• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2008 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

Based on 946 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Don't buy!

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Starts!"

Cons: "Bad exhaust drone!"

"My truck came with a horrible exhaust drone. Have spent over $500 to date to help eliminate the drone. Was giving me migraines and nausea. Dealer said they were all like this so Toyota did not see it as a problem. Told me to go away and not come back. Toyota knows about the problem. Have told over 30 people not to buy a Tundra. Next thing to do to deal with drone is sound absorbing undercoat or trade in and take a bath on the trade in. Again, don't buy a Tundra. Last note, cup holders won't hold a regular coffee cup, only tapered coffee mugs."

Solid Choice for consumer looking for reliability

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "15 Cup Holders, Sounds Great, Chicks Dig It"

Cons: "Large Trailer Hitch, Size around town, Gas Guzzler"

"I have had this truck for 5 months now, and put roughly 8000 miles on it. I have taken it on 300 mile road trips and around town. It does great on the highway, however gas mileage drastically decreases from 55 to 70 MPH. Around town, the 5.7 Liter V8 is quick off the line. After towing a 4500 lb. boat around (more than 3,000 more than the limit), the truck showed no fatigue or problem. It did struggle, but that should be expected after nearly quadrupling the max. towing. The hitch receiver is very large, and I had to buy an extra large locking pin in order for it to fit. However Toyota has placed the connections for trailer lights above integrated into the bumper as to not rip out cords when you are off roading and rocks are hitting your bumper. The Limited interior is well laid out, providing lots of leather and wood trim. And holy cow! The back seats are massive! My 6'7" 270 pound uncle fits in the back no problem at all! The legroom is incredible. One thing to improve on in the back is that the air conditioning takes a while to reach all the way back, as there is only one small vent for all three back seats while there are 4 vents for the front seats. The rear seats fold up, and the large back door allows you to easily take in and out large, heavy objects. One thing that I wish toyota had put on the truck is an under hood light, as that would have significantly increased the ease of checking your engine (as if you were to ever break down - this truck doesn't do that) at night. The adjustable headlights allow you to not blind the driver in front of you at night when you have 4500 pounds of weight dragging the back end down. The humongous center console could hold a small adult inside of it, and has a charging port inside. The entune navigation system is very user friendly and easily allows you to input destinations, change radio stations, and change vehicle settings. The refreshed exterior is tasteful, but does not show off. The tailgate of the truck is a easy lift and lower tailgate, and you can take if off in 45 seconds. I've timed myself :-). Cup Holders are in no short supply - there are 15 of them. Everything is removable from the truck with some basic tools, so you can add accessories and clean certain bits. I have taken the front and rear seats out several times already to clean the interor of the truck really well. The rear power sliding window (by the way, it it the whole window that slides down, not just a small square of window) drastically improves the airflow through the truck when the windows are down. Despite all the upsides, it is a bit of a lumber bus around town since it is as wide as is legal in the US and is plenty long with the crew cab. Bottom line, I would absolutely reccommend this truck to anyone and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Not to mention, I can run it to ten million miles with just oil changes because its a Toyota!"

I fell very safe in my Rock Warrior.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Safety. Price. Comfort. Handling. Torque. Fun!"

Cons: "Need a lock on gas cover or cap."

"I purchased my Rock Warrior because of it's stats for safety. I am impressed by it's ride and comfort. Most new vehicles the seats dip down' the Tundra are 'flat' and adjustable. Also, the back of the seat is a fantastic height for tall people and do not 'force' you into a 'C' position whereas your shoulders are forced forward. The MPH is not bad for such a large engine. I just pulled a near 8000 lb. older trailer for my son to Texas from Vermont. Yes, the fuel bill was high... but with the tow package; the Rock Warrior was stupendous regarding stability. All I am waiting for is for Toyota to come out with a diesel engine of their own or the Cummings."

overall great truck

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "fast,strong,reliable,nice looking"

Cons: "on the 08, none really"

"I wish they kept all the same features in the limited. now i would have to buy a platinum just to get most of the features i have in my limited. problem is platinum only comes in a crewmax with a shorter bed! Also, the 14's feel cheap inside compared to GMC and Dodge. Sadly, this is why i will not be purchasing a new Tundra. My 08 is a great truck with no real issues."

luxury vehicle disguised as work truck

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "toyota quality"

Cons: "none after 7 1/2 years of ownership"

"although there have been a number of recalls, we did not have any issues. our only repairs were common maintenance. another fine vehicle from Toyota & assembled in texas by AMERICANS."

Mecanical Design Flaw

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "Drives great--very confortable lots of power"

Cons: "unreliable--design flaw that Toyota will not fix"

"These vehicles have a design flaw 2010-2013 models. The seals blow out prematurely on the power steering racks which they changed design/vendors in 2010. Mine just went out at 62k miles and it is $3100 to fix--I looked it up and there are numerous reports of this same problem. It is widespread and systemic. Toyota has done nothing to remedy the situation."

Excellent truck

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Powerfull, Great ride"

Cons: "MPG. But was not my conern on a truck."

"This is my second pick up truck. The first one was a Ford, good truck but had to trade it in for a family car. I was in the market for a pick up truck again in 2011 and my first instinct was to go with Ford. Fortunately, Ford did not have what I wanted (low inventory). Went to test drive the Tundra and was quite surprised at the ride. I decided this was the truck I want and closed the deal."

greaaaat vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I bought it new and never had to take it back to the dealer for anything, Love it. Wish they built a 3/4 ton HD."

Great truck, but a couple of concerns

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I bought the Tundra new and have enjoyed driving it. I use it mostly for commuting, but it has seen plenty of use hauling lumber, drywall, dirt and gravel. The truck still looks great after six years and I plan on keeping it for several more years. Here are the low points/concerns: 1. Front brake discs look sturdy, but they still warped after only 22,000 miles. I had them turned and installed new pads, but that only bought me another 10,000 miles. I upgraded to after market, grooved rotors and get better braking performance with no issues after almost 30,000 miles of use 2. Front bearings rusted and needed replacing at about 45000 miles. The dealer did the work for free, but COME ON TOYOTA, what gives? 3. Seems to be a frequent issue in that the Anti Pollution pump failed at 55,000 miles. Once more, the dealer did the work free of charge; good thing because the darn parts cost about $2000. Things like the bearings and the pump concern me about keeping the vehicle for the long term as they're now out of warranty, but I'm going to stick with the truck for now"

Powerhouse

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Power and Torque"

Cons: "Feeding the kitty"

"This is a strong truck and not for little girls. A lot of torque and 381 horses to match. Don't be fooled, it likes to drink (gasoline) but if you want power, comfort, reliability, and power (I know I said it twice), this is a truck for you. Be careful; black, scratches easily and shows dirt readily, but it is beautiful when it is clean and freshly waxed. This truck rides well and is comfortable in the two front bucket seats. The radio (JBL) cranks and the memory stick interface lets you put your own music into the system seamlessly (on a memory stick- MP3). The back seating area has plenty of room (even at 6'5) and your knees don't touch the back of the front seat."