2008 Toyota Yaris

Based on 762 Ratings for the 2007 - 2011 models.

Super get about town or medium distance drive car

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Price ok but rising, great mpg, good handling, so ugly it's cute"

Cons: "Not for long distance travel - never intended as such"

"Look, you're not going to get the ride or bells and whistles of a BMW, Mercedes or Cadillac. I bought the Yaris (in '07 at 12K) as a second car, for my work as a volunteer driver for the American Red Cross. On average, I pick up blood donations 4 to 8 times a month in the Buffalo, NY area and drive them to Rochester, NY. These trips average 140 miles round trip. Living in NY, the extortionist tax state, gas prices are always 20 plus cents more than the national average. My Yaris is a miser on gas, averaging 40 /- mpg on the road, depending on weather/traffic conditions, as expected. It now has over 68000 miles and the only things I replaced were front brake pads and plugs (myself - they're easily accessible) at 50000 miles and front tires (shoulda rotated). Now the muffler is grumbling like my beloved wife) and I am going to buy a new one. My Yaris is a 5 speed manual, base car. It served its intended purpose well. Quick manuevering, sporty ride (that's "stiff" to those wanting a marshmallow ride), drives well in snow (I live in Buffalo), reliable - has always started and gone even being non-garage housed, and the hatchback provides all the room I need to transport the coolers and boxes of blood I deliver. I would not venture on a cross country trip in it but that's what I have my Dodge Grand Caravan for - to tow my utility trailer, my mini popup camper and to drive my 5 granddaughters around. If you are looking for a zip about town, economical vehicle, buy this guy!!!!"

Can't kill it

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "low gas milage"

Cons: "not for tall people"

"Gets 36-38 mpg ave just change the oil it just keeps on running and running i will die before my toyota does."

Best car ever!

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "GREAT price, drive, easy to park,GREAT on gas!"

Cons: "no mud flaps, leg room in front"

"I have no power ANYTHING! No rear defrost and a 5-speed. Car was brand new and inexpensive!!! Have been rear ended and the car held up pefectly! No engine trouble ever. A little noisy inside the car. Perfect for a single person or a couple with no kids. No real trunk space but the back seat folds down for lots of room!!"

Perfect Economical Sedan Car

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "Simple Sedan Car with money savings on Gas"

Cons: "space problem when run with full seating"

"I won this gem for last 3 years now.It gives a excellent mileage and perfect ride.I easily travel above 350 miles for full tank.The only problem i see is that there is little space crunch if you are riding 4 - 5 people that too if they are above 6 in height."

Fun, Fast, room for 4 real size people

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "fun drive in summer and no problem in ice/snow"

Cons: "Love the large fold away cup holders on the dash"

"This car is cute to look at, small enough to park anywhere. The interior is basic but has lots of leg room front and back. With the back seat down I have transported a large reclianer with the hatch closed and a 8 foot book case with the hatch open. We call it our TARTUS (Dr Who)because its bigger on the inside."

Toyota knows how to build cars!

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Great price. Easy to drive. Much room inside."

Cons: "Absolutely NONE!"

"I bought this car used in 2009. I fell in love with it as soon as I drove it! It has lots of leg room in the back seat. Lots of places to put "stuff" and drink holders on the door instead of in the middle of the car. It has much better pick up for a small car than any Ford, Mercury or Chevy I've ever owned. I like the conciseness of the speedometer, a/c, heat, fan, etc., at the middle of the front console. I am one who keeps my car maintenanced on a regular basis. This car will last me forever!"

Excellent Economical Vehicle -- Most Reliable

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Exceptional Mileage and Good Subcompact car"

Cons: "Little Noisy on Freeway"

"The Car is an excellent in Mileage and very reliable.I have driven many times to Freeway and other roads.It has been pleasant till now."

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Although it's a pretty good car overall, I definitely would NOT purchase one if it snows where you live. In the snow, no matter what gear it is in, it is all over the road, and it does not like to stop (the brakes resist no matter what I do). It does great in good weather, it's usually fun to drive and it gets great gas mileage, but I definitely will NOT buy one again. I also will not be recommending it to anyone, as I cannot recommend a car I cannot trust."

Hey! It's a subcompact

By on Saturday, May 03, 2008

"We have owed our Yaris for almost a year and have over 15,000 miles on it. I have driven it in the blazing sun of a Nevada summer, in rain so bad you couldn't see, 2 feet of snow, and in wind gusts of 50 MPH, even got caught in a dust devil in it. It's a small car, and a 4-cylinder, but I have had no problem passing any vehicle in my travels. We originally bought this car because we needed something reliable after our GM vehicle of only 6 years needed $8,000 worth of repairs. We couldn't be happier with the Yaris. Most people think it's a hybrid and are surprised to find out it's not, but ranks right up there in "greeness" with the hybrids. I love my little car. The best part is not cringing when we have to fill up. I am getting 40 MPH around town and over 43 MPH on the highway. We are religious about maintenance and intend to keep this little sucker until it will run no more."

this is one hot mama

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"wow i never thought in a million years this car would be able to tow my boat to the U.P of Michigan but it really did, I welding a hitch to the back and hauled er' up der. This baby has some nice power for a little guy and enough room for all my firends. I get a few funny looks when im towing my boat and wearing my stormy kromer but hey im saving lots of gas money you know? This car is just great and i would recommend it to anyone"

Not meant for the family

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"I am a 23 year old mother of a 4 year old with special needs. I was the first person to buy a Yaris sedan at my local dealership March of 2006. My car gets an average of 38 miles to the gallon, after I used slick 50. The unique styling still makes people look at me when I drive by and people still ask if its a hybrid. I love the sport shifter and believe it or not, it only takes a few days to get used to everything in the center console. In fact when I use my husbands' camry, it feels awkard. Cons- If you are a long commuter, the seats are not that comfy. Car seats can fit in the rear, but do not put them in the center because your childs feet will be squished. The trunk can accomadate a stroller and a walker, but nothing else."

Excellent vehicle! Value, MPG, Performance!

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value, great performance and handling."

Cons: "Putting the 12V receptacle in the center console."

"I bought this car in March 2011 through a used car dealer affiliated with my credit union. It had 60,600 miles. In 3.5 years, I have driven it 150,000 miles as a courier vehicle, in town (70%) and on the highway (30%). The only thing I have had to replace was the battery (fall 2011); the rest has been regular maintenance (oil changes, tires, shocks, brake pads and shoes). This car has delivered everything I have asked of it (30-32 MPG in town, 38-40 highway). When I need to replace it, I am going to buy another Toyota (this car is my 3rd Toyota)."

40 mpg city 55 mpg HW reliable cheap to own great

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

"For 8 years owing this Yaris I had no mechanical problems.Gas economy is outstanding, much higher than the official figures, and power is more than enough.It looks small but, actually, is bigger than Corollas of the 1990s. Can be parked almost anywhere. Consumer Reports speaks of inconveniences inside the car. For 8 years I haven't discovered them. The interior is somewhat Spartan, but I'll take it anytime combined with the outstanding reliability, economy, and more than adequate power and good overall dynamics on the road."

Toyota goes the distance!

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pros: "Relability, mpg"

Cons: "oddly shape car."

"I purchased my yaris with 23000 miles, i have had this car for 5 years and the vehicle is at 153000miles. I have never had any major issues on the car. The only work i have had done is normal wear and tear items brakes,tires,belts,air filter,oil change,transmission flush. I can confidently say this car will make to 200000 and more! The mpg is very good especially on the highway. I drive from Eaststroudsburg PA to NY on about 1/3 of a tank. (10-11 gallon tank)"

Excellent Value - Easy To Handle, and Park!

By on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pros: "Economical and easy on fuel"

Cons: "Air filter housing will vibrate and rattle."

Photo of My 2007 Yaris 4-Door Sedan Day Before Purchase

"I bought a Yaris to replace my 2006 Scion xA; I was so surprised! This Yaris has more interior room. The Yaris that had been previously leased by one individual only, and the sedan was kept super clean. The dealer cleaned the engine (no steam; could tell it was hand worked with engine degreaser; cleaned the mats and put new tires and front brakes. As far as gas mileage, am getting more than the estimated 29 city / 36 highway (my Scion got 36, consistently in the city and on the highway). The Yaris 4-door sedan is getting 35 city miles per gallon, and about 39-40 highway miles per gallon (and only 87 grade regular fuel). While I LOVED the zip and stability of my Scion--especially the ease in which it always parked and got through traffic, I am finding that my Yaris is as easy to handle, park and move through traffic -- I don't even miss the manual roll-up/roll-down windows! I think the air conditioning cools faster than the Scion did, and am very, very glad to have decided on this car, instead of another Scion."

Photo of My 2007 Yaris 4-Door Sedan Day Before Purchase

Cutest Egg Vehicle!

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Excellent Gas Mileage, Super Cute! Zippy!"

Cons: "No Sunroof :("

"I Bought the Yaris as a gift to myself after graduating college. I average about 32 mpg to about 43 mpg's. (depends on who is driving and where we're driving) I live in Buffalo, in ski country. I have never been stuck, (ABS, and VSC are a major plus)it always starts for me, and is so cute and cozy. For the Yaris being a small car, I can fit a lot of supplies in it. (I go camping and have no problem fitting it all in the yaris) I can fold down the seats and put my two big dogs in it and have them both be comfy. I am also a volunteer EMT, I do not wish people to see my gear in back, so the back cover provided for the trunk is a huge plus, and it helps with privacy. Great Car for not a lot of money!!!"

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"I went from a full size Chevy truck to this car with no problem.I got the S Sedan so no problems with missing anything.My best fill up was 41.7 mpg and worst was 35.3 so I have no complaints about gas mileage.It is much rommier than it appears.The plastic dash does tend to rattle some.The pickup of the car isn't too bad for such a small engine.The wind does whip the car around but nothing that can't be handled so far.I love filling up for 23-27 dollars instead of the 55-60 it took to fill the truck going the same distance."

Safety, Economy, and Reliability

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought my Yaris in May 2007 and have loved it. It handles beautifully, and I get 38-39 mpg. When I insured it, my insurance rate was actually lower for the brand new Yaris than it had been for the four-year-old Dodge Neon. My insurance agent explained that this is because of the Yaris's high safety rating. I had the opportunity to test out the Yaris's safety features two days ago. Another driver hit ice and slammed into my car at a good speed. My air bag deployed, and the front of my car was completely demolished. HOWEVER, the inside of the car looks as though there was no collision at all. I walked out of the wreck with nothing more than some pretty ugly seat belt bruises and air bag pain. Nothing broken! Needless to say, I'm in the process of purchasing my second Toyota Yaris. I'd highly recommend the car to anyone who is looking for quality, safety, and reliability at a reasonable price."

Overall, I'm Happy

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"Indeed. For the money it's a good car. I got into my Yaris sedan (base model) after leaving my Honda CRV. First impressions: Great mileage! Decent power, comfortable for realitively short hops (100 miles round trip). Center mounted speedmoeter/tach was actually one of the selling points for me. The cupholders atop the airvents were not, but they suffice, that is till winter comes and I'm end up drinking hot soda. Another reviewer merntioned that "flat tire" feeling...I just noticed that today and am somewhat stumped. The two biggest gripes I have are in the trunk lid does not stay up very well when parked even on the smallest incline. On more than one occasion I've had it fall on my head while unloading groceries. And the second gripe revolves around the MP3 connection. When I hook up my iPod there is an annoying "whine" that comes over my speaker system, almost as if there should have been a resistor placed somewhere in the deck. But on the whole, I am very happy with the Yaris and would buy one again except the next time I'll spend a few extra bucks and get the power package."

Great car for thr price!

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"I love taking this car on road trips because of the great gas mileage. I have had some issues with it like the outlet not working for my phone charger and I had to brake hard one time to avoid an accident on the freeway and I have taken it to the dealer many times to check it because it feels like I am driving on a flat since then and it still hasn't been resolved."

Very reliable

By on Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pros: "Plenty of comforts for a economy car."

Cons: "Wish I would have waited for rear doors"

"I have owned this car since new. Only standard maintenance has been required. Oil changes at 5000 mile intervals. Still has lots of life left on original brake pads. Paint chips easily. Gets forty miles a gallon at sixty five MPH. Nice little car."

Great small car

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas. Fold rear seats down for more room"

Cons: "Poor emergency handling."

7 years old and still looks great

"I have used this car daily for the last 7 years. I have replaced the brake pads twice and the brake shoes once. I have changed the oil every 5,000 and had to replace a transaxle seal on the right side. Other than that, I have done nothing but put tires on it and gas into it. I would say that this car does have an issue with emergency control. This car is light weight and no matter what tires you put on, be careful on wet roads. Give plenty of room. If you have to do an emergency stop on wet roads you will not be able to stop in a distance that you would like. In the winter I put Les Schwab Observe tires on it, to get through the snow in the Puget Sound. This car is superior in snow."

7 years old and still looks great

Great car, great gas mileage, surprisingly smooth

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

"I've owned this car for a year and a half, and I've driven it to and from work daily, as well as from TN to CA and back plus numerous shorter road trips. The Yaris is quite comfortable for the driver and passenger. The back seat is a bit small, but I usually have the seats laid down for my dogs or to haul things around, and for this it's much roomier than you'd expect. I even slept in the back of this thing on several of my road trips. The Yaris handles really well; the turn radius on it is really just amazing. I also don't feel like I'm getting whipped around in the wind on the interstate, like I felt with my old '98 Prizm. The gas mileage is really amazing too - I average about 37 when I'm driving town and interstate, but for interstate road trips I use E85 to get about 40 mpg. I bought this car because I wanted a relatively inexpensive crossover-type vehicle. A hatchback/hauling-type car with good gas mileage were my biggest considerations. I am 100% satisfied with my Yaris and would absolutely recommend it."

A value: cheap to own and run, fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Cheap to run, fix, maintain"

Cons: "Style, no tachometer, slightly uncomfortable"

"I did a few things to my car like adding the factory sway bar, spolier, and some aftermarket rear lights and fog lights...so it doesn't look like other Yaris's. It also gave it much better handling and looks. The manual 5-speed makes this very quick and I suprise many people by keeping up with sports cars off the line...yet I average almost 40 mpgs! While small cars are not for everyone I have saved a considerable amount of money on gas and maintenance....I've don 99% of the work myself. The brakes lasted over 155k!"

I love this car!!

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "incredible mileage, fun to drive, great quality"

Cons: "seats are a bit firm for my taste"

"I have had my Yaris for 3 years now, and I absolutely love it, I myself stand at 6'3" tall, and I am not cramped in it like most other smaller cars, I have never had any mechanical problems in the 50,000+ miles I have put on it. I find it is absolutely fantastic to drive, loads of fun, handles great, the 106hp engine seems like a low number, but given the extreme light weight of the car it really seems quick, despite what the rating is, I average roughly 41 mpg between city and highway driving, which is outstanding!!! The seats are a bit stiff for anyone planning to drive distance you may want to stop a take a break once in a while, but for me, I live 17 miles from town, and it just makes the commute a pleasant and affordable experience!! I love this car!!!"