• 2014 Compact Cars

2013 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,926 - $14,301.

10/6.2

Based on 19 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Yaris: 10/10 in reliability but lacking elsewhere

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "TPS, nine airbags, stability control, gas mileage"

Cons: "manual windows, spaciousness, body style/design"

"I give the 2012 Toyota Yaris 5dr Liftback Auto LE model an overall 6/10 rating. I have yet to have any major mechanical issues with this model or my previous 2007 Toyota Yaris Base 4dr Sedan model, which had 130,000 miles on it before I traded it in for this 2012 model. My main reason for staying with the Toyota Yaris was due to the excellent gas mileage, low maintenance costs, and superb maneuverability and drivability benefits. Unfortunately, when it comes down to comfort and overall value of what you're getting, there is much to be desired in comparison to the 2007 Toyota Yaris. This 2012 model has had a complete body style transformation. Personally, I'm not a fan of the missing arm rest, bizarre hatchback body style (which basically has the visual appeal of a miniaturized mini-van), the still prevalent manual windows, the exact same laggy engine, and the small viewing window reversal which now sits in the front window area instead of the rear. With the small viewing window being positioned up front now, it makes it easier for potential thieves to bust out that window and have direct access to the interior automatic door locks. In the 2007 Yaris, the viewing window being in the back was genius because the sideways styled locks could not be accessed easily by a thief. On the other hand, the bonuses of the 2012 model versus the 2007 model are the TPS (tire pressure sensor) detection, cruise control, automatic door locks (only from the inside of the vehicle), nine airbags (yes, you read that right), stability control, actual gas gauge meter (goodbye silly battery style gas meter that the 2007 model bore), and mostly black interior which used to be only for the sportier SE models. Overall, this model is just as gas efficient and easy to drive as its fore sisters, is safer (as far as airbags are concerned), and has some useful additional features that its predecessor didn't offer. It may not be the prettiest or sportiest or most spacious compact sedan out there, but at the end of the day, "it's a car!""

Easy and fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Affordable, Fun to drive, Gas Mileage, Comforatble"

Cons: "No center console"

"When I bought this car I was an inexperienced driver, but when I drove it home I was incredulous at the ease of driving the car. It handles like a dream but it not overly sensitive nor dull. It is comfortable to drive and extremely agile. Most importantly it was affordable, but came with all the features I want. I recommend this car to young drivers who are still getting comfortable driving and to people who want an affordable, agile, and comfortable ride."

Love it!

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "trunk, gas mileage, turn radius, responsive"

Cons: "no armrest"

"No lie, when I first got it, I was like, what have I done?! After a few days with it, I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it. I love the spacious cabin; it's huge. Bluetooth comes standard, fun to drive, and it looks pretty good too. I had it for a week and people were giving me compliments. I love that it's small but still drives like a predator. Parking is a breeze, particularly parallel parking and even tight spots are no problem. Trunk plus drop down seats, there isn't anything my car can't haul. My car can get around anything and everything. K-Turns? This car doesn't know what that is. The turn radius is ridiculous! Usually, it's a two-point turn even on a tiny street! During Hurricane Sandy, there were cars lined up behind downed trees and small spaces. I had no problem getting through and, not to mention, gas on this guy, I'll go three to four weeks without filling up and when I do, it's no more than $40. Negatives, no armrest, but I easily purchased a universal one and you'd never be able to tell it didn't come with it. I could go on forever on the topic to why I love this car. I'm having fun customizing it and really making it my own. Even when I do get a new car, I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep Trooper around."

bought a used loved it! went and bought a new 2014

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "reliable,sporty,comfortable interior,fun to drive"

"Bought a used 2007 for fuel economy.. never had owned a hatchback or a compact for that matter ..my wife and I loved it so much we decided to give our daughter the 2007 and we bought a 2014 SE for everyday commute.. Great gas mileage and very comfortable and reliable ..did I mention the 2007 has 120000 miles and literally drives like New.. if you want horsepower it is not the car for you.. I have a 2013 dodge challenger rt with a HEMI v8 for horsepower.. but if I was to choose i would keep the yaris..At 40mpg it's a no brainer! and there is no new car that is inexpensive every new car is expensive!"

Worst vehicle I have ever rented

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

I don't own this car

"Fuel economy and handling is good. Acceleration is sometimes sluggish. Road noise is unbearable, especially on freeway. Visibility is limited due to headrests. Prior to renting, I had entertained the purchase of a Yaris, but would will not as result of rental experience. I have a 2006 Corolla and 1996 Camry (235,000+). Both put the Yaris to shame and road noise is at least 75% less."

Great little car for a teen

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "Great price, Great gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "No middle arm rests, does not accelerate well."

"Great vehicle for a young person. I was 17 years old when i decided I wanted my Toyota Yaris. Not thinking it through, I got the basic model without power windows or locks (Stupid decision on my part, I know). However, after having the car for a year.. I have found that there is GREAT gas mileage, for a full tank where I am it is only $30 to fill the tank and lasts me a good two weeks. The car literally drives - and rides like a go cart. Which is great and fun, but now that I am older, and driving longer distances I have found that the car is VERY uncomfortable for long drives. Like I said, this is a wonderful, affordable car for teenagers and younger people, but if you are looking for a luxury vehicle this is not it. I am looking at trading in the vehicle now for an upgrade.. I have issues with large trucks and 18 wheelers coming over into my lane on top of me -whether that be bad luck or not, it hasn't happened as often as it does when I drive the Yaris. Also, when I am trying to accelerate onto the nterstate it is VERY hard to get the car up to speed in a short acceleration lane. BEWARE and be ready to have to break and/or swerve when you can't accelerate and people won't let you over. BUT It has been a great, very reliable, cheap little car."

Best Kept Secret

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Too many to list"

Cons: "No armrest, easily fixed with leather pillow"

"I rented many vehicles from Enterprise and Hertz to "live with" all the models I was considering (and to see how they had held-up with all the different crazy drivers they see), and the Yaris' were always "tight and right" regardless of how many rental-car thrashing miles were on them...except one particular Yaris (I rented 3 different Yaris' once I narrowed my search down) that had been wrecked and had a very worn tire that roared on the highway. But it still drove pretty good considering what it had been through and they were still renting it out. This is not a high volume seller for Toyota because of the Corolla and Prius C being priced slightly higher than the Yaris. That is a shame, for it might possibly be one of their best built cars. I love the fact that it has the bullet-proof 1.5L engine and old-tech transmission that have been around for "many" years with used one's out there in the 300+ thousand- mile range with very little (if any) problems. Plenty of space for larger people, great legroom in back. Trunk space kinda small with rear seats up, but fold them down?....and you get a "lot" of room back there (enough for two people to go to the beach for a week or camping for a week). Rides great, gas mileage is great, it is pretty quiet on the road (never understood how the Car Magazines said it is noisy....try a Rio5 when it is cold...sounds like a blender grating ice. That worried me when the Rio5 salesman said "That is Gas Direct Injection Technology, it quiets down once it warms up" I did not like that at all. And many small cars are going to that Gas Direct Injection...except the Yaris..."yay"). The old-tech transmission on the Yaris is a smooth, very simple automatic transmission that does not need 5th or 6th gearing. It is a road cruiser! It keeps up with and passes traffic plenty-fine...quite peppy once broken-in correctly! The simplicity of the car is what attracted me compared to Rio5, Accent, Fiesta, Fiat, Versa and Fit. Did not try the Mazda2 due to past experience with that company. The Yaris' just felt better built than those others and too many features eventually break after time and are not cheap to fix. The only thing I do not like is that the dash and door panels can mark-up easily (have to keep a microfiber towel around) and the bluetooth has cut-out on me once in a while...probably the fault of my flip phone and no tachometer except on the SE Model. But I do enjoy this car. Sure, I could have bought something more exciting, but the Yaris is fun, simple, comfortable and the "VERY Simple Maintenance" requirements make it a great value as well. It does not pretend to be something it is not. I got it for a very fair price...some dealers are willing to deal. It has the features you truly only need (power everything, remote, tilt, a/c, cruise, great stereo, bluetooth)and nothing more. It is worth a look."

LOVE IT! 2013 Yaris is Just What a Car Should Be.

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Efficient...Fun to Drive!"

Cons: "None to Speak Of. Love This Car!"

"This car really satisfies! Toyota is known for its Reliability and the Yaris is no exception. This car is going to be there every single time you need it. Another plus for the Yaris is the Simplicity. It's interior is designed to provide everything you need but no extra clutter and frills. Excellent stereo, built in Bluetooth for streaming Pandora or what have you, adequate cup holders etc. Everything you need and nothing you don't. What is most lovebale? The Yaris' Fuel Efficiency. This car "sips" gas. I average at least 41 MPG. I LOVE IT...I am absolutely in love with this car."

Completely Enthralled With My 2013 Yaris L Coupe!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Awesome MPG's - Roomy - Comfortable - FUN"

"Never in my life have I been so excited about a new car purchase as I have been with this car. I have driven MANY cars in the past 30-35 years, but this one is just fantastic. Maybe it's my age (52) and the idea of simplifying transportation from Point A to Point B...Regardless, this 2013 Yaris L is a keeper. This is my first Toyota, should have bought one years ago. Even being the base model, it has more than enough goodies for me. Air Conditioning, Power Locks, Tilt Wheel, 6 Speaker Stereo System with a CD player & iPod capability, awesome sound. Gas mileage is excellent, the MPG ratings on the Yaris are VERY conservative. I can drive a month on a 10.5 gallon tank of gas, now THAT is fun. Controls are easy to use, you sit high in the seats and they are extremely comfortable and supportive. Engine compartment is very roomy & this car will be easy to work on (oil changes, belts, etc.) in the years to come. Back seat area is huge if you ask me, the whole interior is a perfect personal space. It is a blast to drive, very responsive throttle and the 4 speed auto shifts flawlessly. Loads of storage & safety features, too. Air blows COLD, the switches work with precision (lights, locks, fan speed) brakes are tight and do not fade, it is a pleasure to drive. Love the dashboard and the interior trim is sturdy and pleasing. If you are tired of $300.00 plus monthly gas charges - Test drive the Yaris - It's a 2,300 pound go-kart with air conditioning that will make you feel like a kid again!"

Had it as a rental, Loved it so bought one.

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, agility, size"

Cons: "No arm rest, Easily damaged materials"

"Just purchased my 2013 Yaris LE 3-door. I love the drive and I get great gas mileage. I had the rental prior to my purchase and in a week, I used a little under a half a tank. I drove it quite a bit actually, Both in city and highway. Only qualms I have are no arm rests, easily dirtied and scratched hard materials in the dash, and no tachometer (Only on SE model). Besides that, This car is absolutely amazing to drive, It's super fun for me. I like that they are using a tried and true engine/transmission combination. After seeing older Yaris models with 100K + miles, I definitely am looking forward to the reliability!"

Enjoyable

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Side view mirrors manual"

"I bought this car recently and have enjoyed driving it. It gets great gas milaeage. I drove to Palm Springs and back on 1/2 a tank. Compared to a bigger car that is really good. Living in Los Angeles means you must have a car. The public transportation is really bad here. So an economical car, that fits my budget, is really necessary. It has a great turning radius and is comfortable. It is larger that my last car, a Nissan Sentra that was 14 years old. The interior is not luxury, but I am not a traveling sales man. I don't live in my car. I just enjoy driving it.It also has five different places to put your drink. Three of them convenient to the driver."

Best car out there!

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "practical, fun to drive, great value, convenient"

Cons: "nothing"

"I'm always recommending this car to everyone I meet that has anything to say about it. Mine is a 2010 and has now 22000+ miles on it and running the same as it was when it drove off the lot. It's my first Toyota and I can see why the engines have such a good rep. The Yaris is so tiny yet so practical in every way imaginable. You can park this thing anywhere, the turning radius allows you to pull a U-turn on any street, and the handling feels like a much more expensive sport hatch. The listed economy figures are very conservative: I get 40mpg easily, and I can do that while still having the oomph to pass most cars I see on the road. Granted, mind is a manual which gives me an edge, but it's just so much fun to drive and doesn't break the bank. I was amazed at how much storage space there is inside; they put compartments everywhere, even a second glove box behind the steering wheel. Really smart design. I only took a point off for quality as there is an abundance of cheap-ish plastic, but you're not paying for a Rolls-Royce here so that's ok with me. And the seats could be a bit more comfortable, but I'm pretty short so this is a common problem for me. No other complaints I can think of. This is just a really great car for a fantastic price. On a side note, I'd like to add that it's also designed with impacts in mind. My husband hit a deer on the highway, and no major damage was to be had, just cosmetic. Upon closer inspection, I noticed how the front is designed to transfer energy in the event of a collision, and I'm really glad we were in this car when it happened."

great car to save in space and gas but it shakes !

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"You can expect amazing if you have a toyota Yaris...expect also in windy whether that the car shakes in the highway and really is hard to control the steering. I think people in Toyota should work on this because is the only defect I can mention ..."

The best vehicle I ever had in years

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "i enjoying driving "The Silver Bullet" my car"

Cons: "No Problems"

"I just brought me a 2012 silver 4-door Sedan Toyota Yaris and I enjoy everything. It has the sporty look. Even though I am 36 years old, married with four children, it makes me feel younger again. I already feel young with my four children, but the Yaris made me feel even younger. It's really a nice and reliable car and fits perfect for my children and I. I had a 2002 Chevy Venture van but the motor died in it .I told my self the next vehicle I am going to purchased is an average sized car for my four children and I, and that's what I did. I purchased a Yaris and loving it."

Great car for just out of college!

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"It was between this car and the KIA rio and honestly I know I made the right choice. The only thing I'm not into is it does shake a bit on the highway when you have a wind speed issue, harder to control than I would have expected."

Great Car!!

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "great price, great mpg, lots of room inside"

Cons: "low horsepower engine"

"I love my 2012 Toyota Yaris LE(5 door model). I was really impressed with the amount of space for passengers inside the vehicle. The car is small, but there is plenty of room for everyone. The men in family are not small (my brother is over 6ft tall), and he can sit comfortably in the back. The car rides smooths and has excellent gas mileage. The only issue is that the car is not great for passing, but I read about the car before I bought so I was not surprised. If you want a small car with a lot of power this is not the car for you. However, if you want a reliable car that gets great gas mileage and allows you to have some of the perks (like satellite radio, power windows, etc.) for a low price, then I would recommend this car. We recently drove the car down to Florida for a week vacation and then back home and the car did terrific! I would recommend this car to anyone!"

I just bought a 2009 yaris.. live in the city, gre

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

I don't own this car

"at mileage, parking, a bit small but I have a hatchback so the rear seats fold down. A friend has the same 2009 and recommended it to me. Might not have bought if I had a long commute every day but it is roomier than it looks."

Been great with almost 6k miles now.

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, mpg, reliable, comfortable, handles"

Cons: "small gas tank, no spare tire, not fast"

"Handles well on the highway, great on gas. Getting 40+ mpg at all times. Oil changes every 10k. I'm waiting to see how it does in the snow."

Like this little car

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

I want this car

"Great car, shines on MPG. Nice features and amenities for good value."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25