• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2006 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1205 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Last toyota for me

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Still thinking... Power rear window...?"

Cons: "Poor overall design"

"About six months ago I took the pickup into the local dealership for the frame check recall (they claimed it was not bad enough to replace and sprayed it). Soon after I got it back the rear banjo started to weep (rust). Found out this is not a "safety" issue and Toyota will not do anything for you, so I will have to cough up $800-$1000 for a used axle at junk yard (labor NOT included). Observed the mileage has been slowly dropping (about 4mpg over the past 6-8 months) and the shifter is VERY stiff. Today at just over 140000 miles the check engine light has come on. (O2 sensor? Shifter? Need to read the code.) So far have experienced: - Poor corporate/dealer support - Large blind spots - Engine races when A/C kicks on (better be quick on the brake) - More and more rust issues - Poor dash/switch layout and lighting - Poorly designed e-brake system - Catalytic converter shrouds came loose - Shifter is getting very stiff - Has had a "thud" when taking off from a stop since it was new (have heard it is because there is no grease fitting on the drive-shaft slip-joint) This is not what I expected when I bought this unit, I won't buy another Toyota, ready to buy US again."

Been so happy with it I've hesitated to upgrade.

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Reliable winter transportation"

Cons: "Don't trust the dealership."

"I've got over 220,000 miles on the truck driven in arctic conditions and spent less than $1000 on repairs over 14 years. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and run an injector cleaner with Techron through the system a couple of times a year. It starts at minus 40 and runs quietly. No oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil. Not particularly happy with the dealer but don't care because I don't need to visit them very often."

most dependable truck i ever owned

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "trustworthy"

Cons: "mpg"

"Rough ride ,gas mileage low 15 to 16 but very dependable."

my fav vehicle ever! Tough, reliable, comfortable

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Pros: "great in snow and ice"

Cons: "low fuel economy"

"I love this truck. It performs so well in snow and ice with the snow tires. It is easy to clean and comfortable. Super reliable. It has 200+ miles and drives like its brand new. Great for dogs, kids, road trips, trips to the dump. etc."

Great truck, perfectly sized, excellent power

By on Monday, February 02, 2015

"Bought my Tundra 7 years ago, have put about 52,000 miles more on it. Has been reliable other than some goofy fuel related failures: tank leak, gas cap that set off 'check engine' light, fuel rail leak. Has been a fantastic hauler of furniture, firewood, and occasional boat towing. Has fabulous power from short stroke V8, decent mileage (18mpg is a high average, low as 15 w mixed town and road). And I must say I still love the looks of my stepside, and it is perfectly sized. Not too small, not too big. Easy to park and manuever, never feel like I'm driving a big rig (like 80% of newer half tons.) Biggest complaint: The ride quality of my "TRD Sport" is just flat out rough though. Truck has developed some rattles as a result, and I even bought taller tires to help compensate. Gotten used to it, but new trucks ride like luxury cars by comparison. Love the Tundra, definitely a fan."