2013 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,873 - $23,258.

10/7.3

6.7

Based on 29 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

6.4/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

"I have the TDI convertible with 6 speed manual transmission. After 10,000 I have had no major problems, it continues to run very well. The only problems I have experienced: 1) The auto windows getting stuck. The windows automatically go down a 1/2 inch when you go to open the door. When the temp first dropped below freezing and there was frost, these would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, then you'd have to reset the power windows. The dealer sprayed some silicon lube on the window seals and that seems to take care of it. But probably need to do that before every cold season. 2) Rear visibility is poor. I knew this going in, you have to be very careful backing out of the driveway, parking spots, changing lanes. Rely more on the side mirrors, and I'm considering an after market reverse camera. 3)There are a few more small paint chips on the hood than I would expect after 8 months and 10,000 miles. Could be all the salt during a harsh winter getting thrown off the road, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Otherwise it is a fun car to drive, but more fun in the warm weather with the top down. The top drops ridiculously fast, I even "raced" the top against a friend's BMW 1 series convertible, and it was much faster. You can put it down while moving up to 30mph too which is nice. Never had a car with Bluetooth either, that is a feature I'm hooked on. Initial acceleration is pretty good, mileage is up around 45mpg on the highway. As a guy, I'm getting less people making fun of it and more people liking it than I expected too."

Cons: "uncomfortable, along with poor visibility"

"This review is based on a 7-day rental. My car was in the shop for repairs required by a parking lot hit and run. I was assigned a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle as a loaner for the duration. The VW had 2.5L 5-cyl engine with a 6-spd auto. The drive train was OK. Enough power, but it did not deliver it smoothly. It torqued up quickly, but unevenly - with a lot of noise. The ride and handling were OK but not particularly impressive. The interior was cramped and uncomfortable, and the visibility - both front and rear - was horrible. If you think this car is "cute" and that's all that matters, go ahead and buy it. I think VW builds a quality product (I have owned 4 of them - in the distant past). However, a VW Golf might be a much more practical choice. As I drove my 2009 Accord (with 58,000 miles) home from the shop, it felt like I was driving a brand new car - in comparison. Better ride, handling, visibility, comfort - and it was much quieter. Shop wisely. "Cute" can only take you so far."

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "TDI mileage, fun to drive, convertible enjoyment"

Cons: "auto windows sticking in winter, rear visibility"

Does not deserve the name Volkswagen

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "It looks good."

Cons: "Did not meet my expectations of a Volkswagen."

"I have owned several Volkswagens in the past, from Bugs to Rabbits to a Jetta. I liked the 2001 Jetta so much I kept it for 12 years. This new Beetle is terrible. It's cramped and refuses to go where my former VW's were happy to wander. The final straw was trying to get up my driveway in wet snow - not ice, wet snow. I had to back up and get a running start and still had to spin to make it to the top. I'm going to trade it as soon as possible and will not be going to a Volkswagen dealer."

Best iteration since the vintage Super Beetle

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Most enjoyable Beetle yet !!"

Cons: "30 MPG Are you kidding?"

"This is our 5th Beetles over the years including 3 original Beetles ('73 Super Beetle which I still own) and the old 'New Beetle' Cabriolet. So far, I love everything about it. I love the power of the 2.0 Liter turbo. I love the smooth shifting 6 speed manual transmission. It drives so much nicer than the old new Beetle. It doesn't even have a 3 feet long dash board or the less than useful flower vase. I love the ability to stream Bluetooth audio, two tiers glove boxes, big cup holders, cool lighting effects and the cool albeit fake flat-four-noise they piped over the speakers. I love the new wide stance, alloy pedals, dual exhaust, big rear wing and the big 18" wheels too!!! The downside of the entire car is fuel consumption. There are many vehicles with bigger engine displacement and more cylinders that get much better fuel economy. They're just not as much fun."

Wonderful...So Far

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Turbo, Retro interior, Handeling"

Cons: "I'm a guy in a beetle :-/"

"Can't complain, yet. I get about 8-9 days out of the gas tank. The Turbo is great. Looks 10 times better than the last design. The red/white/blue interior lighting is amusing as well."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25