2013 Volkswagen Beetle

7.3

Based on 44 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.4/10
    7.2/10

The VW proved "you can't go back in time "!

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun for short rides, great price."

Cons: "Steering is very loose!"

"Having had a 1966 VW in 1976, I was young, much lighter and had no car experience, I was 23. I loved my bug, with no heat, no air, and no working defrosters, it was my baby. I grew up and moved on with different types of cars, staying with more mid size comfort type cars. So, no judging please, I knew their would be major differences in ride etc. when I went with the bug! When the new remodeled VW bug rolled out in 2012, I fell into the nostalgia trance of the old 1966 bug. I drove the 2012 found it to be a lot of fun and decided to lease one. First, it is a lot of fun to drive, it is smart looking, and it has more head room than you were expect. However, I can not tolerate any trip more than 1 hr as you feel everything the road has to offer, dips,rough roads etc., the steering is my main issue. The wheel is so loose you must keep both hands on the wheel at all times in a death like grip, ensuring you don't go off the road!! I did bring the car back to check it out, I was told that the steering is working as designedly! I am trading this puppy in even as we speak."

A quirky but unmistakable icon!

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Character, comfortable, quick, fun."

Cons: "So-so fuel economy, some interior quality issues"

"I bought my 2012 Beetle as a certified pre-owned vehicle from a local VW dealership. It has been the car of my dreams since I was a kid (even though I am a guy). I bought my Tornado Red bug cash and drove home with a smile on my face. Mine had the window issue, which was replaced under warranty. I also had my seat cushion replaced from collapsing (no, I am not fat), a few speakers replaced due to rattling, and an attempt at silencing some squeaks and rattles in the interior. Everything was replaced effortlessly, but the squeaks and rattles come and go. In the bigger picture, it is a minor issue. It is roomy up front (I am 6ft tall) and is comfortable for extended drives. It rides well and soaks up bumps. It isn't "sporty" but can definitely be tossed around a bit. Mechanically the car is a dream. The 2.5 5 cylinder is the safe way to go; it is a tried and true powertrain with the 6-speed auto. It is not fast, but very torquey and pulls. Gas mileage lags in city, and could be better highway but VW's gas engines were never known to be fuel efficient. I average about 23-24 mpg in mixed driving and 29-30 mpg on full highway trips. Not too bad when you consider the size of the engine and the power you get. All in all, I am completely satisfied with my bug. I plan to never get rid of it and keep it by my side, even as a second car. It is an unmistakable fashion statement and icon. It is something that people of all ages can point out in a crowd. Buy one, but get a later model (2013+) they seemed to have worked the bugs out of those. (no pun intended haha)"

best car ever

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pros: "great price, comfort seating, good traction"

Cons: "doesn't pump its own gas"

"This is my 3rd VW Beetle in a row. I had a 1999, 2006 and now this, my 2013. I have traveled the US from Maine to Florida and NJ to CA. I won't drive anything else unless someone would give me a free car. I will only buy VW products. Best comfort for sitting long periods of time. I have even slept in the car comfortably during my travels and I am 5'10". I get about 34 mpg/hwy when the avg norm is 28 mpg/hwy. I recommend this car to anyone who doesn't have to haul a houseful, although I have moved a studio apt in mine. Take care of your car and it will take care of you."

FANATSTIC CAR, TRULY A WELL ENGINEERED AUTOMOBILE

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

Pros: "price, horsepower, design, a blast to drive, mpg"

"2012 Launch Edition Beetle. This car has been a solid, solid well built vehicle. This car is very well designed. Handles corners very well. This car is high class German engineering at its finest. 200 horsepower, other than a little turbo lag, this little car is quick. I am a little under 6 foot tall and around 300 pounds, and I am not cramped in this car, however the driver's seat is designed for someone a bit smaller. I commute to work which is hills and curves and I average 35.5 mpg. Now that premium fuel is reasonably priced, filling it up. Trunk area will surprise you with how much it will hold. Tires are somewhat expensive and not eas to find (19") but look great and handle very well."

Excellent Quallity and Design

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "great price point very fun to drive"

Cons: "back seat accessability"

"Very Sporty Fun to Drive Handles like a sports car. The styling was my first attraction along with the price point."

Love this vehicle, bought for wife

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Great sound system, much fun to drive."

Cons: "None, just need the van."

top down

"Great vehicle, we love it. Bought it for the wife. She has became wheel chair bound and only got to drive it one time. Will sell to get handicapped van."

top down

Fun and interesting

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun. Good mileage."

Cons: "Not smooth."

"I have the Fender turbo and got it at 16,000 two months ago and I have added 4,000 miles. I am still exploring its possibilities, meaning how hard and fast can I throw it into a corner, how quickly it will get going and how well it grips. The story so far: It is easy to spin the front wheels because of the low down torque and front drive. The torques all come together at 1700 with a rush, even though the scroller is running from go. In normal drive the lag is too long to be confident in sudden maneuvers but in sport it is much better. You can also have it in nanny tiptronic; put it in the gear you want and if you are stressing the engine too much it will put you back in drive. Once you have everything together...look out! You will be up somebody' s butt before you know it and hoping the breaks kick in before it becomes a life long relationship. Yes, the breaks are an issue; like the engine, it is a while before they wake up and do their thing, once they do, it is suddenly and with a grab. But all of this doesn't matter at all if you've found the right HD station, you will be too lost listening to the amazing clarity, depth and isolation of the different instruments and voices. Along those lines: at night get out of the car quickly or you will just sit there listening to the music and looking at all the great design details of the dash: the cool red glow of the speaker bezel and subtle light coming from the door trim. How they do that I have no idea. Who knew german designers were hip as well as good? So it is the start of our affair and I for one want to carry on, who knows how it will end up?"

2014 R-line Review

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Distinct look, clean interior, fender sound"

Cons: "Fair turbo lag."

"My rating is based on a 29k r-line beetle. Overall I love my car. it has a distinct look inside and out and is well worth getting the r-line trim. It has a FENDER sound system which is a true luxury. Interior wise the dash with its touchscreen and "carbon fiber" look is clean. The fabric seats are my least favorite when compared to my brother's fabric seats (2012 Golf GTI). I am 5'7 and my brother is 6'2 and we both fit comfortably driving. Back seat is virtually non-existent without front people pressed against dashboard. Basically a 2-seater. There is a tad of turbo lag which isn't the end of the world in my opinion being that i don't slam the gas pedal at every green light. Average driver may not even notice. VW are good, reliable vehicles for the price."

Character

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Handling, price, looks, trunk space, heated seats"

Cons: "Put 36K miles on it way too quickly!"

"If you seek bland styling, this is not the car for you. My Launch edition has been terrific. We get a lot of snow and ice, so I use a set of Blizzak tires, and this little buggy goes anywhere. I've passed stuck SUVs and have felt completely safe with the handling of this car. For me, the Beetle has more character and better road feed-back than the Honda Civic. With the rear seats folded down, I have loaded the back up with incredible amounts of stuff (monthly Sam's shopping!). With the hatch open, even brought a full size refrigerator home once."

Love the Beetle!

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great sound system"

Cons: "no trunk release inside car, blind spots"

"I wanted a Beetle for 10 years, and I finally got the Turbo convertible when they returned to the market. It is super fun to drive and love the Fender sound system! We also have a Mercedes ML350, but I prefer to drive the Beetle! Aside from a few minor things such as no trunk release from inside the car and the doors ding easily, I love the car!"

Outstanding, fun, zippy, smart car!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Funnest car ever!!"

Cons: "Backseat a little uncomfortable for passengers."

"I get more looks and compliments on this car! It is a showstopper everywhere I go heads turn! Funnest car ever!"

Love it but missing a few things

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Adorable, Roomy in Front"

Cons: "no: arm rest, backseat lights, power seats"

"My beetle is fun to drive. It has an optional sports gear when I need to move fast. I love the new exterior look and the vehicle has never had any mechanical issues. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, despite a few interior items I feel my beetle needs but doesn't have. My beetle needs an arm rest and interior lighting for the center and back of the vehicle. The indoor lights only light the front and everything else is pitch dark at night. The other two items I would really like to have are power seats and control buttons on the steering wheel."

For the price, it has been a satisfying ride.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "cute car"

Cons: "can't think of one now."

"It has performed well for around the town drive - to and from work - it all kinds of weather.The back seats are useless since it is a very tight and uncomfortable ride for a passenger. However for my use it serves its purpose - a ide to and from work."

Not a good car

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking car"

Cons: "Fuel economy, performance, reliability"

"This is my second time having a VW Beetle. The first one was a 1998 Bug which was a very unreliable car. It had the well known window problems, air conditioning and heater core had to be replaced and at 60K the head gasket cracked. That was the worse car I have ever owned. After that experience I told myself that I would never buy a VW again, well that all changed fourteen years later when the new 2012 beetles arrived. I was thinking that after all of these years the quality and reliability of the VW beetle should have improved. So, I decided to give VW another try, which was a bad mistake. The performance of the car is pretty underwhelming in that it is sluggish and has considerable turbo lag. Further, the fuel economy is poor around 23-26 mpg on premium fuel (turbo model). Poor quality in material, lots of cheap plastics and fabrics in the interior. You would think paying 24k for a car that the interior would have some type of leather covering. The front seats are not holding up well, the seat cushion has pretty much worn away. Therefore when I am driving I am pretty much sitting on the seat frame. Reliability is poor, the blower motor for the heater/ air conditioner failed at 3k miles. Presently, the blower motor for the AC/Heater decided to stop working again so I have an appointment to take the car back to the dealership for the same problem! I have owned this car for one year and it has under 30K miles and it has been in the shop twice. I hate to think about how reliable this car will be in a couple more years."

great car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "style comfort reliablilty"

Cons: "no sunroof"

"great car, fun to drive, reliable.."

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

"I have the TDI convertible with 6 speed manual transmission. After 10,000 I have had no major problems, it continues to run very well. The only problems I have experienced: 1) The auto windows getting stuck. The windows automatically go down a 1/2 inch when you go to open the door. When the temp first dropped below freezing and there was frost, these would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, then you'd have to reset the power windows. The dealer sprayed some silicon lube on the window seals and that seems to take care of it. But probably need to do that before every cold season. 2) Rear visibility is poor. I knew this going in, you have to be very careful backing out of the driveway, parking spots, changing lanes. Rely more on the side mirrors, and I'm considering an after market reverse camera. 3)There are a few more small paint chips on the hood than I would expect after 8 months and 10,000 miles. Could be all the salt during a harsh winter getting thrown off the road, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Otherwise it is a fun car to drive, but more fun in the warm weather with the top down. The top drops ridiculously fast, I even "raced" the top against a friend's BMW 1 series convertible, and it was much faster. You can put it down while moving up to 30mph too which is nice. Never had a car with Bluetooth either, that is a feature I'm hooked on. Initial acceleration is pretty good, mileage is up around 45mpg on the highway. As a guy, I'm getting less people making fun of it and more people liking it than I expected too."

Cons: "uncomfortable, along with poor visibility"

"This review is based on a 7-day rental. My car was in the shop for repairs required by a parking lot hit and run. I was assigned a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle as a loaner for the duration. The VW had 2.5L 5-cyl engine with a 6-spd auto. The drive train was OK. Enough power, but it did not deliver it smoothly. It torqued up quickly, but unevenly - with a lot of noise. The ride and handling were OK but not particularly impressive. The interior was cramped and uncomfortable, and the visibility - both front and rear - was horrible. If you think this car is "cute" and that's all that matters, go ahead and buy it. I think VW builds a quality product (I have owned 4 of them - in the distant past). However, a VW Golf might be a much more practical choice. As I drove my 2009 Accord (with 58,000 miles) home from the shop, it felt like I was driving a brand new car - in comparison. Better ride, handling, visibility, comfort - and it was much quieter. Shop wisely. "Cute" can only take you so far."

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

Does not deserve the name Volkswagen

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "It looks good."

Cons: "Did not meet my expectations of a Volkswagen."

"I have owned several Volkswagens in the past, from Bugs to Rabbits to a Jetta. I liked the 2001 Jetta so much I kept it for 12 years. This new Beetle is terrible. It's cramped and refuses to go where my former VW's were happy to wander. The final straw was trying to get up my driveway in wet snow - not ice, wet snow. I had to back up and get a running start and still had to spin to make it to the top. I'm going to trade it as soon as possible and will not be going to a Volkswagen dealer."

Best iteration since the vintage Super Beetle

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Most enjoyable Beetle yet !!"

Cons: "30 MPG Are you kidding?"

"This is our 5th Beetles over the years including 3 original Beetles ('73 Super Beetle which I still own) and the old 'New Beetle' Cabriolet. So far, I love everything about it. I love the power of the 2.0 Liter turbo. I love the smooth shifting 6 speed manual transmission. It drives so much nicer than the old new Beetle. It doesn't even have a 3 feet long dash board or the less than useful flower vase. I love the ability to stream Bluetooth audio, two tiers glove boxes, big cup holders, cool lighting effects and the cool albeit fake flat-four-noise they piped over the speakers. I love the new wide stance, alloy pedals, dual exhaust, big rear wing and the big 18" wheels too!!! The downside of the entire car is fuel consumption. There are many vehicles with bigger engine displacement and more cylinders that get much better fuel economy. They're just not as much fun."

Wonderful...So Far

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Turbo, Retro interior, Handeling"

Cons: "I'm a guy in a beetle :-/"

"Can't complain, yet. I get about 8-9 days out of the gas tank. The Turbo is great. Looks 10 times better than the last design. The red/white/blue interior lighting is amusing as well."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Beetle near Honolulu. See local deals