• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2008 Volkswagen Eos

Based on 156 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful car and easy to drive. Fuel efficient."

Cons: "Needs interfaced garage door opener."

"This is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. It handles well and I could watch the top fold into the trunk a thousand times and still be amazed."

Finally got the car of my dreams!! :)

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe and handles well. Dynaudio!!"

Cons: "Little trunk space."

"I've had my eye on the EOS since 2006/2007 when VW announced them coming out. I had a 83 white Rabbit convertible as my first car in 1990 and then in 96 I bought a new white Cabrio Highline. Both were white with black tops. I had my cabrio for ten years and after 3 transmissions i decided to sell it and get a Toyota Matrix in 2006 as they are cheap and reliable. Not one problem with the Matrix and it's still in tip top shape, but I still missed my VW convertible and always have had my eye on the EOS. Finally gave in 2 weeks ago and bought a certified used 2008 white. So far so good and I hope she treats me good!!! Driving this car compared to my Matrix is a HUGE difference. Feels like luxury and handles wonderfully. I kind of wish I had just bought the Eos back in 2007 when they came out, but I probably wouldnt enjoy it as much. Plus i just bought the lux version and i wouldnt have been able to afford that new in 2007. Everything happens for a reason. The only thing I'll miss is the trunk space!!!! Love this car!! I only recommend people reading up on the convertible top because you have to maintain all the roof seals or it could get leaks. Vwvortex has some good maintenance tips."

Best of cars/worst of cars

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "don't even THINK of not garaging it."

"It leaks. We call it the water rat. And even after we spent $$$ to repair the seals, the residual water condenses on the inside of the windows. So now that it's cold, I have frost on the INSIDE and outside of the windshield. Great highway car, but needs to be garaged. Too fussy for me."

Don't buy a VW

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive if no problems"

Cons: "lots of problems-not easily fixed"

"I bought the 2008 Lux Eos. I enjoyed driving my car for about three years until I started having rook leaking issues. At that time I started to deal with the dealer on a consistent basis and have never have such poor service with a car company before. I brought in my car a total of 4 times and i still had issues with leaking after that. I couldnt believe a 3 year old car would be so difficult for the dealer to fix. Additionally their corporate representatives were miserable to work with. They were not courteous or willing to help beyond telling me to continually bring my car back to the dealer. Its unfortunate that I spent so much on a vehicle and was treated so poorly. I had heard bad things about VWs in the past. I thought I would take chance. I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING A VW."

German engineering at its' best!

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

"I watched this car from the time it was a concept vehicle. I knew then that I wanted to own one. I himmed and hawwed when I got closer to the time I wanted to buy one. Finally, in 2007, it was announced the option packages would change and the sport package would be eliminated, which actually is higher than the luxury package. I bought mine then, in the color I wanted. I have only had routine maintenance done on this Eos as was the case with the '97 Cabrio I owned before that. Batteries, tires, brakes have all been replaced and other than the smelly problem with the air conditioning that was corrected 3 years ago, there's never been a problem. It is a joy to drive, handles great and I love it. I'm thinking about trading only because I started playing golf 2 months after buying it and golf clubs are a pain the behind to get into the car. Back seat really isn't an option so you have to remove the longest clubs to get them in the trunk, then put the clubs in. The front seat is also a choice but then that's not the best solution."

BEST CAR IEVER OWNED!10 OUT OF 10.

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Cons: "NONE!!!!"

"LOVED IT SO MUCH I AM BUYING A NEW LUX MODEL 2012 EOS. COMFORT 10 HANDLING 10 EXCELLERATION 10 SMOOTH 10 ATTENTION GETTER 10"

Great idea.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Fun, GREAT GAS MILAGE! Turbo!"

Cons: "Few cup holders Small baskseat, Carseats DO NO FIT"

"I currently own A VW EOS, I have had it for almost a year. I lived in Portland Oregon for a majority of the time and was looking for a convertible I could use once we moved to a warmer climate. After a crime spree in the area I was nervous to get a convertible due to cut ins in the top. This was the perfect fit for what I needed. PROS: This is an amazing car. Drives great. Love the Turbo. And when the top is down the stereo is amazing. Looks pretty cool putting the top down. Transformer... Fantastic gas milage CONS: like all convertibles small back seat. Cannot fit a carseat properly. And after driving from Portland to Phoenix I will never sit in the back seat again... not meant for long drives with passengers in the back seat."

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive great price"

"I love this car!"

Love, Love this car.

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

"It hyas an excellent smooth drive. Very comfortable seats. Size is just perfect to find a parking spot in NYC."

It hates me...

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, cute and flirty"

Cons: "Something goes wrong every 3 months"

"I've had my cute little car for 3 years and I believe that it hates me....it'd rather spend it's time, top up, in the service bay at the dealership than out on the road with me. I hope it's just my car and not the entire fleet...."

A really sporty, peppy, fun car.

By on Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pros: "Best in class."

Cons: "Throttle brake interlock."

"2008 Lux model bought it new. Averages 30 MPG in mixed driving, using premium fuel. Fun to drive, comfortable to drive on long trips. Trouble free in 4 years of ownership. Two recalls and no major failures or loss of use. I love the top down driving and the sun roof for really short trips and errands. The six speed auto transmission is the smoothest shifting I have ever driven. For my part, overall well worth the money as there is little I would change."

Looking forward to a long relationship

By on Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Just bought the Eos Komfort having downsized from A Mountaineer. I love this car! It's well equipped at the base model. It's fun to drive, head turning and has way more pick up than I expected. I do wish there was more storage up front. The glove compartment is small and there's no storage between the seats. I'm making the pocket on the door work but it's definitely an adjustment coming from an SUV. On the upside, the trunk actually holds quite a bit, even with the top down. The sunroof is awesome!!! My favorite thing is telling people it's a convertible with a sunroof. Most people have no idea this car even exists. And, I've been in it about a week and have yet to see another one on the road and I really like that."

a keeper!

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I like German cars (have had Audi A4s and VW Passats) and always wanted the A4 Cabriolet, but wouldn't want to park a ragtop in the snow visiting family in Buffalo. I waited a year before buying a 2008 Eos (Lux- turbo 2.0L) in Nov. 2007. It's far and away my favorite car. Fun to drive, with sports mode when you want more control. Much better pickup than previous turbo 4s (including Audi) and handling is great. Beautiful interior, exceptionally comfortable front seats; rear seats a bit stiff but passengers have had no complaints on short trips. Mileage has been about 29 using premium fuel. (You're protecting the turbo, and it costs me maybe $150 more a year. Fine.) I like the styling better than the other 4-seaters. People are curious, since there aren't that many on the road, but have been complimentary--even after 3 1/2 years. (Don't like the tailgaters though) The hardtop goes down as soon as the temp reaches 60 degrees. Adequate room for groceries and luggage for 2. No mechanical or electrical issues, but I have had the occasional roof leak in the rain (a sign that a 'treatment' is needed). Regular maintenance needed/recommended. I usually change cars after 3 years; not this time. Hope to see all-wheel drive and a hybrid version in the future."

It's the dealer, not the car

By on Thursday, April 07, 2011

"Had my EOS for almsot 2 years of mostly trouble free driving. Air bag on pass. side failed a few months ago and dealer fixed it but well, it was broke again in 5 miles. Had to order a new one and took 5 weeks to get part. Oil change and tire rotation $92.00 and need an appointment. I change at 5 thousand miles so not free in between. Car rides and handles well for what it is which is a boulevard cruiser and a ton of fun. Have 15,000 miles and no rattles at all. Great gas mileage getting 35 around town and 34 on the road. Yeah, more around town. Keep it at 65 and get 37+ mpg but premium fuel. Only issue I have is the dealership who act as though they are doing you a favor taking your money and working on your car. Other car is an Acura MDX and pull in to dealership and think you were driving a Rolls Royce."

Great, fun car

By on Monday, April 04, 2011

"I've owned my EOS for nearly a year. It is reliable, cute and fun to drive. The dealership and VW have also been very proactive about getting me informaiton about the car, maintenance, etc. I highly recommend the EOS!"

Cutiest girl car

By on Monday, March 28, 2011

"Fun, cute, and tough car! Take it out for a Sunday drive, load it with kids and their sports gear, take it campping, or a night on the town. You'll get all kinds of attention from everyone, anywhere. Would recommend this car to any girl!"

Excellent value

By on Saturday, March 05, 2011

"I purchased my 2009 Komfort 2.0 Turbo w/AT in March 2010. Now, in March 2011 it has only 1,300 miles on it because of it being strictly a weekend car. Perhaps the low mileage is not an adequate measure with which to judge the car but it has operated flawlessly and is a delight to drive. It turns heads when the top is down and I'm looking forward to another spring, summer and fall of operation. The other advantage is that it's really a 12-month car because of the hardtop rather than the ragtop. Most soft top convertibles are drafty and cold in winter. They say, "When the top goes down, the price goes up". Well, if you compare this to the comparable Mercedes, my car (delivered with tax, etc) at $32K is a real value at about $20K less than the Benz."

Lots Of Little Problems

By on Saturday, January 29, 2011

"I have a 2007 with very low miles and it has been in the shop for Convert top leaking, Convert top not operating properly, Passenger side seat warmer coming on when it should be off, sometimes when you push the open trunk button it pops open and before you can grab it to push it up it automatically closes on you. I realize the 2007 is the first year and may have more problems then most but I can't stand bringing it in to the dealer. They are very unhelpful and very slow. No customer service. This is why this is my first and last volkswagen."

Loving my VW EOS !

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"The Hardtop is such a head turner everywhere i go to put my roof down it just awes me everytime!!! I never regretted buying my EOS and the white one is just perfect for its color!!! ;)"

DEFECTIVE DRG TRANSMISSION

By on Sunday, November 21, 2010

"I bought my EOS new in 2009 and at 1400 miles the transmission blew and was replaced under warranty with a previously defective unit VW calls refurbished. At 11,000 the transmission blew again and was replaced with a formerly defective unit again. I am a normal driver using the car to and from work and around town and am appalled that this DRG has failed twice in one year. Overall, the EOS is a fun car to drive and good value, but I think that anyone contemplaintg purchasing any car with the DRG transmission should not buy it. I think that the incidences of DSG transmission failures is vastly underreported since VW 'cheerully' replaces them and extends the warranty. I urge anyone who has had this problem to register transmission failure problems to the NHTSB as I have done so that the true extent is known. While these two failures cost me nothing, the aggravation, hassle and danger of having frequent transmission failure far out weighs the other good features of this car."

Disappointed

By on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

"We've had this car just over 2 years now. At first I loved it and would have given 5 stars, so it's lucky I've waited to review it. First the bad news. We've had some minor issues - cold weather windows not going down so if the door is opened you cannot get it to close completely because of the window; leaks in heavy rains on the driver side; making an annoying clicking noise when sitting still in traffic. There is also the maintenance costs - very expensive oil changes and even the wiper blades cost a bit more (and that is 3rd party not through the dealership). I'm thankful the car is still under warranty but am real concerned about the future and will hate to be making payments and paying for expensive repairs due to poor quality! The good news - it's fun during the summer. There is an "Aux" in the console you can use to hook up your music devices (I bought a cheap adapter for my iPhone instead of paying the dealer to install their iPod adapter). The fuel economy is decent. Other than that, it's your typical vehicle. In winter driving it's been okay, not outstanding but not terrible. The performance is a bit lack luster and you sometimes wish for a bit more power, especially pulling out into traffic. That being said, it does get moving and can give you a bit of fun driving. There were a few reviews that mentioned the transmission problem - we've just had that fixed as VW has sent out "recall" notices to have a part replaced. We have another car that is the main "family car" since the car seat is in it, although we have used the Eos at times for family outings. The back seats can be a bit tight depending on how much room is needed for the driver & front passenger. In conclusion, I still like the car but am just concerned about the quality and reliability. I just have a feeling that once the warranty runs out, things are going to get expensive! Being in Chicago where it can get a bit cold during the winters, I am concerned about the leaks and windows not shutting. Last year with my 1.5 yr old son in the back, the passenger window went back up prior to us closing the door and it wouldn't go back down, so we had to close the door best we could and drive with a small gap between window and car frame allowing the cold air into the car (while we were on the expressway). I kept trying to get the window to work on the way home (even pulling off to see if I could get it to work after the car warmed up) but it refused to budge. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong so we'll see how this winter goes."

Loving it

By on Thursday, September 23, 2010

"I love my car...I've had it since it was new...I used to have a Corvette but this turns heads even more than that car did!"

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"This is an extremely fun car to drive. I own the 2.0 turbo and it goes! I've looked at other hard top convertibles and although they would likely be fine, I love the choice of either putting the top down or just using the sunroof. I've not seen any others like it. Also, the car turns heads and that's fun! It's comfortable and reliable."

Fun, Fun, Fun

By on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"I got the EOS in late 2009. It's been a great ride and we are at 12,000 miles. The car rides great and is fun. No issues at all. The convertible has been a blast, plus the sun roof. We get many compliments on the car. I bought the extended maintenance since we plan on keeping the car. Looked at the Volvo, Lexus but both back seats were smaller. Great car, great fun."

fast, fun and easy to drive

By on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"The EOS is a unique auto, not only is it a convertible but it also is not as known for being a higher hp and torque sports car. I've owned this car for 2 years and if you don't watch out, you're way out in front of the pack of cars on the interstate. When your in the car, you simply want to keep going. Its so comfortable and allows you to feels secure as it has a tight suspension allowing one to manuever so easily."