• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1218 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

It's All Good Except Brakes

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I love my Tundra, what a great truck. BUT only exception is the braking system. Toyota equipped the truck with calipers that were too small for the weight of the truck which has resulted in warped rotors. I had to get all new brakes and rotors at 27,000 mile. They (Toyota) put on bigger calipers. Still has the same problem, rotors warp with the trucks carry no loads and being driven on flat terrain. I can't afford to keep replacing these rotors being warped by inadequate calipers!"

Good, dependable truck

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I have owned my Tundra V6 SR5 Access Cab since 2002. The truck has proven to be very dependable. We haven't had any trouble except a recall on front ball joints, which was replaced quickly by Toyota. The truck took a hit on the passenger side that resulted in 5000.00 to repair and never drove any different...even before it was repaired. Even with the V6 it has enough power to pull anything we have attached to it, plus we enjoy the extra gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't want to go drag racing or anything, but for normal driving/towing, it does a good job."

Excellent truck

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"I bought this truck new in 2000 and love it! I am giving it to my teenage daughter to drive and am confident it will be a safe and reliable truck for her."

Out of six new cars/trucks this has been THE BEST!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, drive and RELIABILITY!!!!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and turning radius"

"Gas mileage has not been the best but the quality of the build and the reliability of this truck are beyond any vehicle I've owned before and do make up for the mpg. I have 306000 miles on this truck and not a single drop of oil being burnt or left on anybody's driveway. It was not built with noisy mufflers and race car horsepower, just rock solid dependability with the good basic essentials. Great truck that is ten years old and going strong!"

Outstanding vehicle.

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, durable and relatively trouble free."

Cons: "It's a light duty truck tho not a problem for me"

"All things mechanical should perform as well as this truck. I just completed my 180,000 mile maintenance schedule and expect the truck to be as trouble free for the next 50,000 as it was in the past. Mostly I just keep up with oil changes and replace normal wear items like batteries, tires and wiper blades. It has the 4.7 litre V-8 and delivers 20mpg on the road so long as I keep it under 65. It does everything I want it to do and isn't bankrupting me in the process"

Will never buy anything else

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Truck has 214000 mile and still going strong best truck I have ever owned for dependability and durability"

Mechancally sound,confortable, great shape

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Great driving truck ,great shape, no known problems,tires look new..white 4 door , large cab..8,9500.00 firm"

Happy with my Tundra BUT

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle,long ownership"

Cons: "Cheap hardware(knobs,handles,too much plastic)"

"Drove a 1990 pickup with over 350000mi.(speedometer stopped working 3 yrs.prior to purchasing my 2002 Tundra SR3 ext.cab).Ran like a top.The new 2002 has also been very reliable but Had to replace turn knobs for air and heat controls and side window handles twice within 2 yrs of purchase. Although manufacturer has stayed with good running vehicles- they dropped the ball by installing cheap hardware on it."

Super Duty Tundra

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Dependable. Reliable. Cheap to Keep on the Road."

Cons: "Cost of gas."

"I bought the truck new August 2006. 185700 miles later and I am still loving it. It drives almost as good and tight as the day I bought it. No (0) leaks. Does not burn any oil. Average 19+mpg. Max mpg was 23. Lowest I have ever got was 14 when I was pulling a big trailer. 4.7V8. I had a brake problem from day one. When applying brakes it made a horrible racket. It did not matter if it was wet or dry; SQUEEKE, GRIND, and more awful noises. Dealership replaced ALL brake parts around 50k miles. NO problems after this. The A/C blower went out. $120 DIY fix. 4WD performs flawlessly. Transmission works flawlessly. I have pulled a camper and boat with no problems. I LOVE the rear power window and my sun roof - open both, turn on some Hank, and let the good times roll. My 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD has been EXCELLENT!!"

Solid, quiet and smooth. Power and handling exc

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "great handling, smooth, solid"

Cons: "difficult for shorter drivers to operate"

"Excellent truck for around town hauling. easy to handle, good turning radius, roomy. very smooth and quiet on the highway like riding in a luxury car but also feels solid and capable under less than ideal conditions."

Quality Everyday Truck - Toyota did this right!

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Cost of ownership, reliability, ageless design"

Cons: "Wish the 2004 tundras had a 5 or 6 speed tranny"

"Purchased this truck in 2008 as a certified pre-owned from Toyota dealership in Dallas. Went to look at the new Tacoma; but saw this rig sitting in the corner of the used area. Every time I take it in for an oil change, the mechanics tell me how great the truck looks and runs and that it is one of the nicest pre big body tundras they see in their shop. I keep it in a garage and use it mainly for highway driving - sometimes pulling a 16 ft flat bottom aluminum boat. Pulls just fine with or without tow/haul mode engaged. Every once in a while I will hit a dirt trail, and if I had 4 wheel drive I would certainly give it a whirl. In the 80,000 miles that I have put on it here is what I have had to do for maintenance/ repair: - Change Oil and Filter every 5k - Currently on my 2nd set of tires(just bought 2nd set in June) - I installed a K&N cold-air induction and my fuel mileage went to 20.5 hwy/ 16 city from 18/14 - worth every penny! - Passenger electric mirror motor went out, replaced it with dealer part. - A/C knob got loose and would not stay on, replaced it with dealer part. - Driver side interior door handle (not the one that opens the door, just the bar you pull on to pull the door shut) gets loose every 6 months and you have to take the door apart to tighten the nut back up. No biggie. - Had front rotors replaced and new pads installed at the dealership at 110k due to small vibration when braking at speeds above 40mph. After repair - no more vibration. I have owned Ford and Chevy trucks in the past -and this Tundra is superior regarding unscheduled maintenance and cost of ownership outside of monthly payments. Of course, the previous trucks I have owned may not have been cared for as well as this toyota - and I may have not cared for my previous trucks as well as I do this one. However, on my previous trucks there were substantial mechanical issues arising at the 100k mile mark and this Toyota has blown right past that. Would buy this truck again in a heart beat!"

Everything you need and a bit of what you want.

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "Power, Dependability, amenities"

Cons: "rear axle seals, stiff susspension, road noise"

"My 2000 Toyota Tundra has been worth every penny put into it over the last 8 years. It has been dependable as I have moved across the country and taken many a trip. The truck isn't outlandishly large like full size pick ups now a days, yet after all these years it still packs the power to squeal tires at the touch of a pedal. The dash a gauges are laid out in a fashion that allows you easy access without having to direct your attention away from the road. Handling is great and still crisp. The downsides are the rear axle seals burst every couple years and cost a couple hundred bucks to fix. The suspension is a bit stiff leaving small bumps jarring in their own right and the road noise is a bit loud. All in all, my Tundra has been worth every dollar spent and put in."

Awesome truck. Looks good, runs great. RELIABLE!!

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I love this truck. Good looking, reliable, drives like a car. NEVER a mechanical issue in 91,000 flawless miles. No one builds a better truck for the money than Toyota. You work hard for your money, spend it on quality products."

Very comfortable on the highway, ok on back roads.

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

"It's a V-6; I get a steady 18mpg, mostly freeway commuting with no load. I had to replace the exhaust valves at 155,000m,for $3000, and a wheel bearing at 170,000m, for $360. I have done the front brakes once at about 145,000m. These seem reasonable for an 11 yr. old truck with high mileage. I would like better mileage and a stick shift, but this truck is paid for, so I'll drive it a ways yet."

My most enjoyable vehicle since learning to drive

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and sturdy"

Cons: "No backup camera and LCD console"

"The only problem with this truck is that Toyota did not keep this design. It is perfect for the weekend tinkerer."

Best truck I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability, great value, and great resell"

Cons: "None that I can find!"

"Love my 2005 Toyota Tundra! I drive about 80 miles round trip each day for work and for a full sized 4x4 truck with a V8 it gets good gas mileage. I have no complaints about this truck what so ever! I recommend anyone looking for a full/mid sized truck to pick one of these up. And with such a high resell value you can go wrong. I've owned Toyota, Dodge, Nissan, Ford trucks and I always end up going back to a Toyota. Every other brand of truck seems to end up with problems and yet all my Toyota's have never had any major issues. The only issue I have had was a fuel pump and coil pack going out on my Tacoma. And that was after I got up to around 180000 miles on it. If your not sure about spending the extra money on Toyota... DONT! I promise that you wont regret it! But I cant say the same if you buy Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. Toyota Owner for Life!"

BEST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "love love love it"

Cons: "GAS MILAGE IS POOR"

"ALTHOUGH ITS AN INCREDIBLE VEHICLE THE GAS IS KILLING ME BUT I STILL LOVE IT WOOULDNT TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD UNLESS ITS FOR A NEWER ONE!!!"

Great Truck

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "well built nice looking truck, love 20" rims."

Cons: "needs more power, wide turning radius."

2004 Toyota Tundra D-cab

"Very solid truck. I have an sr5 4wd. other than being down on power versus others it get the job done well. Towed plenty of loads over 5k lbs no problem. My only issue is that it turns slow and wide."

2004 Toyota Tundra D-cab

Great truck. Has always done the job.

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Reliability."

Cons: "Turning radius."

"If there was a complaint about the truck I would have two. First, each time filling up the truck, it is almost impossible to set the auto fill at the gas station, the way of the design always shuts it off after 5 seconds. The second, the turning radius. I need 3.5 to 4 lanes to make a u-turn. Having been in some SUV's, they only need 2 to 2.5 and simply turning in some parking lots can be a challenge with this truck. Knowing this, I would not have changed my decision to purchase. Have had it for 7 years and have changed the tires and battery, everything else runs as it did on the day it was purchased. Also had the 2001 and used that experience to purchase the 2004. Will look in 2 years to purchase the 2014 Tundra."

My Tundra? Awesome...no other way to say it!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Durable/Reliable/Comfortable/Cost of ownership..."

Cons: "Low fuel economy..."

"My 2000 Toyota Tundra 4.7L/V8 4WD was built in June of 2000 in Indiana, U.S.A.! The company may be japanese, but my truck is american. I purchased it used in 2002, for a steal, $16,500 (with a '95 Chevy in trade - it had issues!)! Just looked it up on Kelley Blue Book and is still worth over $8500! Except for normal wear, it's still in great shape, I have done routine maintenance, some minor warrantee-covered repairs, and had a nearly trouble-free ownership experience. The body style gives away its' age, many can't believe it's going on 12 years old. The compliant ride; smooth handling; rattle-free interior with scanty wear; trouble-free mechanical/electrical; all these add up to the best vehicle I've ever owned! The only problem I've had is failing O2 sensors and w/ the check engine light that goes with them - and poor fuel mileage. I am told that the O2 sensors may be partly to blame for the mileage average of only 10-12 mpg, this may be true as I used to get an average 16-18 mpg -- but even this is less than I would have hoped for. Problem is the O2 sensors are $100/ea. and there are four of them to replace, add the labor to that and it gets cost prohibitive -- even considering the efficiency gain, still doesn't pay to replace them. It doesn't change my opinion of this truck, it is AWESOME, and I'll keep it until it gets too expensive to fix -- hopefully, then I'll find a good deal on a new Tundra!"

One tough truck

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "durability"

Cons: "turning radius is kinda wide"

"I have 140K on mine and its kinda loud and creaky around town, but I kill this thing everyday. Loaded up with 2000 lbs all the time and when its not, its getting jumped like dune buggy. Oil is still quite clean at 3000 miles and the engine runs excellent. Hit a deer with front bumper at 60 mph with very little damage. not even a fog light. Many thoughtful features , but an AC plug in the bed would be awesome. powerful steering , great brakes, and tough underbody( fuel tank, exhaust, ect...)"

Great truck! Couldn't have picked a better one!

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, well designed all-around"

Cons: "paid a little too much for mine"

"I've owned my 2005 Tundra for 6 years... and have never had it in the shop any mechanical or engine trouble! Great for hauling anything and everything. Only downside was that I think I paid a bit too much (for the access cab model) when I bought it. But the truck has more than made up for that in reliability and just being an all-around great vehicle. I would definitely buy another Tundra... but the way this one is holding up, I may never have to. 2 pull-out cup holders two in the pull-down console, great console for storing necessities, comfortable seating (back seats a little cramped for adults but not too bad - it's an access cab, but perfect for my kids). Nice sound system. I replaced the stereo but kept the original speakers and amp - sounds great! Fuel efficiency is about what you'd expect for a V6 pickup - around 18mpg to 22mpg around town."

great truck

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"I have the Tundra double cab, it is my second Tundra and fourth toyota. I have a family of 4 and we fit comfortly. We have taken it on many long road trips and nobody has complained of being cramped and I have teenage boys not small children. I have taken it off roading, and it performed perfectly. It does good in snow, I would advise 4 wheel drive as the rear end is light like all trucks and will slip with the power. I have a 20' bayliner and I have towed it as far as 350 miles, and still managed around 16mpg while towing at 65mph, so power not an issue. I would recommend this truck to anyone, and I personally will never own a different vehicle then the Tundra."

2001 Tundra Limited 4WD TRD

By on Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Still going strong at 150,000 miles, used as a work truck by a field geologist on every back way, side road, jeep track, and rabbit trail you could think of, and all I have ever had to replace are spark plugs, brake pads, 4 windshields (gravel from roads), and normal maintenance. Killed a 1,200 lb. cow elk at 60 mph with it in 2003, and I never left the roadway and was not injured at all."

Good Solid Full Size Truck

By on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I purchased this truck at the end of the 2006 model year with huge discount as the new monster versions of the Tundra were coming out and the dealer wanted to get rid of the old model year. THE PROS: This truck is derided as being only 7/8 scale compared to a full size truck. This is an advantage, not a defect; and it is not really true. I park next to a 1990's Chevy at work and this Tundra is slightly larger than older full-size American trucks. This truck can easily take 20 sheets of sheetrock or a load of tile that will do most kitchens without complaining. The bed is full sized, but doesn't have the high sides like the new truck-which I like because it allows me to reach over the side to retrieve items rather than have to crawl into the bed. I think the official load rating for the truck is 1250 lbs, so just over 1/2T. The 4.0L V-6 has plenty of power and is very fuel efficient with my mileage typically in the 19-22 MPG range. With the 22 gal fuel tank, the range is over 400 miles. I don't pull trailers, so can't comment on that. Ground clearance is good and the truck handles an old rutted gravel road with no complaints. The access cab backseat folds up and is good for hauling luggage and other items out of the rain and keeping them secure. CONS: The front seats are not comfortable for long trips (over 4 hours is painful for me), but ok for around town. The access cab rear seat will sit two small adults for short trips, but more than 30 minutes would be considered torture. I wish that I had purchased the full 4-door truck. I don't like how the main door and access door open opposite of each other. Is ok when in a wide open space, and actually makes for a very wide opening, but in a shopping center parking lot with another vehicle next to you, it is nearly impossible to get your groceries into the truck. Turning radius is not great on this truck, but no worse than my brother's old Dodge. Overall, I like this truck and would recommend to anyone. Toyota build quality is as expected and I have no issues whatsoever in 60K of driving. I just put new tires on the truck, but have not even had to do a brake job at this point."