• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2003 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1169 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Out of six new cars/trucks this has been THE BEST!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, drive and RELIABILITY!!!!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and turning radius"

"Gas mileage has not been the best but the quality of the build and the reliability of this truck are beyond any vehicle I've owned before and do make up for the mpg. I have 306000 miles on this truck and not a single drop of oil being burnt or left on anybody's driveway. It was not built with noisy mufflers and race car horsepower, just rock solid dependability with the good basic essentials. Great truck that is ten years old and going strong!"

Cannot compare

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE"

Cons: "WONT DIE SO I CAN BUY A NEW ONE"

"i have owned 7 toyotas and will never cheat on THE TOYOTA BRAND."

Best ruck I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Extremely reliable"

"I bought this 2002 Tundra new and have driven all 212,000 miles on this truck. I will replace it with another Tundra when the time comes."

I have bought 5 NEW Toyota TRUCKS since 1999.

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, legroom, and with a 4:10 rear end - SPEED"

Cons: "Legroom??"

"Only problem - LEG ROOM - 3 foot inseam - that's 36 inches! Have to BUY comfort. I only drive 45,000 to 50,000 miles a YEAR! All trucks were NEW, and I have enjoyed every MILE! Looking at the new Highlander(?) Wife has 2011, but no leg- room. They don't get good gas mileage, BUT WHAT RESALE!!!!!"

Best vehicle (including cars) ever.

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Solid, comfy, reliable, powerful, dependable."

Cons: "Brakes shudder. Suicide doors awkward."

"I have been the sole owner of this vehicle; it was purchased brand new. The ride is that of a luxury car (my 80-year old mother says it's the most comfortable vehicle in which she has ever ridden). The interior is quiet and spacious. The suspension is rock-solid--despite having driven it off road, I've only had to have one wheel alignment in 14 years. It drives like a luxury car as well. The engine is solid and provides great torque for passing and towing, but it's not the worst gas mileage: 19 hwy and 11 city. It has never broken down on me, but of course I take great care of it like the jewel it is. I've only had to put oil, brakes, and tires on it. It has never leaked a drop of fluid. For preventive maintenance, I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100K miles. I've only had two issues with it. The first and only significant one is that there is something wrong with the brake design. I'm told it's due to having put rotors on the vehicle which are too small for the truck; after a while the rotors warp due to excessive heat and the brakes can shudder badly. (But they still work fine.). When I replaced the breaks I had them put larger, ventilated rotors on and that helped a lot until the wear got below 75%, then the shuddering started again--less strongly, but still quite noticeably. But I have never had a safety issue with the brakes, even in emergency situations. The second issue is the suicide doors. They are awkward in a parking lot because the front door has to be opened before the back door can be opened. Tough when you have a car next to you, and makes it difficult to load a person or a dog into the back seat. But I solve this problem by parking away from other cars. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker. I just can't say enough about my Tundra. It is simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. All cars & trucks should be made like this!!! The only reason I will ever get rid of it is if I , my mom, or my dog can no longer step up and down to get in or out of it."