. I've looked at trading but can't find anything to compare with the features that are important to me. Rear vision is not the best but better than most convertibles."

Super fun to drive, kids love it (and fit in it)

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Super fun in every way"

"Speedy little thing for a 4 cylinder, beautiful mechanics operating the roof smoothly, excellent options for just how much air you want (full fledged top down convertible wind in your hair - with windows up and wind breaker in back, convertible without having to redo your hair - just windows and huge sky roof - or close it all up and use the AC or heat). It handles really well and even has a sport mode for extra pep. I love this car. The kids love it, "the fun transformer car." Gas mileage is phenomenal, I get about 30mpg back and forth to work and easily get above 35 if I do highway driving (having the top up might help that mileage). Only negative - cornsilk beige interior is really off white and not the best choice for basketballs, kids shoes, etc"

It hates me...

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, cute and flirty"

Cons: "Something goes wrong every 3 months"

"I've had my cute little car for 3 years and I believe that it hates me....it'd rather spend it's time, top up, in the service bay at the dealership than out on the road with me. I hope it's just my car and not the entire fleet...."

Eos i love it

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"the car is a great overall car you dont sacrifice much trunk space for the top the car has the get up and go. the only two things i dont like about the car is supreme gas only and the back seats. but that comes owning a two a sports car."

Finally got the car of my dreams!! :)

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe and handles well. Dynaudio!!"

Cons: "Little trunk space."

"I've had my eye on the EOS since 2006/2007 when VW announced them coming out. I had a 83 white Rabbit convertible as my first car in 1990 and then in 96 I bought a new white Cabrio Highline. Both were white with black tops. I had my cabrio for ten years and after 3 transmissions i decided to sell it and get a Toyota Matrix in 2006 as they are cheap and reliable. Not one problem with the Matrix and it's still in tip top shape, but I still missed my VW convertible and always have had my eye on the EOS. Finally gave in 2 weeks ago and bought a certified used 2008 white. So far so good and I hope she treats me good!!! Driving this car compared to my Matrix is a HUGE difference. Feels like luxury and handles wonderfully. I kind of wish I had just bought the Eos back in 2007 when they came out, but I probably wouldnt enjoy it as much. Plus i just bought the lux version and i wouldnt have been able to afford that new in 2007. Everything happens for a reason. The only thing I'll miss is the trunk space!!!! Love this car!! I only recommend people reading up on the convertible top because you have to maintain all the roof seals or it could get leaks. Vwvortex has some good maintenance tips."

Often overlooked and I'm glad

By on Friday, May 3, 2013

Pros: "turbo fun, great looks, high quality interior"

Cons: "small trunk when roof is down"

"This car has all the sports car fun of a GTI with the same turbo engine and dual clutch automatic, big grippy tires, sexy good looks, great gas mileage AND the top goes down when its warm out! Great comfortable seats, nice touchscreen stereo, rich, quality good looks inside. Why you don't see a lot of them on the road is strange. Maybe the price is a little high but that means exclusivity for me when I get the stares driving along the beach!"

a keeper!

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I like German cars (have had Audi A4s and VW Passats) and always wanted the A4 Cabriolet, but wouldn't want to park a ragtop in the snow visiting family in Buffalo. I waited a year before buying a 2008 Eos (Lux- turbo 2.0L) in Nov. 2007. It's far and away my favorite car. Fun to drive, with sports mode when you want more control. Much better pickup than previous turbo 4s (including Audi) and handling is great. Beautiful interior, exceptionally comfortable front seats; rear seats a bit stiff but passengers have had no complaints on short trips. Mileage has been about 29 using premium fuel. (You're protecting the turbo, and it costs me maybe $150 more a year. Fine.) I like the styling better than the other 4-seaters. People are curious, since there aren't that many on the road, but have been complimentary--even after 3 1/2 years. (Don't like the tailgaters though) The hardtop goes down as soon as the temp reaches 60 degrees. Adequate room for groceries and luggage for 2. No mechanical or electrical issues, but I have had the occasional roof leak in the rain (a sign that a 'treatment' is needed). Regular maintenance needed/recommended. I usually change cars after 3 years; not this time. Hope to see all-wheel drive and a hybrid version in the future."