2014 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,786 - $19,485.

10/7.2

7.1

Based on 36 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.2/10
    7.1/10
    7.3/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Character

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Handling, price, looks, trunk space, heated seats"

Cons: "Put 36K miles on it way too quickly!"

"If you seek bland styling, this is not the car for you. My Launch edition has been terrific. We get a lot of snow and ice, so I use a set of Blizzak tires, and this little buggy goes anywhere. I've passed stuck SUVs and have felt completely safe with the handling of this car. For me, the Beetle has more character and better road feed-back than the Honda Civic. With the rear seats folded down, I have loaded the back up with incredible amounts of stuff (monthly Sam's shopping!). With the hatch open, even brought a full size refrigerator home once."

Love the Beetle!

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great sound system"

Cons: "no trunk release inside car, blind spots"

"I wanted a Beetle for 10 years, and I finally got the Turbo convertible when they returned to the market. It is super fun to drive and love the Fender sound system! We also have a Mercedes ML350, but I prefer to drive the Beetle! Aside from a few minor things such as no trunk release from inside the car and the doors ding easily, I love the car!"

Outstanding, fun, zippy, smart car!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Funnest car ever!!"

Cons: "Backseat a little uncomfortable for passengers."

"I get more looks and compliments on this car! It is a showstopper everywhere I go heads turn! Funnest car ever!"

Love it but missing a few things

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Adorable, Roomy in Front"

Cons: "no: arm rest, backseat lights, power seats"

"My beetle is fun to drive. It has an optional sports gear when I need to move fast. I love the new exterior look and the vehicle has never had any mechanical issues. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, despite a few interior items I feel my beetle needs but doesn't have. My beetle needs an arm rest and interior lighting for the center and back of the vehicle. The indoor lights only light the front and everything else is pitch dark at night. The other two items I would really like to have are power seats and control buttons on the steering wheel."

For the price, it has been a satisfying ride.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "cute car"

Cons: "can't think of one now."

"It has performed well for around the town drive - to and from work - it all kinds of weather.The back seats are useless since it is a very tight and uncomfortable ride for a passenger. However for my use it serves its purpose - a ide to and from work."

Not a good car

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking car"

Cons: "Fuel economy, performance, reliability"

"This is my second time having a VW Beetle. The first one was a 1998 Bug which was a very unreliable car. It had the well known window problems, air conditioning and heater core had to be replaced and at 60K the head gasket cracked. That was the worse car I have ever owned. After that experience I told myself that I would never buy a VW again, well that all changed fourteen years later when the new 2012 beetles arrived. I was thinking that after all of these years the quality and reliability of the VW beetle should have improved. So, I decided to give VW another try, which was a bad mistake. The performance of the car is pretty underwhelming in that it is sluggish and has considerable turbo lag. Further, the fuel economy is poor around 23-26 mpg on premium fuel (turbo model). Poor quality in material, lots of cheap plastics and fabrics in the interior. You would think paying 24k for a car that the interior would have some type of leather covering. The front seats are not holding up well, the seat cushion has pretty much worn away. Therefore when I am driving I am pretty much sitting on the seat frame. Reliability is poor, the blower motor for the heater/ air conditioner failed at 3k miles. Presently, the blower motor for the AC/Heater decided to stop working again so I have an appointment to take the car back to the dealership for the same problem! I have owned this car for one year and it has under 30K miles and it has been in the shop twice. I hate to think about how reliable this car will be in a couple more years."

great car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "style comfort reliablilty"

Cons: "no sunroof"

"great car, fun to drive, reliable.."

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

"I have the TDI convertible with 6 speed manual transmission. After 10,000 I have had no major problems, it continues to run very well. The only problems I have experienced: 1) The auto windows getting stuck. The windows automatically go down a 1/2 inch when you go to open the door. When the temp first dropped below freezing and there was frost, these would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, then you'd have to reset the power windows. The dealer sprayed some silicon lube on the window seals and that seems to take care of it. But probably need to do that before every cold season. 2) Rear visibility is poor. I knew this going in, you have to be very careful backing out of the driveway, parking spots, changing lanes. Rely more on the side mirrors, and I'm considering an after market reverse camera. 3)There are a few more small paint chips on the hood than I would expect after 8 months and 10,000 miles. Could be all the salt during a harsh winter getting thrown off the road, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Otherwise it is a fun car to drive, but more fun in the warm weather with the top down. The top drops ridiculously fast, I even "raced" the top against a friend's BMW 1 series convertible, and it was much faster. You can put it down while moving up to 30mph too which is nice. Never had a car with Bluetooth either, that is a feature I'm hooked on. Initial acceleration is pretty good, mileage is up around 45mpg on the highway. As a guy, I'm getting less people making fun of it and more people liking it than I expected too."

Form over function

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: ""peppy" drivetrain"

Cons: "uncomfortable, along with poor visibility"

"This review is based on a 7-day rental. My car was in the shop for repairs required by a parking lot hit and run. I was assigned a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle as a loaner for the duration. The VW had 2.5L 5-cyl engine with a 6-spd auto. The drive train was OK. Enough power, but it did not deliver it smoothly. It torqued up quickly, but unevenly - with a lot of noise. The ride and handling were OK but not particularly impressive. The interior was cramped and uncomfortable, and the visibility - both front and rear - was horrible. If you think this car is "cute" and that's all that matters, go ahead and buy it. I think VW builds a quality product (I have owned 4 of them - in the distant past). However, a VW Golf might be a much more practical choice. As I drove my 2009 Accord (with 58,000 miles) home from the shop, it felt like I was driving a brand new car - in comparison. Better ride, handling, visibility, comfort - and it was much quieter. Shop wisely. "Cute" can only take you so far."

Form over function

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: ""peppy" drivetrain"

Cons: "uncomfortable, along with poor visibility"

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next