• 2014 Compact Cars

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,242 - $24,601.

10/7.3

6.7

Based on 29 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

6.4/10
    7.3/10
    6.8/10
    6.7/10
    7.0/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

"I have the TDI convertible with 6 speed manual transmission. After 10,000 I have had no major problems, it continues to run very well. The only problems I have experienced: 1) The auto windows getting stuck. The windows automatically go down a 1/2 inch when you go to open the door. When the temp first dropped below freezing and there was frost, these would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, then you'd have to reset the power windows. The dealer sprayed some silicon lube on the window seals and that seems to take care of it. But probably need to do that before every cold season. 2) Rear visibility is poor. I knew this going in, you have to be very careful backing out of the driveway, parking spots, changing lanes. Rely more on the side mirrors, and I'm considering an after market reverse camera. 3)There are a few more small paint chips on the hood than I would expect after 8 months and 10,000 miles. Could be all the salt during a harsh winter getting thrown off the road, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Otherwise it is a fun car to drive, but more fun in the warm weather with the top down. The top drops ridiculously fast, I even "raced" the top against a friend's BMW 1 series convertible, and it was much faster. You can put it down while moving up to 30mph too which is nice. Never had a car with Bluetooth either, that is a feature I'm hooked on. Initial acceleration is pretty good, mileage is up around 45mpg on the highway. As a guy, I'm getting less people making fun of it and more people liking it than I expected too."

Cons: "uncomfortable, along with poor visibility"

"This review is based on a 7-day rental. My car was in the shop for repairs required by a parking lot hit and run. I was assigned a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle as a loaner for the duration. The VW had 2.5L 5-cyl engine with a 6-spd auto. The drive train was OK. Enough power, but it did not deliver it smoothly. It torqued up quickly, but unevenly - with a lot of noise. The ride and handling were OK but not particularly impressive. The interior was cramped and uncomfortable, and the visibility - both front and rear - was horrible. If you think this car is "cute" and that's all that matters, go ahead and buy it. I think VW builds a quality product (I have owned 4 of them - in the distant past). However, a VW Golf might be a much more practical choice. As I drove my 2009 Accord (with 58,000 miles) home from the shop, it felt like I was driving a brand new car - in comparison. Better ride, handling, visibility, comfort - and it was much quieter. Shop wisely. "Cute" can only take you so far."

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

Does not deserve the name Volkswagen

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "It looks good."

Cons: "Did not meet my expectations of a Volkswagen."

"I have owned several Volkswagens in the past, from Bugs to Rabbits to a Jetta. I liked the 2001 Jetta so much I kept it for 12 years. This new Beetle is terrible. It's cramped and refuses to go where my former VW's were happy to wander. The final straw was trying to get up my driveway in wet snow - not ice, wet snow. I had to back up and get a running start and still had to spin to make it to the top. I'm going to trade it as soon as possible and will not be going to a Volkswagen dealer."

Best iteration since the vintage Super Beetle

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Most enjoyable Beetle yet !!"

Cons: "30 MPG Are you kidding?"

"This is our 5th Beetles over the years including 3 original Beetles ('73 Super Beetle which I still own) and the old 'New Beetle' Cabriolet. So far, I love everything about it. I love the power of the 2.0 Liter turbo. I love the smooth shifting 6 speed manual transmission. It drives so much nicer than the old new Beetle. It doesn't even have a 3 feet long dash board or the less than useful flower vase. I love the ability to stream Bluetooth audio, two tiers glove boxes, big cup holders, cool lighting effects and the cool albeit fake flat-four-noise they piped over the speakers. I love the new wide stance, alloy pedals, dual exhaust, big rear wing and the big 18" wheels too!!! The downside of the entire car is fuel consumption. There are many vehicles with bigger engine displacement and more cylinders that get much better fuel economy. They're just not as much fun."

Wonderful...So Far

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Turbo, Retro interior, Handeling"

Cons: "I'm a guy in a beetle :-/"

"Can't complain, yet. I get about 8-9 days out of the gas tank. The Turbo is great. Looks 10 times better than the last design. The red/white/blue interior lighting is amusing as well."

Waited all my life for this car..We Love it!!

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "design, interior space, fit and trim, handeling"

Cons: "no center arm rest, seats not easy to adjust"

"When I was a kid growing up in the 70's, my parents owned a 69 Bug. Growing up in Chicago meant in the winter, we still needed to wear coats, gloves, hats and scarfs inside the Bug, because the heaters were....well pretty much useless. Later in life in the mid 80's I spent the summer with my mom in San Diego. Seemed like there was an endless supply of VW's in southern California. I found one at a dealership ('71) that i fell in love with. I wasnt able to buy that car, but I'll never forget drooling over that simple candy apple red Beetle. So, now that I am in my 40's, overweight and no where near the physical shape i was in back then, my wife and I, and 16 year old daughter fell in love with the 2012-2013 newly designed Beetle. Problem was that at nearly 6' tall and 300 pounds, I figured I'd never fit in the car, even though the bug and I share similar shape ( Lol ). So yesterday my wife and i set out to replace one of our vehicles. I suggested that she go ahead and take a test drive with our salesman, to avoid the embarassment of not being able to fit in the car. After they both insisted that I come along, I got into the passenger seat, and I stepped back in time 30 years. I immediately smiled from ear to ear. This was a 2013 black 2.5 automatic. I was so glad that they insisted that I get in it. I fit just fine. Now, for my rating and opinion. I have owned more than 40 cars in my life time. I drove tractor-trailers for years and was a police officer for more than a decade. My opinion may not be "professional" but definitely "well experienced". This car reminded us both very much like thr handling and responsiveness of a 3 series BMW. Both the steering and acceleration is amazing. We now live in rural Arkansas with lots of hills, mountains and curvy roads. This beetle is so fun to drive. The stereo is adequate, fantastic heat and AC. (ha ha) but besides the performance and awesome new look ( lowered roof line ) the interior is suprisingly spacious as compared to Bugs I was used to. Very quiet ride too. There are a couple areas that will take some getting used to though. 1.) lack if center arm rest 2.) adjusting seats between drivers takes a while Other than that we love it, and will start looking for another. I didnt care for the cab forward ash design of the "NEW BEETLE" I LOVE THIS DASH THOUGH. !!!"

Not one of the finest Mexico products

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun To Drive Fender is the best"

Cons: "poorly made Mexico product"

"Do not buy one with a sunroof. They are made in Mexico and not strucurally sound. Body creaks, body bangs over bumps, dealer cannot fix after having for nearly 30 days."

good car but could be better.

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "great looking car, swift acceleration"

Cons: "hard to park, steering, low to the ground"

"I have a 2013 black beetle 2.5 base model. i had 2 other Volkswagens which was a 2003 new beetle 2.0 and a 2007 GTI. this beetle i find it is decent car the gas milage is not that great compared to my other volkswagens i get about 20 city and 30 highway. i have about 23000 miles on this car and no issues at the moment. my major complaint is the steering is awful i feel like i am driving huge truck and because of the odd shape it is more difficult to park. this car is decent but i would spend a little extra money and get the turbo."

The "Bug" is back!

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, Sporty and Quick, Comfortable"

Cons: "Plastic Dash!"

"A great little car for the money. If your looking for something with a primo feel and look this is your car. The Turbo model is the way to go! More power and better fuel mileage than the 2.5L. The 2.0 TSI motor is strong and has great reliabilty (I have 2009 VW GTI with the same motor and a lot more miles). The seating is clean and comfortable, even on long 4+ hour trips. Tech and comfort in the car has improved over the out going model(1998-2010). It has enough to keep you happy, but not so much that it takes away from the classic/retro feel."

DONT EVER BUY A BUG

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "easy to park"

Cons: "EVERYTHING ELSE"

"I have owned this bug for 2 years, and my sister owned it before I had. Easily the worst car I have ever had. Found myself stuck on the side of the road more then I was actually driving it. Also both of my doors broke, like the handles? How does that even happen. my air conditioning often went out sometimes if i was to run the air and the radio at the same time it would die. AWFUL PURCHASE"

Very Very Very Good Car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "all of it"

Cons: "the depreciation"

"This car is way under estimated! Its comfortable, very dependable, entertaining to drive, and quick. The build quality is better than you see in most cars. The only disappointing thing is the vakue after a year is a joke so plan on keeping it. People say it has lost half the value and I have no idea why. The Blue tooth is the best, the Fender stereo is the best out there, the panoramic moonroof is awesome. Its just a remarkable car and I average 25 miles in the city better than the sticker."

Love the 2013 Beetle

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"I just bought the 2013 Beetle with Sound, Navigation and Sunroof. I love the way the car handles - very fun to drive. The interior is well thought out and the push button start is pretty cool. I drove a 2002 Turbo before buying this one and I miss the way the back seat could be pulled forward so that the back seat rests could fold flat. The sunroof on the new Beetle does not go all the way back like my old one. Minor differences as I do love this new Beetle...it's also great on gas mileage."

Surpised I like this car-car guy ,girl friend car

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Pros: "Feels good at speed"

Cons: "Head lights"

"2.0 Turbo Manual,Get over the window promblem fix works as should be. V. W. should of taken care of this up front to eliminate bad press handles well not great high speed very stable linkage very nice throttle response is right on at low R.P.M. nice."

i love this car

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "window malfunctioning"

"this is a great car that rides very well and of course looks nice too although the window malfunctioned and had to be repaired other than that it is a wonderful car"

Extremely disappointed.

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful looks"

Cons: "Don't trust it - defective in too many ways."

"I bought my VW Beetle 2012 three months ago. Driving off the forecourt I mentioned the window wasn't working properly. I was told it just needed to be reset. Well, not one day has gone by when it hasn't needed to be reset. The tachometer was frozen, and 46 psi in each tire had somehow been overlooked in their haste to sell me this car! I suspect that the speedometer is also malfunctioning. The mileage is also very poor. I love Beetles - my first and second car was a Beetle. I didn't like the 1st re-design and I waited years until I saw this model. I fell in love with the retro look immediately but I've been hugely let-down, by all involved sales/service staff. I want to give them back my car. I just don't want it any more! We keep being told that our concerns are being "escalated" but no one with any authority phones us back as promised - and we end up again with someone who can't arrange for the car to be returned. The men at the top just don't want to know it seems! (So far the tachometer is the only thing that's been fixed.) When I pay $20,000+ for a car I don't expect it to start spending days at the dealership from the very beginning!"

Dealership buying back

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive!"

Cons: "RECALL"

"These cars need to be recalled due to the window issues. However, in order to recall a car, you have to have a fix. Volkswagen is still two months or so away from having a new motor made to be put into the windows. The digital speedometer is off, causing me to receive speeding tickets. The dealership is letting me out of my contract free and clear. You might want to look into this before you buy one. Biggest mistake so far. And yes, I have spoken with Volkswagen USA and all my information is correct. Call if you don't believe me."

You will love this car

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "Very fun to drive. Cool features, sound, nav, etc."

Cons: "Seat belts not adjustable"

"I own the turbo with the DSG auto transmission. I have owned this car for six weeks and absolutly love driving it. This thing will go 0 to 60 in about 6.5 seconds so it has plenty of power. The 19 inch wheels have Continental Tires on them that offer a ride that is smooth as glass. The four wheel disk brakes stop the car very quickly. If you are an average driver and like to have a little fun, this car handles like a race car. The steering is very responsive and tight. The suspension is a little stiff but makes you feel like you are driving a sports car. When you sit in the lether wraped seats, they hug your body. The seat belts are not adjustable and I do find myself lifting it off my neck. The layout of the interior seems to be very well thought out. I have not noticed anything and said "I wish this was over here". The Fender audio system is one of the best sounding factory installed systems I have ever heard. It is a 400 watt system that is well placed throughout the car. There is one 10 inch subwoofer in the back trunk area. It is built into the wall, so you lose a little cargo space. I have had an issue with the driver side window motor malfunctioning but VW has been very helpful with this matter as they are replacing the window motor. The only reason I'm not giving this car a 10 is because there are some things like power seats that would have been a really nice addition. All in all, excellent job VW. Very fun car to drive. Definitly NOT a "chick" car anymore."

Very Cool

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Looks, Fast,Comfy,"

Cons: "Deciding what color to buy!"

"Have researched and will be buying one soon. We have looked at everything and still keep coming back to this fun lovin car!"

Superb German quality - extremely solid

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Great handling like a gokart! Excellent quality"

Cons: "None so far!"

My car on delivery day!

"Had an 07 Civic - no match for the Beetle - very tight and solid construction - excellent handling with the standard Conti tires - the standard 170 hp and 6 speed automatic are quite responsive and smooth. Love the interior - like a mini Audi - everyone thinks it has leather seats - and the heated seats and mirrors are nice to have for winter in NY - radio has great sound - car has been getting about 32 mpg on highway as shown on car's dashboard computer. Beetle gets lots of thumbs-up as the 1967 retro styling is fun to look at. I love the car so much that i am buying a new Golf in the spring to replace my 07 Honda Fit!"

My car on delivery day!

an exotic beetle

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "fun fun car head turner"

Cons: "more roar on the engine when you step on gas"

"this is a head turner, looks like porsche. it has a much softer ride than a porshe and it handles the road close to one. has plenty of power up winding hills i drove it up 3,000ft. mountain in drive and it never hesitated in the climb.it also has real good stoping power from its 4 disc brakes. awsome sound system"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25