1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews

Fun summer car - economical too

By on Monday, April 07, 2008

"I have owned my 99 cabrio for a bit over three years and have to say it has served me well as a great summer car although I drive it all year round. Its decent in snow believe it or not. The one drawback is power: you have to push it to get above 80 on the highway (but that's breaking the law where I come from). Also because it is a convertible it is a bit loud to drive on highways. I have had a few VWs and this one's far better better than most. The styling is good and is aging nicely (much better than Jettas) Its also still really fun. If you are looking for a decently priced summer car that's great for cruising around town, hitting the beach or just having fun this is the best choice for less than 7,00 dollars. You can comfortably fit four average sized adults in the car and the trunk is ample enough for a bit of equipment. I would not recommend this if your intention is lots of road trips. - Ted"

1998 VW Cabrio GLS

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Affordable, Great steering feedback."

Cons: "Small cup holders."

"This little car is so much fun to drive, I absolutely love it! If your asking if I would buy another then that would be a yes. It offers a lot of cool features considering its age, and is a ball to go topless. The top is super easy to put up or down, with a manual or automatic top. We have only had a few problems with it but what do you expect from a 1998, nothing lasts forever. I wish Volkswagen still made it because the Eos is a little pricey, but when you receive the quality that Volkswagen puts into there cars you understand. VW had a winner with the Cabrio."

Great value

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I purchased my Cabrio GL 3 years ago with 81,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on it, with virtually no maintenance. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil every 8,000 miles, just last week a new top, all 4 wheel bearings (within 5,000 miles), and the driver's side window lifter. Parts and repairs are ridiculously expensive, but the 33MPG average (!!!) makes up for a lot of that. Fun car to drive, kinda noisy, ice cold AC, overall a great value!"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted

I'd like to receive useful tips, tools and resources via email from Kelley Blue Book.