• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2002 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1215 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Last toyota for me

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Still thinking... Power rear window...?"

Cons: "Poor overall design"

"About six months ago I took the pickup into the local dealership for the frame check recall (they claimed it was not bad enough to replace and sprayed it). Soon after I got it back the rear banjo started to weep (rust). Found out this is not a "safety" issue and Toyota will not do anything for you, so I will have to cough up $800-$1000 for a used axle at junk yard (labor NOT included). Observed the mileage has been slowly dropping (about 4mpg over the past 6-8 months) and the shifter is VERY stiff. Today at just over 140000 miles the check engine light has come on. (O2 sensor? Shifter? Need to read the code.) So far have experienced: - Poor corporate/dealer support - Large blind spots - Engine races when A/C kicks on (better be quick on the brake) - More and more rust issues - Poor dash/switch layout and lighting - Poorly designed e-brake system - Catalytic converter shrouds came loose - Shifter is getting very stiff - Has had a "thud" when taking off from a stop since it was new (have heard it is because there is no grease fitting on the drive-shaft slip-joint) This is not what I expected when I bought this unit, I won't buy another Toyota, ready to buy US again."

Been so happy with it I've hesitated to upgrade.

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Reliable winter transportation"

Cons: "Don't trust the dealership."

"I've got over 220,000 miles on the truck driven in arctic conditions and spent less than $1000 on repairs over 14 years. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and run an injector cleaner with Techron through the system a couple of times a year. It starts at minus 40 and runs quietly. No oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil. Not particularly happy with the dealer but don't care because I don't need to visit them very often."

most dependable truck i ever owned

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "trustworthy"

Cons: "mpg"

"Rough ride ,gas mileage low 15 to 16 but very dependable."

my fav vehicle ever! Tough, reliable, comfortable

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Pros: "great in snow and ice"

Cons: "low fuel economy"

"I love this truck. It performs so well in snow and ice with the snow tires. It is easy to clean and comfortable. Super reliable. It has 200+ miles and drives like its brand new. Great for dogs, kids, road trips, trips to the dump. etc."

Great truck, perfectly sized, excellent power

By on Monday, February 02, 2015

"Bought my Tundra 7 years ago, have put about 52,000 miles more on it. Has been reliable other than some goofy fuel related failures: tank leak, gas cap that set off 'check engine' light, fuel rail leak. Has been a fantastic hauler of furniture, firewood, and occasional boat towing. Has fabulous power from short stroke V8, decent mileage (18mpg is a high average, low as 15 w mixed town and road). And I must say I still love the looks of my stepside, and it is perfectly sized. Not too small, not too big. Easy to park and manuever, never feel like I'm driving a big rig (like 80% of newer half tons.) Biggest complaint: The ride quality of my "TRD Sport" is just flat out rough though. Truck has developed some rattles as a result, and I even bought taller tires to help compensate. Gotten used to it, but new trucks ride like luxury cars by comparison. Love the Tundra, definitely a fan."

Great truck. Bought new and still love it!

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "Bullet proof!"

"This is a Great truck! I bought it new in October of 2002 and it has been a joy to own! Never a problem in 12 years and it still looks and runs like new!"

Good truck, detail mechanics lacking.

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

"I like the truck. I have 95,000 on it. No major complaints. Ths only problem is attention to detail. Interior detail lacking quality. Many of the latches are broken. The HVAC knobs are broken and glued. Sear coming apart. Just not the quality (2006) of earlier Tundas."

love my tundra!

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "styling, comfort, power,ride, resale, fuel economy"

Cons: "expensive , smaller than other "full size" trucks"

"if you want a nice looking, reliable, tough, roomy , comfortable truck that rides smooth and will tow your average boat camper or trailer with your wife and kids then you found the right truck. its about 7/8 scale of a full size truck for the 2006 but it will hold its value better than any other truck out there except maybe a chevy or gmc. its easy (er) on the fuel than the others, too. its a great truck and I love mine!"

Love This Truck!!

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Vehicle, Worth Every Penny"

"I purchased my 2005 Toyota Tundra used with 177K miles almost seven years ago. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.It rides like a cadillac doesnt feel like most trucks, it's extremely comfortable! I love the power back glass it has came in handy a lot.It doesnt get the best gas mileage, but better than most trucks! I currently have 248K miles on the truck now and you would never be able to tell by the way it drives.I replaced timing belt when i purchased it only because I know its supposed to be done at 100K other that that ive had to replace the altinator once, battery once, and tires of course!This has been a great vehicle and I would purchase one again when this one has reached its lifespan but I feel that is going to be a while till that happens!"

Excellent vehichle still drives like new.

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "dependability and comfort rides like a car"

"Love this truck very dependable.just time for a change"