1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews

Fun summer car - economical too

By on Monday, April 07, 2008

"I have owned my 99 cabrio for a bit over three years and have to say it has served me well as a great summer car although I drive it all year round. Its decent in snow believe it or not. The one drawback is power: you have to push it to get above 80 on the highway (but that's breaking the law where I come from). Also because it is a convertible it is a bit loud to drive on highways. I have had a few VWs and this one's far better better than most. The styling is good and is aging nicely (much better than Jettas) Its also still really fun. If you are looking for a decently priced summer car that's great for cruising around town, hitting the beach or just having fun this is the best choice for less than 7,00 dollars. You can comfortably fit four average sized adults in the car and the trunk is ample enough for a bit of equipment. I would not recommend this if your intention is lots of road trips. - Ted"

Great value

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I purchased my Cabrio GL 3 years ago with 81,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on it, with virtually no maintenance. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil every 8,000 miles, just last week a new top, all 4 wheel bearings (within 5,000 miles), and the driver's side window lifter. Parts and repairs are ridiculously expensive, but the 33MPG average (!!!) makes up for a lot of that. Fun car to drive, kinda noisy, ice cold AC, overall a great value!"

"Das Auto" - Long Before Its Time!!!

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive! Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "Poor cup holders!"

"Purchased my '97 Golf "Cabrio" back in 2010 with just over 70,000 km on the odometer. It had been a one owner vehicle and I found it on a VW lot where it had been traded in just a few days before for another VW product. This was my "lucky day" as it turned out. Since owning the vehicle, I have driven it back and forth from British Columbia to Arizona for the past three years and it has never let me down yet. Fuel consumption is marvelous on these trips and even "around town" I still manage to get great gas mileage for a vehicle of this age. The original "rag" top was replaced by a top quality top last summer as a result of "wear & tear" on the seams and I was advised by the dealer to replace the top rather than repair the old one. As a result, the interior noise when the top is up has been remarkably reduced. In addition, I managed to find a wind screen which cuts both the noise and wind in the passenger compartment to almost nil at highway speeds making it easy to have a normal conversation with my front seat passenger. (No back seat guests on board when the wind screen is in place). Maintenance wise, the vehicle has not been a problem nor has it been all that expensive to maintain. Having a German mechanic also helps since he is so familiar with Volkswagen products. Other than a new set of tires and brand new wipers, there have been no other replacement parts so far. Have given a lot of thought to selling or trading my "Cabrio" but that's all it has been so far - just thought. More than likely I will continue to keep the vehicle until it qualifies for "antique" plates in just a few years."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted